• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands-on with GTA 5 on PC at 4K - IGN

The visual differences between GTA V on PC and GTA V on current generation consoles are admittedly less stark than they are between the current generation version of GTA V compared to the original PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, but they are immediately noticeable. There’s an increased sharpness to all that additional granular detail Rockstar massaged into the current gen remaster. There’s also definitely an undeniable smoothness added to proceedings by virtue of the fact GTA V on PC runs at 60FPS; it’s the only version to achieve a framerate higher than 30FPS.

Depending on your hardware GTA V on PC also supports resolutions “up to 4K and beyond” and this brings an incredible amount of additional clarity to the world, both close up and particularly over long distances. The draw distance for the PS4 and Xbox One version was doubled over the previous generation versions but on PC that’s been blown out even further. Parachuting high above the Mount Chiliad side of the Alamo Sea I note Los Santos’ tallest buildings are not only completely visible from this distance, but amazingly crisp. Impressive, considering they’re nearly the entire length of the map away at this moment.

For PC players who lack the hardware to fully exploit GTA V’s 4K capabilities Rockstar assures me 1080p is achievable with average specifications, and that the game is optimised to look and perform well on a wide range of machines. Rockstar has also baked in a wide selection of options that players can fiddle with in order to either increase performance or visual fidelity, one of which is a city density slider which allows us to determine just how bustling streets and footpaths are and how busy the city can be around us at any given time.

Director Mode will allow us to stage elaborate scenes and control characters and animals, adjust weather and time of day on the fly, and trigger actions like gestures and dialogue phrases. Players will also be able to warp to different locations around the map and activate in-game cheats. Rockstar confirms animals, special pedestrians and heist crew members will unlock for use here as you progress through the single-player game.

“The PC version of Grand Theft Auto V is the result of a collaboration between the core Grand Theft Auto team and our lead PC developers from across all of Rockstar’s studios,” explains the Rockstar North team. “Over the past few years, we realised that in order to really improve our PC versions, the core games team had to work a lot more closely with our PC-focused developers.”

“We first put this into practise with Max Payne 3 and we were really happy with the results, so the same key group that worked on Grand Theft Auto V was much more involved in the development of the PC version this time around.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/08/hands-on-with-gta-5-on-pc-at-4k

16890644778_69a4976223_h.jpg

16890853698_298b4607f5_h.jpg

16871024387_61699ab862_h.jpg

17052459006_9a2fb99fc6_h.jpg

16892375029_86a7c02002_h.jpg

17052634096_300f733045_h.jpg

16455975984_e22d540029_h.jpg

16455973104_da6aab5d04_h.jpg

16871068757_558469b190_h.jpg

16890918300_39b52b6230_h.jpg

Rur0ni

“We first put this into practise with Max Payne 3 and we were really happy with the results, so the same key group that worked on Grand Theft Auto V was much more involved in the development of the PC version this time around."
I love MP3.

Arttemis

I imagine GTA6 will be out before I ever get hands-on with a computer capable of running this game at the settings shown in those pictures. Can't wait to see the mods that are out, then!

mnannola

“The PC version of Grand Theft Auto V is the result of a collaboration between the core Grand Theft Auto team and our lead PC developers from across all of Rockstar’s studios,” explains the Rockstar North team. “Over the past few years, we realised that in order to really improve our PC versions, the core games team had to work a lot more closely with our PC-focused developers.”

“We first put this into practise with Max Payne 3 and we were really happy with the results, so the same key group that worked on Grand Theft Auto V was much more involved in the development of the PC version this time around.

This makes me incredibly exited for Rockstar's future as a PC gamer. It seems like the recognize that in order for PC gamers to be satisfied, they need to do some additional work to get a great port, not just an adequate one.

Also, I hope this means no more RDR type games that are coded in such a way that make it incredibly difficult to port over to PC. Every AAA game they make should be on PC from here on out.

Arttemis

This makes me incredibly exited for Rockstar's future as a PC gamer. It seems like the recognize that in order for PC gamers to be satisfied, they need to do some additional work to get a great port, not just an adequate one.

Also, I hope this means no more RDR type games that are coded in such a way that make it incredibly difficult to port over to PC. Every AAA game they make should be on PC from here on out.

Considering the current generation is running x86 based hardware, I don't think that's an issue anymore.

scitek

Seems like it was required for themselves to be satisfied, too.

Denton

I still remember all the people saying "MP 3 doesn't matter, GTA 4 sucked and RDR is nowhere, GTA 5 is going to be shitty port"

hah.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I still remember all the people saying "MP 3 doesn't matter, GTA 4 sucked and RDR is nowhere, GTA 5 is going to be shitty port"

hah.
Still could be.
Just because they say a modest machine can run 1080p doesn't mean at ultra settings or hell, at 60fps. Everyone should be super cautious still.

Nzyme32

Some choice quotes:

Quality levels of effects are the biggest change over previous versions.

“It is the overall experience that adds to that feeling,” explains the team. “With each iteration of the game we’ve been able to push the quality level of the effects that support the lighting, while the lighting itself hasn’t actually changed much since the PS3/Xbox 360 version.”

“All the effects that compose our lighting (reflection, ambient occlusion, skin and post effect) are higher quality and higher resolution (where settings permit), which gives the PC version a smoother and more nuanced picture.”

Also seems they changed their approach on PC to make it good, having the core team collaborating more closely with their PC devs from the start, which they started with Max Payne 3

“[H]aving the original team on the PC title has made a huge difference to the final game, and both our PC focused devs and the GTA team have learnt a great deal from each other.”

Qassim

Still could be.
Just because they say a modest machine can run 1080p doesn't mean at ultra settings or hell, at 60fps. Everyone should be super cautious still.

Hang on, why would it matter if a 'modest' machine couldn't run it at "ultra" and 60fps? That isn't the measurement of optimisation or a good port, that's a measurement of what is included in the game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Very happy to see PC gamers getting a far superior port of the game, as they should considering the HW advantages. Plus, its been years since the game came out, so it would have been a crime for Rockstar to just have been farting in the wind after all that time making excuse after excuse.

Regardless of how many sales they made on 7th and 8th gen consoles, PC deserves the best love in their ports as well.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Hang on, why would it matter if a 'modest' machine couldn't run it at "ultra" and 60fps? That isn't the measurement of optimisation or a good port, that's a measurement of what is included in the game.
Because "modest machine" and "run at 1080p" are really vague terms and don't give any insight on how well or at what settings a game runs at? The smart money is on waiting to see benchmarks.

Denzar

GTX 660 recommended or not, something tells me it won't suffice....

May (and it's money) come quick. Then it's upgrade time!

Seanspeed

Banned
Posted in the other thread, but it's from this article:

Director Mode will allow us to stage elaborate scenes and control characters and animals, adjust weather and time of day on the fly, and trigger actions like gestures and dialogue phrases. Players will also be able to warp to different locations around the map and activate in-game cheats. Rockstar confirms animals, special pedestrians and heist crew members will unlock for use here as you progress through the single-player game.

This shit sounds AWESOME.

I predict we are going to need a thread dedicated to this.

Enco

Good stuff.

Shame I won't be able to max it with my 770 but it should be ok at a med/high mix. Hopefully.

Nzyme32

Does it actually use those 6Gb of vram?

The game scales from a 1GB cards such as the 9800gt from almost a decade ago, all the way to sli gtx 980 for 4k 60fps, and even beyond that apparently. 1080p is apparently achievable with an "average system" which makes sense with the recommended spec only needing a 2gb gtx660

I don't see a reason to get hung up on that screenshot without knowing what was in the system in the first place

kabel

gamestar.de asked R* about the DRM.

There is no always-on!*
Internet required only for the game activation.

*for the singleplayer ofc, not GTAO.

The game scales from a 1GB cards such as the 9800gt from almost a decade ago, all the way to sli gtx 980 for 4k 60fps, and even beyond that apparently. 1080p is apparently achievable with an "average system" which makes sense with the recommended spec only needing a 2gb gtx660

I don't see a reason to get hung up on that screenshot without knowing what was in the system in the first place

That screenshot is showing the estimated amount used (2676)/total vram available (6143) if it's the same information they display in GTA IV. According to that shot , 4K uses less than 3GB of VRAM.

shandy706

Woohoo...so there is an "ULTRA" setting.

Was thinking Very High was the limit.

Edit*** Guys....guys (and gals).....just imagine what the next Red Dead is going to look like....
45-dat-ass.jpg

Aesius

This game is going to murder my Phenom x4 965 and 7850 2 GB.

Thankfully, I'm okay with 1080p and no AA....for now.

Nabbis

That's not what i meant. Even if went over the limit in GTA IV, it was still playable and did not impact performance in a big manner. Usually a vram bottleneck should put a game into a crawling mode.

Nzyme32

That screenshot is showing the estimated amount used (2676)/total vram available (6143) if it's the same information they display in GTA IV. According to that shot , 4K uses less than 3GB of VRAM.

For those settings, but increasing some of the variables from the level they have left them at will change that

Top Bottom