• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIE Fighter: A Short 80's Anime Style Fan Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

mGbdcp5.jpg

E8ZPZhc.gif

What if there was an Empire-focussed short Star Wars animation, drawn with the crazy detail and shading of classic 80s anime that's all but vanished from Japan nowadays?

Well, I tried my best. Apologies in advance for not living up to Venus Wars standards.
Drawn and animated by yours truly over 4 years' worth of weekends, with music by the living guitar solo Zak Rahman and sound design by up and coming audio technician Joseph Leyva. Fans of Lucasarts' seminal 1994 TIE Fighter game may notice a few familiar sights and sounds. That “incoming missile” noise gives me horrible flashbacks to this day...

Basically animated by one guy. Holy crap.

^^^^

Oh is that the same guy? I always hated that picture lol. Even if I agree with the sentiment that anime shading overall seems to have decreased in quality.

ElTopo

Banned
I miss that classic look of Anime. I want that to come back. Up until the mid to late 90's Anime maintained this unique use of color and now it's all digital and looks the same.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Fantastic. It makes me so happy to see great technical 2D animation. We're running so short of people talented enough to do it well.

EDIT: Oh it's that guy. Well I think he misses the point a bit with that infograph, and this short kind of exacerbates that, but it's still incredible regardless.

MJPIA

That's some really good work there.
I remember seeing a several minute clip from this a couple months ago.
Didn't the guy who did this get offered a job at some studio or am I thinking of someone else?

McNum

Whoa... That's a fan animation?!

That was awesome. Seriously awesome. I wish that was an official series, just so there would be more of it.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I remember that two min demo he put out a while back. It looks really nice, and the mechanical designs/animation look really good, but his character animation looks really janky; they look almost rotoscoped and just really awkward when he has to do full body stuff like the officer on the bridge of the star destroyers.

I swear I saw Yazan Gable in there.

That short was good.I love that style of shading in animation. It's most likely not profitable nowadays but I'd love to see it return.

Enron

Banned
hahaha. even has a launch startup sequence taken straight out of the Dragonar OP. This is kinda cool

Edit: lol, just saw Yazan. VIOLATE

Mupod

Holy fuck that was awesome. And now I'm sad that there will never be a full TIE Fighter anime...at least I gave up on getting another game a long time ago.

Disney should can all their bullshit plans, hire this guy, and let him do the lord's work. Best stars wars related thing I've seen since Empire.

Qasiel

Very nice! Anyone else think it's high time for an Empire-based spin on the series? They have all the coolest toys...

adj_noun

Very nice! Anyone else think it's high time for an Empire-based spin on the series? They have all the coolest toys...

If the new eternal batch of Star Wars films gives us even one Empire centric flick, I can die happy.*

*As long as the lead doesn't become a Rebel at the end

Otaking has come a long way since this.

i0j5XpMmQkvC4.jpg

While there is some truth to this statement, it did also cost a lot of additional money back then to add multiple layers of shadows to celluloid. Each shadow would requite its own animation cell that would overlap on top of each other. All those cells of animation would drive up cost. But these days it is irrelevant with ink and paint being done digitally.

Pretty neat animation though.

Metalmarc

Well that was damn awesome and i'm not even a fan of anime, I would watch a whole series or film of that.

Best Star wars fan film around.

andymcc

Banned
While there is some truth to this statement, it did also cost a lot of additional money back then to add multiple layers of shadows to celluloid. Each shadow would requite its own animation cell that would overlap on top of each other. All those cells of animation would drive up cost. But these days it is irrelevant with ink and paint being done digitally.

Pretty neat animation though.

he's comparing high quality, expensive-to-produce OAVs to television series lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
That was incredible. Wish it did have better music though, I think I've heard better types of what they're trying to go for. But man, that was great.

Pretty impressive. Two issues I have with it, one minor one major.

1. Based on the craft shown, I assume this is around the time of Return of the Jedi (there are TIE Interceptors and Bombers), if that's the case, where the fuck are the A- and B-wings on the Rebel side? Even if you ignore the EU (where A-Wings were in use as early as the Battle of Yavin) they were still used around this same time.

2. The music. Oh good God, why does "Star Wars" mean "late 80's hair metal/mid 90s JRPG soundtrack music" to these people? Sorry but the only music that should accompany anything Star Wars EVER needs to be orchestral. It just really looked out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom