• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most underrated punctuation mark

While I'm a bit of a stickler for proper semantics, on occasion, I have been known to be somewhat of a punctuation anarchist. But sometimes I actually want to make an effort and write properly, grammar, punctuation, and the rest. And when I do, there is one punctuation mark I make sure to give its proper due: the colon.

I mean, look at this beautiful thing:

7b7d1nd.jpg

Straightforward, yet elegant, its presence makes your text more assertive, and anything that follows it is given more prominence. Yet, I see so many people ignoring it. Truly a sad state of affairs.

Which punctuation mark do you feel is the most underrated, underutilized, and just plain-old rudely ignored?

ZOONAMI

Yeah people just use commas instead of semi colons or colons, which is annoying, but what can you do.

Edit: I must be high or something.
Also, some of those seem to be bordering on being run-on sentences, and could use a semi-colon.

Semi-colon for lyfe.

Going to make a thread someday about the rampant abuse of 'underrated' or 'overrated' as the hollowest of platforms from which to express an opinion, because it's often an unearned identification as an underdog or minority position in a fight that literally nobody else is fighting.

The colon is a standard punctuation mark that everyone learns to use at around age ten.

oxford comma. Was taught not to use it in the early 80s in Australia. Now that I'm living in Europe, I'm using it again.

so good.

The two symbols making up ^_^ are all I need to feel young again.

Edit: Even though I don't think those symbols are punctual marks.. Whoops

Therion

Ah, the old dotted-period, signifying a 50% longer pause at the end of a sentence. Never found much use for it myself.

Fuchsdh

I'm probably too much of a sucker for using semi colons and em-dashes, but I love them just the same—especially the ability of the em dash to convey a pace to your writing that can sometimes be hard to express.

LordKasual

Banned
oxford comma. Was taught not to use it in the early 80s in Australia. Now that I'm living in Europe, I'm using it again.

so good.

I was taught not to do that in school as well, but it's stupid, and I dont know why people don't just naturally do this.

Anyway, it's the semicolon; nobody ever uses it.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I also really like the word ampersand, and enjoy writing one when I need to: &

It dawns on me I lead a fairly joyless existence.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
In Spanish, it's probably the opening question and exclamation marks ("¡" and "¿"). Nobody ever uses them, unless they're writing a formal text. I'm no exception, and I only use them when I'm feeling pretentious enough or want to sound smarter than I am.

What the...? Today I learned this is a thing. Plus the name is awesome: interrobang. How on earth did I miss it all this time‽

Nachos

Any of y'all saying the tilde better not be saying it because it's used so much in Japanese translations.

The em-dash —

I like the en-dash more, since, typographically, it can do everything the em-dash can and more. Still, more people need to know the difference between -, –, and —.

Em-Dash Every thing else is a poor man's hyphen and all PhD candidates "must learn to use it properly" (according to my supervisors).
http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/em-dash.html

Type "ALT 0151" and you too can unlock this magical symbol

Please. Alt + 0150 for life.

Woorloog

Banned
The em-dash —

I never understood why there is need for different dashes. The context makes it clear what it is, no? Per Wikipedia, seems to be dating from typewriter days, maybe.

As for em-dash being underrated... I doubt most people know how to make one (even if they're aware of its existence). I know i don't. Looking at my keyboard, minus and dash keys have different length lines, but both create same symbol.

EDIT Seems people talked about this already. The problem with alt-#### symbols is that they're slow to write, and on laptops, might not be possible at all (eg my old laptop didn't accept alt-Fn+numbers/numpad-equivalents).

Top Bottom