• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's Queen of Katwe - RT/Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlorgan

yn1hOib.png

From RT:
"Queen of Katwe" is the colorful true story of a young girl selling corn on the streets of rural Uganda whose world rapidly changes when she is introduced to the game of chess, and, as a result of the support she receives from her family and community, is instilled with the confidence and determination she needs to pursue her dream of becoming an international chess champion. Directed by Mira Nair ("Monsoon Wedding") from a screenplay by William Wheeler ("The Hoax") based on the book by Tim Crothers, "Queen of Katwe" is produced by Lydia Dean Pilcher ("The Darjeeling Limited") and John Carls ("Where the Wild Things Are") with Will Weiske and Troy Buder serving as executive producers. The film stars Golden Globe (R) nominee David Oyelowo ("Selma"), Oscar (R) winner and Tony Award (R) nominee Lupita Nyong'o ("12 Years a Slave") and newcomer Madina Nalwanga. For 10-year-old Phiona Mutesi (Nalwanga) and her family, life in the impoverished slum of Katwe in Kampala, Uganda, is a constant struggle. Her mother, Harriet (Nyong'o), is fiercely determined to take care of her family and works tirelessly selling vegetables in the market to make sure her children are fed and have a roof over their heads. When Phiona meets Robert Katende (Oyelowo), a soccer player turned missionary who teaches local children chess, she is captivated. Chess requires a good deal of concentration, strategic thinking and risk taking, all skills which are applicable in everyday life, and Katende hopes to empower youth with the game. Phiona is impressed by the intelligence and wit the game requires and immediately shows potential. Recognizing Phiona's natural aptitude for chess and the fighting spirit she's inherited from her mother, Katende begins to mentor her, but Harriet is reluctant to provide any encouragement, not wanting to see her daughter disappointed. As Phiona begins to succeed in local chess competitions, Katende teaches her to read and write in order to pursue schooling. She quickly advances through the ranks in tournaments, but breaks away from her family to focus on her own life. Her mother eventually realizes that Phiona has a chance to excel and teams up with Katende to help her fulfill her extraordinary potential, escape a life of poverty and save her family.

Reviews:

Rex Reed (New York Observer):
The story is true, and the message it delivers-with care and help, the disenfranchised can become role models and inspire others-is unabashedly sentimental, but in a good way.

Peter Travers (Rolling Stone):
Directed by the great Mira Nair, the film hits you like a shot in the heart. Nyong'o and Oyelowo are both extraordinary, giving newcomer Nalwanga a chance to shine as Phiona grows into her own woman.

Joe Margenstern (Wall-Street Journal):
The film as a whole conveys a strong sense of discovery, and humanity.

Richard Roeper (Chicago Sun-Times):
It's a team effort, and even though we know this playbook by heart, cheers all around.

Stephanie Merry (Washington Post):
David Oyelowo and Lupita Nyong'o are reliably superb in the critical supporting roles of Mutesi's chess coach and young mother, respectively.

A.O. Scott (New York Post):
If there is anyone out there capable of remaining unmoved by this true-life triumph-of-the-underdog sports story, I don't think I want to meet that person.

88 reviews logged on RT/91% Fresh

I had seen posters for this movie but had forgotten about it until I looked at RT today.

Lock if old. I've never made a review thread before so I hope I did okay (only have access to mobile right now).

kunonabi

I just saw the poster for this yesterday. It sounds a lot like some of the older live-action movies Disney used to make. I'll probably try and see it in theatres instead of waiting for a rental.

I'm going to wait for this one to hit The Movie Network or something. It's not a movie I really need to see in theatres.

I have a few others I'd like to go see more, and feel would be better on the big screen.

Interesting that this got made into a film thanks to a Disney exec Tendo Nagenda (who's Ugandan born) mentioning it to Mira Nair, who grew up in Uganda.

On the responsibility to make believable stories, Nagenda shares: “There’s a commitment to telling stories authentically. We shot in Africa—in Uganda and South Africa. All the children in the film had never acted before and were from Katwe. That was a big thing for Disney to commit to using untrained actors—to make sure we trained them.”

Speaking on the importance of having Africans in corporate side of show business, Nagenda states: “When we are able to bring our point of view to it, we are able to show how stories from that point of view connect us to the rest of the world as opposed to separate us.”​
http://www.okayafrica.com/film/ugandan-disney-exec-bringing-queen-katwe-life/

Dalek

Just saw this and loved it. What a great movie. David Oyelowo was phenomal.

The ending credits are amazing and had me in tears.
the actors are standing on the set and then the person they played walks up and stands next to them

bengraven

God I love

- underdog stories
- chess prodigy movies
- African accents

I'm so excited this is just as good as the trailer looks.

ajim

Im off to see this tomorrow. Really cant wait. I fell in love with it just from seeing the trailer.

iavi

Saw this last night. Impeccable, heartwarming film.

The acting was incredible from everyone, including the always amazing Lupita.

ajim

Just saw it myself.

Fantastic. Absolutely heart warming and tugging on the old heart strings.

Beautiful cast too.

Lupita Nyong'o is beautiful. I have to marry her. But her acting was fantastic.

Also the touch at the end of the film was very sweet and brings that real life element to it.

Bring the flavour to the fish! Bring the flavour to the rice! Whos the master of spice?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom