• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a Switch, few questions

Teggy

I bought this case along with protector because a combo of them offered 15% discount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X97FLWF/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks, I'll take a look. It looks like most people have been getting alternate USB c chargers because the standard charger is too bulky.

How come there is no OT for Switch anyway? I have to say I am really impressed by the performance of this thing. I initially bought Zelda on Wii U and it had very obvious slowdown, even immediately when you came out of the cave. The Switch version looks amazing in portable mode and there is no frame rate issue. And the console is so small! It's like witchcraft!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I don't buy digital on Nintendo. Probably will lose everything next gen.

You do realize Nintendo was the only one that allowed customers to carry ALL of their software over from the 7th to 8th generation hardware for free?

I'll never buy a screen protector for my Switch, NEVER!

I do, however, use a case.

Yeah, screen protectors are bollocks. I applied screen protectors to every DS and 3DS I've owned and it was a pain. Never going to deal with that hassle on the Switch.

How come there is no OT for Switch anyway?

Consoles generally don't have OTs past their launch period.

Thanks, I'll take a look. It looks like most people have been getting alternate USB c chargers because the standard charger is too bulky.

How come there is no OT for Switch anyway? I have to say I am really impressed by the performance of this thing. I initially bought Zelda on Wii U and it had very obvious slowdown, even immediately when you came out of the cave. The Switch version looks amazing in portable mode and there is no frame rate issue. And the console is so small! It's like witchcraft!

I am really impressed by the hardware and how slick it is. Also kinda glad I got red and blue version, it looks charming. However, I like Zelda on my TV. I don't see any jaggies and it looks great. On screen I see jaggies around Link especially. Maybe I am being too critical but so far I prefer to play it on TV.

Fliesen

You can save yourself the $30 and invest it into the Pro. The joy con have 20 hour battery life anyways

this.

The charging grip is the accessory i consider the least useful.
You can always just dock the joycons back onto the console for charging, when not playing and they have incredibly long battery life. Like, the only use case it has is for when you haven't docked your joycons for a week and you wanna continue playing with your controller wired to the console. I'd rather take a break at that point. :p

Save those bucks to invest in a pro controller or a second set of joycons, imho.

I am really impressed by the hardware and how slick it is. Also kinda glad I got red and blue version, it looks charming. However, I like Zelda on my TV. I don't see any jaggies and it looks great. On screen I see jaggies around Link especially. Maybe I am being too critical but so far I prefer to play it on TV.

Once you try it at bed you'll see how convenient it is. Congrats on the purchase!

Anybody who says they're only going to play Switch docked is one poop away from discovering the joys of handheld mode.

if you don't want to spend 70 bucks on a pro controller, alternatively you can get an 8bitdo NESPro30 controller for around 30ish on ebay. Works great and has a 20 hour battery life but will not fully work on games that require some kind of motion control feedback. Games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Breath of the Wild and ARMs all fully work with it. Splatoon 2 will as well but you won't be able to use gyro controls

They're also working on one that does have motion controls:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/21/8bitdo-new-snes-like-controller-nintendo-switch/

I thought I'd chime back in and talk about my personal use with the Switch. I see a lot of people saying they either use it predominantly in portable or docked mode. For my first couple weeks of ownership I used it exclusively docked very rarely taking it out of the dock for fear of scratching the screen and the fact that it was so slick I babied the Switch.

After I installed the screen protector and got the carry case I felt free to bring it with me everyday. That said, when I get home it's back in the dock for family Mario Kart and Snipperclips. I can honestly say I love using it in all modes. In bed in portable mode when my wife is watching TV, tabletop mode at work, but I always will dock it for long Zelda play sessions.

I couldn't imagine not playing Zelda BOTW or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in higher resolutions. On the big screen. My actual usage really aligns to what Nintendo advertises and even though I didn't believe I would use it like that I'm pleasantly surprised it has worked out this way. I know it sounds cheesy, but it really is the freedom to play how we want,

Got the AMFilm screen protector. Fucked up the installation for first protector (there was a bubble at the corner that simply wont go away so pushed too hard and it kind of crushed the glass) Thank god for 2nd glass. Installed it fine and it looks great. I tried playing in portable mode but nah, its not for me. Zelda looks great on my 4K TV and I will play it that way.
Obviously while travelling I will use it in Portable mode. Its quite awesome to continue playing the game while traveling. Nintendo really nailed it with this console.

Got the AMFilm screen protector. Fucked up the installation for first protector (there was a bubble at the corner that simply wont go away so pushed too hard and it kind of crushed the glass) Thank god for 2nd glass. Installed it fine and it looks great. I tried playing in portable mode but nah, its not for me. Zelda looks great on my 4K TV and I will play it that way.
Obviously while travelling I will use it in Portable mode. Its quite awesome to continue playing the game while traveling. Nintendo really nailed it with this console.

I did the same thing, first installation was going perfect, I took extreme care to clean the screen and even went into the bathroom and turned on the shower to avoid dust. Layed the screen down and noticed a tiny spec of dust found its way in. So I lifted the left edge and got the dust out with tape but ruined the corner. It was otherwise perfect so I just left it there. It bothers me, and it's such a small thing but I figured I'll replace it eventually. It's teaching me to let my OCD issues with perfection go. Lol.

I'm glad everything worked out for you! Enjoy your new console!

Yeah that corner thing triggered my ocd so used the second screen.

Btw is pro controller some wizardry or is battery indicator broken? It always shows full battery and I have played for hours now. It's insane if battery percentage indicator is correct.

As mentioned, Nintendo Accounts are like Microsoft Accounts where you can change the region at anytime via the Nintendo Account website. This allows you to purchase games from ANY region without having to create separate accounts like you would with PSN.

There are two catches depending on the region you are currently set to. Both relate to remaining balance on your account.

If you have remaining balance on your account, before you can change to another region, either:

1. You must agree to forfeit the remaining balance before you can change to a different region

OR

2. Certain regions (like North America) do NOT allow you to change region without spending the remaining currency. You cannot choose to forfeit the amount like you can in some regions.
The way to avoid this (if you don't have a valid credit card) is to purchase digital codes from a place like Amazon for the specific game instead of buying eShop credit. That way the entire amount is used up each time.

I had the issue where I changed from Australia to North America.

Purchased a $20 eShop card.

Purchased a $19.99 game.

Stuck with $0.01 on my account and not able to change back to Australia or any other region. It's lucky I knew someone with a US credit card that was able to make their next purchase on my behalf to use up that 1 cent remaining on my account.

Most people will recommend using multiple accounts for each region but I prefer to have all my digital games and licenses consolidated under one single Nintendo Account. This is also better for My Nintendo Rewards too. Both methods have their Pros and Cons.

Btw is pro controller some wizardry or is battery indicator broken? It always shows full battery and I have played for hours now. It's insane if battery percentage indicator is correct.

Lasts about 40 hours. Pretty damn good. Not quite as good as Wii U Pro controller which was nearly 80 hours. Ridiculous!

I'd sacrifice 10 hours of battery increased rumble though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Since I'm getting a Switch tomorrow might as well ask here - how is transferring stuff between internal storage and Micro SD? I keep reading stuff like "archive download", but it sounds more like the game redownloading but now through the Micro SD. It doesn't have Wii U's ability to move games between internal storage and external storage?

PMurphy1978

Neo Member
First thing I did was put a screen protector on it. I got a scratch on my iPad screen with like a day of getting it. Never again!

Yeah, a scratch on my 2000 Vita (Lime-Green/White) within days of me getting it as well as numerous phones with scratches means there's no way I wasn't putting on one it.

Although I went for the Premium Hori one, which is a bit pants. Really need to get the Orzly one.

zarnold56

Just got a switch yesterday and already having an issue. Twice now in 24 hours, when I place the Switch on the dock after a while I will get an orange screen. When I woke up today, the switch was warm and had the orange screen. I have to Hold the power button down a while to get it to reboot. Just started googling the issue and they say that should fix it. Wondering if I should take it back to Best Buy and swap it out or open a ticket with Nintendo?

shiyrley

Banned
Just got a switch yesterday and already having an issue. Twice now in 24 hours, when I place the Switch on the dock after a while I will get an orange screen. When I woke up today, the switch was warm and had the orange screen. I have to Hold the power button down a while to get it to reboot. Just started googling the issue and they say that should fix it. Wondering if I should take it back to Best Buy and swap it out or open a ticket with Nintendo?
You just got it right? It's much more painless to just swap it with a new console that having to repair it

alvis.exe

Figured I'd ask this here but does anyone know what exactly the "Prevent Auto Archiving" option in the Manage Software menu is for? Is it just for the Quick Archive function or does the system actually auto archive unplayed software after X amount of time? (Can't be, right?)

Munkybhai

Got the amFilm screen protector and it makes the switch feel more premium. The stickiness of the original plastic screen is negated once you have a tempered glass screen protector on top of it.

Undocked my Switch today, it's been docked over the weekend, and as I lifted it up I felt a weird scratch. I look on the back of the unit and it's cracked on the back panel by the power button. I see a thread on gaf about it, do a Google search to see some articles and Reddit post with people showing pics and complaining about it.

I called Nintendo and set up a repair. They were super nice about everything and said it can take 2-3 weeks for it to be returned.

And in case others question, I baby my unit, never dropped or bumped it. Super careful.

Edit: The Pro controllers battery life is awesome! It's why I'd gladly pay a $10.00 premium over standard priced controllers that last approximately 8-10 hours.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Held switch for the first time. It feels good. Really a vast difference between this and the Wii U gamepad.

Undocked my Switch today, it's been docked over the weekend, and as I lifted it up I felt a weird scratch. I look on the back of the unit and it's cracked on the back panel by the power button. I see a thread on gaf about it, do a Google search to see some articles and Reddit post with people showing pics and complaining about it.

I called Nintendo and set up a repair. They were super nice about everything and said it can take 2-3 weeks for it to be returned.

And in case others question, I baby my unit, never dropped or bumped it. Super careful.

Edit: The Pro controllers battery life is awesome! It's why I'd gladly pay a $10.00 premium over standard priced controllers that last approximately 8-10 hours.

Damn that's bad. Is heat causing this issue? What if after repair it happens again?

Also do they pick up the console from your place or we have to go their store or ship it? How does it work?

Damn that's bad. Is heat causing this issue? What if after repair it happens again?

Also do they pick up the console from your place or we have to go their store or ship it? How does it work?

I asked could be the cause of it and the rep unofficially told me it was probably due to the screw on the back panel being overtightened during manufacturing.

They emailed me a USPS shipping label and I'm going to toss it in a nice cushioned shipping box so it won't get damage on route. That way they won't accuse me of mishandling. (I'm paranoid so I'm also taking pictures of the unit and tossing it inside the box, so they know, I know.)

I wish they had shipped out a box themselves a little disappointed on the service from that point. Additionally the email link they sent me to set up the tracking was broken. I'll deal with that tomorrow as it's my birthday and I can't be bothered.

This experience aside, I still love my Switch. I'll miss it while it's in repair.

sam12

Can you play free online with Mario Kart/Arms etc or is it just for local multiplayer with friends? If you can is online good?

amnesiac

I had to send my right Joy Con in for repair, am I correct in thinking that there's absolutely no way I can start a game with the left Joy Con only? I can't change the grip without going into the settings menu and I can't go in to the settings menu without the A button (which the left Joy Con doesn't have).

edit: Forgot about the touchscreen!

sam12

Online is completely free until 2018, when it changes to a paid service ($20 per year).
Thanks and also are enough people on it for matches or do mostly people play local multiplayer. I will be looking to play online rather than local

20 is a good deal for a year

Top Bottom