• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Performance Analysis: Dark Souls 2 The Scholar of the First Sin (PS4 vs. XB1)

chadskin

As a starting point, both consoles get the basics right. There are no drawbacks on the resolution front: this is a true 1920x1080 game on PS4, and a pixel count reveals it's the very same situation on Xbox One, with both backed by FXAA anti-aliasing. It's an interesting result given the console's trend of adopting lower native resolutions than PS4 to secure a smooth frame-rate, or to achieve parity in graphical features. However, Dark Souls 2's lock at 1080p plants it in the upper echelons of multi-format releases so far, at least in terms of visuals.
Xbox One pays a persistent price for matching the PS4's visual standard. Both formats target 60fps and engage v-sync at all times, but Microsoft's platform suffers the greater drops between the two in each scene of our frame-rate analysis. The Forest of Fallen Giants area is a good example, where a barrage of enemies causes a read-out of between 40-50fps on Xbox One, while PS4 operates within the 50-60fps range. Even while uncontested beneath the giant, arching trees of Things Betwixt, a regular margin of 10fps exists between the two - PS4 operating at a near perfect 60fps, while Xbox stutters along at 50fps.

Unfortunately this has the knock-on effect of making combat sluggish on Xbox One. In one example, an encounter with The Last Giant boss gives us our lowest drop, a record tumble to 36fps cued by a batch of floating souls. The PS4 goes entirely unruffled by the effect here, and it's fair to say the smoother controller response makes it easier to tackle a lingering knight after this boss battle's finished. Sony's machine does not produce a perfect 60fps of course, but it is a consistently better performer - and in a game that demands pinpoint timing for rolls and ripostes, the smoother frame-rate can make a difference.

Conclusion:
From Software has described the Dark Souls 2 engine in terms of its viability for this generation, but it's now clear that PS4 hands in results closest to the developer's intention. Within the console bracket, it's no doubt the best version to date, while Xbox One claims second place in the running owing to its less stable frame-rate. By bullishly matching Sony's platform point-for-point across all graphical settings, Xbox One places Dark Souls 2's visual presentation above its playability to a certain extent. However, compared to the 20-30fps performance of last-gen releases it 's still a fulsome upgrade for owners of Microsoft's console.

More: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-dark-souls-2-performance-analysis

----------------
Update re: Xbox One 36fps that occurred while an Achievement Unlocked notification popped up at the same time:
I emailed Digital Foundry concerning the Achievement Unlock being the cause for the slowdown. I got a very quick response from Tom Morgan (the author of the DF piece)

Thomas Morgan said:
I used the same Xbox One profile as before to avoid the Achievement Unlocked prompt of my first run - as you rightly suggest - and started up a new save so I could re-face The Last Giant. Took a bit of a speed-run but I got there fast enough!

The 36fps drop doesn't seem to be related to that Achievement prompt, sadly. The second time around I get a minimum fps reading of 32fps just as the souls start flying across - so essentially in the same ballpark as what we had before.

This is with patch 1.01 installed as well. Unfortunately the game updated just after our article went up, which is based on 1.00. But based on tests so far it's fair to say this patch doesn't affect Xbox One performance in this section.

That "bokeh" depth of field is, at my first glance, the same depth of field option available on the default PC release. Did the last gen version have no DOF or just plain gaussian?

EDIT: IMO, the PC comparison article should perhaps include Durante's mod.

BPoole

Looks like both are fairly solid ports. I'm interested in hearing impressions from players that have always played the Souls games in 30fps.

I heard the 60fps durability glitch is still on the PC version. Does the consoles have it too? Anyone who plays on newgen and played on oldgen that can confirm?

Still baffled how this is not a locked 60 on PS4 after the amazing PC version that runs well even on modest hardware. Does this update come with significant graphics updates?

Still a huge improvement over last gen obviously. Xbone framerate is pretty bad though.

Derpcrawler

Worst case scenario is 36FPS? For people who endured last gen versions this would be amazing, I remember playing DS1 and 2 on Xbox 360, with places like Blighttown dropping to 10-15FPS.

Still baffled how this is not a locked 60 on PS4 after the amazing PC version that runs well even on modest hardware. Does this update come with significant graphics updates?

Hard to tell since DF haven't done a direct comparison with the last PC release in this article. But I am reinstalling the game as I type this and am looking to make the exact same screens they have.

bombshell

No doubt PS4 is the best version here with those framerate differences. They should probably have dropped the Xbox One version to 900p.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That "bokeh" depth of field is, at my first glance, the same depth of field option available on the default PC release. Did the last gen version have no DOF or just plain gaussian?

EDIT: IMO, the PC comparison article should perhaps include Durante's mod.
Durante didn't touch DS2, he was quite pleased by the great port job iirc :p

Ugh can't get locked 60 on either.. This is a better than average remaster but not a good one.

Maybe I'll just get the upgrade on PC for the dlc then.

Kudo

I think the Scholar of the First Sin has some improved textures, kind of remember seeing some armors looking different.
Both versions looks solid.

Looks like From did pretty well for themselves with these ports. Now, send those guys over to Bloodborne, stat!

Bloodborne is already on PS4.

Ridley327

I think the Scholar of the First Sin has some improved textures, kind of remember seeing some armors looking different.
Both versions looks solid.

Bloodborne is already on PS4.
It's a reference to the various tech issues that game has.

bombshell

Worst case scenario is 36FPS? For people who endured last gen versions this would be amazing, I remember playing DS1 and 2 on Xbox 360, with places like Blighttown dropping to 10-15FPS.

Well, given the choice I'll choose 48fps as the minimum over 36fps.

wiPb6so.png

Percy

Banned
Problems with the console versions it seems, but it sounds like the XB1 version especially really sucks in comparison to the PS4 one.

Seanspeed

Banned
The Ge stands for Generic. It wasn't specifically made for Dark Souls 2
He even had a couple articles covering how to 'mod' the graphics in the game. It is completely false to say he didn't touch DS2.

He was happy with the port's quality because it was a huge step up from the 360/PS3 versions and it ran fantastically well. That doesn't mean there wasn't room for improvement.

Kudo

It's a reference to the various tech issues that game has.

Hopefully they'll get those fixed, only issue I've had so far is really long wait times in Chalice summoning..

Looks like both are fairly solid ports. I'm interested in hearing impressions from players that have always played the Souls games in 30fps.

No one posted impressions when they played the PC version after PS3/XB360? I personally didn't "feel" much difference in the FPS other than weapons broke faster, and I ran it 2560x1440 on PC so it looked LOT cleaner, but preferred the experience on PS3 because I encountered one too many cheater invading me on PC, of course I played it on PS3 first so that might be the cause too.

ShamePain

Banned
Clearly they haven't implemented DX12 otherwise it would 4k@60 locked, poor ps4 couldn't keep up, so they've had to gimp xbone version.

Can someone knowledgeable explain how Xbox One has become more like PS3 last gen and PS4 more like Xbox 360 last gen in terms of performance with most games, is it just because of weaker hardware? Is that because the Xbox One port here is 1080p on weaker hardware when usually the games have lower resolutions to account for that? Didn't I hear the Witcher 3 producer say Xbox One is easier to program for cause it got some Direct X thing so more like a PC? Otherwise I don't hear developers touting multiplatform differences in favour of Xbox One.

le.phat

He did though. He implemented a new SSAO, a new Bokeh, a new post processing suite, and a very impressive HDR bloom into GeDoSaTo specifically for DaS2. THings which only work for that game.

xb1 performance is shittown.

If the worst parts are still 36FPS then it's far from blight shitdown.

Gandalf

Will dive into the PS4 version after I'm done with Bloodborne. I'm willing to give it another try. I did complete it on PS3, but skipped the DLC, and I've heard great things. Still a very good game, even if it doesn't match Demons and Dark 1.

Never had much issue with the durability bug on PC. Only funny thing was using Old Whip. You could break it in a few swings. But it was so OP in PvP that it actually made it balanced.

No one posted impressions when they played the PC version after PS3/XB360? I personally didn't "feel" much difference in the FPS other than weapons broke faster, and I ran it 2560x1440 on PC so it looked LOT cleaner, but preferred the experience on PS3 because I encountered one too many cheater invading me on PC, of course I played it on PS3 first so that might be the cause too.

That is crazy. You did not notice going from sub 30 to 60?

Kezen

Banned
Framerate sometimes dips below 60 on my system for some inexplicable reason.
4770k (stock), GTX 970.
347.88 drivers.

Dunkley

Well, given the choice I'll choose 48fps as the minimum over 36fps.

wiPb6so.png

Yeah I'm glad you like your console so much that you need to pointlessly defend how it runs the game better under stress than the other console does,

while all that gaffer was saying is that even the Xbone version runs DkS2 better under stress than last gen did at best.

nib95

Banned

Whilst true, drops from 30fps to 20fps are going to be just as noticeable as drops from 60fps to 34fps. Obviously you'll still have better input response with the latter, which is a big advantage, but in terms of the aesthetic experience, you're going to feel a massive difference with the drop all the same.

Honestly, I think they should have just dropped the Xbox One version to 900p. Not sure why they decided to keep it 1080p.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
He even had a couple articles covering how to 'mod' the graphics in the game. It is completely false to say he didn't touch DS2.

He was happy with the port's quality because it was a huge step up from the 360/PS3 versions and it ran fantastically well. That doesn't mean there wasn't room for improvement.
Oh. That's news to me.

pixlexic

Banned
Going to love to see people who praise bloodborne harp on the frame dips That don't go below it's highest framerate.

Kudo

Never had much issue with the durability bug on PC. Only funny thing was using Old Whip. You could break it in a few swings. But it was so OP in PvP that it actually made it balanced.

That is crazy. You did not notice going from sub 30 to 60?

I have very bad eyes and only notice fps when I compare them next to each other or it dips like crazy.
I did notice though when PS3 version started loading new areas it probably dipped to like 10fps and PC version has none of those problems, also loading times are better, even when running 2560x1440. Admittedly never checked my FPS on PC but I think it was pretty stable around 60, GTX 670 and i5-750@ 4Ghz.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
pixlexic said:
Fxaa and neither are constant 60 fps. oh well.
If DF is to be believed on 1.5% of dropped frames for PS4 - that's a figure that you'd probably get in vast majority of "stable" 60fps games in last 15 years, regardless of the platform.

Also PS4 drops in the video look isolated to scenes with lots of enemies on screen, so it's likely CPU bound anyhow (which may well be the case for most remasters).

Percy

Banned
Going to love to see people who praise bloodborne harp on the frame dips That don't go below it's highest framerate.

Bloodborne is a brand new 30fps built game and DS2: SotFS is a 60fps up port of a last gen game so this is a really dumb comparison to draw. This must be upsetting for you.

Top Bottom