• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what is up with the gta 5 installation time on ps4

Amory

This is insane. I decided to buy it last night and got the installation going before I headed to bed, about 16 hours ago at this point. how is it still not done??

Is this something rockstar is doing? I don't have the best internet speed ever but it's not this bad. A quick Google search shows this has been an issue since launch.

Berordn

I didn't realize this was an issue.

Only took me about 20 minutes when I first booted it, which I thought was ludicrous at the time.

bombshell

This is insane. I decided to buy it last night and got the installation going before I headed to bed, about 16 hours ago at this point. how is it still not done??

Is this something rockstar is doing? I don't have the best internet speed ever but it's not this bad. A quick Google search shows this has been an issue since launch.

In the OS, press Options on the game and go to Information and check how far your download is.

Idba

first you download like a couple of gb then the download is gone from the "downloads" and you be able to open the game but you will be greeted with a "instaling x%"

In this case the installing is actually the remaining 45~GB downloading in the background

Mine only took about 10-15 minutes.

Edit: I installed from disc. Didn't notice you were downloading it - maybe check your connection speed?

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Yeah, after the first download is complete the game still has like 80% of data missing, So this "install process" that's happening inside the game is just a download of the remaining 40/45 gbs.

You can close the application and play other game, the process will continue on background.

TomShoe

Banned
Yup, you're downloading over 50 GB worth of content, as well as installing it all onto your HDD. It would have been much faster had you installed it from disc instead.

Physical for life

jimi_dini

I believe its over 50 GB with updates.

h3g9OgT.jpg

You must be confusing downloading with installation. The install is pretty quick, the download is a combination of your internet speed, your actual internet speed, the backbone cabling all across the country, the servers being asked for the update and how many requests that server is getting...in other words, deal with it.

Oh and if its a fresh install of the game, good luck, make a sandwich and chill.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If you get slow PSN download speeds it can be improved. Not guaranteed, but if you consistently experience bad speeds it's worth a try.

as spwolf said earlier, the download speed on PSN is related to the Akamai CDN regional server that you get assigned.

Unfortunately having everyone get the most optimal server assigned from a CDN is not a solved problem.

If you consistently get shitty download speeds it's worth changing your DNS settings. Maybe try Google's Public DNS or Open DNS.

Or run namebench http://code.google.com/p/namebench/ on your PC and improve your PC DNS performance in addition to maybe solving the PS4 issue you're having.
(Quickest is not best, you will have to try because it's important that you get the right CDN regional server assigned.)

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
You must be confusing downloading with installation. The install is pretty quick, the download is a combination of your internet speed, your actual internet speed, the backbone cabling all across the country, the servers being asked for the update and how many requests that server is getting...in other words, deal with it.

Oh and if its a fresh install of the game, good luck, make a sandwich and chill.

In the case of GTA V that's not OP's faulty. The game download/installation process is pretty confusing on PS4.

First you download some gbs using the console standard download manager, then the game seems ready to be played. When you open the game you see the loading screen with the "installing XX%" on the corner.

Then you stay on this screen forever and the % change really slowly. When i bought the game i mistakenly deleted it the first time because i thought my download had corrupted.

zychi

Banned
Its downloading the game + the heists update. Took me 10 mins to get it digitally, then another hour to "install"

Amory

Thanks all. Guess its just my download speed, didn't realize the file size is 50+ gigs.

Frustrating but all I can do is wait.

atomico

FWIW, Xbox One version is weird, too.

After 2GB or so, it pops up as "Ready to play". I guess it means "...the Rockstar logo video", since all you can do in-game is watch a progress bar fill up. You can't play SP or Online until it hits 100%.

I just assumed it was downloading, since the game is like 40GB and my connection's garbage. It took like 20 hours.

Persona7

Banned
My internet is fast as hell and it took overnight and pretty much the entire next day to download completely. PSN is fucking terrible.

Amory

Rough... I keep forgetting the internet speed disparity between countries (or even regions within said countries). You can download in the background, so I suggest playing another game as you wait.

I don't think I can. The download isn't happening in the background OS, it's within the game. That's the worst part, I have to leave my PS4 on and can't use it until this behemoth is finished downloading

I don't think I can. The download isn't happening in the background OS, it's within the game. That's the worst part, I have to leave my PS4 on and can't use it until this behemoth is finished downloading

Ouch. Yeah, it's a huge game and games are huge these days. You may want to consider going physical for some of them if PSN remains slow for you.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It will download the game in the background. You don't need to keep the game running to download.

For all the intransparencies that are caused by the PlayGo download system, it isn't fundamentally broken like that.

Persona7

Banned
Hmmm... define "fast as hell;" I have about 115MBs and was able to download Dragon Age (44GB+) in an afternoon... (South Korea)

200mbps but it is over provisioned slightly higher

PSN is the only game service that doesn't use the majority of my bandwidth.

Oh. I think Destiny did this also, but only for a the last few GBs. It is trying to download the whole game this way? That is pretty PS3 of them...

200mbps but it is over provisioned slightly higher

PSN is the only game service that doesn't use the majority of my bandwidth.

Hmmm... maybe traffic is the issue? Like if you live in a region that has more PS4s then you are all "competing" with each other for PSN bandwidth? Otherwise, even if there was a download cap on PSN then you and I would still be around the same download speed, right?

Past

It's actually downloading the game. Let it download in background instead of booting up the game, it is so much faster.

Amory

It's actually downloading the game. Let it download in background instead of booting up the game, it is so much faster.

Not sure how to do that. I downloaded what was apparently just the client from PSN, opened it as if I were starting up a game, and it started "installing" (downloading) from there. If I try to open another application it wants to close GTA

Jedi2016

For one, this is why I nearly always go physical. Disc install time is minutes, not hours.

Second, I'm not quite sure on what end these problems are coming from.. I've never had issues with long download times even on the full releases I've purchased digitally. It runs at more or less max speed (of my internet) until it's done, I think even Dragon Age only took about an hour, maybe less.

I'm mildly curious to see if download speeds will magically improve once the FCC rules kick in, that ISPs have been quietly throttling downloads from certain high-bandwidth sources. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, to be honest.

For one, this is why I nearly always go physical. Disc install time is minutes, not hours.

Second, I'm not quite sure on what end these problems are coming from.. I've never had issues with long download times even on the full releases I've purchased digitally. It runs at more or less max speed (of my internet) until it's done, I think even Dragon Age only took about an hour, maybe less.

I'm mildly curious to see if download speeds will magically improve once the FCC rules kick in, that ISPs have been quietly throttling downloads from certain high-bandwidth sources. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, to be honest.

About FCC comment: nope

louiedog

The same thing happened to me on PS3, except I gave up after 25 minutes, restarted the install, and the second time it was clearly doing things the first, failed install didn't. That was an annoying bug on a game I was really anticipating.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Not sure how to do that. I downloaded what was apparently just the client from PSN, opened it as if I were starting up a game, and it started "installing" (downloading) from there. If I try to open another application it wants to close GTA

You can close it, it continues to download the game in the background. (click Options > Information to see download progress)

The Lamp

The disc INSTALL is literally stuck at 3% for 20 minutes. Last time we waited 30 minutes and it only got to 14%. WTF??? Rockstar this is stupid.

Condemned

Banned

Took about 20mins for me. Is this a digital copy or disc?

Top Bottom