• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

Miles X

The deal, but not development. Release is penciled for Q1 of 2016

CLARITY EDIT: I mean that development started before the deal was struck, so it will probably be about 2.5 years total.

I'm so confused, is Ruffian doing C3 or this new studio which is also in Scotland?

statham

CLARITY EDIT: I mean that development started before the deal was struck, so it will probably be about 2.5 years total.

2.5 years sounds about right, any idea how big the team is?

Crackdown needs some evolution in the formula though.

Yeah, it's hard to argue against this, but I don't want that evolution to be in the shape of an MMO. Co-op, as mention by Vernia, would be acceptable and was the main highlight of Crackdown 2, but that's it.

Evolution could take the form of having rogue agents or crime lords getting agent based powers. Some level of destruction would be nice too. And bring back the transforming vehicles.

Very interesting. So are Cloudgine just getting set-up then?

Also, don't suppose you have any idea what Ruffian are up to on Xbox One?

I could say it, but who the hell knows if it true.. or what they're doing over there.

Also, I am in the process of getting verified with bishoptl, so no more crazy shit until that is done.
Well if you know even this much about Crackdown and nothing about Rare I am not too confident they are in the works.

Thanks for the Crackdown info though :) Great news!

Gears better have more than a year and a half development time. I know Microsoft sees it as one of their big IPs but they need to give Black Tusk as much time as possible, especially considering development just started. I'm really hoping for a Q4 2016 release for Gears.

Doffen

Yeah, it was crazy times for them apparently. It's the main reason why I'm not so down on Ruffian and always wanted to see them get a second chance. They had some great ideas in CD2, they just need proper funding and development time to really show off what they are capable of.

What I liked about Crackdown 2 was the updated Co-op mode, pick colors on the agent and helicopter.

And also that we got this.

Miles X

Gears better have more than a year and a half development time. I know Microsoft sees it as one of their big IPs but they need to give Black Tusk as much time as possible, especially considering development just started. I'm really hoping for a Q4 2016 release for Gears.

I would bet on November 2015. Phil says MS and Epic have been talking about this Gears deal for a while, I imagine when it started looking like it was a very real possibility they started work. If it does release then, that's 2 years dev time which was standard for Gears last gen.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I would bet on November 2015. Phil says MS and Epic have been talking about this Gears deal for a while, I imagine when it started looking like it was a very real possibility they started work. If it does release then, that's 2 years dev time which was standard for Gears last gen.

Phil tweeted that development started a week ago.

ntkrnl

I think Gears is a fall 2016 game. Crackdown probably will be in the spring of 2016

Probably this. No data on Gears, but it'd make the most sense, especially when you look at historical releases being in the holiday season, with the exception of Judgement.

Well then, either 1 year 10 months dev time (rushed) or 2.5 years +. Can't see them launching this in Q1/Q2 of any year.

What are they gonna have as next fall's big blockbuster tho?

jodark_pdz_09_big.jpg

But on a serious note it could be some game we don't know about yet and might be at E3.

Linkified

Yeah, it's hard to argue against this, but I don't want that evolution to be in the shape of an MMO. Co-op, as mention by Vernia, would be acceptable and was the main highlight of Crackdown 2, but that's it.

Evolution could take the form of having rogue agents or crime lords getting agent based powers. Some level of destruction would be nice too. And bring back the transforming vehicles.

I kinda want Crackdown 3 to be like that Necessary Force game Midway Newcastle were doing before Midway went bankrupt

This to me sounds awesome:
s a police officer assigned to this beat, you’re looking at a clean-up operation, which due to the game’s construction will play out literally. As you eliminate criminal activity to make these streets safer, we’re told, they will transform. The ubiquitous graffiti will be scrubbed away. Boards will be removed from windows. Entire buildings will be replaced with shiny new constructions, putting a shop, say, were once there was a tumbling-down tenement.

If they can put that as one of the key elements plus add a more concise open world story + some kinda of dynamic player to player interaction. Then I would have stars in my eyes ...

I don't believe we'll ever see Crackdown 3. It feels like Spencer rides the popularity wave and then move backs to the middle ground once he feels he's suckered in enough people...

I refuse to believe anything he says until I have proof in the form on an announcement video that there's a new CD and a PD coming out. It's all BS up until that point...

Why must you crush my hopes and dreams miles? :'(

Crackdown 3 I believe in you. Please be real

Edit: YES YES YES. I knew to believe. Crackdown 3 Awww yeah

ntkrnl

I think Gears is a fall 2016 game. Crackdown probably will be in the spring of 2016

Any other news you can share on Crackdown?

Not right now, I'm sorry. It is so, so early in the pipeline that this is all we have. Though I do know they want it to be a VERY good game.

I know that sounds bullshit, because who wants to make a shitty game, right? But there are huge incentives for everyone involved if it scores well.

Not right now, I'm sorry. It is so, so early in the pipeline that this is all we have. Though I do know they want it to be a VERY good game.

I know that sounds bullshit, because who wants to make a shitty game, right? But there are huge incentives for everyone involved if it scores well.
With the success of Killer Instinct doing well Phil has mentioned he would like to see other old IP make a return. Any ideas you have heard thrown around?

Do you know anything else about Microsoft's unannounced games or is it just Crackdown you have knowledge of?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

Well thanks for the info. This was fun.

Man I hope this is true. I loved both Crackdown games. I hate so much that these companies wont just let people know what they are working on.

jbug617

Banned
Well then, either 1 year 10 months dev time (rushed) or 2.5 years +. Can't see them launching this in Q1/Q2 of any year.

What are they gonna have as next fall's big blockbuster tho?

Fall 2015 makes sense if they want to break a new IP. Quantum Break in Spring and a new IP for the Fall.

I kinda want Crackdown 3 to be like that Necessary Force game Midway Newcastle were doing before Midway went bankrupt

This to me sounds awesome:

If they can put that as one of the key elements plus add a more concise open world story + some kinda of dynamic player to player interaction. Then I would have stars in my eyes ...

That actually sounds pretty great. I'd love to see that happen in CD3. Sounds like the natural next step to take from CD1 with how the game world changed when you killed lieutenants and the crime lords.

Why must you crush my hopes and dreams miles? :'(

Crackdown 3 I believe in you. Please be real

Edit: YES YES YES. I knew to believe. Crackdown 3 Awww yeah

Yeah, seems I was too hasty to call Phil on his BS. In my defence, it did seem like he was only riding the popularity wave and getting people excited with nothing to show for it...

He needs to learn to be more tactful in future.

I'm so glad I came back into this thread :D

Thanks ntkrnl

Yeah, seems I was too hasty to call Phil on his BS. In my defence, it did seem like he was only riding the popularity wave and getting people excited with nothing to show for it...

He needs to learn to be more tactful in future.

Wonder if this means anything about phantom dust then?

ntkrnl

Do you know anything else about Microsoft's unannounced games or is it just Crackdown you have knowledge of?

A bunch. I'm gonna take it a little easy because I'm sure someone is, or will be pounding their fist into a mahogany desk overlooking the Redmond campus.

What has me excited right now is the revisiting of Halo. So later this year we're gonna get Halo 2 Anniversary edition WITH ALL SORTS OF SHIT. On Xbox One. November 11th!

A bunch. I'm gonna take it a little easy because I'm sure someone is, or will be pounding their fist into a mahogany desk overlooking the Redmond campus.

What has me excited right now is the revisiting of Halo. So later this year we're gonna get Halo 2 Anniversary edition WITH ALL SORTS OF SHIT. On Xbox One. November 11th!

Woah Halo 2 on XB1. Megaton

What's huge and on par with Halo/Titanfall/Gears though?

Certainly won't be coming from MS. All I can think of is buying something like Fallout

I could see MS doing a deal for Mass Effect 4 or Bioshock. Bioshock probably wont have a sequel for a while so i could see Mass Effect 4 since that is associated with XBOX.

Top Bottom