• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Technomancer - Post-apocalyptic ARPG coming to PS4, Xbox One & PC in 2016

Endless

thetechnomancer-game.com

Spiders and Focus Home Interactive announce continued partnership for a new RPG: The Technomancer

Spiders are back with The Technomancer, a new post-apocalyptic RPG set in a cyberpunk world for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC set on Mars during the War of Water, where an aspiring Technomancer faces a myriad of questions as his future grows threatened by the secrets of his past.

An RPG, The Technomancer will offer players action-oriented combat gameplay along four different skill trees, focusing on 3 different fighting styles and the destructive electric-focused powers of the Technomancers. But all situations aren't necessarily to be dealt with brute strength, with dynamic conversation dialogue playing a deep role in quests, changing the story depending on the decisions you make. Craft equipment, weapons and armor for yourself and for the companions you'll recruit along your adventure, nurturing relationships with them.

On the run from the Secret Police and confronted by the harsh realities of the Red Planet, you must undertake a quest that takes you through tribal communities, cities lost under the ice, and dystopian shanties sprawled across Mars' dusty embrace.

Faced with the cruelty of Mars' iron-fist enforcers and wild-life, can you survive long enough to uncover the truth behind The Technomancer?

• A unique and thrilling science-fiction RPG experience set on the Red Planet.

• Bond with numerous unique and interesting companions and reveal secrets about their past.

• Manage their inventory and level up your companions.

• Up to five different endings for many quests changing the conclusions and rewards - even the people you'll meet and journey with!

• A dynamic crafting system that changes the visual appearance of weapon and armor.

• Play as a Technomancer - a combat proficient warrior with use of cybernetically enhanced magical abilities.

• The Technomancer is slated for a 2016 release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Corpekata

Banned
Always up for some Spiders Eurojank.

Should of been saved for an E3 announcement.

Looks interesting though.

It was already announced a while ago, this is just some more details. Game is a sequel to a 20 dollar downloadable title by a mid level dev so probably not enough to warrant an E3 slot.

Corpekata

Banned
I read the title of the game and thought "This sounds like a Spiders game"
I don't even know why.

It was the name of the branch of magic / one of the skill trees in Mars War Logs.

Would you tell me more? It's not a dev I'm familiar with.

They made Mars War Logs and Bound by Flame (and worked on a few other Euro RPGs). Not really stellar titles but solid enough budget games. Tend to have hilariously goofy grimdark writing. Not for everyone, but I enjoy them.

Matriox

This game is about the Gaffer "The Technomancer" right?

Game looks and sounds sweet!

Edit. Oh it's the Bound by Flame devs. Err...

I actually really loved Bound by Flame, probably for the reasons mentioned below.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Oh it's the Bound by Flame devs. Err...

Spiders is a weird developer. Their games always have heart and an interesting premise but are deeply, deeply flawed. Kinda buggy, lackluster story, HILARIOUS voice acting, wonky gameplay etc. Yet, despite all of this, kinda charming.

Rosur

Always up for some Spiders Eurojank.

It was already announced a while ago, this is just some more details. Game is a sequel to a 20 dollar downloadable title by a mid level dev so probably not enough to warrant an E3 slot.

Ah not seen it announced before.

Philippo

Bound By Flame was average at best, but filled my carve for smaller, B-tiers game pretty well.

I'm sure Spiders could do much better with a higher budget and next-gen console (and a new writer please!).

What engine is this running on? UE4?

Neat. Rather enjoyed Bound By Flame, and it scratched my ARPG itch until Dragon Age was released, so will probably pick this up too.

I kinda like Spiders levels of jank in games. In the same way that I like Acquire's titles despite them always controlling quite stiffly.

Will keep an eye on this!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Read that as "Techromancer", and got all excited thinking it had to do with this...

51LX7LgvjFL.jpg

I played both Mars: War Logs and Bound by Flame till the beginning of the third act but got bored and never went back to replay them. I think it was the weird hub world design that put me off.

jesu

I'm glad we're still getting b-level RPGs on the consoles, I do tend to enjoy them.
Will keep an eye on it.

Corpekata

Banned
"Manage their inventory"

Since when did inventory management turn into a selling point?

Probably meant to be a selling point when taken with the context of the reset of the sentence, in response to their other games, which gave you very little control over companions and was a common complaint.

Sort of like how Dragon Age Inquisition addressed early on that you could gear up your party members when DA2 omitted it.

I finished Bound by Flame twice and enjoyed it but it was certainly B grade in every way a game can be.

Not that there isn't a market for their games, just don't expect anything special.

eFKac

I know what to expect of Spiders but am still looking forward to this, looks interesting. Will get it on a PSN sale.

glaurung

The games made by Spiders have been improving.

I will keep an eye on this one. The first image is too bog-standard, Borderlands meets Rage meets Mad Max.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Sooo...none of the two screens really look like Cyberpunk to me. I know Cyberpunk is more than Neon lights and rainy cities but this looks more like Boderlands and....I dunno some Fantasy RPG.
Weird. Spiders.

Bound By Flame, while clearly a small AA with a lack of polish and production value, was really decent : good enough content, great chara, monster and environmental design, decent enough combat mecanics with a clever skill three.

So this could be enjoyable as well

ricki42

Sooo...none of the two screens really look like Cyberpunk to me. I know Cyberpunk is more than Neon lights and rainy cities but this looks more like Boderlands and....I dunno some Fantasy RPG.
Weird. Spiders.

The top one with the title looks cyberpunk-ish though with some sort of industrial building or structure in the background. But I agree, the other two look more fantasy.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Weird. Spiders.
Lol this is exactly what I thought when I saw the screenshots. That doesn't look cyberpunk to me.

Weird. Spiders.

Cyberpunk can delve into dystopian (Borderlands-ish) themes as well. Some argue Borderlands has Cyberpunk influences (which I agree with).

Hardware is a good example of this (movie from the 90s with Dylan McDermott). Check it out.

I don't know what this is, but it's an ARPG and I didn't see a gun in any of those pictures in the thread... so I'm excited. Can't wait for more coverage.

johntown

Banned
Hmmm I like the Cyberpunk aspect but I won't get excited for this until I see some gameplay and see more about he game.

Top Bottom