• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Testing the Limits of Mass Effect Andromeda's Character Creator

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Hmmm, can definitely tell that the defaults were based off of actual people compared to the other presets. Huge difference. :|

A-V-B

Kinda what I feared. There are only going to be about 8 or 9 Ryder faces per gender because they're locked into face scans. Even if you modify some sliders you know exactly where they're from. No mixing and matching going on.

All I can hope is that the "Custom" option offers more flexibility.

Rad-

Can't wait to see people's characters.

giphy.gif

Not very good character customisation for a AAA 2017 game. Absolutely no body adjustment, such as muscle, height or limb size? No voice pitch changing? Or am I missing something here?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That dude at the end of the video was kinda crazy lol.

What are those scaly textures on the cheeks if it's not tatoos? Glitch?

Teletraan1

Banned
So the preset female faces are all terrible. FemRyder default was bad enough but some of those other ones look like prison mugshots.

Lime

Wanted to see more of the hair options, but it looks pretty decent so far. I'm sure the community and others will be able to make some great looking Ryders that are better than the presets.

Dinda

Awful as expected. Seriously Bioware, just hire a few guys from some random MMO and let them make your character creator.

And the bodies look so weird in Andromeda, with their way to short legs.

edit.
No. You will be only large headed tween sized.
C6pvwJhU8AA8BAP.jpg

yeah, exactly that!

Fedelias

There's something about the eyes in this game that really bothers me. They look so dead, it adds this creepy stiffness to every character.

Jocund

Major step back from the Inquisition creator. That game's use of grids and whatnot was pretty good. This just goes back to the stupid sliders. Why?

And the eyes do look dead. Witcher is one of the few RPGs to get eyes on characters right. They're vibrant and animated without being cartoonish.

hydruxo

Hair still looks like garbage in this engine, just like it did in Inquisition. What a shame. Honestly though I'll probably just go with default Ryder, just not sure if I want to go with Scott or Sara.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Wanted to see more of the hair options, but it looks pretty decent so far. I'm sure the community and others will be able to make some great looking Ryders that are better than the presets.

Having to work on Thursday means that hopefully we'll get some good face codes up and running, yeah.

I do think the default Sara looks better than previous videos showed (somewhat intangibly so), but while none of the other faces are as bad as 'default' ME3 femshep, they're not great either.

There's something about the eyes in this game that really bothers me. They look so dead, it adds this creepy stiffness to every character.

Yeah, they seem to be either not 'tracking' quite as well, or are just missing some level of 'sheen' to them that ME3 had.

Dinda

As good as Frostbite was for great environments etc. It was really a major step back for Bioware in the character faces department.

Everything looks like it is some sort of comic style, even though i'm sure they are actually trying to make them look realistic.....

Toa TAK

Banned
Honestly, I don't ever really expect much on this front. I keep saying it but Fallout 3 was the character creator I had the best experience with. Having a few ethnic sets to build a foundation on was super helpful.

Also, eyes in Mass Effect haven't been good since 2, at least in motion.

I'll do what I normally do in that my primary I'll just base off my beautiful face and then use default FemRyder for the secondary.

FHIZ

Honestly was hoping they just lifted DA:I's creator so I could take my settings and have the same looking character.

Anyways, feel like I'm going to wait a week and see what some people with way more pertinence that I come up with and use their sliders. Not sticking with the vanilla protagonist this time around.

It was always funny to me how these BioWare RPGs have seemingly increased the focus on romancing but still have these absolutely terrible character creators. I can't think of anything more appealing than having a lifeless looking husk getting it on with a virtual character!

As someone who loves character creation, this looks disappointing. Character seems like they'd look out of place among the main crew if they aren't default, and not in a good way.

Top Bottom