• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 has ~43m "owners", ~11m MAUs, >750 average hours played by 25% of players

Courtesy of Saty

MAU= Monthly Active User, the number you see when visiting http://blog.dota2.com/

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...mpresses-with-super-engaged-player-base-eedar

Using a methodology similar to that outlined by an April 2014 Ars Technica article (which placed Dota 2 owners at 26 million), EEDAR samples Steam accounts on a daily basis to better understand Steam player behavior and title performance. This data suggests that the number of Steam accounts with Dota 2 installed has increased 85% in the past year to 42.9 million as of February 2015.

Good thing someone is using Ars' method to get data but why haven't A SINGLE ENTITY jumped on it and did regular posts of sales information. A sales-data treasure trove that no website or journalist acknowledges.

I worry Orland's talk at GDC* will be light on new sales data for the biggest of games.

*edited in the link for the talk

CWnaCFj.png

FACE

Banned
The amount of monthly users has been steadily increasing since it came out of beta, pretty impressive.

Fuck Dota 2.

QaaQer

Anyone miss the days when big single player games were hard and could give a real sense of accomplishment and tension like dota?

I'd say at least 100 hours of my play time is a combination of sitting in lobbies and watching the Internationals. But I still have several hundred hours and I barely even play the game these days unless I'm queuing up with friends.

jblank83

I remember when Steam gave me a free copy, then it gave me 3 free copies to give to friends.

I think I and my friends have spent a couple of hours total on it.

I'd say at least 100 hours of my play time is a combination of sitting in lobbies and watching the Internationals. But I still have several hundred hours and I barely even play the game these days unless I'm queuing up with friends.

This is also true.
You spend more than half the time in dota waiting for matchmaking/picks/lobbies/countdown/people disconnecting or leaving

fuck matchmaking , especially without drop in drop out

If you are someone who has an hour every night to play games, don't play dota, it does not respect your time at all.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Mine was a free copy and I've played 23 minutes total

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'd expect another sizeable increase once Source 2 + Custom Games get pushed out.

Cyrano

Anyone miss the days when big single player games were hard and could give a real sense of accomplishment and tension like dota?
Depending on technical skill, these days never existed. But the majority of modern games are a lot easier in terms of physical exertion required, yeah.

2500 hours is blowing my mind. I guess those must be pros?

Haunted

Not sure whether the "I got it for free" posts are joking or genuine ignorance (Dota 2 is a F2P game).

I've got 596 hours logged with that beast and I'm about average.

Phatmac

842 hours after I quit playing. It's probably one of my favorite games but I had to stop playing because it was ruining my life

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Depending on technical skill, these days never existed. But the majority of modern games are a lot easier in terms of physical exertion required, yeah.

I had a Dota video playing on Youtube in the background when I opened this thread, he's a high level amateur player/occasional low level pro player and he has 8,000 hours logged and estimated 6,000 actually playing.

collige

Banned

Nah, 2500 hours is like average level play, assuming you have no previous MOBA experience.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Nah, 2500 hours is like average level play, assuming you have no previous MOBA experience.

Average level play is a lot lower than people realize. The actual average player in both LoL and Dota who plays ranked games is what people would say is bad. Average players generally don't understand what items to buy or why and have done no research on the game outside of their own play. In Dota, average players still consider anything with invisibility to be completely broken.

collige

Banned
Average level play is a lot lower than people realize. The actual average player in both LoL and Dota who plays ranked games is what people would say is bad. Average players generally don't understand what items to buy or why and have done no research on the game outside of their own play.

I'm sorry, I meant average as in 5/10 in skill where 10 would be Dendi and 1 is total noob. Obviously, the typical Dota player is far worse than that considering that most people who own Dota barely play the game.

Average level play is a lot lower than people realize. The actual average player in both LoL and Dota who plays ranked games is what people would say is bad. Average players generally don't understand what items to buy or why and have done no research on the game outside of their own play. In Dota, average players still consider anything with invisibility to be completely broken.

Yeah, people who are really invested in the game think that 4000 MMR is average, when in reality its like 1500-2000 or something.

There's average, and then there is average among people who know how to play all the heroes competently.

Haunted

Yeah, people who are really invested in the game think that 4000 MMR is average, when in reality its like 1500-2000 or something.

There's average, and then there is average among people who know how to play all the heroes competently.
What's the actual median MMR? Last time I checked it was somewhere around 2k.

edit: that's obviously only people who are invested in the game. 60% of owners mentioned in the OP haven't played the game long enough to have finished their MMR calibration. :D

Was surprised to read. I thought I was within the average time played with 2k hours lol.
The Dota 2 thread echo chamber. Stat reports like these are good to gain some perspective. :)

Yasae

Banned
Don't buy wards.
Don't buy courier.
Pick all carries / Pick all supports.
Steal farm from hard carry playing as a hard support.
Don't speak a lick of english, but queue on US server anyway.
Refuse to push towers.
Ping on other players repeatedly even though you know they can't help you because you've made yet another stupid fucking decision.
Open mic. Open mic! OPEN MIC! Muted.
Feed.
Feed.
Feed.
Feed.
Feed.
Feed.
Feed.
Feed.
Feed. Feed. Feed.

Dota 2™

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What's the actual median MMR? Last time I checked it was somewhere around 2k.

edit: that's obviously only people who are invested in the game. 60% of owners mentioned in the OP haven't played the game long enough to have finished their MMR calibration. :D

The Dota 2 thread echo chamber. Stat reports like these are good to gain some perspective. :)

Valve's original number released was 2.2K average MMR for active ranked players but that was an old figure. Somebody from Dotabuff posted some numbers recently that said 72% of games take place under 3.1K.

Kade

1400 hours and I'm still shit. I could be competing in MLG Call of Duty and making Hot Pockets and Gunnar Optiks sponsorship money with that time played.

Maedhros

This is certainly one of these games that I can see ruining lots of lifes, while being "fun" (of course, this being subjective). Kinda like Ragnarok Online was for me.

I seriously can't recommend these type of games anymore.

Vitor711

Haha, that's my playtime and I'm pretty much average. I have my good days but I don't have the attention span for 50 minute + games so am prone to throwing easy wins because I stop paying attention around the 30 minute mark.

I was 4.8k but a massive losing streak (and a refusal to play as the current top pub heroes) has dropped me down around 400 points.

I bet pros play A LOT more than that. You have to remember that some people have years of playtime already on the original DOTA which wouldn't be tracked here.

I've managed to rack up 478 hours. I think the key to my enjoyment has been playing unranked only with 2-3 friends. I hardly see the things people complain about. I don't have an MMR and I have no idea what it would be if I had one.

Top Bottom