• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Rayman Legends considered a flop by Ubisoft? (does the 2d series have a future?)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
i absolutely love this game on PS4. In fact, i think i may need to buy a Wii U just for the other 2D winner - Tropical Freeze. Now, wheres my ebay shortcut...........

DO IT!!!! :p

Tropical Freeze is PHENOMENAL, best Donkey Kong Country game ever made imo. Honestly I have to give Rayman Legends and Donkey Kong a tie for best 2D platformer on Wii U
then you can get the Wii U version of Legends and experience Murfy in all his glory

DO IT!!!! :p

Tropical Freeze is PHENOMENAL, best Donkey Kong Country game ever made imo. Honestly I have to give Rayman Legends and Donkey Kong a tie for best 2D platformer on Wii U
then you can get the Wii U version of Legends and experience Murfy in all his glory

Tropical Freeze is awesome! Me & my brother had an absolute blast playing it. I enjoyed Rayman Legends very much and thought it was a solid platformer (which is my favorite genre).

Lijik

WOW there's more Rayman love than I expected, was surprised to see this back on the top page suddenly! :)

Ubisoft can't bury him again like they did during the Rabbids days, Sonic's games are hit and miss and they truck along, meanwhile I'd compare the best Rayman games to the best Mario games, they're THAT good imo

One thing that I liked about the original that they haven't repeated was the slightly darker, sinister tone. Whatever happened to Mr. Dark? Maybe there was a true ending I didn't get, but didn't he escape? I'm not even sure if the little creatures in Origins/Legends are supposed to be a re-imagining of him, but if they do make a 3rd game in this current series, I'd love for them to have Mr. Dark as the main villian:

MrDark.png
5de426_6f75a8c8a72447618ec43d0cbf9caf57.png

Rayman fans found an unused game script in I think the demo for Origins that reveals the villain of the game was a teensie wizard who got bullied in school a lot, and idolized mr. dark and wanted to be him.

Using the electoons to unlock playable characters was originally explained as Bubble Dreamer having lost his memory, and you help him remember the inhabitants of the glade who would otherwise be forgotten forever

ClearData

Funny, I'm playing it right now on PS4. I hope the series continues. I've really fallen in love with it. Origins was the first Rayman game I've played so I came into the series late.

Fisico

sörine;130165097 said:
He's using leaderboard counts I think. That actually covers digital but will miss some degree of physical sales.

It probably cover used sales and games borrowed too, the ranking is about how many wii u gamers played the game at least once, it would also explain why retail sales are slightly below that number.

Orgen

Not mandatory and if you are fine with playing just 2/3 of RO (but missing the hardest level this way), you'll get all you want from Rayman Legends anyway, because it includes about 2/3 of the levels from Origins as a "bonus".

Its not mandatory and you do get a chunk of the levels in Legends. If you still want to play it the 360 and Wii versions are both fine, avoid it on the 3DS

So 2/3 of Origins is included in Legends? Yep, I'll be set with Legends. Thanks for the answers! :)

I've never been able to stand Rayman. As a character, as an art-style...it has always struck me as really bad. On the other hand, you can see the love that has gone into the games and the quality is beyond question.

Personally I'd like to see Ubisoft cut Rayman free and start again with a different focus. I'm sure they could make a 2d series that ticks all the boxes.

Just for you:

O0QH3lTl.jpg

and yes, it is worldwide. Americans are listed.

btw. I only played for 2 or 3 hours or so. And I'm already higher than 1/3 of the players. Which means 1/3 of the people listed haven't played much of it.

Such a shame. Oh well. Sort of like Super Mario Galaxy numbers (sequel got way less sales than the first one, despite it being great as well)

Not even close to either Galaxy in terms of sales.

"As of April 2011, Super Mario Galaxy 2 has sold 6.36 million copies worldwide"

Fisico

Not even close to either Galaxy in terms of sales.

"As of April 2011, Super Mario Galaxy 2 has sold 6.36 million copies worldwide"

That's not what he meant, he just wanted to say the drop in sales from Origins (2.4M) to Legends (1.1M) is similar to the one from Galaxy (11.1M) to Galaxy 2 (6.6M) despite Galaxy 2 and Legends being sequels that, at least, matched their predecessor quality wise.

sörine;130165097 said:
He's using leaderboard counts I think. That actually covers digital but will miss some degree of physical sales.

It'd be interesting if we could leaderboard counts for all platforms for comparison.

320,303 on PS3

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, just using numbers of players who have played the game online on PS3 and Wii U we're already at 600k, completely ignoring numbers for Xbone, 360, PS4, PSVita and PC, as well as everyone who has bought the game and has never played it online. No way this game is only at 1.1 million.

J.W.Crazy

Those leaderboard numbers are probably a bad way to gauge actual sales because they're going to count each player separately even if they used the same copy of the game. PS3 is 20,000+ more than Wii U but people are saying Wii U was the best selling version?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Those leaderboard numbers are probably a bad way to gauge actual sales because they're going to count each player separately even if they used the same copy of the game. PS3 is 20,000+ more than Wii U but people are saying Wii U was the best selling version?
At least for retail sales where we got to know them it was, but maybe it has changed and now the PS3 version is the best selling one? How has the price and availability been for the different versions? Other possible factors:
(1) Higher online-adoption among Rayman players on PS3
(2) More players using individual accounts on PS3 to play the same game (only accounts playing the game show up in the list)
(3) More options to rent the game on PS3

These are just some possibilities, going by the online numbers my guess would be "The PS3 version has now outsold the Wii U version".

J.W.Crazy

I'm 104 for lums collected on Wii U but only 163 for the cups ranking so you've got me beat. I took a big hit last summer when I didn't have internet access for a little over a month but other than that I try to do the challenges every day. I've only been able to get one or two diamond cups. I just can't seem to figure out some of the more advanced moves.

Yeah I've gotten 2 diamond but 1 was erased after I transferred my data from the challenges application to the retail. Wii u apparently. Has the most skilled players. According to the top wii u players most of my times and scores would qualify for a diamond on the other consoles because their communities are larger and their players aren't as skilled

Jw crazy what's your wii u username? Mine is my GAF name TERRIBLE_MAJESTY

J.W.Crazy

Mine's the same as my GAF name too.

I've come so close to diamond many times. Especially with the go as far as you can challenges I find myself just a few meters short a lot.

The delay caused me to cancel my pre-order on Wii U and pick it up only once it went on sale under $20. Still should have released the Wii U version while porting it to other consoles. Guess we'll never know what that may have done for sales but to be honest I doubt it would have made too much of a difference.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The delay caused me to cancel my pre-order on Wii U and pick it up only once it went on sale under $20. Still should have released the Wii U version while porting it to other consoles. Guess we'll never know what that may have done for sales but to be honest I doubt it would have made too much of a difference.

They didn't just sit on the Wii U version after they went multi-platform, all versions of the game received a bunch of additional content (which it sorely needed). I'm sure the delay turned some people off buying the game but we did get a better game in the end, which is what really counts.

Shin-Ra

+27K in the last month on PS4, doesn't seem to be slowing down but who knows what promotions and second hand sales it's been doing.

15227935923_27c6af8806_o.jpg

krizzx

It's all Ubisoft's fault. Would have had better sells if not for the delay.

The Wii U version has jumped up a bit too.

raymanlegendsdgxeq.jpg

The combined numbers don't look bad. I can only imagine how much better this would have done if the games cost weren't increased, and sells for the platform people wanted it on the most weren't decreased. I doubt Ubi will ever acknowledge this though.

J.W.Crazy

Wii U Lums count is only up about 9000.

wiiu_screenshot_gamep77c5r.jpg

Distance seems to have the highest number though.

wiiu_screenshot_gamepq7x8o.jpg

I'd like to think that these increases actually represent sales but I don't know. It'd be nice to see another Rayman game that builds off of Origins and Legends. I felt like Origins wasn't quite as good as it could have been because so many of the early levels were designed around not having all the abilities. Legends fixed that by starting with them all but the rest of the game felt kind of uneven. The core game is solid and all the different playstyles are great on their own but they don't really come together as a cohesive whole in my opinion. I'd love to have an expanding challenge mode too.

Personally I'm happy with what the series has done with Origins and Legends. I hope they just leave it as is instead of milking the series with more sequels.

Rayman as a character I don't like, but I loved the worlds, enemies, and music. Never got a chance to play Legends yet, but I hope the series continues on.

Shin-Ra

Rayman 4K. It needs to happen.

It'd push me to upgrade quicker than any of the streaming 4K video content on offer already.

J.W.Crazy

Wii U had a nice jump too though not as big as the PS4 version. Hopefully this means they'll be another game sooner rather than later.

wiiu_screenshot_gamepyks56.jpg

Distance is still the highest on Wii U with 344,460.

I'd like to see more of these types of games from Ubisoft, even if they create a new franchise using the same (or a modified version of the same) engine.

Rayman Origins and Legends were both beautiful games, and memorable as well. Especially the sequel, which I've played and owned twice now. The Black Betty level alone is worth getting the game for.

ScOULaris

Wii U had a nice jump too though not as big as the PS4 version. Hopefully this means they'll be another game sooner rather than later.

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_gamepyks56.jpg

Distance is still the highest on Wii U with 344,460.

That's good to see. I'd have to think that a game of this scope would have had to turn a decent profit when you add up all of these theorized player counts. I really hope that's the case, anyway. Origins and Legends are two of the best 2D platformers to come around in ages. I'd love to see them continue to take the series further.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Ubisoft's next 2D platformer will star Aiden Pearce.

Gross. And I'm saying that having enjoyed Watch Dogs.

Bring back Prince of Persia!

They better make another 2D Rayman. Best 2D platformers ever.

I really want a 3rd game is the Origins/Legends series but only if they actually put in the same effort as those two masterpieces. We've seen enough game trilogies go sour

Haeleos

Origins is the better of the two games since it doesn't have Murray levels, but the music levels from Legends are really amazing and should definitely return if a third game is ever made.

Chopper

I loved Origins so much. Is this better? I plan on playing on Wii U....

Origins is the better of the two games since it doesn't have Murray levels, but the music levels from Legends are really amazing and should definitely return if a third game is ever made.
Oh. Murphy levels are okay on Wii U though, right...?

Bought this on the Wii U and the Murphy levels are awful. It really pisses me off how I have no direct control over the character, making it impossible to grab collectibles in easy reach.
Oh.

samn

Bought this on the Wii U and the Murphy levels are awful. It really pisses me off how I have no direct control over the character, making it impossible to grab collectibles in easy reach.

enigmatic_alex44

I actually love the Murphy levels. The Wii U version is still the truest version of the game released as intended . Not that awkward mess on the other versions replacing Murphy with automated button presses.

If you ever played a DS or 3DS game like Layton that uses the stylus, this is no different.

Chopper

I actually love the Murphy levels. The Wii U version is still the truest version of the game released as intended . Not that awkward mess on the other versions replacing Murphy with automated button presses.

If you ever played a DS or 3DS game like Layton that uses the stylus, this is no different.
I'm so conflicted.

This so much - if you played anything but the WiiU version (and honestly, with another person), you really only played half the intended game. Game was designed around two central conceits: gamepad and coop.

Kito

I don't think it sold well... Rayman Legends isn't even 1.5 years old, yet I purchased the PS3 version today dirt cheap for £6.99 new (LTTP).

Top Bottom