• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013

Spears making statements about a HEVC codec running on the GPU for DRM media shows he was not involved in any way with DRM media codecs. Ito saying the PS4 drive can't read 3 layers makes his comments equally suspect.
Spears says the Xbox One needs a dedicated HEVC decoder to play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, and he says that the current drive is not capable (not being able to read triple-layer media, for one). Ito says the PS4 needs a dedicated HEVC decoder to play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, and he says that the current drive is not capable (not being able to read triple-layer media, for one). The list of folks at Microsoft saying that a new drive is necessary to play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs goes on and on.

What do you think is more likely?

1) No one at Microsoft or Sony understands how Ultra HD Blu-ray would be implemented in the launch consoles, but they're going to implement it in a couple of months anyway.

2) Microsoft and Sony do understand how Ultra HD Blu-ray would be implemented in the launch consoles, but they're conspiring together to maintain the sinister secret of the impending firmware update. The same story is mandated to be spread covertly and in the press; even former employees are required to maintain the same charade on an obscure message board about a line of cameras! News of the update cannot be allowed to see the light of day until the precise moment when something something something.

3) Yet again, jeff_rigby doesn't know what he's talking about.

What you're leaning on as evidence continues to just be "I read this, which suggests this, which implies this, which could be interpreted to mean this, therefore: Ultra HD Blu-ray!"

I remember! That's the report that you completely misinterpreted the other day.

I am getting tired of this;

It's a signed REPORT from an International Compliance firm. A signed LAB report trumps a sales announcement. They actually had to test the power required while in UHD media mode!!!!!!!
A lab report on UHD media power consumption must play UHD media. If they were through they tested ALL UHD media including streaming and UHD BLu-ray.
Your correct, UHD media was not tested.

1468413847_1.jpg

What you're leaning on as evidence continues to just be "I read this, which suggests this, which implies this, which could be interpreted to mean this, therefore: Ultra HD Blu-ray!"

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/1/full/1468413847_1.jpg[/im][/QUOTE]

It's the mistercteam/misterxmedia tactic.

FyreWulff

i'm still trying to figure out how devices physically incapable of displaying 4K @ 60FPS plan on being 4k @ 60fps with a software update

Jeff_Rigby, the poster who seems to think every patent, document, random interview, and frenzied statement means something.

But only if it feeds into his thesis statement. Otherwise, they're full of shit.

i'm still trying to figure out how devices physically incapable of displaying 4K @ 60FPS plan on being 4k @ 60fps with a software update
Dunno... But how did the PS3 get a firmware update that allows 3D Blu Ray without hdmi 1.4? Somehow, TVs can automatically detect the signal without the version of hdmi that was supposed to be a requirement for the feature.

Dunno... But how did the PS3 get a firmware update that allows 3D Blu Ray without hdmi 1.4? Somehow, TVs can automatically detect the signal without the version of hdmi that was supposed to be a requirement for the feature.

Sony hacked in a subset of HDMI 1.4 features into their HDMI 1.3a port to get it to work. Concessions had to be made, however: you can't watch 3D Blu-rays with lossless audio on the original PS3. They upgraded the hardware in later revisions to support that feature.

3D Blu-ray was a special situation, in that the compression format wasn't significantly different and the bandwidth requirements, while high, were not an enormous upgrade. UHD Blu-Rays use a totally different compression technique and have significantly higher bitrates.

Sony hacked in a subset of HDMI 1.4 features into their HDMI 1.3a port to get it to work. Concessions had to be made, however: you can't watch 3D Blu-rays with lossless audio on the original PS3. They upgraded the hardware in later revisions to support that feature.

3D Blu-ray was a special situation, in that the compression format wasn't significantly different and the bandwidth requirements, while high, were not an enormous upgrade. UHD Blu-Rays use a totally different compression technique and have significantly higher bitrates.
I guess the next question would be why would you need 4k @60fps to display 24fps movies?

Yes you can, you just can't call it premium UHD.
You're confusing two different things. The "Ultra HD Premium" label is associated with the UHD Alliance. Ultra HD Blu-ray is associated with the Blu-ray Disc Association.

As for the PS3/3D comparison, not handling the lossless audio the same way doesn't violate the BDA's requirements, IIRC. I'm going from very old memories here and what little I can dig up on Google, but I think a Blu-ray player (back then, anyway?) only had to support PCM, lossy DTS, and Dolby Digital audio. As long as it was able to get its hands on one of those somehow (even if the DTS track was from the core of the DTS-HD Master Audio), it'd get a thumbs-up. I might be misremembering, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that being the case.

You're confusing two different things. The "Ultra HD Premium" label is associated with the UHD Alliance. Ultra HD Blu-ray is associated with the Blu-ray Disc Association.
Gotcha. I guess I was. I still don't get why you need 60fps to play movies... Seems like a completely useless additional specification.

Gotcha. I guess I was. I still don't get why you need 60fps to play movies... Seems like a completely useless additional specification.
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say completely useless, but it probably won't be used incredibly often, at least not in the short term. I don't believe there are any 60fps discs on the market now, or at least no one seems to be talking about 'em. Documentaries, sports, and maybe even things like home movies would be possibilities. HFR hasn't really taken off theatrically, but if it ever does, that could carry over to UHD BD.

FyreWulff

That was a bit of luck and cleverness. The HDMI port in current Ones and PS4s outright lacks the bandwidth, so they're limited to 4K 30fps at best, which means no 60fps game would work in 4K mode.

Even if you somehow figured out how to get 60fps working (which you won't), you won't be able to get the license to play protected UHD content over that HDMI port anyway. You have to own both a TV with the correct port and the playing device with the correct port. The TVs that have that correct HDMI port didn't start selling notable numbers until a year after the One/PS4 came out. Even if you bought your 4K TV the same day the PS4 came out you are unlikely to be able to support 4K 60fps over your HDMI port, because most TV makers were expecting people to watch 24fps movies, so 30 was enough for them.

They also lack the laser to read 3 layers for UHD blurays, another nail in the coffin.

So there's both technical and licensing reasons why you need actual new devices to do all this.

That was a bit of luck and cleverness. The HDMI port in current Ones and PS4s outright lacks the bandwidth, so they're limited to 4K 30fps at best, which means no 60fps game would work in 4K mode.

Even if you somehow figured out how to get 60fps working (which you won't), you won't be able to get the license to play protected UHD content over that HDMI port anyway. You have to own both a TV with the correct port and the playing device with the correct port. The TVs that have that correct HDMI port didn't start selling notable numbers until a year after the One/PS4 came out. Even if you bought your 4K TV the same day the PS4 came out you are unlikely to be able to support 4K 60fps over your HDMI port, because most TV makers were expecting people to watch 24fps movies, so 30 was enough for them.

They also lack the laser to read 3 layers for UHD blurays, another nail in the coffin.

So there's both technical and licensing reasons why you need actual new devices to do all this.
BD-ROM drives can be firmware updated to BD-R 2010 Version 3 specs and can read 3 layer version 2 disks. The PS4 drive according to Sony is both BD-ROM and BD-R. The PS3 BD-ROM drive was firmware upgraded in 2008 to BD-R Version 2. There are other changes to the BD-ROM3 specs for BD-ROM4 other than reading version 2 disks. I think that just requires a firmware update.

The PS4 has a custom Panasonic HDMI chip that is not listed in Panasonics HDMI 1.4 catalog. In a HDMI 1.4 chip HDCP takes place in the HDMI chip. With HDMI 2, HDCP 2.2 takes place in the Media TEE and the HDMI chip just passes negotiation to the TEE. This is called Mapping HDCP 2.2 to the HDMI chip and the software specs to do this were published Feb 2013, The same HDCP 2.2 routine is also used by Miracast which is required in Vidipath STBs

Magwik

Banned
The XB1-S shipping in the same month isn't a coincidence. Of course they will ship the console with their new firmware. A major complaint of the X1 launch was firmware updates.

I wasn't talking about gaming at 4k 60. I'm talking about playing a 4k 24fps UHD Blu ray.

If the disc drive can read the discs, then I don't see why Sony couldn't do something similar to what they did with the PS3 3D Blu Ray. They could get it to work but with a few concessions, like no 60fps or Dolby vision.

Sony was a co-developer of both Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray, so I highly doubt they'd have issues getting a software license.

The only real, hard, barrier would be if the drives physically can't read the discs.

The only real, hard, barrier would be if the drives physically can't read the discs.
Well, except for the other real, hard barriers. :) Really, though, Ito from Sony said that there's the lack of a dedicated HEVC decoder as well, and the issues may not end there.

I don't think it's quite so easy for Sony to get a take a player that doesn't meet spec and slap the Ultra HD Blu-ray label on it. There are a whole bunch of other companies in the BDA as well. If Sony doesn't have to bother with a complete player, why should anyone else?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I don't understand anything, what fight is fighting this guy?
Against sanity, and he's winning!

1) UHD capability is not the point of those documents; power consumption is.
2) References to UHD at all in those documents are made in passing, often just once.
3) You've attributed many things to those documents that aren't actually in them, such as how a firmware update for UHD capability was scheduled for January 2016 and then delayed. That is a complete and total fabrication.
4) The most recent efficientgaming.eu document for the Xbox One doesn't even refer to it as "Ultra High Definition Capable" any longer; just plain ol' "High Definition".
5) Beyond this, there are zero references -- absolutely none -- to Ultra HD Blu-ray in any of them.
Bonus, those documents cited VGChartzzzz as a source for sales numbers...

I wasn't talking about gaming at 4k 60. I'm talking about playing a 4k 24fps UHD Blu ray.

If the disc drive can read the discs, then I don't see why Sony couldn't do something similar to what they did with the PS3 3D Blu Ray. They could get it to work but with a few concessions, like no 60fps or Dolby vision.

Sony was a co-developer of both Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray, so I highly doubt they'd have issues getting a software license.

Sony already has a Licence for Embedded/Game Consoles and that licence includes the drive. Only a PC requires a Drive licence and with it a requirement for a white list server and pairing server for encryption across the USB or eSATA bus. Embedded/Game consoles pair the drive at the factory. This was also done for the PS3 and was why only the factory could swap out the drive. So many of the Mount Fuji changes from book 8 to 9 about BD-ROM4 are not needed for a Game Console.

The PS4 drive and XB1 drive with firmware update to BD-R can read a version 2 disk but there are other changes to the drive required and they all appear to be firmware changes but I only spent two hours following the changes to get an understanding of what the changes are trying to accomplish.

I believe UHD Blu-ray is extremely important to Sony and they would go to the effort to use a drive that could be firmware updateable just as they have insured that the Launch PS4 is UHD Capable and just needs a firmware update for that.

Microsoft does not have a BDA licence for HD or UHD blu-ray. Sony has a licence for both. It's possible that Sony is writing the blu-ray player for the XB1, for sure Sony is using the Playready DRM from Microsoft and we still don't know what the Microsoft domain registration for Microsoft-Sony.com is all about. I'd be interest in someone reading the intellectual notice for the XB1 Slim to see if Sony is listed. It's not required but might be in there.

Microsoft-Sony.com may not even be about the game consoles. Sony has a BDA UHD Licence for a PC drive and PC app and Sony wants every UHD blu-ray player to support UHD Blu-ray digital bridge. PCs become more valuable as Media Hubs for the home that can be called for game streaming and Media streaming from Living room STBs or phones/tablets. AMD's Carrizo has low power standby and instant start which would allow treating a PC as a Network/DLNA server similar to Synology Diskstations which with drive are about $230. Playready encryption and Vidipath allow storing DRM Media anywhere in the home and playing on any Vidipath capable device in the home.

Against sanity, and he's winning!

Bonus, those documents cited VGChartzzzz as a source for sales numbers...
Only one document, the Independent Lab compliance report, cited VGchartzzzz on page 10. Above the numbers listed from VGChartzzz is this confirming the numbers are accurate as they are compared to the figures reported by Microsoft and Sony. Note, these are EU sales not world wide sales.

The market data confirms that the compliant games consoles account for 80% of the sales of games consoles in the EU. The data publicly available and reproduced in Figure 1 provides market share by game console, generally in line with the market data submitted by each Signatory in the Product Reports.

I'd suggest ignoring the personal attacks and third party cites with obvious errors and personally read the cites not my or Adams comments. Read them for yourself and make you own decision on the weight you give them. Adam's cites can not be accurate if ALL the XB1 and PS4 game consoles are UHD capable as described multiple times.

The compliance report is required by a EU government agency and from an independent third party lab. The lab will loose credibility if they are not accurate in all things in the report. Intertek Group is a multinational inspection, product testing and certification company headquartered in London, United Kingdom.

http://efficientgaming.eu/fileadmin...mes_Console_ACR__Final_v1.0__period_2015_.pdf

Page 9 calls them UHD Game Consoles

Table 1 page 12 lists all the game consoles by model number; WiiU, PS3, Xbox 360 as HD capable and XB1, PS4 as UHD game consoles.

The report is for the period from Jan 2015 to Dec 2015 and only HD media was tested. This is why the compliance report from Microsoft lists HD console because until firmware updated in 2016 it's only UHD Capable and only HD media mode is tested.

Adam's cites can not be accurate if ALL the XB1 and PS4 game consoles are UHD capable as described multiple times.
If you recall, you titled this thread "UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013". The many quotes I've provided are about Ultra HD Blu-ray. They stem from a variety of sources yet are surprisingly consistent.

Your documents all stem from a single source: efficientgaming.eu. They make no mention whatsoever of Ultra HD Blu-ray. UHD capability of any sort is not the point of these documents, which explicitly define Ultra High Definition differently than you're claiming they do.

What do you think is more relevant in a thread about Ultra HD Blu-ray playback on these consoles?

(a) quotes from a number of different Microsoft and Sony employees specifically about Ultra HD Blu-ray
(b) documents from one website that never once mention Ultra HD Blu-ray and barely acknowledge UHD at all

Multiple people from Microsoft and Sony say that a new optical drive is needed to play Ultra HD Blu-ray media. You can find no resources to refute this. The best you can come up with is that you spent two hours with a document you by your own admission don't really understand, and you think it can all be done with firmware. Sorry, but that's not a compelling argument.

Two people from Microsoft and Sony say that a dedicated HEVC decoder is needed to handle the demands of UHD BD. Your attempt at refuting this is based on a single AMD slide about streaming gameplay from the Xbox One to PC from a presentation last year that isn't substantiated elsewhere, and it takes a bunch of guesswork and speculation to even pass that off as relevant evidence anyway. Sorry, but that's not a compelling argument.

The report is for the period from Jan 2015 to Dec 2015 and only HD media was tested. This is why the compliance report from Microsoft lists HD console because until firmware updated in 2016 it's only UHD Capable and only HD media mode is tested.
This is demonstrably a false interpretation.

Xbox One - submitted Feb. 16, 2016 for the 2015 compliance period - "High Definition"
PS4 (CUH1116A) - submitted Feb. 18th, 2016 for the 2015 compliance period - "Ultra High Definition Capable"
PS4 (CUH1216A) - submitted Feb. 18th, 2016 for the 2015 compliance period - "Ultra High Definition Capable"

If both consoles are, as you claim, UHD capable, and these documents were submitted only two days apart, why is Microsoft's not allowed to say "Ultra High Definition Capable" but Sony's are? It can't be because of the compliance period because they're the same.

Microsoft-Sony.com may not even be about the game consoles.
No kidding!

If you recall, you titled this thread "UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013". The many quotes I've provided are about Ultra HD Blu-ray. They stem from a variety of sources yet are surprisingly consistent.
The newer quotes likely have the same source, Spencer who announced the XB1 Slim. That would be Spears and Stinkles. Stinkles post is the day after Spencer's and he did try to read the Mount Fuji book but stopped when he got to the part that UHD and HD media are not allowed at the same time. This is because a header for UHD media puts the drive in UHD mode and that mode uses registers differently insuring that HD player routines can not read the drive and in HD mode the UHD player can't read the drive.

Stinkles now makes room for the drive to be firmware update-able but he still has doubts. I don't want to put words in his mouth and I would like his opinion on UHD capable described in the EU papers. If you read Spencer's article he says the XB1 Slim will be the first to support UHD Blu-ray not that the older consoles can not support UHD media. Any other interpretation conflicts with the EU letters calling the Launch XB1 UHD capable.

ALL modern BD-ROM Blu-ray drives can be firmware updated to read BD-R which support BDXL and version 2 disks which are used for UHD. This confirms Ito comments on the PS4 drive not able to read 3 layers is wrong. The PS4 being UHD capable then conflicts with Ito saying the PS4 has no HEVC codec unless you want to assume he is saying, no HEVC codec till firmware updated which is true. Spears talking about using the GPU for a DRM codec confirms he should not be used as a source.

Your documents all stem from a single source: efficientgaming.eu. They make no mention whatsoever of Ultra HD Blu-ray. UHD capability of any sort is not the point of these documents, which explicitly define Ultra High Definition differently than you're claiming they do.
A HD capable console is not allowed to display UHD commercial media, a UHD capable console has the DRM hardware to be allowed to display UHD commercial media. A PC without a Trusted boot TEE and secure video path will not be allowed to display Commercial UHD media but if powerful enough can display UHD games which do not require a DRM display. The definition of UHD in the EU letters is incomplete, the Streaming media power tests are always with a commercial site streaming media that requires DRM.

ALL XB1 and PS4 and by model number are called UHD capable by all but one report.

What do you think is more relevant in a thread about Ultra HD Blu-ray playback on these consoles?

(a) quotes from a number of different Microsoft and Sony employees about Ultra HD Blu-ray
(b) documents from one website that never once mention of Ultra HD Blu-ray and barely acknowledge UHD at all

This is demonstrably a false interpretation.
If you call a game console a Ultra High Definition game console while you are testing the console for power used in HD mode and have charts in other linked letters for a 2016 test for UHD media power used for those same UHD Consoles, we are to assume they aren't UHD consoles? That is a deliberate distortion of the meaning of those letters.
Xbox One - submitted Feb. 16, 2016 for the 2015 compliance period - "High Definition"
PS4 (CUH1116A) - submitted Feb. 18th, 2016 for the 2015 compliance period - "Ultra High Definition Capable"
PS4 (CUH1216A) - submitted Feb. 18th, 2016 for the 2015 compliance period - "Ultra High Definition Capable"

If both consoles are, as you claim, UHD capable, and these documents were submitted only two days apart, why is Microsoft's not allowed to say "Ultra High Definition Capable" but Sony's are? It can't be because of the compliance period because they're the same.
The Microsoft employee filling out the Microsoft Compliance report confused a HD media compliance report with the description of the console.

The Microsoft employee filling out the Microsoft Compliance report confused a HD media compliance report with the description of the console.

Sorry, but you can't just make things up if the source doesn't support your argument. Even if Microsoft did send an incorrect report to a government compliance firm, there's virtually no way of knowing that. As far as we know, they could have come across a limitation in the past year that keeps them from 'issuing a firmware update for UHD blu-ray compatibility'. Regardless, those who reference sources correctly always use the most recent data, and this is the most recent data straight from Microsoft.

The newer quotes likely have the same source, Spencer who announced the XB1 Slim.
Chief, they all work or have worked for Microsoft. When other higher-up Xbox folks were doing interviews about the launch, they weren't all reading one Phil Spencer interview and regurgitating it as you suggest they are. Stacey Spears' comments about developing a software HEVC decoder, the limitations of the original hardware, etc. were not sourced from Spencer's interviews either.

Stinkles post is the day after Spencer's
Do you not understand the context? The Xbox One S had just been announced. That understandably sparked a great deal of discussion.

Stinkles now makes room for the drive to be firmware update-able but he still has doubts. I don't want to put words in his mouth
...yet you are putting words in his mouth right now!

If you read Spencer's article he says the XB1 Slim will be the first to support UHD Blu-ray not that the older consoles can not support UHD media.
It's not "Spencer's article". He did many interviews about the reveal of the Xbox One S.

What he actually said:

Then we looked at what was happening, and we said there were some opportunities for us to do a little more. With upgrading the HDMI technology in the box, we're able to support 4K video streaming. So we said, okay, if we're going to support 4K video streaming, let's also put a UHD Blu-ray drive in there for 4K disc, so you can watch video in 4K. Just because where we were in technology, we saw that and we said, okay, let's make that possible.

You'd have to stretch that quote awfully thin to try to make it apply to the launch consoles. Those are physical hardware changes he's talking about.

If you read Spencer's article he says the XB1 Slim will be the first to support UHD Blu-ray not that the older consoles can not support UHD media. Any other interpretation conflicts with the EU letters calling the Launch XB1 UHD capable.
"Not able to play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs" != "not UHD capable" (although, to be fair, there's little/no recent indication of UHD capability for the launch consoles outside of these EU letters)

This confirms Ito comments on the PS4 drive not able to read 3 layers is wrong.
Stacey Spears said the same thing about the launch Xbox One: that it cannot read triple layer media.

What's more likely?

(a) Technically-oriented people at Microsoft and Sony are saying the same thing about their companies' respective consoles but are both wrong; yet somehow there'll be a firmware update in the next couple of months for both consoles to address this
(b) You're making assumptions that are not well-founded

The PS4 being UHD capable then conflicts with Ito saying the PS4 has no HEVC codec unless you want to assume he is saying, no HEVC codec till firmware updated which is true.
He's expressly, unambiguously talking about a dedicated HEVC decoder with a hardware refresh. This isn't an interpretation; it's literally what he's saying. If you can do a firmware update to make new hardware physically appear in a console, please send me some documentation. I'd love to know how!

The definition of UHD in the EU letters is incomplete
So the EU power consumption letters are holy gospel, but you get to pick and choose what from them you want to put your faith in.

That is a deliberate distortion of the meaning of those letters
1468497246_1.jpg

Sorry, but you can't just make things up if the source doesn't support your argument. Even if Microsoft did send an incorrect report to a government compliance firm, there's virtually no way of knowing that. As far as we know, they could have come across a limitation in the past year that keeps them from 'issuing a firmware update for UHD blu-ray compatibility'. Regardless, those who reference sources correctly always use the most recent data, and this is the most recent data straight from Microsoft.
The independent compliance report is the latest report as it's 2 months later than the Microsoft compliance report and was later reviewed by the Steering Committee for accuracy before being submitted.

If you take the description of the console this seriously then you are at odds with Adam.

Guys, the EU power letters tell us when the next iteration is coming..... 2019 for a new power tier.

You take it this seriously when it says "Ultra High Definition".
Assumption by SwordStruck is that when it says HD Capable "they could have come across a limitation in the past year that keeps them from 'issuing a firmware update for UHD blu-ray compatibility' which means if it says UHD capable it will support UHD blu-ray. I don't go that far assuming the UHD capable means blu-ray too but it's possible.

Assumption by SwordStruck is that when it says HD Capable "they could have come across a limitation in the past year that keeps them from 'issuing a firmware update for UHD blu-ray compatibility' which means if it says UHD capable it will support UHD blu-ray. I don't go that far assuming the UHD capable means blu-ray too but it's possible.

I didn't intend for that assumption at all, no, but mentioned blu-ray specifically because thats what this thread is about.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Only one document, the Independent Lab compliance report, cited VGchartzzzz on page 10.
Wrong, this one, this one, also this one, which so graciously provided earlier, cite that awful site.

Above the numbers listed from VGChartzzz is this confirming the numbers are accurate as they are compared to the figures reported by Microsoft and Sony. Note, these are EU sales not world wide sales.
No it doesn't, if anything it proves that you shouldn't take this documents as gospel, as the that site is known for making shit up. Hell, the document even states that the Wii Mini is a HANDHELD device.
Besides, nowhere in the documents are the numbers compared to *anything*, it only says that it asked the companies for independent 3rd party sales data, and probably none of them could actually be bothered to go beyond the first google hit.

In any case, if you actually think that the chartzzzzzz is a trustworthy source, that does explain everything.

jvm

Gamasutra.
No it doesn't, if anything it proves that you shouldn't take this documents as gospel, as the that site is known for making shit up. Hell, the document even states that the Wii Mini is a HANDHELD device.
I'm fairly sure that there are patent documents out there, that when viewed in tandem with this report, demonstrate that the Wii Mini is one firmware update away from being a handheld device. Maybe even the world's first UHD Capable® handheld device. Only time will tell.

Late to the thread but I thought this was well known?

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/23/4359450/xbox-one-will-support-4k-output-resolution-and-3d

MS said the Xbox One would support 4K media but I get it's one of those things they backpedaled on.
For Adam's cites and apparently the prevailing opinion to be accurate, you must dismiss any cites from 2013, the EU Government Voluntary power compliance letters, Slides from Microsoft and AMD, Whitepapers, Patents and PDFs from Sony, Microsoft and others as well as descriptions of how AMD supports HEVC and that they have HEVC hardware accelerator blocks and support HEVC encode and decode in their VCE 3 and UVD 6 which are in GCN 1.2 2014 dGPUs and in Carrizo. Or that AMD, Sony and Microsoft are using Xtensa DSP blocks for codecs which can also support Vision processing, VR, OpenVX, HD and UHD blu-ray audio, low power key phrase turn on which explains the custom USB3 port for the cameras and Mics and more.

EDIT: Typically it's 2 years from conception to tapeout of a APU or dGPU. So AMD and their partner Cadence had the requirements and test platforms for UVD 6 and VCE3 in 2012. Sony (ACE controllers) and Microsoft (HEVC codecs as AMD says they use the same technology the XB1 uses for HEVC) took blocks from 2014 dGPUs and APUs for the Game consoles in 2013.

You must also dismiss the research, products and papers on ARM Trustzone (AMD, XB1 and PS4 use ARM trustzone), HDCP 2.2 in ARM TEEs in 2012 or, Mapping HDCP 2.2 to HDMI 2 published Feb 2013 which is a description for the Software to support HDCP 2.2 from a TEE. I.E. the PS4 has a custom HDMI chip and HDCP 2.2 must take place in the Tee because Sony's PS4 motherboard has exposed traces going to the HDMI chip which is now a DRM violation with unencrypted media and it's required by the movie industry.

UHD capable is more than just the ability to display 4K. It will be used primarily for 1080P media but it defines a set of open source standards that will be used for all media on a more DRM secure hardware platform with a common DRM for TVs and TV STBs. This is the way the CE industry is moving and if your hardware doesn't support it you will not be ALLOWED to stream commercial media. The current Netflix app on the PS3 and PS4 will soon not be allowed. The push to get everyone on Windows 10 and the elimination of Media streaming options for TV with an eventual replacement under Windows 10 is part of this.

To accept Adam's cites you must close your mind to information on DRM from reading about ARM Trustzone and secure video pipelines, information available on blu-ray drives gleaned from reading technical papers that state BD-ROM drives can be firmware updated to BD-R and BD-R drives from 2010 can read three layers. You must accept that a Saleman's quote must be taken literally to mean that no older Game Console can support UHD media in any form.

There was a prevailing opinion that a UHD blu-ray drive is a different animal with stronger laser and much more expensive. If nothing else that impression should have been debunked, any differences between a HD and UHD blu-ray drive are SOFTWARE that may require minor changes to the hardware or not for DRM reasons only as a BD-RE and BD-R drive can read a version 2 UHD disk.

For Adam's cites and apparently the prevailing opinion to be accurate, you must dismiss any cites from 2013
"Cite", singular, not "cites" from 2013. (...although I would say "citation"; never seen anyone but you use "cite" as a noun, although apparently that is a thing.) The one and only quote you keep coming back to is from Yusuf Mehdi, nearly three years prior to the format's launch, who also said "Kinect will always be integral to Xbox One" after it stopped being sold with all consoles and who just the other day had to backpedal from an erroneous statement. Heckuva track record you've got there.

For what you're saying about Ultra HD Blu-ray playback in these consoles to be correct, many more quotes from many more people responding to this far more recently would all have to be incorrect. No one from Microsoft or Sony over the past 2 years has said anything along the lines of what you're claiming. In fact, literally every statement from anyone at Microsoft and Sony since these consoles actually launched has indicated or flat-out said the exact opposite, even to the point of detailing the precise reasons why playback is impossible. You reject those assertions from Microsoft and Sony, insisting that they're all lying/ignorant and that a firmware update is mere months (perhaps even weeks) away.

the EU Government Voluntary power compliance letters
They never once mention Ultra HD Blu-ray. None of what you're associating with these documents is supported elsewhere.

Slides from Microsoft and AMD
...that never once mention Ultra HD Blu-ray. You're taking a few words from an AMD slide (not even a complete sentence!) that are not substantiated elsewhere and weaving a grand story around it.

Whitepapers
The whitepaper you most frequently reference is one you admit to not really understanding, and you also admit (as of late, anyway) that you only just think that a Blu-ray drive can be firmware-updated to read Ultra HD Blu-ray media. There is no evidence supporting this claim, while a significant number of people from Microsoft and Sony are saying that new hardware is necessary.

Patents and PDFs from Sony, Microsoft and others
Oh, boy. Please enlighten me.

as well as descriptions of how AMD supports HEVC and that they have HEVC hardware accelerator blocks and support HEVC encode and decode in their VCE 3 and UVD 6 which are in GCN 1.2 2014 dGPUs and in Carrizo
There's no argument that AMD products from the past year or so have dedicated HEVC decoders. The point of contention is that these were secretly in the Xbox One and PS4 years prior. You are basing this 100% on a few words from an AMD presentation (which never references the PS4, incidentally) and isn't about decoding high bitrate UHD video in the first place. There's no evidence whatsoever to support this.

Or that AMD, Sony and Microsoft are using Xtensa DSP blocks for codecs which can also support Vision processing, VR, OpenVX, HD and UHD blu-ray audio, low power key phrase turn on which explains the custom USB3 port for the cameras and Mics and more.
Provide evidence that Xtensa DSP blocks can handle the demands of decoding 10-bit, 100 Mbps UHD HEVC video. The only person I've ever come across making claims like this is you.

If there's a dedicated HEVC decoder in-hardware as you claim, why would Xtensa DSP blocks come into play for decoding this video anyway?

AMD says they use the same technology the XB1 uses for HEVC
They never said that.

UHD capable is more than just the ability to display 4K.
...which is not what the documents you're so fond of referencing actually say.

To accept Adam's cites you must close your mind to information on DRM from reading about ARM Trustzone and secure video pipelines, information available on blu-ray drives gleaned from reading technical papers that state BD-ROM drives can be firmware updated to BD-R and BD-R drives from 2010 can read three layers. You must accept that a Saleman's quote must be taken literally to mean that no older Game Console can support UHD media in any form.
Stacey Spears, formerly of Microsoft, is not a salesman. His titles at Microsoft were Senior Software Development Engineer in Test, Senior Test Lead, Software Development Engineer in Test, Program Manager, and Software Test Engineer. He is by any conceivable measure an expert in video decoding/rendering and was involved in every aspect of video output in the Xbox One from the start.

Masayasu Ito's title is EVP of Hardware Engineering and Operation for Sony Computer Entertainment, not "salesman".

The list goes on and on. Who is a more reliable source: knowledgeable, technical people with intimate familiarity with this hardware, all of whom are saying the exact same thing, or jeff_rigby, with zero relevant experience and a habit of being laughed out of / banned from every technical forum under the sun for his outlandish, unsupported theories that he passes off as fact? I'm pretty sure I could cite Spears or Ito on Beyond3D without moderator action being taken against me; can the same be said about what you post?

What carries more weight: relevant people at these companies expressly responding to questions about Ultra HD Blu-ray playback, or piecemealing together a theory based on words at a time (you hate evidence that uses complete sentences) that are contradicted at every turn?

You said all that stuff about Stinkles and the viability of a Blu-ray drive firmware update, and that never actually happened. You insisted vociferously that the EU tested UHD playback in these devices before realizing you were wrong. You thought Bink was a new HEVC decoding package, which it's not, and that means you must not have played any games in the past couple of decades. (The Bink logo/notice appears at the start of literally thousands of games.) Ito said that a dedicated HEVC decoder is needed and that one could be added with a hardware refresh/die shrink, and you say he never said anything about hardware and that he's talking about firmware; it's right there in black and white! You take this quote from Phil Spencer about the Xbox One S:

Then we looked at what was happening, and we said there were some opportunities for us to do a little more. With upgrading the HDMI technology in the box, we're able to support 4K video streaming. So we said, okay, if we're going to support 4K video streaming, let's also put a UHD Blu-ray drive in there for 4K disc, so you can watch video in 4K. Just because where we were in technology, we saw that and we said, okay, let's make that possible.

...and say that this applies to the launch Xbox One too. What? The list of things you've misunderstood or misinterpreted is seemingly without end.

There was a prevailing opinion that a UHD blu-ray drive is a different animal with stronger laser and much more expensive. If nothing else that impression should have been debunked, any differences between a HD and UHD blu-ray drive are SOFTWARE that may require minor changes to the hardware or not for DRM reasons only as a BD-RE and BD-R drive can read a version 2 UHD disk.
How you can say "any differences are SOFTWARE" and "may require minor changes to the hardware" in the same breath is pretty WTF-ish. If it requires hardware changes, however minor, the differences are inherently not limited to a software update.

Mindwipe

You must also dismiss the research, products and papers on ARM Trustzone (AMD, XB1 and PS4 use ARM trustzone), HDCP 2.2 in ARM TEEs in 2012 or, Mapping HDCP 2.2 to HDMI 2 published Feb 2013 which is a description for the Software to support HDCP 2.2 from a TEE. I.E. the PS4 has a custom HDMI chip and HDCP 2.2 must take place in the Tee because Sony's PS4 motherboard has exposed traces going to the HDMI chip which is now a DRM violation with unencrypted media and it's required by the movie industry.

Lots of these things are also required for HD media with HDCP 1.4.

This shows nothing.

"Cite", singular, not "cites" from 2013. The one and only quote you keep coming back to is from Yusuf Mehdi, nearly three years prior to the format's launch, who also said "Kinect will always be integral to Xbox One" after it stopped being sold with all consoles and who just the other day had to backpedal from an erroneous statement. Heckuva track record you've got there.
There are two quotes for the Launch consoles supporting UHD blu-ray. One from Yusef and one from the manufacturers of the equipment to make three layer disks. And it's obvious that Kinect or VR games can not be supported for Play Anywhere which is the obvious backtrack.

There are 5 2013 quotes for 4K or HDMI 2 support.

For what you're saying about Ultra HD Blu-ray playback in these consoles to be correct, many more quotes from many more people responding to this far more recently would all have to be incorrect. No one from Microsoft or Sony over the past 2 years has said anything along the lines of what you're claiming. In fact, literally every statement from anyone at Microsoft and Sony since these consoles actually launched has indicated or flat-out said the exact opposite, even to the point of detailing the precise reasons why playback is impossible. You reject those assertions from Microsoft and Sony, insisting that they're all lying/ignorant and that a firmware update is mere months (perhaps even weeks) away.

They never once mention Ultra HD Blu-ray. None of what you're associating with these documents is supported elsewhere.

...that never once mention Ultra HD Blu-ray. You're taking a few words from an AMD slide (not even a complete sentence!) that are not substantiated elsewhere and weaving a grand story around it.

The whitepaper you most frequently reference is one you admit to not really understanding, and you also admit (as of late, anyway) that you only just think that a Blu-ray drive can be firmware-updated to read Ultra HD Blu-ray media. There is no evidence supporting this claim, while a significant number of people from Microsoft and Sony are saying that new hardware is necessary.

Oh, boy. Please enlighten me.
Already attempted to enlighten you. A BD-RE and BD-R drive can read a version 2 disk which is a UHD disk. What more is there to a BD-ROM drive than to read the disk? DRM only. The DRM used for HD Blu-ray will be used for UHD blu-ray, that is BD Mark, BD+ and AACS which the PS3 drive supports. This time the routines are required to run in the TEE. Then there are changes to the register addresses to insure a drive in HD mode can not be read by UHD routines and a drive in UHD mode can not be read by a HD player; this does not require any hardware changes. I make room that there is some DRM reason for minor changes to the DSP chip on the daughter board. This should not increase the cost of the drive.

Anyone stating reading three layers is not possible on older drives or that this is the defining property of UHD drives is full of it and should not be accepted as an authority.

There's no argument that AMD products from the past year or so have dedicated HEVC decoders. The point of contention is that these were secretly in the Xbox One and PS4 years prior. You are basing this 100% on a few words from an AMD presentation (which never references the PS4, incidentally). There's no evidence whatsoever to support this.

Provide evidence that Xtensa DSP blocks can handle the demands of decoding 10-bit, 100 Mbps UHD HEVC video. The only person I've ever come across making claims like this is you.

If there's a dedicated HEVC decoder in-hardware as you claim, why would Xtensa DSP blocks come into play for decoding this video anyway?
Codecs are either (cited a paper on this too):
1) Software
2) Software with hardware acceleration - Hybrid which has hardware blocks to accelerate = Xtensa DSPs = UVD
3) Fixed hardware like the VCE are fixed hardware codecs locked to one codec family. This is why there are two VCE engines in VCE 3.1, one for AVC (h.264) and one for HEVC (h.265) They can not be used for DRM media and the HEVC codec does not support the entire Feb 2015 HEVC spec

http://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=High%20Efficiency%20Video%20Coding%20implementations%20and%20products said:
On August 21, 2013, Microsoft released a DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) specification for HEVC which supports the Main profile, the Main 10 profile, and the Main Still Picture profile.[60] DXVA 2.0 is required for HEVC decoding to be hardware accelerated and compatible decoders can use DXVA 2.0 for the following operations: bitstream parsing, deblocking, inverse quantization scaling, inverse transform processing, and motion compensation.[60]
From this you get the date August 2013 and that it's Hardware acceleration as well as it was known what routines needed acceleration. Publishing a spec is the last step AFTER you have a HEVC codec prototype running and put it through QC testing. If Spears was actually involved he would have known about this.

AMD products with VCE and UVD6 start in 2014 2 years ago, Carrizo this year is the first APU with VCE3 and UVD6. Subtract tapeout time and sometime in 2012 AMD was also familiar with what it would take to support HEVC. If you remember one of my cites had software products supporting HEVC HD in early 2012 on ARM CPUs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder

Again, UVD 6 in AMD dGPUs and Carrizo does not have a hardware decoder for HEVC regardless of what articles are saying. I seriously doubt the XB1 slim has a hardware HEVC decoder codec as that would be a waste of silicon. It's more likely a software accelerated with Xtensa DSPs that have dedicated blocks that support a more efficient HEVC decode. The game console launch Xtensa DSP block would likely have supported those Microsoft DXVA 2.0 routines as Xtensa lower level routines. Later Xtensa DSPs the same as hardware blocks in the Xtenda DSP block.

Work on HEVC started in 2010, the final part of the HEVC codec was published February 2015.. You can not have a pure hardware codec until the standard is published + add chip tapeout and design. If there is a change to HEVC a hardware codec can not be changed while a Software accelerated can. You can have a HEVC hardware accelerated codec as Xtensa DSP which the Microsoft DXVA 2.0 standard supports as early as August 2013.

Note: Work on HEVC started 2010, the Panasonic-Sony tweak was released in 2010, BD-R specs for version 2 disks were released in 2010...gee did someone start all this in 2010 for 2016?

Stacey Spears, formerly of Microsoft, is not a salesman. His titles at Microsoft were Senior Software Development Engineer in Test, Senior Test Lead, Software Development Engineer in Test, Program Manager, and Software Test Engineer. He is by any conceivable measure an expert in video decoding/rendering and was involved in every aspect of video output in the Xbox One from the start.
Spears job was to look at video and tell Software engineers where there were problems. Very few people at Microsoft actually wrote programs for the Trustzone TEE block and certainly the product testing group would not have direct contact with those programmers.

Masayasu Ito's title is EVP of Hardware Engineering and Operation for Sony Computer Entertainment, not "salesman".
Doesn't matter, he said the drive in the PS4 could not read three layers, that is either a NDA misdirection or incompetence

The list goes on and on. Who is a more reliable source: knowledgeable, technical people with intimate familiarity with this hardware, all of whom are saying the exact same thing, or jeff_rigby, with zero relevant experience and a habit of being laughed out of / banned from every technical forum under the sun for his outlandish, unsupported theories that he passes off as fact? I'm pretty sure I could cite Spears or Ito on Beyond3D without moderator action being taken against me; can the same be said about what you post?
I was banned from Beyond 3d for derailing threads and challenging a mod on HTML5/Player and that the PS3 and future consoles would use HTML5 for the UI. I have been proven accurate on that and I was accurate more times than I was wrong in discussions with Shifty.

In any case do not believe what I say, read the cites and make up your own mind. Catch me in a mistake and I will acknowledge it and thank you.

What carries more weight: relevant people at these companies expressly responding to questions about Ultra HD Blu-ray playback, or piecemealing together a theory based on words at a time (you hate evidence that uses complete sentences) that are contradicted at every turn?
My statements from 2012 have been validated, My statements from 2013 are 80% validated, My statements from 2014, 2015 and 2016 changed little from 2013.

You said all that stuff about Stinkles and the viability of a Blu-ray drive firmware update, and that never actually happened.
Do you have a memory problem. Read back through the thread.

You insisted vociferously that the EU tested UHD playback in these devices before realizing you were wrong. You thought Bink was a new HEVC decoding package, which it's not, and that means you must not have played any games in the past couple of decades. (The Bink logo/notice appears at the start of thousands upon thousands upon thousands of games.)
To True, but to be fair I told you why I believed UHD had been tested and that was the tier number used was the same that another paper used for UHD media.

Ito said that a dedicated HEVC decoder is needed and that one could be added with a hardware refresh/die shrink, and you say he never said anything about hardware and that he's talking about firmware; it's right there in black and white!
I said Ito statements need to be looked at understanding that the PS4 has a BD-ROM/BD-R drive and it can read 3 layers so that makes ALL his statements suspect. I said his wiggle room might be that there is no HEVC codec in the PS4 until it's firmware updated. I don't remember him saying a dedicated hardware codec is needed but in that case he is likely wrong again.

Do you have a memory problem. Read back through the thread.
I challenge you to provide links to Stinkles' posts about how he's partially onboard with firmware updates of Ultra HD Blu-ray drives. You can't because they don't exist.

I don't remember him saying a dedicated hardware codec is needed
Do you have a memory problem? Read back through the thread.

For crying out loud, you even acknowledged and replied to that! Here you go, though:

If assuming that corresponds to the reproduction of Ultra HD Blu-ray in the upper plate PS4, and one, there is a hurdle to overcome. Ultra HD to Blu-ray playback of, because it is necessary to generation of new H.265 decoder than the H.264 decoder, which is mounted on the APU of the PS4.  However, this is likely to not be much of a problem. Because, manufacturing process technology of the APU for the PS4 is, in 2016 year, has become expected to migrate to 14nm or 16nm, it is likely to come to "normal" integrate the H.265 decoder in the timing body.

Is the APU of the developer for the PS4 AMD is already "Carrizo" (Karizo) the generation of H.265 decoder in advance on the PC for APU called pre-integrated ( related article ).
 Since H.265 logic design of the decoder will be or was kind of expansion evolution version of the H.264 decoder, for mounting Sylhet during the APU of shrink for the PS4 is not difficult. Installation of H.265 decoder even smart phones and tablet for SoC (System-on-a- Chip) has been advancing, because it is expected to come to shift codecs to the H.265 video streaming service, rather H.264 decoder installed or even no reason to stay in.

That's machine-translated from Japanese and obviously a mess, but he expressly mentions:

(1) incorporating a dedicated H.265 decoder as part of a die shrink/hardware refresh
(2) the lack of such an decoder in the current models
(3) the need for such a decoder for Ultra HD Blu-ray

Stacey Spears said the same thing about the Xbox One. He also said that the XB1's Blu-ray drive can't handle a third layer. Yes, I think that the two of them, saying the same thing about different consoles, are more likely to be correct than your spaghetti mess of speculation.

Not saying you are wrong about updatable drives, Jeff, but you yourself said you didn't understand the UHD documentation very well. I feel like if you're going to call very respected and knowledgeable people at Microsoft and Sony incompetent, you should probably provide evidence from an external source claiming that the drives can be updated via firmware. Given what we know from things Sony and Microsoft have it said, I'm finding it far more likely that you have misinterpreted the documentation rather than incompetence from those individuals.

I challenge you to provide links to Stinkles' posts about how he's partially onboard with firmware updates of Ultra HD Blu-ray drives. You can't because they don't exist.

Do you have a memory problem? Read back through the thread.

For crying out loud, you even acknowledged and replied to that! Here you go, though:

That's machine-translated from Japanese and obviously a mess, but he expressly mentions:

(1) incorporating a dedicated H.265 decoder as part of a die shrink/hardware refresh
(2) the lack of such an decoder in the current models
(3) the need for such a decoder for Ultra HD Blu-ray

Stacey Spears said the same thing about the Xbox One. He also said that the XB1's Blu-ray drive can't handle a third layer. Yes, I think that the two of them, saying the same thing about different consoles, are more likely to be correct than your spaghetti mess of speculation.
There is another problem with Ito's statement. There is a VCE encoder provided by AMD in the APU of both consoles but only the XB1 has an ARM block in the APU which is recognizable as all the ARM IP has to be tightly packed closely together on the same ARM bus. The PS4 trustzone TEE and ARM block which includes the HEVC codec is in the Southbridge SoC. Primarily this is due to the use of GDDR5 in the APU which uses too much power to support Network standby. So rather than have two ARM bus one in the APU and one in Southbridge they moved all ARM IP to Southbridge with it's own 256 MB of memory, Cerney says Southbridge contains a trustzone processor and is there for Network standby. Network standby only uses a few megs but network standby is also going to need DLNA push, Miracast, Full screen video with GPU off, Key phrase voice turn-on etc. It also makes more sense for video pre-processing from the camera take place in southbridge in the ARM Xtensa DSP block.

So when Ito says: "new H.265 decoder than the H.264 decoder, which is mounted on the APU of the PS4" it's again wrong. If it's about a Encoder it's correct. Translation error? It's entirely possible that the PS4 APU does not have a VCE 3.1 as Liverpool (GCN 1.1) did not have one.

Jeff! You forgot to include the links to those posts of Stinkles' that you were talking about. Did you realize that those posts don't actually exist and are too embarrassed to admit it?

So when Ito says: "new H.265 decoder than the H.264 decoder, which is mounted on the APU of the PS4" it's again wrong. If it's about a Encoder it's correct. Translation error? It's entirely possible that the PS4 APU does not have a VCE 3.1 as Liverpool (GCN 1.1) did not have one.
Why on Earth would Ito be talking about an encoder when discussing media playback? VCE is irrelevant.

AMD has had some level of H.264 decoding in-hardware for sixteen years now.

What partnership? That's my point we don't know what they are partnering about.

Sony Turned Down a Console Partnership With Microsoft Before the First Xbox Released

Computers? Sony got out of computers too. VAIO was originally a brand of Sony Corporation, introduced in 1996. Sony sold its PC business to the investment firm Japan Industrial Partners in February 2014.

If you look at the date of the domain registration it was June 2011. Sony chose Playready for all their products March 2011 Then the Sony hack November 2014 has Sony with Playready ND for the Digital bridge.

The Durango/XB1 chipset - Negotiations with AMD, design criteria happens something like two years before tapeout (Oct-NOV 2012) or late 2010 early 2011. The FCC had mandated DLNA CVP2 in 2010 for June 2012, ATSC 2 was supposed to happen at about the same time and ATSC 3 (4K TV) starting in 2017 with switch over 2020

Parham

Banned
Jeff, do you plan on linking to the posts you assert Stinkles made about firmware updates? If you're going to make these claims without providing proper citations, I don't think you're arguing in good faith.

Top Bottom