• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X Performace Analysis

Jigolo

SPOILERS IN THE VIDEO

NXGamer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_nHJmIqLpA

Summary:
PS4 - 1080/60 during the fighting locked
XBO - 1360/1080? /60 during fighting locked

Cinematics for both are in 30 FPS with a few drops and rises here and there.

Gameplay drops frames ONLY after the match is done, likely a loading issue.

Chucker

Can't watch the video at work. Why is the presumably thrown in front of XB1. Wouldn't surprise me at all, but why comment if we're not sure?

Somnia

Only superior European internet can handle 1080p 60 clearly.

Just can't handle playing in other regions =P

In all seriousness I'm fine with 900 on XB1 as long as its locked 60 in matches, KI at 900 looks amazing so I'll be happy.

Gonna be a good time for fighting fans. Got my MK/KI on XB1 and Street Fighter soon on PS4.

edit: Wait OP says presumably, so we don't know what the XB1 version is actually?

Jigolo

"A around looks like 1600x900p" - at around 1:30 of the video

That's what he says so that's why I put presumably.

Moosehole

I can understand the slight disappointment XB1 owners may feel over the resolution, but I think everyone should be happy that both consoles are 60fps locked.

Alienous

Glad to hear MKX uses superb postposses effects like "DOF".

I remember this dude being the guy who was throwing out terms he had no idea about regarding the Uncharted 4 demo, and came to a different frame-rate analysis conclusion that Digital Foundry did with Assassin's Creed Unity and its patches.

I'm somewhat sceptical of this, but it seems like good news regarding the framerate.

abracadaver

Can't be that bad if we need a performance analysis to know its 900p. People in europe have been playing it since friday and I didn't see anyone mentioning the resolution.

I'm more shocked that the cutscenes are only 30fps. Are x-rays 60fps at least?

T.O.P

Banned
Unexpected but it doesn't bother me if it's rock solid 60fps (users also said that the game looks great)

Somnia

I can understand the slight disappointment XB1 owners may feel over the resolution, but I think everyone should be happy that both consoles are 60fps locked.

No disappointment for me at all, I'm perfectly ok with 900p as long as we get 60fps and not real effect loss. I'd prefer 1080 sure, but as long as it's not below 900 I am perfectly fine. I've played KI at 900 (even lower for awhile) for awhile and it hasn't bothered me one bit.

Orayn

I remember this dude being the guy who was throwing out terms he had no idea about regarding the Uncharted 4 demo, and came to a different frame-rate analysis conclusion that Digital Foundry did with Assassin's Creed Unity and its patches.

I'm somewhat sceptical of this, but it seems like good news regarding the framerate.

His framerate analysis of Bloodborne was also flawed because it calculated FPS in some weird way and didn't include frametime like DF.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

They are guilty of their own issues as well in terms of making up speculations or getting things wrong. He did his own video of GTA5's framedrops being fixed long before DF did anything on it.

I think he's not perfect, but still a decent overview

fernoca

I'm more shocked that the cutscenes are only 30fps. Are x-rays 60fps at least?
Nope. 30 too. Injustice and MK2011 were the same, I think Fatalities and Brutalities too...a choice more than anything. Cutscenes are mostly pre-recorded movies using in-game assets, used to move the story and hide loading screens. Only a few are in-game per se, which look better and have more effects than the movies. Guess that also confirms the earlier theory that pre-recorded ones were done earlier and lack the updated visuals and effects the rest of the game got.

jett

D-Member
The fight intros, x-rays and fatalities are 30fps too. I guess he considers those "cut-scenes", maybe? Hopefully the framerate in the PC version will not be locked in those situations.

OmegaDL50

It's just embarassing for MS at this point. Especially for a crossgen UE3 game.

The crossgen comment doesn't even apply in case. There is no porting from last gen versions done here. NetherRealm developed the game for PS4 / XB1 entirely from the ground up. In fact Netherrealm isn't even developing the PS3 and 360 versions, they are outsourced.

Yudoken

Oh man, I wished the cinematics and xrays were on console on 60 fps too because they probably will not run on pc in 60 too because of that =/.

Mask

I've had the weird slowdown happen during Jax's fatality, right near the end. Went relatively low, maybe about 23-25 fps?

Other than that, it's been rock solid on the PS4.

The crossgen comment doesn't even apply in case. There is no porting from last gen versions done here. NetherRealm developed the game for PS4 / XB1 entirely from the ground up. In fact Netherrealm isn't even developing the PS3 and 360 versions, they are outsourced.

Oh god is "high voltage" doing the 360/PS3 port. God what a shite developer.

phaonaut

I've had the weird slowdown happen during Jax's fatality, right near the end. Went relatively low, maybe about 23-25 fps?

Other than that, it's been rock solid on the PS4.

I think fatalities and x-rays are 30fps, maybe thats what you saw?

Wereroku

hah yeah. Usually when stuff is runs at 30fps on console because of performance reasons... even though it is 60 usually... it then becomes locked on PC for "reasons."

Let's hope it doesn't do that.

If the cinematics were made at 30fps wouldn't it require developing brand new ones to let pc's run them at 60fps? Probably means they will be the same.

Nzyme32

Was watching some videos of the PS4 version and it seems they have cut some of the blood effects (possibly a german version) in Kotal Kahn's fatality where he pours blood from the opponents heart on his face. At least they were in the preview videos shown via the twitch streams

jett

D-Member
What does "presumably" mean here? He doesn't have the XB1 version? I can't watch youtube now.

It means he didn't graduate from Pixel Counting college.

hah yeah. Usually when stuff is runs at 30fps on console because of performance reasons... even though it is 60 usually... it then becomes locked on PC for "reasons."

I think it's a genuine concern. I don't know how MK9 on PC handled it though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

That's definatley the case most likely. They design their engine to fit the needs of the consoles and so they can't just unswitch it for PC.

Its the same with CC2's games. They are always at 30fps, on PC as well. And even now on next gen, its still 30fps even though those games COULD run at 60fps on both console and PC considering the requirements.

Ridley327

It's just embarassing for MS at this point. Especially for a crossgen UE3 game.

While it's coming to PS3 and 360 eventually, it's better to look at this game as prioritized for current gen. NRS worked on just the PS4 and XB1 versions with no real regard for how the other versions turned out. Think more Shadow of Mordor than FarCry 4.

Top Bottom