• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level-5 Vision 2016 "New Heroes" Livestream

What are you looking forward to seeing most today?

Results are only viewable after voting.
None of those new IPs have the charm of YW, PL or IE.

I was interested in Megaton but then mechas, lol.

Snack World looks like a reductive Fantasy Life.

If Level 5 wants a new hit IP, they should release Fantasy Life 3, produce an anime and do some amiibos based on the lives in the game, monsters and NPCs too. Fantasy Life is full of charms.

Bladenic

I wonder why Level-5 has completely abandoned console development outside of NNK2. I mean, I probably know why (money), but still. Anyway, Lady Layton looks awesome. The rest I can't be bothered to care about because even if they are localized it won't be for like 3 years. Hopefully NNk2 will have a shorter localization time since its success mainly came from overseas.

duckroll

I wonder why Level-5 has completely abandoned console development outside of NNK2. I mean, I probably know why (money), but still. Anyway, Lady Layton looks awesome. The rest I can't be bothered to care about because even if they are localized it won't be for like 3 years. Hopefully NNk2 will have a shorter localization time since its success mainly came from overseas.

I have good reason to believe that the only reason NnK2 exists is because of Bandai Namco Games, and specifically because of the English territories. Level5 could well be developing it only because there is significant funding coming from the overseas publisher. Note that the Japanese site doesn't even have a Japanese logo for the game and there has been almost no marketing on Level5's part for the game in Japan.

khaaan

I know this is silly, but when I saw the white phone next to the white 3DS for Snackworld my initial reaction was that it was an NX.

Can someone fully recap on what happen at Level-5 Fan Night in English? I would love to know what's going on.
a5ea96b6e4.jpg

What is this in English?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Ni no Kuni was funded by Namco Bandai. It was only cause of the huge sales of NNK1 in the west that it even exists right now from Level 5.

Alrus

I know home console version flopped in Japan, but what about the DS version? was it a flop too?

It sold "well" in a vacuum but was extremely overshipped and dropped in price quickly (Game took a lot of shelf space because it was sold with a book), it also sold way less than what they expected/hoped (Hino said he wanted it to sell at least a million copies iirc).

I have good reason to believe that the only reason NnK2 exists is because of Bandai Namco Games, and specifically because of the English territories. Level5 could well be developing it only because there is significant funding coming from the overseas publisher. Note that the Japanese site doesn't even have a Japanese logo for the game and there has been almost no marketing on Level5's part for the game in Japan.

It's pretty obvious they're only making NNK2 because of the first one's success in the west and that Namco is probably more involved this time yeah.

I think we're never going to see Level-5 develop stuff for consoles anymore unless they're contracted by another publisher. (and they don't really need contract work right now I'd guess)

Li Kao

Looking forward ? Well nothing, since as usual Level-5 will take 2-3 years to localize any new title, sequel it into the ground and it risks being charming but boring anyway.
Don't take me for a hater, I really want to love L5, there is just something with their production that don't play well with me.

Meffer

Ni no Kuni was funded by Namco Bandai. It was only cause of the huge sales of NNK1 in the west that it even exists right now from Level 5.
No, localization was funded by Bandai.
Level5 was hoping it would be big but they overestimated how it would've been received. They're great games but it just was not lucky in Japan. Overseas however it sold well.

wrowa

I wonder why Level-5 has completely abandoned console development outside of NNK2.

I don't think much has changed on that front. They'll make the occasional console game if someone else pays for it, but they won't waste their own money on it. It's definitely not a priority to them, since the kids audience they are betting on just isn't on consoles.

I think we'll continue to see console games made by Level 5 after Ni no Kuni 2, even if it's just so their staff can work on something a bit different from time to time.

Top Bottom