• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII may be at 100% development power [Up: Direct Translation]

Update:

duckroll directly translated the quote, and there is some debate that it might not imply what the original title was.

Direct Translation:

Q.ヴェルサスやアギトではなくなぜ13-2を出すのか?

A.FF13で作り上げたキャラクターや世界観を1作品で終わらせるのはもったいないと思った。新ハードに移って最初のハードであるFF13の開発は苦労したが、今は自信が付いた。(FF13-2によって他作品が遅れるということはなく)ヴェルサスや零式は100%の力で開発をしています。

Q: So why did you decide to make FF13-2 in addition to Versus and Agito?

A: It would be a waste to only use the characters and world of FF13 for just one game. When we started working on new hardward, the development of FF13 was very hard at first, but now we have gained confidence from that. For Versus and Type-0 we are giving 100% to development.

Original:

At yesterday’s Fan Meeting, staff members Motomu Toriyama and Yoshinori Kitase were quizzed on a number of things FINAL FANTASY.

Kitase briefly commented on FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII, the only member of the Fabula Nova Crystallis compilation still shrouded in mystery. He says that “Type-0 and Versus XIII have of course advanced to 100% development power.” It should be noted, however that the team has used their know-how from developing FINAL FANTASY XIII in order to create XIII-2 with a much shorter development period, and as such, the reason why it will release ahead of time.

Source

Lots of people were worried about development, so that's something.

Beth Cyra

So Vs is completed?

Seriously though a weird way to describe Agito when it ships in a month. Maybe the PS3/Vita port is going well.

bangai-o

Banned
100%
15305-frieza_full_power_super.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
TruePrime said:
So Vs is completed?

Seriously though a weird way to describe Agito when it ships in a month. Maybe the PS3/Vita port is going well.

No, it just means they're at 100% production right now. The team isn't split to work on other projects, etc.

Mailenstein said:
How old is the latest Versus media actually and are they going to give us an update at TGS this year?
If I remember correctly, Nomura said Versus wasn't going to make an appearance at TGS. But then again, he could always play the closed mega theater card.

Kagari said:
No, it just means they're at 100% production right now. The team isn't split to work on other projects, etc.
which is weird considering the FFXIII-2 trademark. Maybe they intend on finishing Versus first? Or maybe they'll branch off again in the future.

jeremy1456 said:
They should fire Kitase and Nomura.
I hate you.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm guessing that means XIII-2 is gold, we could see Versus fall next year in Japan, worldwide before the end of fiscal... The dream is alive.

Thoraxes

Good to see it's finally that time. I expected it was probably as much. Hopefully they do good after this then now that the XIII-2 team is wrapping things up.

StuBurns said:
I'm guessing that means XIII-2 is gold, we could see Versus fall next year in Japan, worldwide before the end of fiscal... The dream is alive.
Recent interview said 90%.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
jeremy1456 said:
They should fire Kitase and Nomura.

And kill off the better ones? They should get rid of Toriyama.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nomura said they already have a date set for the next reveal, so of course the game is coming along more than he can publicly show.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
You know its some serious shit when the development update is pretty much referred to as a full Limit Break bar

StuBurns

Banned
Thoraxes said:
Recent interview said 90%.
That makes more sense really, once they were content complete I'd imagine they'd have an army of asset producers move on to Versus, leaving bug crunch/QA on XIII-2 to get finished.

Nix

Banned
Oh, fuck off S-E. The exact same bullshit they've been spewing for the past three years. What, didn't they say they were in full production then? Now they're telling us they're going to 100%? Yeah, okay.

I'll see you bastards, and Versus in 2016; first DQ and then the world.

Kyoufu

Nix said:
Oh, fuck off S-E. The exact same bullshit they've been spewing for the past three years. What, didn't they say they were in full production then? Now they're telling us they're going to 100%? Yeah, okay.

No...

Take your meds.

Reveirg

ezekial45 said:
2013 seems like a safe bet.

I'm actually more optimistic... the fact that they've witheld so much information lately... I believe the next reveal, which will probably happen at Jump Festa or January/February, will be a big one, akin to Type-0's full gameplay and demonstration we got a few months back, with the game's release coming a few months after. My guess is:

2011 Holidays : FFXIII-2 release
2012 Holidays : FFVS XIII release
2013 Holidays : FFXIII-3 release
2014 Holidays : FFXV release, developed by Ito!

Of course, I'm kind of drunk right now, and this is mostly hopeful thinking :D

Dedication Through Light said:
Well I hope this means a release in mid-late 2012.
I could see Japan getting Q3/Q4 2012, the question is how they are going to handle the localization. I hope they do it simultaneously rather than afterwards.

Beth Cyra

Nix said:

Not really, in fact up until quite recently Nomura always said something to the effect of trying to get fans to put VS out of our minds cause it was so far off.

jackdoe

however that the team has used their know-how from developing FINAL FANTASY XIII in order to create XIII-2 with a much shorter development period, and as such, the reason why it will release ahead of time
This part of the quote was particularly funny. Less know how, more reused assets, eh? Haha.

Anyway, they seriously announced Versus XIII way too early.

Nix

Banned
Kyoufu said:
No...

Take your meds.
Face the truth man; face that truth. I'm not sure they said full production, but I do vaguely remember them saying something about developing, and being nearly done, about 2 years ago.

Thoraxes

Nix said:
Face the truth man; face that truth. I'm not sure they said full production, but I do vaguely remember them saying something about developing, and being nearly done, about 2 years ago.
You should check out the thread Kagari made about their development process. It explains everything and how they define specific terms in relation to their company.

Kyoufu

Nix said:

No, they really didn't. :lol

Nomura's team has had to help with FFXIII and who knows what else. They have never stated anything about Versus XIII even being anywhere near full production or completion.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
-Pyromaniac- said:
I could see Japan getting Q3/Q4 2012, the question is how they are going to handle the localization. I hope they do it simultaneously rather than afterwards.

A lot of their localizations are now done simultaneously.

StuBurns

Banned
Nix said:
I think you're wrong.

They said it went into active production a while ago.

For like five years the game was practically pre-production design work.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I think announcing a game before it's even in full production should be outlawed, or fine-able or something.

This game was announced over five years ago. Five. Years. Ago. And it's only now entering 100% production? That's just... *ugh*

jackdoe

StuBurns said:
I think you're wrong.

They said it went into active production a while ago.

For like five years the game was practically pre-production design work.
All that pre-production work must mean that it is guaranteed to have an excellent story right? Haha.

One other thing I find hilarious with S-E localizations is that the Japanese version pretty much places such IMPORTANCE on who is going to be selected to voice the characters, that it becomes almost a mini-event when it's announced. For the English VA, it's handled so nonchalantly or not even mentioned at all.

This is good news. Any little tidbit of Versus news is better than nothing I say. I can not wait till the day when they just have a media blowout for this game. I will love that.

Top Bottom