• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can I watch Shin Godzilla??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

Man, american Godzilla releases are shit as it looks like.
I love how Splendid treats asian movies with respect.

Toho are just dicks. Criterion put out a great version of the original Godzilla, but they have money to pay for extras and have a Toho relationship putting out the Kurosawa films too I guess.

Stitch

Gold Member
Man, american Godzilla releases are shit as it looks like.
I love how Splendid treats asian movies with respect.

A few years ago they actually treated them like crap lol. Their releases were quite mediocre. but in the last few years they got much better.
I just wish they would do real Subtitles more often and not Dubtitles.

The original movie says otherwise.
Looks like I was wrong. But the point was that, no other Godzilla was attacked by conventional weaponry like bunker busters.

And yeah, the majority of American Godzilla home releases are lackluster. Sony's releases either have mediocre subtitles, lackluster video quality, or both. A lot of the blame for video transfers lies on Toho for being strict and their own transfers being half assed. The best Godzilla home releases are definitely Criterion's Godzilla Blu Ray and the Classic Media DVDs (those DVDs aren't perfect video or subtitle wise but they're a step above and they have some great bonus features). I heard great things about the German DVDs and how accurate their subtitles are for the Showa releases, so they also have it good.

subtitle thing makes me regret getting the Funi release and not just importing, ripping, and slapping on subs like I had originally planned.

I saw the film in a theater, and the Anno text was such a defining part of its personality (not to mention humor). Funi messed that up hard, but I hope it has the same impact on new viewers regardless.

Welcome to Toho Godzilla releases in the North American market.

lmao i forgot how unfortunate these were. Weirdly half-assed and yet... efforted. like this took more work than slapping the title into the normal subs, and yet looks so much worse.

also this isn't a slight at Shin's release, but it would be cool if we could get some Godzilla releases here where the Blu-Ray cover doesn't look like ass. To say nothing about the subtitle/actual release quality issues (though I've heard Toho's releases aren't stellar either).

Regarding the computer generated video titles slappes over the Japanese title sequences, I think the blame on those fall on Toho. They also provide the "dubtitles" on Sony's releases.

Scavenger

A few years ago they actually treated them like crap lol. Their releases were quite mediocre. but in the last few years they got much better.
I just wish they would do real Subtitles more often and not Dubtitles.
The subtitles on their Lupin The Third release were fucking pathetic. Watched it with the Dutch subtitles, which unfortunately were a direct translation of the German dubtitles.

For what it's worth, Manga Entertainment UK said on their twitter that they're keeping the original japanese text in their release, and adding subtitles that simply don't overlap them when they're on screen.

That didn't seem so hard to do.

For what it's worth, Manga Entertainment UK said on their twitter that they're keeping the original japanese text in their release, and adding subtitles that simply don't overlap them when they're on screen.

I recently imported a Manga Entertainment UK release for another movie because it was also superior to the US release.
This may become a trend for me.

I don't see it for sale yet, though. Only german releases on amazon.co.uk. I suppose it isn't release yet.

I recently imported a Manga Entertainment UK release for another movie because it was also superior to the US release.
This may become a trend for me.

I don't see it for sale yet, though. Only german releases on amazon.co.uk. I suppose it isn't release yet.
Please share the link whenever available. Wouldn't mind double dipping.

Please share the link whenever available. Wouldn't mind double dipping.

Probably not for a while considering the movie apparently isn't even hitting UK theatres until a week from now and the only thing they mention regarding a bluray release is that they'll be "looking into it" following the theatrical release. So, it's coming...eventually.

I'm surprised it took this long to be shown over there. I assumed it had already happened.

Here are the relevant bits mentioned above:
hM1E7Pr.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Good. That's what I was expecting.

Fox Mulder

Watched the bluray tonight with people.

It sucks there's no theatrical option, as you really miss out on some satire without all the text. It was intentionally overwhelming with irrelevant information, but butchered US Godzilla cuts isn't new. Makes seeing it in theaters more special I guess.

The English dub does do a good job of elevating the US senator's daughter character. Her engrish accent was god awful and made her a joke. I saw it in theater and people laughed when she wanted to be US President.

epmode

If Manga UK's BD is region free, I'm buying it.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll do the same. It really bugs me that they cut out the text. You'd think they'd understand that people would be interested in it.

Related: Is it possible to rip an out-of-region blu ray without having to screw with your player's region settings? I don't mind having to rip my disc considering that I already do that for most of my blu rays.

Shauni

What is a Burning Godzilla? I googled it and still don't get it. All I see is a Godzilla with a glowing chest

Snaku

Banned
The English dub does do a good job of elevating the US senator's daughter character. Her engrish accent was god awful and made her a joke. I saw it in theater and people laughed when she wanted to be US President.

Couldn't agree more. Would really like a fan edit with her English lines using the dub voice, or just have her dubbed the whole film.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I think I may just import too.

Though I still want to watch this now haha.
If anyone wants to sell the UV code I can pay up to $6.
PM me please.

Fury451

Banned
Just watched again with the dub. It actually was pretty good, I guess that's why it pays to have professional voice actors do it instead of your cousin Jim and six people you pulled off the street.

Just watched again with the dub. It actually was pretty good, I guess that's why it pays to have professional voice actors do it instead of your cousin Jim and six people you pulled off the street.

Nice! I'm stoked to watch it again knowing what I "know." And this time my eyes won't be darting around the screen like I'm on drugs looking at two sets of subtitles.

I probably should have just watched the dub in the first place.

Picked this up on blu at Best Buy, almost as much to support Funimation and their dub efforts (and because I haven't been buying anime recently) as it being the latest Godzilla.

That was a bit annoying having it drop five bucks right after release for this weekend but Best Buy still reimburses such price drops. Neat. Enjoyed the movie, quality direction on the serious-minded side of Godzilla films, and a very unique take on Godzilla itself.

Rates highly in lists of general overall production and direction quality, if not so high on a personal favorites list. Watched dub on Blu and rewatched via sub later on Vudu (UV code gives two distinct Shin Godzilla selections for the two languages).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom