• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Panorama View in Eshop

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kind of surprised they're releasing this, but I suppose they did pay money to get the footage so they want their money's worth.

"Played" with it for a few minutes at a stand at Eurogamer last year and that was enough to get my fill. The interactive demo cemented that. I'm sure some will get their kicks out of it, but it isn't really for me.

Oddly, the demo doesn't like Miiverse. It's obviously looking for a page that can't be found.

thomaser

Complaining about the price is just petty... two of these cost less than a cappuccino where I live.

Anyway, I wonder which videos will come next, if they are planning more? I'd like to see a wing suit jump, like the one here. An underwater video from somewhere with lots of pretty fish would be nice. Perhaps some free climbing, or a walk in a jungle? A drive through Serengeti or somewhere like that would also be nice.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I hope people buy these. It might lead to more tech demos coming in future. Who wouldn't want that Japanese garden tech demo on their console?

goomba

Banned
They could, except that they wouldn't have the image on the tv as well, so it wouldn't work for more than one person at a time.

I was wondering more along the lines of the precision of the gamepads motion control which is meant to be impressive .

Jackano

The video quality is shitty. It's somewhat Ok on the gamepad but not on the TV screen. At least, from what I've seen in the demo, I will not buy any content.
It's unacceptable for an experience that is mostly a visual one!
If HD can serve game experiences it's at first for the ones like Panorama view!

CoolS

The video quality is shitty. It's somewhat Ok on the gamepad but not on the TV screen. At least, from what I've seen in the demo, I will not buy any content.
It's unacceptable for an experience that is mostly a visual one!
If HD can serve game experiences it's at first for the ones like Panorama view!

Yeah I bought one because I wanted to see Kyoto, but the Quality on the monitor really is bad, probably not even 720p. Really a shame as well since it's such a cool concept.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Question: when I attended a Wii U event last year, being able to switch the London Bus tour from day to night was a thing. However, it doesn't seem present in this version? Am I missing something?

UPDATE: The night time follows the day time. You can't switch.

kinggroin

Banned
Thanks! eShop speeds are halfway bearable now, I really hope the next update works on making both it and TVii much quicker while actually using the app.

Free demo is available, yes.

The speed of those apps is inherent on the speed of the servers hosting those pages. Nintendo needs to up capacity or stop using celerons.

RoyalFool

Banned
Nice concept, bad execution - would be a lot better with something like the Oculus Rift rather than waving a game pad around.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
People complaining on the price of these? don't buy them, Just like how i don't buy themes on my ps3, or hats on team fortress. There is no point in complaining.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Video quality is quite bad on the tv, but I enjoy the gamepad view. I like the idea, hopefully they will add more and better videos to this. And make it a folder or a unified app.

Woah...can't believe everybody wants those videos for free. I guess thats what happens when everybody gets free games for their phones...

Neiteio

I bought all four of these. Don't let the occasionally blurry video quality deter you: The experience is well worth $8. I've gone through each one multiple times with family, and it's SO MUCH FUN. The London one is my favorite -- excellent architectural detail, with Big Ben at night being a particular highlight.

I really want more of these. Does Nintendo have plans to release more tours? Also, I've done a LOT of traveling in real life and would LOVE to have whatever camera shoots this footage.

This is the first "moving the cursor on the Wii menu"-style WOW! moment since the WiiU came out.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Woah...can't believe everybody wants those videos for free. I guess thats what happens when everybody gets free games for their phones...

Free is the least that Nintendo could do considering the horrible line up, delays and basically a piss poor launch.

jay

Well that was two dollars I won't get back.

I prefer the Google Maps program because I can wander around cities and revisit places I saw on vacation. They even have some paths into little shops and whatnot, which is neat.

flippedb

Banned
I was wondering more along the lines of the precision of the gamepads motion control which is meant to be impressive .

Well, the Gamepad uses different accelerometer sensors, they are more precise, so the experience could probably not be the same.

Penguin

I'm wondering if they will use this as part of their e3 experience. A real "interactive" tour of their booth could be awesome.

Also could be a new way to do game trailers. Allowing people to see various parts of the world while it is going on.

M3d10n

Of course the videos won't be HD. This is using at least 6 video feeds at the same time to make the 360 degree thing. Also, the footage itself is made by stitching together feeds from several cameras, which limits quality as well.

sakipon

I'm wondering if they will use this as part of their e3 experience. A real "interactive" tour of their booth could be awesome.

Also could be a new way to do game trailers. Allowing people to see various parts of the world while it is going on.

That would beat Sony's virtual Home E3 booth in my opinion. Though do we know how long it takes to finish a video like this? Perhaps it's not suitable for things that are best released while they're fresh.

Also, aren't there companies willing to sponsor or share panoramas? Like the 3DS' video app shows 3D clips from Redbull and stuff. I think many wouldn't mind that if it'd make the panorama video free. Here's a chance for Coca-Cola to film some subtle product placement...

I bought the Kyoto one after being impressed by the demo. I don't regret it, but one thing you need to know before buying it, is that there are cuts. I understand WHY they'd have cuts so you can see the impressive sights and not just a lot of going down streets and alleys, but I found them especially jarring.

I presume the others are similar.

The things that impressed me most was how three dimensional it felt. I guess a big part of that is that the footage is constantly moving. Uncut roller coaster rides please!

Lol, then no. The quality of accelerometers and gyros in phones and tablets is much lower than those in most game controllers now. They simply don't have to be as accurate so they aren't

PSGames

Loved the demo! Still debating on which one to get first. Might just get them all. $2 is nothing. And finally something to show the wii u off with!

Played around with the demo a bit tonight after a session of Rayman & Zombi U. Quality is a little on the low side - understandably, as mentioned before - but the execution is very neat, and I had a nice little "ooooooooh!" moment flipping the pad back over my head. I think I'll grab one of the "tours" and go from there - will run it by the kids and my other half tomorrow and see what they think of it too.

Zomba13

Just showed my Mum the demo trailer of this. She loves this stuff and the Street View thing. I quite like messing around with the Street View but probably not enough to buy a tour but my Mum likes them so thinking of buying one for her to mess around with.
She'd love something along a beach with palm trees or underwater. Anyone know if there are plans to add any like that in the future? The Street View has a few underwater sections and I think it'd be awesome to see that moving with something like this.

I went ahead and picked up the London one. Pretty darn cool. I just really wish the video quality was better. It's pretty bad and I rarely complain about IQ, but this was like a compressed youtube stream. Not what I was expecting. There's a zoom feature too; I wouldn't recommended using it :(.

The other thing I wish it had was 3D audio. You can hear the goings on around you, but just in stereo, or possibly mono, and they remain unchanged no matter which way you face.

A very cool idea but I'm undecided about picking up the others.

Top Bottom