• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you believe the Killzone 2 footage was "real"

KarishBHR

Sony's Stumbles
Friday, May 25, 2007
By Allen Wagner | Games/Technology

If there was one event that began the slow and continuing downfall of Sony’s game division, it was probably the jaw-dropping Killzone 2 (now Killzone 3) trailer for the PlayStation 3, at E3 in 2005:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ko9xC6TMdiw

The video was trying to show off what the PlayStation 3 would be capable of, and if you watched the preceding clip you probably noticed how amazing and realistic the action seems. Sony didn’t actually deceive anybody with the awesome footage; they just misled the gaming world. Showing off something as superb as that without saying it was pre-rendered (rather than created in real-time) is a bit like holding out a hamburger hologram to a starving child.

That whole incident passed, and at the Electronics Entertainment Expo in 2006, there was no mention of Killzone – the word wasn’t even uttered. Of course, this E3 would be notorious for Sony’s terrible press conference. It was one shocker after another: they pulled back promises they made in 2005 for PS3, they revealed their “innovative” controller, and announced a sticker price of $599.99 for the supposedly revolutionary system.

Now, just over one year later with the PlayStation 3 already released, Sony has a lot of work to do to catch up to Microsoft and Nintendo. Sony is not only behind in console sales, they are also losing a massive amount of money in their gaming division thanks to the fact that their console costs $241 dollars more to make than they sell it for. When all is said and done, there is only one way for Sony to scratch its way back into things – better GAMES.

If they can release some stellar titles this holiday season and compete directly with games like Halo 3, Half-Life 2: Orange Box, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, they have a good chance to make up some ground. Some of their biggest titles like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy 13, are still a year away and the 2007 release list doesn’t look all that promising for them. We’ll have to see what happens later this year, but as it stands right now, they are behind and are continuing to lose ground to the two Redmond heavyweights.

Makes me think about the impact that day had on the PS3. So did you or did you not believe the hype.

At the time I was a new 360 owner and was praying that it wasn't for real, not because I was such a fanboy, but because I was playing games like Kameo at the time and i thought the PS3 was going to offer this out of the gate

The trailer was released while I was "lapsed" as a gamer, so when the footage was shown to me by a friend, I believed it.

Not even close. It most likely will turn out great though; it has hmm. "Potential" I really hope they do something great with the game.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy 13, are still a year away and the 2007 release list doesn’t look all that promising for them.
I'm sorry but I completely disagree, I think they've got a pretty awesome lineup of games this fall. There's pretty much something for everyone

jman2050

I'll admit I was suckered in by the Killzone footage. It was and still is amazing to watch, and I ended up showing all my friends and talking about it for quite some time. At the time I was sold on the PS3 hype and mentally penciling in the purchase in my head. So yeah, I'd say Sony succeeded at what they set out to do at E3 05, at least in my case.

Of course, an extra year of life and Sony's abysmal E3 06 made me make a complete 180. I'm excited about games on the PS3, but I don't anticipate owning one for another 2-3 years, if at all.

disc

Banned
Nothing in the Killzone trailer said realtime or even ingame and I don't think anyone believed it.

I was almost tricked by the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter trailer though because there they faked a HUD as well. But aiming separate from the center of the screen and very good lighting, particle effects and animations said that was fake.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Eh the first time I saw it I wanted it to be true so badly that I believed it... But then after minutes later watching the G4 coverage my hopes were so quickly destroyed by Morgan Webb :(

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I had some hope that it was the PS3's MGS2 moment for me (who's trailer floored me, and many, back then. So unbelievable), but I saw the Motorstorm video before that,a nd smelled the bulshit on that one easy.

But the fact that it wasn't oerfect did keep me wondering. The flames(/thrower?) in particular looked so imperfect that I held out hope, but the detail, framerate, and scale counteracted that.

KarishBHR said:
At the time I was a new 360 owner and was praying that it wasn't for real, not because I was such a fanboy, but because I was playing games like Kameo at the time and i thought the PS3 was going to offer this out of the gate

The Killzone thing was before the 360 release.

I don't remember if I had waited till it broke that it was CG to see the video or if I was just unimpressed by the thing, but the only thing I remember was thinking it was all a huge over-reaction.

farnham

Banned
I wasnt that impressed at all..

Sure it looked great and all.. But it was just better graphics ... and i always thought better graphics alone dont make a game...

Joe

i still can't believe people think/thought the game would look like that.

it was one of those 'too good to be true' moments

farnham said:

Sure it looked great and all.. But it was just better graphics ... and i always thought better graphics alone dont make a game...

It was alot more than better graphics, unless you consider things like animation and the choreographed "AI" graphics.

Safe Bet

Banned
WOW

Downfall?

I wouldn't wipe my ass with that piece of viral marketing fud spreading trash some moron is calling an article, let alone read it.

It time like this that I boggle at how true MGS2 is...

The control of information and what people precieve to be the truth is greater than all...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I did. But I really suck at guaging what's impressive, unless I see a side by side comparison.

Dai Kaiju

At first, yeah. I mean...Kaz even said that the following demos were in real time. That sure was some sneaky wording.

edit:
Wollan said:
Do anyone have the link to the thread where our first impressions dropped?

That, I would love to see.

Borys

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:

Wow.

I didn't believe it, not after we saw what the 360 coul produce ATM and what the best of the best PC games were available ATM and finally because I remembered what were the BEST technical demos on the PC ATM (3DMark06 and nVidia's tech demos).

stalker

KarishBHR said:
At the time I was a new 360 owner and was praying that it wasn't for real, not because I
was such a fanboy, but because I was playing games like Kameo at the time and i thought the PS3 was going to offer this out of the gate

totally wrong

Safe Bet

Banned
Oh Jesus, Allah, Budda stop this now.
Dude...

I get it, your stupid...

There's no need to keep pointing it out every time someone mentions something that's over your head...

Edit: Yes the fact that I have spelling errors in this post is ironic...

I doubted it.

I wanted to believe it was real, but I know better.

Having been playing the shit out of Killzone deathmatch with a friend this weekend; I hope KZ2 brings the goods. It's an enjoyable game, but could benefit greatly from some tweaking (i.e. Keep vaulting in multiplayer for crissakes![/i]).

tHoMNZ said:
IT WAS REALTIME

please support my site
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/
67o6bno.gif

Safe Bet said:
You can point out grammatical errors...

I'm impressed...
+99

I know Sony are spending a lot of money.. if the finished product doesn't end up like that then I shall not be suprised.. however I expect it to be close to that level in terms of animation and scripting.

Either way.. the video seemed like it was a best-of from what they intend to do, the video was far too consistent in providing everything a good FPS offers in a short period of time.
There was no consistency to the action or moments where you have control.

The actual level of graphics had nothing to do with my decision.. I based it solely on the fact that too much was going on even for an epic set-piece.
It would be overwhelming. Instead I see it more of a message from Guerilla saying this is what we want to deliver.

The only foul play here was suggesting that it was in-game.

fushi

No. I don't believe in anything Sony says or does until 1) it has been confirmed by independent sources or 2) I see it with my own eyes.

Safe Bet

Banned
OMG!! IT'S JUST LIKE MGS2!!!
OMG LETS USE CHILDISH RHETORIC TO BELITTLE OTHERS IN AN EFFORT TO GET THEM TO STOP EXPRESSING WHAT THEY THINK!!!

Edit: Its also quite ironic this could be said of my post calling another person stupid....

*slap forhead*

tribal24

Banned
well at the time i thought it was like a mixture of both it kinda represented killzone very well i thought it was cg and gameplay -_- but once he handed him the rocket launcher im like this cant be real.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
What's so great about that trailer? It looks like those scenes are choreographed for the sake of being dramatic. The PS3 probably is capable of graphics like that but that is not an actual gameplay scene.

Visualante said:
I know Sony are spending a lot of money.. if the finished product doesn't end up like that then I shall not be suprised.. however I expect it to be close to that level in terms of animation and scripting.

Either way.. the video seemed like it was a best-of from what they intend to do, the video was far too consistent in providing everything a good FPS offers in a short period of time.
There was no consistency to the action or moments where you have control.

The actual level of graphics had nothing to do with my decision.. I based it solely on the fact that too much was going on even for an epic set-piece.
It would be overwhelming. Instead I see it more of a message from Guerilla saying this is what we want to deliver.

The only foul play here was suggesting that it was in-game.

Yes, this is sort of what I was trying to say.

shitty "article". and yeah, i believed it... i think.

farnham said:

:lol :lol

Top Bottom