• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody Ride a Horse or Similar Beast to Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SURGEdude

So I realize this sounds strange to many people, but since moving from the cities (Minneapolis,Chicago,NYC,Denver) I went to a small town. Ever since I arrived in rural America I found a horse (Grendel) was the easiest method of transport. She can bypass most obstacles I faced as a driver in this environment.

My boss says this is an increasing trend.

With proper feed I feel this is better than leaving her in the barn. She loves the workout, and I like the transport.

Funny enough I never rode a horse until now.

Am I alone? Or do other Gaffers ride animals to work?

HUELEN10

Oh how I wish I lived in a town where I could do just that!

If I could ride a horse, I would do it, no question.

SURGEdude

And to SarcasmGaf, I'm not kidding. In my newly moved state horses are still regulated much less than cars.

And I do have a car drivers license, but Grendel is far more capable when it comes to mixed terrain. Her food is cheaper than gas too.

Smithy C

So does the horse just stand around for like 8 hours while you're working, or is there like a club where the horses hang out with each other and play Mario Kart?

Pictures of the area you live in and the horse, please! To give us an idea of what area it is you live in where riding a horse to work is viable.

This sounds pretty cool.

SURGEdude

So does the horse just stand around for like 8 hours while you're working, or is there like a club where the horses hang out with each other and play Mario Kart?

No. I take her a half mile to Subway or the bar for lunch every day. She gets like 2-3 miles in work with me, and the rest in the yard.

I would buy HorseKart if I could. My animals deserve it. Get on it Nintendo. :p

obin_gam

NC1AsMh.jpg

Uhhh you want a pic of me with a horse? Or are you asking for a doc of me going to work?

yes to all of this.

Smithy C

No. I take her a half mile to Subway or the bar for lunch every day. She gets like 2-3 miles in work with me, and the rest in the yard.

I would buy HorseKart if I could. My animals deserve it. Get on it Nintendo. :p

It's cool that you're nice to your horse. I don't like the idea of it just stuck waiting for you to finish work for 8 hours, so it's nice that you go hang out with it at lunch.

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not fucking crazy.

I think Gaf doesn't realize how common old transit is in certain areas.

Well, it wasn't like I rode from my house. Just a kilometre or so from the stables where we groomed the horses to the ranch where we did the rides, and then I'd ride them for another 7 hours taking people up and down the mountains. I would take a horse everywhere if I could, though. I hate driving.

SURGEdude

It's cool that you're nice to your horse. I don't like the idea of it just stuck waiting for you to finish work for 8 hours, so it's nice that you go hang out with it at lunch.

I'm open to suggestions on how to do better. This seems better than chilling in a fenced off yard.

SURGEdude

Well, it wasn't like I rode from my house. Just a kilometre or so from the stables where we groomed the horses to the ranch where we did the rides, and then I'd ride them for another 7 hours taking people up and down the mountains. I would take a horse everywhere if I could, though. I hate driving.

My work it 2.8 miles each way (plus a mile for lunch) so not too dissimilar.

My biggest issue is bicyclists giving me the evil eye. Despite the law.

Well it's 5:35 AM here so sure later tonight.

I surprised I'm alone, I see tons of other people on horses or donkeys here locally.

I guess I just didn't realize how many people found this alien.

There's just no opportunity to in many, many areas: no horse-friendly paths, nowhere to safely leave the animal while indoors.

What distance can you feasibly commute this way?

Anno

My mom rides her horse back and forth to work when it's not too cold, but she actually manages a barn of horses and teaches therapeutic horseback riding. I totally would take a horse to work if I could, I actually miss riding a lot since moving more to the city.

SURGEdude

There's just no opportunity to in many, many areas: no horse-friendly paths, nowhere to safely leave the animal while indoors.

What distance can you feasibly commute this way?

2.8 miles each way.

The reason I went horse was mostly poverty, however she is able to do major snow and no car can handle that. My co-workers call in and I've been there for an hour.

2.8 miles each way.

The reason I went horse was mostly poverty, however she is able to do major snow and no car can handle that. My co-workers call in and I've been there for an hour.

Sorry, I meant to ask, what's the largest distance you can imagine someone realistically commuting? This thread made me realize that I know basically nothing about horses as far as speed or range go.

SURGEdude

My mom rides her horse back and forth to work when it's not too cold, but she actually manages a barn of horses and teaches therapeutic horseback riding. I totally would take a horse to work if I could, I actually miss riding a lot since moving more to the city.

If you look into the laws, many of them are horse friendly. I suppose that is due to not updating them-- but still.

Bicyclists are often not aware of the need for slower speeds and additional operating space near horses. Horses can be startled easily and may be unpredictable if the perceive approaching bicyclists as a danger. In addition, pavement requirements for bicycle travel are not suitable for horses. For these reasons, a bridle trail separate from the shared use path is recommended to accommodate horses."
AASHTO's statement is true, but the reality is that equestrians, like bicyclists and pedestrians, do need to use transportation corridors. Equestrians would prefer the safety of a Shared Use Path or a separate bridle trail in the verge, to the open roadway teeming with speeding cars, large trucks, and motorcycles

Illinois Trail Riders is concerned that motorists and law enforcement officers are not aware that horses have road rights

SURGEdude

Sorry, I meant to ask, what's the largest distance you can imagine someone realistically commuting? This thread made me realize that I know basically nothing about horses as far as speed or range go.

Horses moving a quick pace ( not running) got about 12 MPH vs human 5MPH.

Again this is a slow pace for a horse. Max speed is theoretically 45 MPH but realistically 35 MPH. Sustained 25+.

I wish! The problem is I can't decide if I should lease or buy it. I hear the value goes down 20% as soon as it gallops off the lot.

SURGEdude

What kind of job do you have? Where is the horse when you're working?

Banking- mostly small loans.

As for her, she is basically an (unintentional) attraction. Everyone loves her and pets her. On top of that I give some of my co-workers her bridal key so she gets a lot of work during the day. Her poo is often full of food wrappers, despite my wishes. By riding her to work she gets far more than the area she would have otherwise to workout.

I bring her to work for my own financial reasons. That said I have a window looking at her, and I will kick anybody's ass who fuck with my girl.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I would ride a majestic stallion to work every day if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom