• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just worked a 15 1/2 hour shift and now feel dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats an insane number and your body can't sustain it. Every study that looks at doctors that pull those kinds of shifts show they make way more mistakes towards the end of it.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Are you a support manager now?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Way too much work to do at work its too overwhelming. How do people manage this on a daily basis?

My SO works 13-14 hours at the hospital at a time. She def is dead after her night stretch.

Just make sure you sleep ASAP. Don't try and do other shit.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I've worked upwards to 18 hours (eating at the desk too). Sometimes its needed, and yes sometimes I am dead in the water, but someone's gotta do it. If the pay is good, if the prospects are as good, then of course.

Just don't get used to it, I've taken a small break from those all-day workfests but when I did them 6 days a week I was destroying myself, now I slowed down a bit because it was affecting me physically and mentally.

chiliboy

images.jpg

Ventara

I had a coworker who worked 18 hours and another 12 hours 6 hours later. And she lived 1.5 hours away. What's worst, though is that she wasn't even paid overtime.

The worst thing is...I still didn't finish my projects because again the store seems fit to not give me any help. Well, when I come back tomorrow they're going to ask "why did you work so long?", and I'll tell them straight up that they can not reasonably expect a person to get that much work done in that little time.

Are you a support manager now?

Nope.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The best part is when you can't even sleep because your brain is overstimulated and you have minor hallucinations that you're still at work while trying to fall asleep.

Mitch

Banned
I spent a week in Georgia working at a marble mining plant, upgrading their equipment. After we worked for 14+ hours a day for the entire week, and ended up pulling an all nighter at the airport, I didn't complain once.

Why? Because that beautiful OT pay, and the fact that we did a good damn job.

terrisus

I spent a week in Georgia working at a marble mining plant, upgrading their equipment. After we worked for 14+ hours a day for the entire week, and ended up pulling an all nighter at the airport, I didn't complain once.

Why? Because that beautiful OT pay, and the fact that we did a good damn job.

Should've come to Massachusetts.

Time and a half on Sundays.

bionic77

Way too much work to do at work its too overwhelming. How do people manage this on a daily basis?
I have worked more hours than that in a single day but that is not a normal routine for me nor is that sustainable or something you could do everyday for an extended period of time.

You would not have any life outside of work unless you decided to give up sleeping and eating altogether.

And your only reward will be the expectation that you will keep doing it now you've done it once.

This. I worked as an in house graphic designer at Yellow Pages and did 18 hour shifts regularly. Some days I would just go home to shower and come back to what would amount to a 40 hour work session. In the end they stopped paying for my extra hours and gave me what they felt was an adequate raise. I quit a year after that.

bjork

Used to work open to close from Black Friday until about mid-January at my last job. Generally 12 hour days, sometimes 15+ depending on the day of the week. Only day off was Christmas. It isn't easy, I know that.

terrisus

It's funny how people complain about me making a thread about myself...
Yet I don't post anything about myself, and a bunch of people come in and make posts about me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom