• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are multiple endings in RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS 2 (mark all spoilers)

Neiteio

Reading between the lines, I wonder if some players (reviewers included) saw the game's true ending.

There are two endings you can get. The one you get depends on a key moment at the end of Claire's Episode 3. It makes perfect sense, story-wise. There is even a prompt when it occurs, but it's easy to mistake this for a QTE.

Here's what you do: At the end of Claire's Episode 3 when the boss has Claire pinned, switch to Moira and crawl forward if you want to be on track for the "good ending." Otherwise, you'll be on track for the "bad ending." Both endings are interesting, but the good ending has an extra boss fight and a much longer epilogue. The good ending also has more memorable quotes in one cutscene than, like, the entirety of REmake. Seriously, it's hype as hell.

If you're on the bad track: All you have to do is replay Claire's Episode 3. You can run past virtually every enemy, if you wish. Then make the other choice at the end. From the sounds of it, you don't have to replay Barry's Episode 3 or Claire's Episode 4. You can simply go straight into Barry's Episode 4 and experience the good ending.

Reading between the lines, I suspect a number of reviewers didn't see the game's true ending and boss fight. Even so, most of the reviews for this game have been quite favorable, and rightly so — it's an excellent game, well-received by old-school and new-school fans alike, as a glance in the OT should tell you.

For many of us, it's come as quite a surprise, since the game looked a bit shit in previews. But the quality is there, and it's a generous package, with content equivalent to a mainline installment, but at half the price. The very few microtransactions in the game are completely optional, and wholly unnecessary.

For me, this is the best RE since RE4 (and I quite enjoyed RE5, RE6, etc). The focus is more on exploring a world than fighting enemies. You still have tight shooting mechanics (albeit lacking in the gibs department) and reliable dodging (now with a dedicated button), but less enemies in favor of more thoughtful progression.

There are a number of simple but enjoyable puzzles, especially Claire's Episode 3. This helps you focus on the setting, a Soviet island that calls to mind Chernobyl imagery. Very detailed and atmospheric, with a real "lived-in" feel. You also have to scour the environment for ammo, since enemies no longer drop any, and you have to carefully manage your inventory space, since even key items now take up a slot.

You have a tag-team dynamic, shuffling items between two pairs of characters, who are asymmetric in their ability. You can switch between them — setting up combos, solving puzzles and uncovering hidden items. Your actions with one group will affect the others. For example, if Claire defeats a certain enemy instead of running away, Barry can skip that boss and gain access to an extra area. In another case, if Claire props open a door, it'll provide a shortcut for Barry when he arrives. There are many tricks like this.

The game also has perhaps the best story in the series, with characters I came to genuinely love. And the story introduces what will likely be the series' new villain going forward. That may seem like a spoiler, but it's all in the details...

At any rate, be sure to play for the good ending. The bad ending is DARK and worth checking out, but the good ending is the true ending, and super-satisfying. Hopefully most people will see it. :)

For me, this is the best RE since RE4 (and I quite enjoyed RE5, RE6, etc). The focus is more on exploring a world than fighting enemies. You still have tight shooting mechanics (albeit lacking in the gibs department) and reliable dodging (now with a dedicated button), but less enemies in favor of more thoughtful progression.

There are a number of simple but enjoyable puzzles, especially Claire's Episode 3. This helps you focus on the setting, a Soviet island that calls to mind Chernobyl imagery. Very detailed and atmospheric, with a real "lived-in" feel. You also have to scour the environment for ammo, since enemies no longer drop any, and you have to carefully manage your inventory space, since even key items now take up a slot.

You have a tag-team dynamic, shuffling items between two pairs of characters, who are asymmetric in their ability. You can switch between them — setting up combos, solving puzzles and uncovering hidden items. Your actions with one group will affect the others. For example, if Claire defeats a certain enemy instead of running away, Barry can skip that boss and gain access to an extra area. In another case, if Claire props open a door, it'll provide a shortcut for Barry when he arrives. There are many tricks like this.

The game also has perhaps the best story in the series, with characters I came to genuinely love. And the story introduces what will likely be the series' new villain going forward. That may seem like a spoiler, but it's all in the details...

Hey, this sounds pretty great. I have to get this soon (now that all episodes released).

They could have set up a situation where the choice to get the good or bad ending made more sense.

In anycase, its good people know this since the OT was getting flooded by questions on this?

Neiteio

They could have set up a situation where the choice to get the good or bad ending made more sense.

In anycase, its good people know this since the OT was getting flooded by questions on this?
Yeah, many people in the OT have expressed confusion about the multiple endings. And new players might not be checking the OT far enough in advance to know. So this thread is to give them a spoiler-free heads up.

Cabal

The fucking thread title is a spoiler, in my opinion.

I'm overly cautious about spoilers most of the time, but I don't think this is all that egregious. There are games that even advertise multiple endings on the box. Unless the title was changed before I saw it, I think it's pretty harmless.

OP thank you for pointing out that you can just replay the one section. I had heard about the multiple ending criteria and knew I missed it. Will replay tonight.

Neiteio

So all those reviews complaining about the ending got the bad ending?
I saw only a handful complaining about the ending they got, but yes, I suspect some (if not all of them) probably got the "bad ending." The good ending has an extra boss fight in an all-new setting. The true final battle. It's an AWESOME
ensemble cast
moment, with tons of great lines. And then you have an epilogue that is much longer than the bad ending.

A very feel-good, "fuck yeah" finale. And I want everyone to experience it, hence this thread. :)

BDrummer1606

Neo Member
I'm only on episode 3 myself, but glad I now know of it. I remember reading a few reviews a few days ago saying they were disappointed with the ending, glad it's actually not that way!

I saw only a handful complaining about the ending they got, but yes, I suspect some (if not all of them) probably got the "bad ending." The good ending has an extra boss fight in an all-new setting. The true final battle. It's an AWESOME ensemble cast moment, with tons of great lines. And then you have an epilogue that is much longer than the bad ending.

A very feel-good, "fuck yeah" finale. And I want everyone to experience it, hence this thread. :)

This post is so full of fucking spioilers thanks bro.

Cabal

Seems that way. But you can't blame them. Even I didn't know that moment in epusode 3 dictated the games ending.

I will agree here. I get it, but basing it all on
one moment after a particularly harrowing section of the game seems like they wanted people to get the worst outcome
in the first play through.

Neiteio

This post is so full of fucking spioilers thanks bro.
Not sure if serious or a parody of the other guy. Mentioning the good ending involves
many characters
is not going to spoil your experience, I assure you. I didn't mention who or what happens. Only that it's much more involving than the bad ending (gameplay-wise, too, featuring an extra boss). :)

EDIT: Spoiler-tagged, to be safe.

burgerdog

I do not want to play the 3rd episode again to get the good ending. How fast do you guys figure I could beat it knowing exactly what to do now?

Neiteio

I do not want to play the 3rd episode again to get the good ending. How fast do you guys figure I could beat it knowing exactly what to do now?
You just replay Claire's portion. You can run from puzzle room to puzzle room ignoring all of the enemies, I think. You'll have to do a bit of ducking and weaving, but you can knock it out quick if you try.

burgerdog

You just replay Claire's portion. You can run from puzzle room to puzzle room ignoring all of the enemies, I think. You'll have to do a bit of ducking and weaving, but you can knock it out quick if you try.

Not too bad, then. I'll do it tonight, I don't want the bad ending to sour my experience with this good game. There's just so much shit to play now with MH4U, Zelda, Type-0, 15 demo, and this. Not to mention that I'm not touching any other game after I get bloodborne for at least a month.

Neiteio

Hot damn, the bad ending is really something. To finish a 10 hour game like that must be pretty depressing.
Yeah, the bad ending is heartbreaking, after everything those characters have gone through together.

The good ending feels SO GOOD, though. :)

I didn't even realize there was an option during that episode 3 part.
I seem to remember a big "PRESS TRIANGLE TO SWITCH TO MOIRA" prompt popping up. Or did I imagine that?

Neiteio

I didn't even realize there was an option during that episode 3 part.
I seem to remember a big "PRESS TRIANGLE TO SWITCH TO MOIRA" prompt popping up. Or did I imagine that?
You did not imagine the prompt, and it's not a spoiler to say it exists.

The game prompts you to switch to Moira. However, you can continue playing as Claire. But since the game prompts you to switch to Moira... People should check out Moira.

And then as Moira, as soon as you try doing something, you'll see she can crawl. Again, not a spoiler to say there's a moment where you crawl. I'm not saying what's happening.

From there, everything falls into place, and you're on track for the good ending. :)

Neiteio

What happens if you don't switch? I mean in episode 3, don't tell me the episode 4 bad ending because I haven't finished it yet.
If you don't switch during that moment of Episode 3, then
Claire shoots Neil herself
, which puts you on track for the bad ending since
Moira never overcomes her fear of guns

As for what the bad ending is, I'll let you see for yourself, as per your request. But know this: it's DARK.

IronLich

I found this out over the weekend because of retail copies being thrown around, so I replayed the specific part on Monday. I have no regrets, because the good ending is the realest RE ending. Everyone do this.

MrPanic

Not sure if serious or a parody of the other guy. Mentioning the good ending involves
many characters
is not going to spoil your experience, I assure you. I didn't mention who or what happens. Only that it's much more involving than the bad ending. :)
I think he's referring to post #12 where you vaguely explain all the events that happen during the good ending, which is a bit too spoilerish unlike the OP.

Neiteio

I think he's referring to post #12 where you vaguely explain all the events that happen during the good ending, which is a bit too spoilerish unlike the OP.
But I don't describe anything. As I said, all I mention is it involves
multiple characters
. I don't say which, or in what fashion. I don't say what happens, or where.

EDIT: Spoiler-tagged, to be safe.

Neiteio

Maybe the bad end was the reason why the ign and kotaku review were so negative.
If you get the bad ending and don't know there's a good ending, it's a really depressing ending that spits in the face of all your struggles, haha. The good ending, on the other hand, makes you feel amazing. That being said, I still really like the bad ending, but only because it's an alternate and not canon.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm genuinely shocked people missed that. I thought it was as clear as day what you had to do in that part and that it would be a
a big moment for Moira in using the gun

MrPanic

But I don't describe anything. As I said, all I mention is it involves
multiple characters
. I don't say which characters, or in what fashion. I don't say what happens, or where.
There's a difference between just saying there's a better ending and telling us why the good ending is better. Sure, you didn't say what happens, but now I know to expect
a extra true final battle, an ensemble cast moment, tons of great lines and an epilogue.
They might not be literal spoilers, but knowing what to expect is just as annoying as a literal spoiler for some people. I appreciate the heads up, but if you kept it at "The good ending is awesome, this is how you get it:" I would've appreciated it a lot more.

Neiteio

explanation
I see. If you spoiler-tag what I said, I'll go back and spoiler-tag it accordingly. That way there's no record of it, and no risk of people being affected like you were.

EDIT: Eh, another guy quoted me, as well. It's still not a spoiler, per say. It just tips people off to it being a BIG ending. I went ahead and tagged what I could.

vg260

Thanks!
f46.gif

Neiteio

I hate it when games have multiple endings. 'Bad' endings normally add nothing to a game. Guess I have okay episode 3 again.
In this case, both endings provide insight into certain things. I'd recommending playing for the good ending, since it's more satisfying and features more gameplay, and then looking up the bad ending on YouTube. Both are worth seeing.

In this case, both endings provide insight into certain things. I'd recommending playing for the good ending, since it's more satisfying and features more gameplay, and then looking up the bad ending on YouTube. Both are worth seeing.

Can I play Claire's ep 3 then go straight to Barry ep 4?

Edit: ah I see you already mentioned that in the OP. ill give it a go. Thanks for the heads up

Neiteio

Can I play Claire's ep 3 then go straight to Barry ep 4?

Edit: ah I see you already mentioned that in the OP. ill give it a go. Thanks for the heads up
Yep, and you can quickly beat Claire's Episode 3 if you already know the puzzle solutions and if you just book it, running straight from puzzle room to puzzle room while ignoring (and dodging) the enemies in-between. :)

RawNuts

Apparently I got the "good" ending without being aware of it, though it didn't feel all that satisfying. It was truly a RE-style ending at least.

Though the "
fuck it right in the ass
" line was pretty good.

ArjanN

I thought it was pretty obvious honestly, they already telegraphed the whole
Moira gun situation
in the previous episodes pretty hard.

Neiteio

Seriously such a good game. By the time I'm done with it, I'll probably have logged more than 200 hours, according to RE.net. And I've enjoyed every second.

The fact this came immediately after Majora's Mask 3D, and right before Bloodborne, is making this one of the best stretches of gaming in recent memory.

Lucent

Seriously such a good game. By the time I'm done with it, I'll probably have logged more than 200 hours, according to RE.net. And I've enjoyed every second.

The fact this came immediately after Majora's Mask 3D, and right before Bloodborne, is making this one of the best stretches of gaming in recent memory.

Yeah I was so ready to write this game off based on the previews like "going back to the roots of survival horror huh? Looks like action-packed guns ablazin pew pew kill all the monsters to me!" But it def isn't that. It's really good. I feel like if they keep this up I'll be back to looking forward to RE games again.

Top Bottom