• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let me tell you a story about how I scam people on eBay and pretend to be the victim

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaoni

Banned
I listed 2 digital codes on eBay for a buy it now price or best offer. The cheaper one went for a lower offer but the more expensive sold straight up for the asking price. The alert for the auction ending was what me got up out of bed from the android app.

I said I would send the item by whatever method the buyer wanted in the description. Buyer asked for me to send it to an email address as part of a note in the purchase. Being groggy as fuck at 4am I did as asked before investigating a little while after. The buyer had 0 feedback and the Paypal email was different than the one they asked me to send to. Paypal on the other hand says it's safe to send and stuff so you think you should be okay, right? Dug deeper into google and sure enough people were saying you might not get covered for losses. The Paypal name was an average English speaking name while the eBay username turned out to have a bit of an Indian name in it.

At this point I start shitting my pants for what to do so I ended up trying to redeem the code myself and ended up doing so. So right now I've sold an item that I've used but haven't given a refund as fucked up as that is but it seems like the smart thing to do, or kind of just to satisfy my curiosity.

Anyone had experience with this shit? I knew it would be risky but I feel like an idiot for potentially falling for it while half-awake and it might serve as a potential warning even if you did actually get paid for the item.

HUELEN10

Call eBay up and tell them the situation so that the resolution center can help issue a refund to them. I mean, you did use the code anyways.

akaoni

Banned
I expected to get shit for doing it and have every intention of refunding them when they inevitably do ask. I had sent the code so if I got scammed and lost I would have a very high risk of being shit out of luck based on other cases I had read.

So I forced it into 2 outcomes;
-Scammer claims the money back and I lost nothing
-Legit person says code doesn't work and I refund while apologising

It was mostly something I did in a panic. I NEED LOVE.

Refund the buyer and apologize profusely

Understand that selling digital codes online that have no tracking of who used them is a crapshoot and that at anytime a buyer can be "Nope didn't get it. Give me back my money or I'll leave you a bad feedback/request a refund"

HUELEN10

I expected to get shit for doing it and have every intention of refunding them when they inevitably do ask. I had sent the code so if I got scammed and lost I would have a very high risk of being shit out of luck based on other cases I had read.

So I forced it into 2 outcomes;
-Scammer claims the money back and I lost nothing
-Legit person says code doesn't work and I refund while apologising

It was mostly something I did in a panic. I NEED LOVE.

You sent the code, that was your mistake, not theirs. The only possible scamming that was done was entirely on your end if I am reading the story correctly. Besides, you don't have to accept buyers with low/no feedback; you chose to, understanding the risks.

You were in a panic, you made a mistake, but you can easily make it right by getting a refund for the person in order.

That, and name being different from paypal name happens all the time.

Chariot

As a buyer I would be so pissed of about this. A waste of time and nerve (did I get the code wrong, better try it a dozen times. Did the seller scam me?)

As a buyer I would be so pissed of about this. A waste of time and nerve (did I get the code wrong, better try it a dozen times. Did the seller scam me?)

This so hard. It's one of my worst fears when I buy a digital code on eBay. You said that Paypal informed you it was safe to send which means that the buyer paid you already...

MrDenny

One time a buyer asked me to send the gift card code I sold to them through email instead of mailing it.
I decided it was fine because they had 100% feedback.
Turns out the buyers account was hacked by a scammer and was used to get thousands of dollars in gift cards and bit coins.
Not a good idea to send anything digital through email (especially if they have 0 feedback), I believe it's against ebays policy too.
If the code is on a card, it's best just to send it physically out.

akaoni

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37588008&postcount=1

Found a previous case even on GAF randomly from Google. The seller is offered very little protection.

4 clues in my case;
Zero feedback, brand new account
Different email address specified instead of Paypal email
Indian username with normal English name for Paypal address
User is no flea, they knew about leaving a note with instructions for the email when they purchased

I want to be the good guy and just give the money back but there's other side to me, if someone's trying to fuck me then I want to know, yet I could be wrong which is the worst part. Selling stuff online is stressful.

Chariot

I want to be the good guy and just give the money back but there's other side to me, if someone's trying to fuck me then I want to know, yet I could be wrong which is the worst part. Selling stuff online is stressful.
What the hell, man. Just give him his money back. He didn't get what he bought and you only suspecting him of maybe scamming. You won't know the truth unless you try to stalk him in real life.

MrDenny

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37588008&postcount=1

Found a previous case even on GAF randomly from Google. The seller is offered very little protection.

4 clues in my case;
Zero feedback, brand new account
Different email address specified instead of Paypal email
Indian username with normal English name for Paypal address
User is no flea, they knew about leaving a note with instructions for the email when they purchased

Didn't you redeem the code yourself?
You can't keep the money.

Floex

I went through something similar. What happened was the guy paid me, I waited a day before I sent the code, all was good. Check my PayPal account a few days later and see that the money had now been put on hold and Payal were withholding funds. Guy proclaimed that his account was hacked and eventually got a refund and I lost a code.

Now the guy may have been telling the truth (I doubt it, a guy before this guy tried the same thing) but of course I was having none of this. Eventually PayPal gave me my money as a goodwill gesture but what a hateful experience.

Moral of the story is, if you're selling digital codes, post the codes, not email.

Alphahawk

Not even sure how ebay let the auction happen, as they don't allow codes to be sold in the first place.

Also you are most definitly in the wrong here. You should send his money back immediately and hope the guy doesn't leave you bad feedback.

OP even if you get scammed selling codes there's the potential you'll get your money back. Last year I was selling PSN $20 and $50 codes on EBay and was scammed out by one dude who claimed his card was stolen or some bullshit.

I disputed the chargeback on Paypal with only 2 peices of evidence, a screenshot proving I bought the code from Amazon and a screenshot showing I EBay messaged that code to the user when he won the auction. It took 3 months but PayPal finally gave me my money back.

But in this case you need to just give this guy his money back and relax a bit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You did the right thing. It sounds shady so you used the code yourself. Worst case scenario you refund his money. If he scammed you, you'd have no recourse.

Joni

Small hint: you're the scammer in this case.

You did the right thing. It sounds shady so you used the code yourself. Worst case scenario you refund his money. If he scammed you, you'd have no recourse.
What is the best case scenario? The buyer doesn't get the code and he doesn't get a refund?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What is the best case scenario? The buyer doesn't get the code and he doesn't get a refund?

OP would refund it to not be a dirtbag. What is so hard about this? Buyer just buys another code if he's legit. BFD.

Chariot

OP would refund it to not be a dirtbag. What is so hard about this? Buyer just buys another code if he's legit. BFD.
This here:

This so hard. It's one of my worst fears when I buy a digital code on eBay. You said that Paypal informed you it was safe to send which means that the buyer paid you already...

akaoni

Banned
If it does turn out to be a scam playing it out might allow me to get compensation of some sorts. I did say I lost nothing so far but I've potentially suffered as I never wanted to redeem the code but not claiming the code meant someone getting away with their fraudster lifestyle (they seem like a potential pro) and me being left with nothing in return. Worst case scenario right now; I was wrong then refund them and take the deservedly bad feedback for my first time ever. It's eBay, we pay those extortionist fees so they cover people in things like this, they've taken $100's from me over the years in selling and buying stuff. As always I might be wrong and that I overreacted, just a matter of waiting at this point to see if I fucked up. Pretty stressful, I've gotten lucky for 10 years before now, no issues or hint of danger from selling stuff before.

Bboy AJ

This here:

Meh. That hardship on buyer is less than seller losing the item completely. Then again, I'd never have sold that code on ebay to start.

lewisgone

If it does turn out to be a scam playing it out might allow me to get compensation of some sorts. I did say I lost nothing so far but I've potentially suffered as I never wanted to redeem the code but not claiming the code meant someone getting away with their fraudster lifestyle (they seem like a potential pro) and me being left with nothing in return. Worst case scenario right now; I was wrong then refund them and take the deservedly bad feedback for my first time ever. It's eBay, we pay those extortionist fees so they cover people in things like this, they've taken $100's from me over the years in selling and buying stuff. As always I might be wrong and that I overreacted, just a matter of waiting at this point to see if I fucked up. Pretty stressful, I've gotten lucky for 10 years before now, no issues or hint of danger from selling stuff before.

I doubt you will manage to get compensation when you weren't scammed. "I could have been scammed" doesn't seem like a good enough reason to receive compensation...I don't even know what kind of compensation you would get for that.

And if you are right and the guy is a scammer, I doubt you will find out one way or the other. But regardless of what they've done, even if you are right that they are a scammer, you have to pay them back. You don't get to steal their money just because you're suspicious about what they do. On a base level, someone paid for a product you sold willingly, and now hasn't received that product. He could have been planning to scam you, you probably can't prove that. So right now, you're withholding money you don't deserve...but from your posts you seem a little reluctant to give it back. "Worst case scenario"? Every scenario should end in this person getting their money back. If they are a scammer, they will be punished in other ways through eBay. You can't justify keeping money you haven't earned.

Chariot

Meh. That hardship on buyer is less than seller losing the item completely. Then again, I'd never have sold that code on ebay to start.
This is the reaction of the "worst case scenario" where OP is wrong and people try to justify by saying that its mo problem for the buyer because he gets his money back. And this is just not true, there are time and stress involved because OP want to sit on the money desperately trying to find evidence for scam, leaving the buyer in the dark.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If it does turn out to be a scam...
I'm really confused by your tone.

Someone paid you for an item. Then you used that item yourself, and are not giving it to them.

If anyone is scamming someone out of their money here, it's you. Unless I seriously misread something.

Biochet

lol compensation?

I can't tell if you are serious or not, it was your own fault you used that code and you keep talking about ifs but right now you are the scammer and you have no proof wether he was about to scam you or not.

Bboy AJ

This is the reaction of the "worst case scenario" where OP is wrong and people try to justify by saying that its mo problem for the buyer because he gets his money back. And this is just not true, there are time and stress involved because OP want to sit on the money desperately trying to find evidence for scam, leaving the buyer in the dark.
The zero feedback buyer. Yep.

It's so easy to PayPal dispute the funds for a digital code.

Mechazawa

These mental gymnastics. Holy shit.

You are in the wrong. You used the code. You don't even mention in the OP that the buyer came back to you telling you that that the code doesn't work, you basically just jumped the gun out of fear and now expect to not only keep whatever code you were selling and keep your money?

Jesus.

kharma45

lol compensation?

I can't tell if you are serious or not, it was your own fault you used that code and you keep talking about ifs but right now you are the scammer and you have no proof wether he was about to scam you or not.

Yeah I feel like I'm missing something here :lol

These mental gymnastics. Holy shit.

You are in the wrong. You used the code. You don't even mention in the OP that the buyer came back to you telling you that that the code doesn't work, you basically just jumped the gun out of fear and now expect to not only keep whatever code you were selling and keep your money?

Jesus.

Or it seems I'm getting it perfectly. Great work OP.

Chariot

The zero feedback buyer. Yep.

It's so easy to PayPal dispute the funds for a digital code.
So every zero feedback buyer is a scammer now. If OP is so scared of this he shouldn't sell on ebay to people he don't know and don't screw over potentially innocents.

Also OP is apparently now trying to keep the money and keep his game.

Buzzman

Banned
"Hey guys I just redeemed a code I was planning on selling and now I've got the buyer's money aswell. Phew, I was really close to getting scammed there lol!"

Ghazi

OP made a mistake, guys, he's in the wrong and hopefully corrects the problem. I don't think it's worth shitting on him about if, it'll be a lesson going forward (I hope).

Hopefully the buyer can find another code to buy.

baphomet

The way you're acting you're trying to hold someone's money after you redeemed the item they paid for.

Refund them and accept the negative feedback you deserve.

Edit - Lol, why the fuck would you recoup anything from this? You have the game.

Chariot

OP made a mistake, guys, he's in the wrong and hopefully corrects the problem. I don't think it's worth shitting on him about if, it'll be a lesson going forward (I hope).

Hopefully the buyer can find another code to buy.
The buyer surely find another code, but right now we are worrying about OPs reluctance to give the money back because he damaged himself by redeeming his sold code.

As always I might be wrong and that I overreacted, just a matter of waiting at this point to see if I fucked up.

You absolutely fucked up. What are you waiting for? Give the refund. It doesn't matter what you think even if this person was legitimately putting together some elaborate ruse to scam you by giving you money. You have someone else's money and you used the code. Until you give the refund you are a theif.

Ghazi

The buyer surely find another code, but right now we are worrying about OPs reluctance to give the money back because he damaged himself by redeeming his sold code.
I don't even... what?

I'm trying to understand, OP said he was damaged by redeeming a code he didn't want to redeem... Why redeem it then if you didn't want to use it, the chances of making profit outweigh the benefits of simply keeping it. That's pretty scummy, of OP, though I know I'm not following my own words, now.

baphomet

Go to PayPal and refund the payment right now. That person paid, and they're never going to get what they bought. Until you do so you are scamming this person.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I find this thread hilarious, because I'm imagining OP breathing a sigh of relief similar to narrowly avoiding being run over as he says to himself "Whew, that was a close one! I might have almost been possibly scammed! It's lucky I thought to scam him first, that'll show him!"

On a serious note, I don't get what the problem is. Someone pays for goods and you provide said goods. Where's the potential for scamming there? He wasn't going to take your code and run.

MrDenny

This thread is so bizarre. What do you mean let the situation play out? You mean keep the money?
You do know that you sold a digital code that you sent out, but redeemed it yourself right?
There is no compensation. You can't keep the money.
Refund his money, doesn't matter if you think he is a scammer or not.
It's like your becoming the scammer in this situation and you don't even realize it.

I find this thread hilarious, because I'm imagining OP breathing a sigh of relief similar to narrowly avoiding being run over as he says to himself "Whew, that was a close one! I might have almost been possibly scammed! It's lucky I thought to scam him first, that'll show him!"

In his defense he said he was groggy and the Internet doesn't wait for you no matter how tired you are. Furthermore lets face it the scammer had a bit of an indian name in one of his email accounts and yada yada yada he avoid a possible scamming attack ...

(-: smh

As most everyone else said, this is on you. You panicked and used the code after receiving payment for it, and then you're holding on to the funds for the sole reason that you think the buyer is a scammer.

Take the negative and move on.

Endy MacK

I've never sold a digital code, but if I did I would certainly insist on only sending the code via the PayPal email address. That way there is absolutely no chance of confusion, or being scammed. I thought this would be common practice.

akaoni

Banned
I don't expect to keep the money, I expect the scammer to file the dispute get the money back and then I claim compensation for fraud/lost goods cause the code was as good as useless the second I emailed it to the scammer and I didn't want to give them the satisfaction, even if I did use it myself I wanted money for it yet my hand felt forced. to prevent the strong possibility of getting completely fucked over. Worst case scenario right now is that I'm wrong.

kharma45

I don't expect to keep the money, I expect the scammer to file the dispute get the money back and then I claim compensation for fraud/lost goods cause the code was as good as useless the second I emailed it to the scammer and I didn't want to give them the satisfaction, even if I did use it myself I wanted money for it yet my hand felt forced. to prevent the strong possibility of getting completely fucked over. Worst case scenario right now is that I'm wrong.

The only scenario is you're in the wrong. You didn't have to redeem the code, you shouldn't be getting any compensation for your own ridiculous decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom