• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge was an indie success on Day 1 of Release

Happ secured funding from PlayStation's Pub Fund, which allows him to own the "Axiom Verge" intellectual property as long as he keeps the game exclusive to the PlayStation platform for a period of time. The backing from PlayStation paid off with awards and press even before "Axiom Verge" was released to the public.

Now, a few days after its official release on the PlayStation Network Store, the future looks good.

Dan Adelman, who helped with publicity for "Axiom Verge," told HuffPost the game is an indie success, though he wouldn't divulge sales numbers.

"Our initial goal was to make enough money with 'Axiom Verge' so that Tom could afford to keep making games on his own full time and not need to go back to a day job," Adelman said. "By 3 p.m. of the first day, we achieved that, so Tom will be making lots more games on his own from now on."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/07/axiom-verge-indie-sales-_n_6992678.html

Congratulations Tom!

vareon

Dan Adelman is pretty active in promoting this. The game apparently being good helps, too, so congrats for everyone involved.

VanWinkle

That's great. Congrats to the dev. I haven't bought it because it doesn't really look like my style, but I'm sure I'll get it down the line, maybe when it's cheaper.

Rival

Gold Member
That's awesome and hopefully it leads to more great games being released. I haven't bought it yet but it's next on my buy list.

Qwell

Really enjoyed it, put about 15 hours in to beat it on normal. Probably won't be going back to beat it on other difficulties or anything (I don't really do that kind of thing) but I might play around in the world and try and find the last few bits I missed. I did get all the weapons however, some really fun mechanics in the game.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for him to release another game, wasn't this one in development for like 4 years? Not sure if he was working on it full time or not however.

Great news. Axiom Verge is an incredible game, and has the soul of games that one-man bedroom coders created back in the 80s. A soul which gets lost in games that are made by ever-increasing team sizes.

FEZ is probably the only other indie game in recent memory that got me this engrossed in its world.

Also i love them being upfront about questions about when the game will be on sale and IGC

The game will not be on sale within the first 6 months

It will never go into IGC at this time.

Mesoian

Good. Looking forward to the sequel, the game was excellent.

It's also incredibly weird seeing Matt Kessler's name in the credits.

Fliesen

Also i love them being upfront about questions about when the game will be on sale and IGC

The game will not be on sale within the first 6 months

It will never go into IGC at this time.

yeah, that made me get it Day 1, even though i'm heavily backlogged. If i know it won't be 50% off in 3 months, you can have my money now to fund your future projects.

Hmm good to see, I wonder what the numbers are, the game doesn't have too many ratings on PSN.

Ratings don't really tell you much since they aren't required. Just as an example, early last year it was revealed that Warframe had been downloaded over two million times, yet it only has 129k ratings.

Zero²

Really great! It gives us hope that you can make your dream game and people will like it. As I heard he put a lot of work on this, and it's very fulfilling to see the good results.

SerTapTap

Great news. Truly fantastic game. Possibly actually my favorite Metroidvania, right up there with SotN and Super Metroid. So glad he's going to be able to keep making games.

Love them being upfront and saying "no sales for 6 months, sales announced in advance, no PS+". Really lets people buy in confidence. More devs should stand up like that.

lets hope he doesnt stay on that engine, i want to play his games on other consoles...at least until i get a ps4 lol

Engine is monogame I believe, it's not a problem for porting. It's a PS4 timed exclusive because Pubfund allowed him to quit his job to finish the game. If not for Pubfund PC wouldn't be getting the game this year either because it probably wouldn't be finished at all.

_machine

Awesome to hear and congrats Tom!

I've always been a fan of the PlayStation's Pub Fund since even with timed exclusive the money developers receive can mean a massive difference in the games' quality and off course it makes it more likely that a developer can continue making more games even if the game isn't even a moderate success.

Moosehole

Great story.. This game is so good and it is well deserved. The PubFund seems like a fair trade. Cheers all around.

Amazing fucking game. Couldn't put it down until I had it beat. Worth every penny.

Glad to hear it was a success for him, and can't wait to hear whatever he is working on next!

Congrats Tom!

Jhriad

Nice to hear that it's done well for him so far.

Sadly I missed the sale but Axiom Verge is sitting in my cart right now and I'm looking forward to playing through it.

Eila

Wait, it's PS Exclusive only?
I didn't even know that.

I didn't even know the game was out!

For a period of time. The game is already announced for PC, and there's also a Vita version coming sometime.
Will grab whenever it comes in a humble bundle. Sorry!

Paskil

Haven't bought it yet, but I plan to after finishing Bloodborne and Story of Seasons. Looks amazing. This world needs more fabulous Metroidvania/Metroid clones.

eFKac

Ratings don't really tell you much since they aren't required. Just as an example, early last year it was revealed that Warframe had been downloaded over two million times, yet it only has 129k ratings.

Sure, but it's usually the best we can get since barely anyone shares actual digital sales numbers

Of course it's hard to extrapolate to even guess a ballpark, but I assume, the more ratings, the more popular the game overall on average.

So how does Axiom Verge with around 360 ratings last time I've checked compare to Helldivers - another digital only game from March with almost 5k ratings.
It's interesting what the numbers are.

Top Bottom