• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tri_willy

Made some ramen today. Finally got the egg down well!

GnsmSDY.jpg

dayum morsel, do you have a recipe for that???

GorillaJu

dayum morsel, do you have a recipe for that???

I got pork-bone soup mix, and added chopped garlic and soy sauce. Pretty simple!

The veggies are hakusai (tastes like cabbage but less flavorful imo, my gf loves it so I put it in) and maitake. Also with Pork slices, menma (bamboo shoots), soft-boiled egg and a few pieces of nori.

The local style in Yokohama is called "iekei", it's basically pork bone + soy sauce with extra garlic, so I wanted to try it myself and it turned out great. I'm not really a cook so I didn't measure anything just kind of put as much as what felt right.

zbarron

Excellent shot

Thanks. I had to zoom in because the flour and white window completely through off my camera's white balance.

I am making Paneer right now for THIS recipe.
15849817188_0486744d01_h.jpg

(Loose curds)
16035301211_13e526fb49_h.jpg

(18KG kettlebell as weight to compress cheese into brick.)

I will try to take a picture of the finished meal tonight.

zbarron

props for the effort!

Thank you.

I just put together a leftover lunch for me and my son. It turned out really flavorful. I boiled the noodles in half the leftover whey from the cheese making. I added some leftover ham that I cubed up and coated it in leftover bechemel sauce that I mixed with more butter and cheddar cheese.
15850644400_f43b794ead_h.jpg

zbarron

15853270997_77edd95795_h.jpg

Easy Butter Paneer with Spinach

This was really tasty. It was spicier than I imagined. It was at about my wife's tolerance level. I think I may just add this to the main menu rotation.

Both of these first two vegetarian dinners have been so full of flavor and satisfying. In a lot of ways they are also easier to cook than meat based meals and cheaper depending on the meat.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Just chimming in to say that I recently dediced to try my papillote silicone shell and I'm blown away by it. I'm making super tasty, incredibly simple chicken and fish recipes with no added fat and the most amazing vegetables with almost no actual preparation and very little cleaning.

Even more surprisingly, you can nuke your food in the microwave and it will come out tasting almost every bit as good as in the oven. Fish gets done in less than 10 minutes. I literally couldn't tell the difference with salmon and european seabass/lubina.

As somebody on a high protein, low carb diet, this thing is a total life saver. Extremely bachelor fiendly, too.

thespot84

Just chimming in to say that I recently dediced to try my papillote silicone shell and I'm blown away by it. I'm making super tasty, incredibly simple chicken and fish recipes with no added fat and the most amazing vegetables with almost no actual preparation and very little cleaning.

Even more surprisingly, you can nuke your food in the microwave and it will come out tasting almost every bit as good as in the oven. Fish gets done in less than 10 minutes. I literally couldn't tell the difference with salmon and european seabass/lubina.

As somebody on a high protein, low carb diet, this thing is a total life saver. Extremely bachelor fiendly, too.

did your account get hacked by an infomercial company? :p

zbarron

FYI: Amazon has Refurbished 6Qt Kitchenaid Stand Mixers on crazy clearance for a limited time. $180 for the deal if it's in stock in that color. Looks like White and Silver sold out already.

That is a great deal. I got my 4.5Qt mixer for $175 a few months ago. It's new vs. refurbished but while the smaller size is nice for small batches there have been times that I would have liked to have more room for a triple bread batch.

I'd be careful of double batches...from my research these newer kitchenaids don't stand up to well because of the plastic gears they use.

I got the 6 qt professional series on amazon for $209 after $50 rebate in 2011

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Z2L3L8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well what you linked was the 600 series, this deal is on the "6000 HD" ohhh lala

But from what I'm reading I think these have all metal gears. Some people were complaining that these mixers are a much lower wattage, but that also makes them quieter so that's cool with me.

thespot84

Are DC motors less reliable? Or do they have shorter lifespans?

http://www.amazon.com/Comparison-be...UONYPEXDDH0B/TxXEG5BPFU9P08/1?asin=B0002Y5X9W

there's some weirdness with the specs on the motor, it's listed as 1HP some places and 350W (about .5hp) other places. I don't think the fact that it's DC is important, but no one knows quite what power the motor can put out

EDIT: upon further reading it's likely that the motor is 1HP (750ish watts) but only .4 HP gets delivered to the mixer since they use a gearbox to adjust the RPM

CrankyJay

Banned
I think that stand mixer will be fine for your needs (kneads, lol), but these aren't the Hobarts from the 50s (which I found at my wife's grandmother's house while cleaning out their place, holy shit!), so I would avoid the double batch if you can help it.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Bought my first kitchen appliance I hope I never use - a kitchen fire extinguisher. Only around US$30 too. I feel much more prepared even though I have never come close to having a kitchen fire.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've been fighting not to buy a proper mixer. I make dough or cookies about once per month, so it seems like such an unjustified expense to me.

Alas...

zbarron

I've been fighting not to buy a proper mixer. I make dough or cookies about once per month, so it seems like such an unjustified expense to me.

Alas...

If you want to stick to your low carb plan it might be best. That was about how often I made bread and cookies before my mixer. Now it's more like twice a week. While I got my money's worth and then some it definitely added more fresh baked cookies and fresh bread with meals in my life. At least I know exactly what's in them and there's no perservatives or fake stuff.

If you were interested in more healthy baking though they have a ton of recipes out there for baked goods using protein powder, Stevia and whole wheat flour.

I made protein brownies that you couldn't tell the difference. My vanilla protein ice cream tastes exactly like a frozen protein shake.

Bought my first kitchen appliance I hope I never use - a kitchen fire extinguisher. Only around US$30 too. I feel much more prepared even though I have never come close to having a kitchen fire.

That is a good choice. I bought one when we moved in our current house and still haven't used it. *knocks wood* Don't forget to read the instructions & take it out of the box first so that you don't have to read it while there's a roaring fire in your kitchen.

CrankyJay

Banned
I now understand why my wife doesn't appreciate me grocery shopping without her...just picked up a glazed spiral ham and a 9lb standing rib roast for Christmas. lol

zbarron

What dish do you think you'll need it for the most? Or did you have a dish in mind when you picked it up?
Fries are a good one. They take forever to cut with a knife and even cutting is key if you want them to fry evenly. Actually I plan on using it for most of my vegetable cutting. Carrots can be a litte rough to cut cleanly. I also like making cole slaw so I could whip that out in a couple seconds. We are doing vegetarian dinners this week and it really makes the vegetable cutting so much faster. It would also make doing the beautiful tart you see two pages ago or an apple pie much faster.
Add a mandolin to the pile of kitchen junk I want but I don't really need.
I got this one because it is highly recommended, cheap and will save me a lot of time.
Be careful when using those...I know a few home chefs that have lost tips of fingers using these, haha.
I've heard some horror stories. I need to make some vegetable stock so my plan is to not get greedy and when getting close to the edge just save the ends of all my veggies for a stock. It's not worth the risk. While it came with a finger guard it's not the best. I would much rather use a cut resistant glove.

It's versatile and I really like it. You can adjust the thickness of the slice and with the three attachment blades there really isn't much it can't do. I took the slices from my test potato, drizzled them in olive oil and put them under the broiler until crispy. Home made chips in a couple of minutes is a nice treat.

I'd recommend it to anyone here who spends more time than they like cutting vegetables.

Silkworm

Be careful when using those...I know a few home chefs that have lost tips of fingers using these, haha.

This a thousand time this... I speak from experience. I still need to get a glove though I have a hefty amount of respect for the mandolind so I try to be extra, extra careful when I get down close to the blade. I don't want another trip to the urgent care due to carelessness *sigh*

BTW, I was wondering if anyone here had ever used sanding sugar? I have a recipe for Chocolate Croissant Cookies I'd like to try but it uses sanding sugar. I couldn't find it but I did find sparkling sugar and it seems awfully close to being the same to what I was expecting for sanding sugar. Maybe the difference is just that sparkling sugar is courser than sanding sugar? *shrug* Anyway, it probably doesn't really matter but I was curious if someone here might have input on the difference between sanding and sparkling sugar. Thanks in advance!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_2346_zpse6a32085.jpg

Chicken an' dumplings tonight. Peas, carrots, onions, a few maitake mushrooms, pepper gravy, chicken chicharones on top.

it probably doesn't really matter but I was curious if someone here might have input on the difference between sanding and sparkling sugar. Thanks in advance!

Sanding sugar is a more fine grain than sparkling, which is usually very small cubes. Either should be suitable, though!

le-seb

Today's menu was goulash (or pörkölt, or whatever you want to call it)...
CIMG0641_v1.JPG

...and thin apple tart
CIMG0624_v1.JPG

CIMG0658_v1.JPG

Pretty proud of the tart, it went really well (the photos don't tell the truth, it's really good looking).

Hey, guys. Didn't know where to ask this (didn't want to start an actual thread), but, uh, I'm looking for kitchen knife set recommendations (w/inset block included) for under $200. Live in the US, btw.

thespot84

Sweet. Thanks.

If i can talk you out of it, don't get a knife block set:

1. blocks are known to be unsanitary unless you are rigorous in your drying habits.
2. you almost invariably pay for knives you don't need.
3. because they throw in extra knives, they cut down on quality to lower costs.

Instead, a good chef's knife, pairing knife, bread knife and a honing steel will provide for all your needs for a long while. For $200 you could get a few good quality lives that will last you a lifetime if you take care of them.

le-seb

Get a magnetic strip and put your knives up on the side of a cabinet or the walls.
Or craft them sheaths with cardboard, and put them away in a drawer (if you don't want them hanging on the wall, like me).
They don't prevent you from carefully drying the knives, but they're at least easy to replace.
Not too sexy either, but they're crazy cheap and super efficient protections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom