• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supercell revenues nears $2bn for 2014

-SD-

Banned
http://www.develop-online.net/news/supercell-revenues-nears-2bn-for-2014/0204731
Develop said:
The full-year figure is almost triple the amount made in 2013, which was reported as $570m according to the Wall Street Journal.

Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation for 2014 came in at $565m – more than double the $267m seen in 2013.

Good for them. I just hope they won't start building theme parks and such, as Rovio did. But, then again Supercell seems to be smarter than Rovio.

EDIT: Supercell is a Finnish mobile game company. They have made 3 games, so far: Hay Day, Clash of Clans and Boom Beach.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
9226597327_735e3f02ce_o.gif

RIP gaming. Every publisher on the planet is looking at these numbers and licking their chops.

Holy crap. Well deserved. I love Clash of Clans.

16090682937_1d5587f287_o.gif

~~Hasan~~

i am very addicted to this game. I play it all the time @ work. I spent 20$ on it.

this is really a very well made f2p game. they deserve it.

already level 91 Town Hall level 10.

is there a Neogaf clan ?

I would love to join one if there are decent players in it

xehanort

Wow, all my friends play CoC. Never liked it but good for them. Excited for what Nintendo has to offer though! Come sooner fall!

mnannola

This game was boring as shit when I last tried it ( ~6 months ago)

What the hell is the appeal? I just cannot stand the wait unless you pay mechanic. Feel like I am missing something that everyone else must see.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Damn.

That is almost Nintendo's full-year software revenue of last year.

Sinatar

Are you serious?

Clash of clans is the epitome of everything wrong with the gaming industry. It is the harbinger of it's doom.

Remember all the shit people gave Dungeon Keeper on iOS last year? It was just a Clash of Clans clone, every offense that game committed CoC does 10 fold. It's a nightmare made manifest, evil incarnate. It's grotesque and offensive and represents all the darkest elements of the hobby we love.

Yes. I'm serious.

Bsigg12

Clash of clans is the epitome of everything wrong with the gaming industry. It is the harbinger of it's doom.

Remember all the shit people gave Dungeon Keeper on iOS last year? It was just a Clash of Clans clone, every offense that game committed CoC does 10 fold. It's a nightmare made manifest, evil incarnate. It's grotesque and offensive and represents all the darkest elements of the hobby we love.

Yes. I'm serious.

Game of War is a far worse offender of everything CoC does.

Sinatar

Game of War is a far worse offender of everything CoC does.

Exactly. CoC set the stage, everyone has seen it's success and are now going to try and push the envelope. If people are willing to pay for the gross microtransactions in CoC, then surely they will pay for more and more terrible business models. It's all downhill from here.

I wonder how long they'll last before the inevitable crash.

Crash of Clans? Bomba Beach?

As long as they don't mess up, good for them. I also wonder: would it make sense for a f2p developer to put money into normal game development? Like Gungho with Puzzles and Dragons and the Puzzle and Dragons Z? Or even a different property as a way to hedge risk?

Also, completely off topic: Anyone have any idea how Destiny of Spirits is doing or can point me some place that might? Tried googling but couldn't find much. I wonder why Sony and Q haven't ported that game to Android and iOS.

Nyoro SF

Yes. I'm serious.

I'm not surprised to hear this at all.

It is, after all, the most optimal strategy; the game comes second, revenue first. All you have to do is seize initial hype via extreme marketing and let the rest play out.

Viper3

This game was boring as shit when I last tried it ( ~6 months ago)

What the hell is the appeal? I just cannot stand the wait unless you pay mechanic. Feel like I am missing something that everyone else must see.

Maybe you just aren't a sucker for shitty skinner box video game design.

Lucumo

Games like this are essentially just browser games made for mobile, with added micro transactions.
Well, I hate these games but since GungHo/Softbank owns them, I'm somewhat ok with it.

Yes. I'm serious.

No it´s not. It´s very fun, strategic and an amazing game if you have a great clan to chat with. It´s nothing like Dungeon Keeper, and Supercell always make it harvesting, and attacking easier on holidays.

Somnid

They seem to have mild differentiation between products. Not enough that I think they are absolutely going to escape the inevitable rise and fall of mechanics and genres to have a long-term sustainable business but enough that I don't expect them to quickly crash if they do have a downturn.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Yes. I'm serious.

Blame EA for Dungeon Keeper, not Supercell.

Sinatar

No it´s not. It´s very fun, strategic and an amazing game if you have a great clan to chat with. It´s nothing like Dungeon Keeper, and Supercell always make it harvesting, and attacking easier on holidays.

I'm sorry but what? In what ways exactly do you think they differ?

Ocho

I was one of the blind haters of this game until I finally tried it.

It turned out to be a pretty fun game. Game is visually appealing, fun to play, and the multiplayer aspect of it (clans, wars, raiding) is great and can requiere pretty deep strategy. Above all, it can be played in quick bursts (if you wish so you can also go play 'hardcore').

I've spent some money on it, yes. Equivalent to a WoW subscription per month. Partly because I'm lazy and partly because I want to the support the developer.

There is absolutely no need to pay to play, though. I think that is why I have no issue with their business tactics.

Vomiaouaf

Balance.

If hundreds of millions of people download a game and most stick around because they enjoy it, they're probably doing something entertaining enough. Time to let go of your black & white prejudices against free to play already.

I'm part of the problem =/. I've probably spent around $200 on gems in the 15 months i've been playing the game.

So addicting....

Don't understand the hate either.

First of all, you're not obligated to buy stuff with real money. I haven't yet, although it's tempting at times. Sure, it's frustrating to wait days for an upgrade or to unlock something, but if you do other stuff and have an active life, it's really not that bad.

Literally almost everyone plays it. So the chance of getting in a clan with people you know is huge and makes the game much more fun. Might even meet new people. I did through acquaintances and friends.

That last point makes the game much more fun. The social aspect of the game through the chat or outside in real life is what does it for me. And then you have the fun wars of course and addicting looting of other bases trying to get a big score.

It's like the perfect f2p game they created. Kudos to them.

They differ plenty. Harvesting and upgrading is much easier and more consumer friendly in Clash than Dungeon Keeper. I have not spent a penny on upgrading, although i spent money on buying builders to reward the developers for such a very enjoyable game. I spent $15 in a year and a half of playing, and i play everyday.

Don't understand the hate either.

First of all, you're not obligated to buy stuff with real money. I haven't yet, although it's tempting at times. Sure, it's frustrating to wait days for an upgrade or to unlock something, but if you do other stuff and have an active life, it's really not that bad.

Literally almost everyone plays it. So the chance of getting in a clan with people you know is huge and makes the game much more fun. Might even meet new people. I did through acquaintances and friends.

That last point makes the game much more fun. The social aspect of the game through the chat or outside in real life is what does it for me. And then you have the fun wars of course and addicting looting of other bases trying to get a big score.

It's like the perfect f2p game they created. Kudos to them.

I play with randoms, and i found randoms that are very cool individuals and very fun to hang around. I have been with the same clan for almost a year and a half. They are really great, and we have plenty of fun chatting.

Sinatar

They differ plenty. Harvesting and upgrading is much easier and more consumer friendly in Clash than Dungeon Keeper. I have not spent a penny on upgrading, although i spent money on buying builders to reward the developers for such a very enjoyable game. I spent $15 in a year and a half of playing, and i play everyday.

Harvesting and upgrading are practically identical. You build your mines, you tap the icons when they pop up to collect your shit. Buildings upgrade via those resources and are locked behind every increasing time walls that you can pay your way through.

They don't differ at all in those areas.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Yes. I'm serious.

Honestly, I've played these games, and it's pretty rare where you HAVE to spend a ton of money on these games. I bet 95% of players spend $25 or less. It's that 5% that spend hundreds/thousands of dollars. You need to treat these games for what they are - something you play in short bursts, not something you sit down with and play for 3 hours at a time.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
They definitely struck gold, but I hate the whole timer-based waiting game model in general.

The game is obviously tuned to be harder and harder for you to enjoy the game as time goes on, and tries to bait you into spending money. All the game's mechanics are built around this, and it shows. It tries to make you pay or wait to keep playing because you've come so far, and not because it's actually fun in itself. It's bullshit.

I play with randoms, and i found randoms that are very cool individuals and very fun to hang around. I have been with the same clan for almost a year and a half. They are really great, and we have plenty of fun chatting.

Yup there you go. Those kind of people and clans make the game so much more fun.

Usobuko

Banned
The 1.5 b for majority stake @ 3 billions valuation is a steal.

Considering their next game boom beach is going to be a massive hit comparative to their previous 2 titles.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Honestly, I've played these games, and it's pretty rare where you HAVE to spend a ton of money on these games. I bet 95% of players spend $25 or less. It's that 5% that spend hundreds/thousands of dollars. You need to treat these games for what they are - something you play in short bursts, not something you sit down with and play for 3 hours at a time.

Yes, I have Hay Day on my phone by SuperCell, and that's exactly how I play it. When I'm stuck somewhere, have nothing else to do, nothing really interesting to read on Neogaf, so I'll open Hay Day, collect the stuff that I scheduled to make, fill some orders, check on what friends need and close it.

It fits the, I have 5 minutes to fill, niche perfectly. I could open Dragon Quest IV and play for 5 minutes, but it does not work that well for very short bursts of time. (Although, right now Persona Q is filling that short time burst quite well, since the mapping makes it easy to pickup and put down.)

animax

This is to gaming what Big Bang Theory is to television, what Transformers is to film, what One Direction is to music - a mockery of the medium, an abomination that is inexplicably popular, that generates a lot of revenue and thus forces others to flock to the same formula.

Harvesting and upgrading are practically identical. You build your mines, you tap the icons when they pop up to collect your shit. Buildings upgrade via those resources and are locked behind every increasing time walls that you can pay your way through.

They don't differ at all in those areas.
Supercell gives gems through gem boxes and cutting trees, trimming bushes. I have 684 gems from that, and i did not spend a penny. And they make offers to get more resources by lowering boost to one gem, and lowering the time it takes to make troops.

I spent $15 in a year and a half.

This is to gaming what Big Bang Theory is to television, what Transformers is to film, what One Direction is to music - a mockery of the medium, an abomination that is inexplicably popular, that generates a lot of revenue and thus forces others to flock to the same formula.
I couldn't possibly agree more.

BBT, Transformers and Clash are very entertaining, and accommodates the medium by providing alternatives to the usual scene. And they don´t force anyone to do anything.

Ocho

Why do you guys think the game is so popular? Because they force us to play? No, the game is fun and great for mobile. Simple as that.

Top Bottom