• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hexadrive will also be developing Final Fantasy XV

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201504/06075460.html

Apparently, Hexadrive will be assisting with the development of FFXV.

Also:
They worked on that E3 2013 battle trailer as well.

Edit:

From the Famitsu interview, provided by @VSXIII:
• Tabata reveals that, even before Type-0 HD, members of Hexadrive had already been cooperating with Square Enix on a RPG for next generation consoles. This title turned out to be FINAL FANTASY XV.
• Timing-wise, Hexadrive have been involved since XV's development still operated on the Ebony engine (before integration with the Luminous Studio engine was completed). More specifically, the start of this collaboration would have been a little while before the E3 2013 reveal as XV (from the former name Versus XIII).
• Hexadrive's knowledge of HD development gave Tabata the confidence to entrust them with Type-0.
• Long story short, Tabata makes it sound as though Hexadrive largely taught SE how to develop HD games (this is an interview where the Hexadrive CEO is present, so I don't think it sounds more important than it actually is). The original KH-style game play for Final Fantasy Versus XIII turned out to be difficult to achieve, so the game's form has changed.
• Naora and Tabata reveal that SE and members of Hexadrive went to an actual cave in Chiba Prefecture (next to Tokyo), collected data, and used them as reference for creating the cave in Episode Duscae.
• Matsushita says that Type-0 HD was a very easy collaboration with Square Enix. SE worked largely on the 3D graphics (including character models in cutscenes, I presume), and Hexadrive worked mostly on 2D graphics (UI, icons, making the forests on the world map look fuller, etc.), and the lip sync.

Source: http://www.mognetcentral.com/threads/final-fantasy-xv-general-news-thread.3288/page-35#post-21900

Dark_castle

What were they in charge of? I assume programming? They don't seem to have any history in developing game, just remastering them.

Dark_castle

Please, don't have the same terrible motion blur as Type-0 haha.... Please...

Now you're freaking me out. The motion blur in Type-0 HD rendered the game unplayable to me. Had to trade it afterwards. But to be fair, I wasn't a huge fan of what I've played in the original version.

Philippo

Cool, between this announcement and all the hirings they've been doing recently for this game (especially in the Asian region), i'm starting to believe a Spring 2016 could be a thing.

Ew.. Type-0 looks pretty horrible...

Type-0's problems seem to stem from poor direction, rather than HexaDrive's ability. Should have been released as a more uniform 40 USD title. Or almost completely graphically rehauled (which, TBH, probably shouldn't have been outside the realm of possibilities).

They also made 3rd Birthday, which, while despite having the worst story ever told, was a good game.

Jubern

I want to take that as a confirmation the game will get top grade IQ: I'm not too worried anymore about the game hitting 1080p/30 fps with maybe some sugarcoating.

I'm not too worried about what happened with Type-0, I see that less as Hexadrive's fault as Square-Enix's - who put a very minimal effort.

Audette

Now you're freaking me out. The motion blur in Type-0 HD rendered the game unplayable to me. Had to trade it afterwards. But to be fair, I wasn't a huge fan of what I've played in the original version.

I my self am freaked out, I don't want somebody to blur FFXV to oblivion like type-0 on artistic merits.

Stupid camera and blur is just killing type zero for me....keep wishing for a ptach with blur toggle option, stick sensitivity or something....

virtualS

Fantastic news if their track record is anything to go by

One of the few non Sony devs to take a look at how the PS3 was designed and actually give a shit.

Geez, Square-Enix already have them working on that next-gen remaster, huh?

jk :p

Good to know there are competent devs working on this. I'm excited. :)

Asd202

It's probably not the only studio "helping out".

Cool, between this announcement and all the hirings they've been doing recently for this game (especially in the Asian region), i'm starting to believe a Spring 2016 could be a thing.

I see it as there really want the game out in 2016. Spring of 2016 seems like a rush job to me from what we've seen from the demo.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hexadrive is one of the most technically talented teams in the country. Their work has been absolutely stellar.

Osaka pride! Woo!

Circinus

Good, they seem like a very talented group of developers.

The fact that they managed to get Okami HD running natively at 4K on PS3 is very impressive in my humble opinion.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I see it as there really want the game out in 2016. Spring of 2016 seems like a rush job to me from what we've seen from the demo.

Demo are usually more stable gameplay segments prepared from usually much older code than what you are working on at the moment. Bleeding edge code might have unexpected issues which still need to be passed through a nice cycle of Dev work and QA. Features and rendering quality wise the game is likely a step or two ahead of what you see in the demo.

After this long of a wait rushing it out would be the absolute worst thing they could do. Hell they just made some nice profit off a demo of it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Hexadrive cementing their role as Japan's "fixers" in HD development. Seem like they have a monopoly on understanding how to reach resolution goals and optimise.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
So what are SE's internal studios actually doing these days?

Making FFXV, expanding XIV, KH3 and who knows what other projects. SE's just more open about outsourcing these days and talking about who they're outsourcing work to. It's impossible to make an AAA game fully internally now.

duckroll

This doesn't surprise me, but it's great that Hexadrive gets to build their portfolio even more. Seems like FFXV has tons of studios collaborating with it around the world though, so Hexadrive is just one of them, but probably the closest one to Square Enix in terms of geographic location and having a close relationship with Tabata from prior projects (The 3rd Birthday, Type-0 HD).

What were they in charge of? I assume programming? They don't seem to have any history in developing game, just remastering them.

They're assisting with both technical and pre-production work. Hexadrive is mostly made up of programmers who used to work at Capcom, they're very good at what they do. In the case of FFXV, they've also been assisting with stuff like prototyping for the old E3 2013 demo, and location hunting with Square Enix staff for reference material to create the cave dungeon in the demo

TheTux

Didn't Tabata say that they were collaborating with Hexadrive few months ago?

I'm sure I already knew this.

NateDog

This is good to hear, Square did say a few years ago that they would begin to outsource more (as in more of the work) of their future titles to other studios and Hexadrive are pretty good from what we've seen of them. I'm going to presume that they might have been working with them ever since Versus XIII became XV, chances are they've assisted in the game being moved over to next-gen platforms.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Internally it does.

http://hexadrive.sblo.jp/article/59698038.html#more

Render with internal resolution of 3860x2160

IIRC, they're using 4xMSAA at 1080p, which gives them an internal geometry buffer (or something like that, just woke up ahah) at 3840x2160 but not everything it's rendered at 4k. (Durante said the same thing IIRC, can't find the post though)

bec10a1a45a7912b30395ac600d449cc.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
IIRC, they're using 4xMSAA at 1080p, which gives them an internal geometry buffer (or something like that, just woke up ahah) at 3840x2160 but not everything it's rendered at 4k. (Durante said the same thing IIRC, can't find the post though)

bec10a1a45a7912b30395ac600d449cc.jpg
Hmm, the text from their website notes that they render internally at 2160p. I'd like to see more details on this.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Hmm, the text from their website notes that they render internally at 2160p. I'd like to see more details on this.

They also mention 4xMSAA

ちなみにSD解像度480pではPS3ハードウェア4xMSAAを超える高品位な32xアンチエイリアシング、720p表示では8xアンチエイリアシングをヘキサドライブ独自で実装したため、フルHDテレビを持っていない方にも高画質化の恩恵があります。

and, if my interpretation of what google is telling it's decent, they are saying that even if you don't have a HDTV you will have a better image quality on and SDTV because 1080p and 4xMSAA will scale down to 720p or 480p adding real downsampling to the image.

But if they are actually rendering at 4k with 4xMSAA on top of that on a PS3, my hat's off to them. I find it difficult to believe though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They also mention 4xMSAA

and, if my interpretation of what google is telling it's decent, they are saying that even if you don't have a HDTV you will have a better image quality on and SDTV because 1080p and 4xMSAA will scale down to 720p or 480p adding real downsampling to the image.

But if they are actually rendering at 4k with 4xMSAA on top of that on a PS3, my hat's off to them. I find it difficult to believe though.
That's an aside noting that image quality will still be great on lower resolution displays but the text above notes that they use AA and 16x AF while internally rendering at 2160p. I'm basing that on my own reading as opposed to Google so it could still be off.

Top Bottom