• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

why must we fight this way, with lists...with silliness.

Celebrate together the games coming out! Celebrate the coming of our Lord, Sir. Nathan Drake. Outlast the washing of our sins by the Order, and afterwards play some Powerstar Golf with Max. The Shadow of your old Fall has been forgiven, your Warframe's have been forgotten. Our Lords have a Knack for this sort of thing, a way of taking back the Injustice spread throughout this Broken Age. Run from the Battlefield in this War of Warcraft, for your time as a Shovel Knight is over and your duty as an octodad of faith has come. Your sins have been washed away, your Brave Default has Returned like Lighting to take its place.

Since your sins are gone, there is no need to reenact your old Persona by doing a drive by Spartan Assault with your Resogun, but Driveclub down to Rapture and watch that Sunset Overdrive. Fall asleep next to your Lococyle and rest your weary eyes--no nightmarish Crimson Dragons will attack you, for you have been saved, instead dream of Puppeteers, of getting the winning numbers to that Super Motherload of a Lotto, so you have enough money to Don't Starve. It's a Wonderful 101 we live in, but don't X out of it just yet as the Cloudberry Kingdom can wait. You were once a Wolf Among Us, a Dark Sould of the Walking Dead, but now you have come back to us no more as a Witcher, but as a Contrast to these fellow Titans who have Felled, as a woman who acts as a Spark in this Project of Destiny, as a woman who is a shining Halo for the those stuck in the Gears of War, for you are Queen of our Space Program, our Fire Emblem, the Infamous Kong of our Consortium that No Man can topple. You are humanity's Quantum Break.

Doffen

Gears of War was in danger of going multiplatform, Microsoft

Was the danger real? Doubtful, there are no evidence of any developer working on Gears of War for PS4. Perhaps it would have happened in 3-4 years, but that is not imminent danger.

TitanFall IP will be multiplatform you can count on it

At this point we don't even know who will publish the next Titanfall. Maybe Respawn was so disappointed in EA that they will go to Microsoft directly and earn more cash. Or maybe they will self publish and not go retail.

What I am trying to say is not having internal developers develop new IP's shows Microsoft is not actually that commited to creating new IP.
Sure I give you that. But Microsoft owns a lot of new IP's and they will continue to buy this year and the following years.

imtehman

Banned
As expected, people annoyed I included unannounced games of studios. Well only time will tell which company will invest more on new IPs. Lets agree to disagree, but I put my money down Sony will be more invested on new IP than Microsoft. Hopefully in a year of 2 I can prove I was right if not I'll eat crow I guess.

you mean you made a comparison between the two but each with different criteria and not expect to get called on it?

It's as ingenious as your contemporaries that bloat game lists with no name indie games and use that as proof that Sony has more games. I dont see people using Wii shovelware in their lists but now its okay.

Southside Jim

Neo Member
Why does everyone feel bad for Black Tusk again? Because they were burdened with the task of making a game that will sell a ton and already has a huge built-in fanbase? Isn't that like feeling bad for the poor schmucks who have to work on The Avengers sequel?

It's not like MS ordered them to make Grabbed by the Ghoulies 2.

Was the danger real? Doubtful, there are no evidence of any developer working on Gears of War for PS4. Perhaps it would have happened in 3-4 years, but that is not imminent danger.

The only danger (some may debate this) IMO was of another one not being made. It was obvious Epic had no desire to work on another game, as their business model seems to be shifting a bit.

LIST WARS!

I have a list...the only list that matters.

Banjo Kazooie
Conker
Perfect Dark
Battletoads
Crackdown
Midtown Madness
Blinx
Blast Corps
Crackdown
Mechassault
Lost Odyssey
Crimson Skies
Bloodwake
Rallisport Challenge
Blue Dragon
Quantum Redshift
Fusion Frenzy
Kung-Fu Chaos
Freelancer
ilomilo
Jet Force Gemini
Ninety Nine Nights
Viva Pinata
Sudeki
Voodoo Vince

WHERE ARE THE GODDAMN SEQUELS/REBOOTS?

Hell, at least a dozen from that list would be new IP for a whole generation of gamers. Do something with them, Microsoft. Spend some of that $1b on hiring some third party studios to work on those fantastic IP.

Jesus Christ...

LIST WARS!

Banjo Kazooie
Conker
Perfect Dark
Battletoads
Crackdown
Midtown Madness
Blinx
Blast Corps
Crackdown
Mechassault
Lost Odyssey
Crimson Skies
Bloodwake
Rallisport Challenge
Blue Dragon
Quantum Redshift
Fusion Frenzy
Kung-Fu Chaos
Freelancer
ilomilo
Jet Force Gemini
Ninety Nine Nights
Viva Pinata
Sudeki
Voodoo Vince

Hell, at least a dozen from that list would be new IP for a whole generation of gamers. Do something with them, Microsoft. Spend some of that $1b on hiring some third party studios to work on those fantastic IP.

Jesus Christ...

+1

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
LIST WARS!

Banjo Kazooie
Conker
Perfect Dark
Battletoads
Crackdown
Midtown Madness
Blinx
Blast Corps
Crackdown
Mechassault
Lost Odyssey
Crimson Skies
Bloodwake
Rallisport Challenge
Blue Dragon
Quantum Redshift
Fusion Frenzy
Kung-Fu Chaos
Freelancer
ilomilo
Jet Force Gemini
Ninety Nine Nights
Viva Pinata
Sudeki
Voodoo Vince

Jesus Christ...

A lot of those would make good budget titles actually.

ntkrnl

LIST WARS!

Banjo Kazooie
Conker
Perfect Dark
Battletoads
Crackdown
Midtown Madness
Blinx
Blast Corps
Crackdown
Mechassault
Lost Odyssey
Crimson Skies
Bloodwake
Rallisport Challenge
Blue Dragon
Quantum Redshift
Fusion Frenzy
Kung-Fu Chaos
Freelancer
ilomilo
Jet Force Gemini
Ninety Nine Nights
Viva Pinata
Sudeki
Voodoo Vince

Jesus Christ...

You will get Crackdown 3, unlikely announcement at E3 this year, as it is a 2016 release date.

ntkrnl

As do I. It doesn't smell very good either, coming from the ass and all.

Lol.... its kinda hard to impart any sense of legitimacy when you're the source and... I did just sign up yesterday.

I can tell you that there is a deal with Microsoft and Cloudgine for the project (codenamed Nimbus) that was struck back last year.

There is a bunch of other stuff I can maybe say that would make me look like I'm telling the truth too, but its pretty awkward just strolling into a thread and blowing my load, you know?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Lol.... its kinda hard to impart any sense of legitimacy when you're the source and... I did just sign up yesterday.

I can tell you that there is a deal with Microsoft and Cloudgine for the project (codenamed Nimbus) that was struck back last year.

There is a bunch of other stuff I can maybe say that would make me look like I'm telling the truth too, but its pretty awkward just strolling into a thread and blowing my load, you know?

You need to OK insider knowledge with mods before dropping bombs on this forum.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
This is what MS should green light if they haven't already:

Banjo Kazooie -> XB1 AAA release
Perfect Dark -> XB1 AAA release
Crackdown -> XB1 AAA release
Mechassault -> XB1 / PC AAA release
Lost Odyssey -> XB1 Mid-budget JRPG (Episodic?)

Battletoads-> XBLA Beat-em up
Crimson Skies -> XBLA $20 digital release (short single, plus multi)
Fusion Frenzy -> XBLA $20 Party Game
Viva Pinata -> XBLA $20 family Game
Phantom Dust -> XBLA $20 Game

statham

interesting. I'm okay with 2016, just as long as I know its coming.

edit: yep, you should PM bish soon.

Bsigg12

Like Vernia said, PM a mod. Dropping insider info will get you banned if you aren't cleared through them.

Once you've done that, I would love to hear more.

researching I found David Jones and Marco Anastasi are founders of Cloudgine, they both were in Realtime Worlds, and at least Dave Jones worked in Crackdown

we might be onto something?

Bsigg12

researching I found David Jones and Marco Anastasi are founders of Cloudgine, they both were in Realtime Worlds, and at least Dave Jones worked in Crackdown

Awww damn, here we go. I could deal with a 2016 release. That means we would have Gears and Crackdown in 2016.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Hi. We don't mind people who have access to stuff sharing it here, or even doing so obliquely. And nothing you're saying sounds crazy. But you might want to send a private message to Nirolak (who is a moderator here) just to identify yourself. We don't need your full name and identity or anything, just a sort of brief summary about whether you're speaking first-hand or second-hand, and what your work position is such that you'd have this information. I'll also note that if stuff turns out to be totally wrong and it becomes clear you made it up--there's a difference between this and information changing, which is totally normal--obviously your account will be forfeit.

Edit: I see, bishoptl followed up. It's all good.

LTWheels

gXmQbrM.png

TidyCourteousIberianmidwifetoad.gif

A lot of those would make good budget titles actually.

indeed they would. Smaller, digital releases would be perfect for most of them. I just hope that MS sees sense and actually does something with them. Killer Instinct should show them that there's a market for some of their older IP.

You will get Crackdown 3, unlikely announcement at E3 this year, as it is a 2016 release date.

Looking up Cloudgine, they seem to be a multi player cloud gaming service. Does that mean the next Crackdown is going to be MMO-esque? Not sure I like the idea of that. I want a traditional CD game.

I'd love to hear more once you're verified.

Well, Dave Jones is Co-Founder of Cloudgine

Tech start-up with a great team, great vision & great technology. In stealth at the moment, but excited to see their upcoming unveiling in the not too distant future.

If true, E3 2015 announcement? They seem very small at the moment though

ntkrnl

I wish you would have said, "You will get Perfect Dark 2 or the next Banjo-Kazooie" but Crackdown will do just fine.

I could say it, but who the hell knows if it true.. or what they're doing over there.

Also, I am in the process of getting verified with bishoptl, so no more crazy shit until that is done.

Well damn. Fantastic that we might be getting a new CD, but I don't like the idea of it possibly being MMO-esque. With Dave Jones part of Cloudgine, seems he might be wanting to recreating APB using the Crackdown IP...

Worth noting that Mike Ybarra (Studio partner manager at MS) was in Scotland just before Christmas and told me he wasn't at Ruffian but was with other MS stuff so presumably work related...

Silky

Banned
Worth noting that Mike Ybarra (Studio partner manager at MS) was in Scotland just before Christmas and told me he wasn't at Ruffian but was work related...

Ruffian handles the actual design of Crackdown 3, Cloudgine does the multiplayer grunt work alongisde Azure?

Sounds...tasty.

Bsigg12

I'm thinking it would be a 2015 aannouncement as well. I'm curious to what would be in the pipeline for 2015 then since we have Halo coming out this year, Gears and potentially Crackdown now for 2016. Sunset Overdrive will be this year and I can't see QB moving past Spring of 2015. Fable Legends doesn't seem like it would be big enough for their fall 2015 release.

RBH

:O

Top Bottom