• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELLDIVERS - Review Thread

ZVDVqXh.png

(Shamelessly stolen from the OT)

2Dp4.gif
ezquYq8.gif

Remember it is Cross-buy, Cross-save, Cross-Chat and Cross-play.. which is amazing.

Price: $19.99 or ~$18 the first week with PS+

Select Button - 10/10

Jimquisition - 9.5/10

Destructoid - 9/10

PSNation - 9/10

PlayStation Universe - 9/10

Videogamer - "HELLDIVERS is awesome"

PlaystationLifeStyle - 8.5/10

God is a Geek - 8.5/10

Push Square - 8/10

Gamespot - 8/10 (Great)

TheSixthAxis - 8/10

Shacknews - 8/10

JoyPad.dk - 80/100

GamesVillage.it - 8/10

Game Revolution - 4/5

USGamer - 4/5

VGNetwork.it - 7.5/10

IGN Italy - 7.4

Amir0x - 10/10
cW2ESvw.png

Amir0x

Banned
I've been hearing crazy positive things about this game from trusted GAFers, and now the reviews are already coming in high.

Once again small devs save the day with smart, gameplay-focused design after "AAA" The Order embarrassment. Resogun saved PS4 launch. :salute the unsung heroes:

Gurish

We are not getting it for free ha?
Could have been one of the best Plus months ever, anyway it seems like it well worth a full price.

nib95

Banned
I've been hearing crazy positive things about this game from trusted GAFers, and now the reviews are already coming in high.

Once again small devs save the day with smart, gameplay-focused design after The Order embarrassment. :salute:

There really is no need for the latter, especially in a thread completely unrelated to the game. Most people playing it seem to be enjoying it, and that's ultimately what matters.

In any case, this game completely fell off my radar, but if GAF impressions and reviews are both highly positive, I may have to jump in.

Mdk7

7.4 from me, on IGN Italy

Some - those that love a bit of pain in their games, to make the reward even sweeter - might be truly bewitched by this charming game, especially if they'll play it with the right company. All the others will find in Helldivers a fun and refreshing experience, one that's capable of adding something unique to a well known formula crowded with glorious precursors. It might not be fully on par with the best ever in its genre, but don't hesitate to give it a chance if you dig this kind of shooters.
:p

jmaine_ph

We are not getting it for free ha?
Could have been one of the best Plus months ever, anyway it seems like it well worth a full price.
Too much potential for a free game. Did you watch any gameplay? This is one of the most in depth top down shooters I've seen for $20

fedexpeon

Banned
When did they add cape?
Fun factor increases by 10.

Anyway, this game is what Destiny should have tried to be with its assets imo.
And man, can't believe this is to PS+ users.
Sogood.gif

Edit: Aww, not free. But 10% discount is still good.

I'm guessing this would not be recommended as a single player experience?

Anyway, this game is what Destiny should have tried to be with its assets imo.
And man, can't believe this is free to PS+ users.
Sogood.gif

You don't have to believe it, because it's not. :p

Amir0x

Banned
There really is no need for the latter, especially in a thread completely unrelated to the game. Most people playing it seem to be enjoying it, and that's ultimately what matters.

In any case, this game completely fell off my radar, but if GAF impressions and reviews are both highly positive, I may have to jump in.

Just callin' it like the truth knows it. >:D

PS4 had a rough launch, t'was saved by Resogun. Not cinematic bloated ten thousand shaders a second modern shooter with glowing yellow arrows, but pure explosive gameplay in a bottle refined to a perfect 10 sheen. The Order was a mass of poor game design choices with endless uninteresting cinematics interspersed through one of the most beautiful game engines ever made for a console. And remember, it was delayed into 2015. This is their "polished" vision. I know! And now, Helldiver's save the day with a distinctive, crossplay and crosssave system unifying Sony platforms underneath the banner of purely gameplay driven shenanigans of the highest quality order. Small devs/indies always save the day for Sony. Sony was quite wise to invest so much attention in this side of the fence, I'm sure they're going to need a small dev to save Naughty Dog after UC4 debacle. Maybe No Man's Sky or Galak-Z or The Witness will save the day. Who knows. Exciting times ahead though, no?

I'm just teasing man, relax. It's just playing game dissin', nothing personal. :D

jmaine_ph

Just callin' it like the truth knows it. >:D

PS4 had a rough launch, t'was saved by Resogun. Not cinematic bloated ten thousand shaders a second modern shooter with glowing yellow arrows, but pure explosive gameplay in a bottle refined to a perfect 10 sheen. The Order was a mass of poor game design choices with endless uninteresting cinematics interspersed through one of the most beautiful game engines ever made for a console. And remember, it was delayed into 2015. This is their "polished" vision. I know! And now, Helldiver's save the day with a distinctive, crossplay and crosssave system unifying Sony platforms underneath the banner of purely gameplay driven shenanigans of the highest quality order. Small devs/indies always save the day for Sony. Sony was quite wise to invest so much attention in this side of the fence, I'm sure they're going to need a small dev to save Naughty Dog after UC4 debacle. Maybe No Man's Sky or Galak-Z or The Witness will save the day. Who knows. Exciting times ahead though, no?

I'm just teasing man, relax. It's just playing game dissin', nothing personal. :D
Almost blew a gasket when you mentioned Naughty and needing to be saved in the same sentence lol

Rosur

How is it singleplayer thinking of getting but doubt I'll play much of the co-op due to none of my friends getting this.

Lingitiz

How is it singleplayer thinking of getting but doubt I'll play much of the co-op due to none of my friends getting this.

From a friend that was reviewing the game (and from reading reviews), it's pretty much MP or bust. The SP doesn't sound worth the time.

Hanmik

My danish review is here: http://www.joypad.dk/index.php/anmeldelser/1-spil/377-anmeldelse-helldivers.html

As a coop multiplayer game it is really fun and challenging.. as a singleplayer game it is a boring grind.
Vita version has some problems:
- Longer loadtimes.
- Shadows and some objects look terrible.
- Reload and throwing Grenades are done by swipping Down on the touchscreen on the back of the Vita. That is terrible in a hectic firefight.. terrible.. Grenades get thrown at other players feet and it is hard to reload instantly.

Mdk7

On a scale from 1 to 10.... these decimal numbers in a review make absolutely zero sense.
Just my two cents ;)

They are nuances, meant to give you a better idea of the overall value.
Nothing revolutionary of course, but a 7.4 is different from a 7.7.

Amir0x

Banned
My danish review is here: http://www.joypad.dk/index.php/anmeldelser/1-spil/377-anmeldelse-helldivers.html

As a coop multiplayer game it is really fun and challenging.. as a singleplayer game it is a boring grind.
- Longer loadtimes.
- Reload and throwing Grenades are done by swipping Down on the touchscreen on the back of the Vita. That is terrible in a hectic firefight.. terrible.. Grenades get thrown at other players feet and it is hard to reload instantly.

That's what I was wondering about. Vita version seems bad bad bad unfortunately.

Good thing it was always PS4 version for me! :D

Just pretend its a scale from 1-100 then. Same thing....
Yep, which makes just as much sense....

On a scale from 1 to 10.... two cents make absolutely zero sense.
And 3 cents?

- Longer loadtimes.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I couldn't believe how long the load times were for the Vita version. This video convinced me to hold off on purchasing it until I have a PS4.

Booshka

Saw it during Giantbomb's UPF, it looked fantastic and with a ton of replay value, co-op and challenge.

Definitely picking this up when I get a PS4.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a single player campaign? Or do you have to play with 2-4 players? Thanks.

Garuda1One

Because we have decimal numbers, and we use them. :)

really ? .4 or any decimal number doesnt add any real value to the score..
" 7.4 ?? Damn it, its a no buy for me !! I was hoping for 7.6 !! "

anyway.. words on vita performance scares me,, im going to play this on vita alot rather than on my ps4,, anyone can confirm how smooth the gameplay is on vita ?

not expecting much in terms on graphic, shadow, sound etc in vita... im looking at you dead nation....................

Hanmik

That's what I was wondering about. Vita version seems bad bad bad unfortunately.

Good thing it was always PS4 version for me! :D

I almost forgot..I joined several games on my Vita where there was 3 other players, the framerate went to shit.. for real I thought there was a problem with my Vita. It was like playing the game in slow motion. As soon as one player was dead the framerate was better, but once all 4 players were back, the framerate went to shit again.
It wasn´t like that all the time, but like 50% of the games I played on the Vita.

Top Bottom