• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Presence Data: List? Lazy Devs?

dallow_bg said:
ne1si.jpg

Glad to see I'm right under ^_^

I'm really tempted to get NIER mostly based off the presence info...

I know Super Street Fighter IV has presence info...

I kinda wish Netflix had it honestly since it'd be nice to see what friends are watching.

thcsquad

Ellis Kim said:
This thread makes me want Nier :lol

Also, thinking of how it could be used for hilarity on other games:

God of War III: Currently on try #7 in the sex minigame. Must be a gamer.
Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Needs to stop boosting off of cliffs
Mirror's Edge: Peppering the streets of New Eden with fallen corpses
Uncharted II: Having trouble grasping light puzzles.

JadedOne

If anyone wants to see these Nier presence datas, just friend me as it's my current game at the moment :D .

My PSN is Vilarod.

:lol

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
One of my favorite features from the 360. People may think its a waste of resources but i like looking at my friends list and seeing what people are doing in there game. I had no idea some PS3 games had it, I just figured it was a 360 thing.

TripOpt55

The ones for Neir are hilarious. Never seen them before. I don't really think I need to know what level in singleplayer people are playing, but knowing if they are playing multi or not is quite helpful.

bluemax

Banned
lord pie said:
[wild assumption]

I imagine it's a TRC for xbox certification, whereas it may be optional on the PS3.

From what I understand it's actually quite an involved process as it has to be localized to all countries etc. Not trivial if it's dynamic, and certainly not something that can be added late in a project.

This is the correct answer.

geebee

Banned
:lol Rich presence in Xbox 360 games is unnecessary... I'm hoping it goes the way of the console faceplates and doesnt continue on to the next generation of consoles. I've seen very few PS3 games have it.

Seeing if a buddy is playing MP is extremely handy. It saves me from starting up the game, inviting that person and then get a message that he'll be playing SP for a while.

I like the small touches some Xbox devs put in their games. You could even see how many laps a friend raced in PGR3. Or was it Forza 2?

Ploid 3.0

dwebo said:
Didn't someone ask Jaffe about it in the Twisted Metal thread and he didn't even know what it was? Until Sony makes it mandatory, no hardly any first party dev is going to go out of their way to implement a feature that only a fraction of gamers even know about, and even less care about.

davidjaffe said:
Actually, I played Black Ops quite a bit and I know exactly what you are talking about. I just didn't know it was called presence data.

He knew.

acm2000

isnt this one of the many non standard features sony just hastily added after realising launch PSN was a mess and they completely missed the boat regarding online integration?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Updating the Presence Data its just a single function call. (But yeah you have to translate them)
I guess that devs dont care about it or that it takes up some RAM. (Maybe its because its one thing less to QA test)

Oh and yeah Nier has the best implementation ever. :lol

acm2000 said:
isnt this one of the many non standard features sony just hastily added after realising launch PSN was a mess and they completely missed the boat regarding online integration?
Yup, the PS3 SDK has lots of neat stuff... but Sony doesnt force anything.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I love presence data and it's very disappointing that there's only a few games that have this feature. It's very useful and I like to see what my friends are doing. For instance, when I had Rock Band on the 360, I could see what songs my friends were playing and what they were doing. On PS3, all it says is Rock Band 2/Rock Band 3.

To add another game to the list that have it: Castle Crashers.

I don't mind it being there, but I honestly don't care what people are doing in games. Sure, seeing the game they are playing is cool, but I don't give a shit precisely what they are doing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, followup question to my post yesterday--

Knowing what we know now, when the next consoles launch, should Sony make many of these OS/game things mandatory the way Microsoft has (knowing the result is better compliance, a better UX, but additional costs for developers), or should they continue an ad hoc approach?

Stumpokapow said:

Knowing what we know now, when the next consoles launch, should Sony make many of these OS/game things mandatory the way Microsoft has (knowing the result is better compliance, a better UX, but additional costs for developers), or should they continue an ad hoc approach?

Depends. Things like presence data shouldn't be too hard to implement when it's mandatory from the start.

Forcing an online aspect like leaderboards goes a bit to far though.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
To answer your question, I'd love for Sony to make it mandatory because these features are all useful to me. Adding more features is always a good thing in my opinion.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
babyghost853 said:
Not only do you want to know what game I'm playing, you want to know exactly what I'm doing in that game?

Privacy; let me have some!
I don't see how my friends knowing whether I'm in multi or not means I'm losing my privacy...

Stumpokapow said:

I think we'll see Sony require a lot more, but still be more open than Microsoft to a lot of things. They really didn't nail too many things down at the beginning of this gen.

With the increased RAM that will be sectioned off for the OS next gen, I think we'll see a lot more features.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
True presence data story.

When I played Lost Odyssey, a friend of mine said he got on 360 and saw me online at about 8:30 AM one Saturday. Then he said, he went about his day as he would, went out, did whatever, came back, and got on 360 around 1:00 AM. Not only was I still playing Lost Odyssey, but since the presence data includes the number of hours I had played, he knew I had been playing it the whole 16 hours non-stop.

Busted :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Stumpokapow said:

+1 for ad hoc. How else would we be able to tell the lazy devs from the cool ones? :lol

Ploid 3.0

Stumpokapow said:

I'd say yes only for all games having upload to youtube feature, and screen shots. However that would be too limiting to devs if it take up a lot of memory. If next gen memory is not a issue, and it's in the dev tool for them to implement easily, then sure.

About the hours played non stop story. When my rl friends are online and I know I'm going to be playing a game for a embarrassingly long time I just log off so they can't see that. I really like my privacy.

acm2000

having a standard feature set is so much nicer, you know what youre gonna get, online leaderboards as standard is one of the best things this gen, love seeing my friends scores and beating them etc

MS nailed it from the start
Sony completely missed the boat
Nintendo... well, theyre nintendo, need we say more

rest assured, when PS4 comes around, all this stuff will be there and integrated properly, real question is, what will MS do to evolve the service that they have already nailed like a cheap hooker

Gattsu25

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
True presence data story.

When I played Lost Odyssey, a friend of mine said he got on 360 and saw me online at about 8:30 AM one Saturday. Then he said, he went about his day as he would, went out, did whatever, came back, and got on 360 around 1:00 AM. Not only was I still playing Lost Odyssey, but since the presence data includes the number of hours I had played, he knew I had been playing it the whole 16 hours non-stop.

Busted :lol
Are you on still using that specific 360?

Ploid 3.0

I hope they give the user some control over stuff too. Like if they made it so all devs have to use it, let the user decide if he wants it via a toggle option. Another thing I'd disable is trophies. They do more harm than good. Chasing trophies just isn't fun to me since they don't usually unlock anything at all. All of EA games seem to do a trophy sync thing when you load their games, and some games do a slight pause when you get a trophy.

adelante

acm2000 said:
rest assured, when PS4 comes around, all this stuff will be there and integrated properly, real question is, what will MS do to evolve the service that they have already nailed like a cheap hooker
The next xbox will have kinect built-in so your friends list will be filled with video thumbnails of their facial expressions being streamed in as they play their games

acm2000

adelante said:
The next xbox will have kinect built-in so your friends list will be filled with video thumbnails of their facial expressions being streamed in as they play their games

oh god i hope so, mines gonna be me doing the wang helicopter :lol

Rolf NB

I wish I could check my own presence data from in-game XMB. It can't be that hard to show the same info my console is sending out to the world. Right?

One day soon I am going to get off of my lazy butt and make the complete list of things PSN needs improvement on I've been compiling, but this is one of them.

This is another minor yet very visually obvious implementation that 360 is doing better. Almost every game on 360 nowadays tells the status of just about everything, from what level you're on and difficulity, to what map and mode you're playing in on an online game.

While PS3 only has this for certain games, and it's implemented sloppy and unprofessionally.
Not only that, it is the same font color as the game's title, so it looks like the status is a part of the game's title. I don't recall ever hearing of the game "Modern Warfare 2 Team Deathmatch on Favela". This example is pretty obvious what the game is and all, but some games really feel the effect of vague non-separation of title/status.

So here is a simple list of things Sony needs to do here.
1. Make it mandatory as 360 more than likely is for all publishers.
2. Make the font color of the status indications a gray color OR bold title/un-bolded status so it doesn't blend in with the actual title of the game, while at the same time not taking up any additional space on the Friend list design.

Not like this:
Modern Warfare 2 Team Deathmatch on Favela

Like this, Sony:
Modern Warfare 2 Team Deathmatch on Favela

snap0212

Remember when you were young and always had a friend who was allowed to do basically everything, but never forced to do anything? Sony is the same way. "We give you all the possibilities, but we're not going to force you to do anything". It doesn't work with little kids and it doesn't work with devs either. :/

snap0212 said:
Remember when you were young and always had a friend who was allowed to do basically everything, but never forced to do anything? Sony is the same way. "We give you all the possibilities, but we're not going to force you to do anything". It doesn't work with little kids and it doesn't work with devs either. :/

Exactly. By PS4 I expect mandatory custom soundtracks, status updates, video recording-to-XMB, photo-mode-to-XMB just to name a few, demos for all PSN games, set of at least 3 avatars on the Store for launch of the game, for all games.
:\

Ploid 3.0

snap0212 said:

Not forcing the devs to do a lot of stuff isn't a bad thing.

Must use MLAA.

Must use upload to youtube for multiplayer games.

Must use over 10gigs of data on disks.

Must have Home unlockables per Trophy.

etc.

Freedom is nice.

My friend was palying Nier the other day, and it said something like:

NiER. Dreamdreamdreamdreamdreamdreamdreamdreamdream.

Or something lol.

I'm really starting to want this game.

Top Bottom