• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gaming Habits of Teenage Girls (and Boys)" - SHOCKING STATS [video]

Thought y'all wanted some really positive food for discussion. I don't know about you, but after watching and reading this stuff, I'm more optimistic about this industry going forwards based on the data from the studies here.

Mostly centred around the GDC talk by Ashly Burch and Rosalind Wiseman (educator, author of Queen Bees and Wannabes, the book that was the basis for Mean Girls).

Sample size: Across the country in various schools, 1853 people filled out the surveys and bit more than 1400 of them were between 6th-12th grade (11-18 years old). 59% suburban, 22% urban, 18% rural. 58% from public, 39% from private, and 3% from charter schools.

Sources:
The Interesting Gaming Habits of Teenage Girls

Curiosity, Courage and Camouflage: Revealing the Gaming Habits of Teen Girls

Platform, not gender, drives gamer differences - EEDAR

Watch the GDC talk
, it's pretty great. Lots of stats about comparing middle and high school boys and girls, surprisingly a lot more in common than you think.

Girls like blowing shit up! They love them some shootbangs!
"According to their study, girls don't just play games, they are prolific gamers; although many of them have developed a negative association with that specific term. Of the girls in the study, 26% played first person shooters, 36% played RPGs, and 15% played MOBAs. In all, more than 80% played at least one type of game, with many of them playing several. These are genres that are typically considered the preserve of the male 'core' gamer, but as Wiseman quipped, 'we have girls who like blowing shit up.'"

"This is October 18th [a summit in a Pennsylvania school], 700 girls, 7th grade, I put up a slide of Call of Duty. And the girls went bananas! They were high-fiving, they were yelling, they were totally happy! They were doing what I usually see with boys. They were recognising imagery that they really like...I wish I had recorded this."
ibsWAX6VEp4OY3.png

Gender gap narrowing in preference of types of games
Women aren't just playing social games, and it's not like men don't play those same social/casual games too. Men and women often tend to like the same games. Even in the mobile space, men prefer the exact same matching and brain puzzle games that is the majority with women, too. It's more about platform lines, and even then in the PC space women and men are both playing RPGs, MMORPGs, and strategy games, so there is overlap.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-10-30-platform-not-gender-drives-gamer-differences-eedar
"Traditionally, it was held that male and female players acted and gamed in significantly different ways, with men gravitating to more core gaming experiences while women leaned more towards casual ones.

But in reality, this perception appears to be far from accurate - active gamers (whether they are male or female) are engaging with video games in largely the same manner. This is not to say that all men and women are gaming identically, but that the overarching pattern and their average level of investment do not differ significantly. The truly significant differences, rather, emerge along platform lines."
Screen-Shot-2015-04-13-at-11.59.59-1024x957.png

Boys think girls are playing everything!
i7edhZiu0DG5A.png

" I was shocked by this. Boys don't think girls are just playing mobile games. Boys think they play everything."

Not Gamer Girls
iLCrraRTHgMEY.png

ielObYSictgDk.png

Not Gamer Girls (girls who don't identify as gamers) and gamer girls both love GLaDOS from Portal as their favourite character (along with Luteces from Bioshock Infinite by a 10th grade not-gamer girl, Natalie and Julia from Harvest Moon by a 10th grade not-gamer girl, Sylvanas Windrunner from WoW by a 10th grade gamer girl). The testimonials are worth listening to about why they pick these characters.
i1F7rhQIDCFkU.png

One 11th grade gamer girl bloody loves Ghost in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. RIP Ghost.

What do girls and boys want to play as? Do they even give a fuck?

ieU2dmNK9etAg.png

i5eC7zjN5uVhl.png

ixnQOYngRJyR1.png

"One of the most common answers that games companies and marketers will trot out any time the topic of women protagonists enters the conversation, is that people simply don't want to play as a woman. The industry tends to assume that men are their primary audience and men only want to play as men. But Wiseman and Burch's study counters that base assumption as well. When asked, most of the boys they surveyed said that they either wouldn't mind playing as a woman, or would be happy to do so. Girls on the other hand, had an overwhelming preference, particularly as they got older, to see more people that represent them in games.

Of everyone that answered, 57% said they'd love to see more women protagonists in games. An additional 35% said they wouldn't mind."

Gamer Boys, 86% of them want to see more women play the same games as them. 55% of gamer boys want to see more female heroes. 56% of gamer boys believe women are treated as sex objects in games.
iblTAE8v2aFvlu.png

izWk458oeeeNS.png

Most teenage guys are totally fine with sexualised women in games, right? WRONG!
iAjDjpviRM8sr.png

"The majority of boys surveyed said that women in games were too often treated as sex objects. In fact, only 19% of the boys said they'd be happy if more women-as-sex-objects made their way into games."
i2OoNYDXcSACb.png

io3sIjRWJx7Ui.png

Sexism In Games
Watch the boy and girl talk about this, they are really smart.
Theo (20:47)
Jade-Kitana-Mileena-Sindel-and-Sonya-the-ladies-of-mortal-kombat-19655919-500-270.jpg
ibzZEVVlElObBC.png

Theo: "This game, it's called Mortal Kombat. I really like it, but I notice a lot of the female characters are wearing very scantily clad clothing which doesn't make any sense because if you're playing a videogame like that, you expect everybody to be armored because it's a fighting game! If these girls are dressed how we think we they should be dressed, objectified like this, it just defeats the entire purpose of wearing armor. I just thought it's kind of polluting young kids' brains to think this is how they should dress. Like, this is how women will dress everywhere."

Rosalind: "And Theo, if you had a female character that was dressed in the kind of armor that you want to see, would you want to play as that character?"

Theo: "Yeah, a lot more. I would definitely respect the character a lot more for like having some dignity."

"200 7th grade kids clapping in support of a boy in their class talking about sexism in games."

Rebecca (24:35)
mqdefault.jpg
ixPUG068zBz7e.png

Rebecca: "I play Trivia Crack and on Trivia Crack, there's always these ads for Game Of War. In Game Of War, Kate Upton plays a female and she's barely wearing any clothes and her upper area is bouncing and it's disgusting and it makes me uncomfortable and I know that makes other kids uncomfortable...I personally find it sexist and if she's going to be dressed like this - and she definitely shouldn't have been - then why aren't other people, why is it just the girl? She's the only girl. This game is played by kids and I don't know any kids who want to see that."

Vocal minority:
"We are constantly in fear of our consumer base, because there's a vocal minority that's giving us the cause to be that way. As this data showed me and Rosalind, these boys are not that vocal minority. They don't make up the whole of our community. So, why are we making games for the people that put the fear in us when really these boys have the same values as the people working in the industry right now?"

False attribution of commercial success of games:
"Developers understandably are afraid of our games not selling. You put so many hours, so much passion, so much energy, into all the games you make that it's terrifying to imagine the game's not going to sell. But it could be that we're falsely attributing the success of these games to things that don't actually matter to kids that are playing them. Kids don't really care that much about the protagonists in their games and in fact, boys don't really have a preference about whether they play as a male or female."

Marketing self-fulfilling prophecy:
"I've spoken to many people in this industry about this. They feel like they can't put females in their games because they're afraid that the game won't sell. But what happens when you're afraid a game isn't going to sell is, you don't market the game. And what happens when you don't market the game? IT DOESN'T SELL! You see all these games with female protagonists, well those games didn't sell. Yeah, cause you didn't market them! Cause you thought they wouldn't sell to begin with!"

TL;DR You know what this means, right? Industry figures, publishers, consultant think thanks, marketing tanks, PR, shareholders, and pretty much anyone in management should watch this talk, take this data in, and come away with broadening their horizons. Not be afraid if you want to have more female protagonists. Not be afraid of advertising core games to girls. Not be afraid of commercial success based on protagonists. Stop the self-fulfilling prophecies based on myths and focus on the actual data.

Nekofrog

Banned
UGH

comic sans

it doesn't matter though. it'll just be yet another study to show people the obvious (girls love games), but it's still TOO RISKY TO MAKE GAMES FER EM GUYS.

whatever, industry. the market is there, it's your loss. someone's gonna come in and make a killing by doing it right by women.

God damn, I love the tag line for Eedar. Context is everything. Damn straight. I have such a hard time having this conversation in a normal marketing agency, but seriously, context is everything.

This was kind of amazing. Theo had an excellent comment. Thankfully the MK team took notice of how disgustingly they were objectifying their female warriors.

Great post, glad to see something postive for once in the gaming community with so much vitriol and hatred constantly over the littlest things. I'm also glad that the younger generation, much like the previous one, really don't give a shit if the protagonist of a game is male or female. As a male, I always find it refreshing to play as something different in a game so when a female character is not a 2 dimensional stereotype I often opt to play as them over the male option. Also cool to see all the different types of games that girls apparently play, I honestly underestimated the diversity in games that are popular amongst them as I would have ignorantly thought it'd be mostly social games and for short bursts. Cool post, thanks for sharing :D

bomblord1

Banned
Read through that and the linked article but couldn't find some information I was looking for. I probably just missed it but it'll be easier to ask then re-reading everything.

1. Who was surveyed. (age, location, region, etc)
2. How were the results collected? (volunteer, phone polling, random sampling, etc)

Great post, glad to see something postive for once in the gaming community with so much vitriol and hatred constantly over the littlest things. I'm also glad that the younger generation, much like the previous one, really don't give a shit if the protagonist of a game is male or female. As a male, I always find it refreshing to play as something different in a game so when a female character is not a 2 dimensional stereotype I often opt to play as them over the male option. Also cool to see all the different types of games that girls apparently play, I honestly underestimated the diversity in games that are popular amongst them as I would have ignorantly thought it'd be mostly social games and for short bursts. Cool post, thanks for sharing :D

No problem, I love sharing these kind of stuff :)

We often as adults just generally underestimate younger people on a constant basis, and are scared of even asking them but would rather just make assumptions of what they believe. It's nice to blow those perceptions and myths apart.

Wavebossa

This was kind of amazing. Theo had an excellent comment. Thankfully the MK team took notice of how disgustingly they were objectifying their female warriors.

The over-sexualized female portrayal is one of the strangest things to me. I feel like it will never change no matter what.

No, i'm not saying there is no place for a scantily clad woman in a game. For some situations, it may fit the character perfectly. But there IS such thing as overdoing it and having it detract from the character's personality. If you have a female character who uses her sexuality to her advantage, then yes, having her scantily clad makes sense. If you have a character with a personality like... say... Hinata from Naruto, having her fight in a 2 piece bathing suit would make 0 sense whatsoever.

Read through that and the linked article but couldn't find some information I was looking for.

1. Who was surveyed. (age, location, region, etc)
2. How were the results collected? (volunteer, phone polling, etc)
I mention this in the sample size part of the OP that Rosalind has connections to various schools across the country, and if you want to hear it directly in the GDC talk, go to 5:41 - 7:35. It sounds like it was done directly through paper surveys at schools. She mentions some specifics about Oklahoma and Pennsylvania.

Fury451

Banned
Lol, girls only like Barbie not shooters get out of here with this nonsense.

This was a pretty interesting read.

The boys response to sexualized women was quite unexpected to be honest, and I think that's a great sign. I know that even as a teen, the over-sexualized thing didn't do much for me and was always kinda gross.

bomblord1

Banned
I mention this in the sample size part of the OP that Rosalind has connections to various schools across the country, and if you want to hear it directly in the GDC talk, go to 5:41 - 7:35. It sounds like it was done directly through paper surveys at schools. She mentions some specifics about Oklahoma and Pennsylvania.

Alright, so the polls should be considered indicative school age children of a certain region in the U.S.

Alienous

It's interesting that these girl gamers gained a preference to play as females as they got older. I think accounting for the opposite is a positive thing to do, that games catered for those younger ages should definitely present the option, but I don't think it's that meaningful for adults - games are largely fantastical, and it should be relatively clear to an adult that the protagonist of a game shouldn't inform their feelings about their feelings about their gender.

Saikyo

Thats some nice research.

Surprised that the girls loved Glados and not Chell...

700 girls, 7th grade, I put up a slide of Call of Duty. And the girls went bananas! They were high-fiving, they were yelling, they were totally happy!

Gaming was a mistake :(

Crayolan

Found it kind of weird that though boys cared less about gender as they got older, the girls started caring more. Now that I think about it though, it might be because of an overall lack of female protags.

It's interesting that these girl gamers gained a preference to play as females as they got older. I think that games catered for those younger ages should definitely present the option, but I don't think it's that meaningful for adults - games are largely fantastical, and it should be relatively clear to an adult that the protagonist of a game shouldn't inform their feelings about their feelings about their gender.

The problem is that, if games present one gender disproportionately over others, you only have stories about that one gender. This was a huge problem in Hollywood until very recently when stories driven by female leads began to be popular and successful. Representation matters because without cultural visibility you tend not to exist. Without stories and experiences about black people, about women, about transgendered characters or even about the elderly, these actual people become marginalized because only one group (traditionally white men) remains visible.

It doesn't matter if this is a movie, a game, an ad on a side of a bus or a speech about educational mission statements. It's incredibly important that all types of people are represented in all forms of media. This isn't just important for children. It may be MORE important to children, but adults are just as susceptible to media standardization as any other age group. This is why, historically, major motion pictures depicting marginalized people have been so impactful (Schindler's List and Jews, Philadelphia and people with AIDs, Brokeback Mountain and homosexuals, 12 Years a Slave and Black people, Up with the elderly, etc etc etc).

Our lives, feelings, and perspectives are curated and developed through media. Sometimes it is completely subconsciously, sometimes people are aware of it, and sometimes people specifically attempt to combat it. But media is humanity attempting to define humanity - this has always been the purpose of art - and therefore representing what humanity actually is as opposed to just how one dominant group sees it is extremely important.

Ploid 3.0

The only reason game publishers and makers keep putting sexy clothing on their characters is because they can then use it for promotional materials to try to sell their game. Unfortunately sex sells and publishers tend to want to have every advantage to sell a product.

Striptease movie cover, Magic Mike movie cover.

SSReborn

I get the kids point about the armor or whatever in Mk but the particular argument itself doesn't make any sense

I mean you have a game where a good number of the male characters fight topless as well

Johnny Cage, Jax, Lui Kang etc. So you can't really question it one way without drawing attention to the same thing happening with the male characters on the other side of the spectrum.

Also surprised no one asked him why he was playing that with how sensitive people are in relation to that stuff nowadays lol.

This is actually a great illustration about how strong, well developed characters are always more appealing than blank, one-dimensional avatars. Complex characters are, in form, more human and the presence of humanity makes a figure more susceptible to player empathy. Glados is a really great contribution to the female character canon, but Chell serves a different purpose. As an avatar with no say in the story, she doesn't create the kind of connection with the player that Glados does.

This is another reason people love to talk about Ganondorf in Wind Waker. He is a very different character in that game than he is in any other: he is burdened by his failure to bring prosperity to his people, he has grown old with guilt and shame, and his hate for the Hylian people comes from the love of his own. He failed them, and now he is the only one left, and his failure is his prison.

This is very different than "I want to rule the world and spread evil!!" that Ganondorf had been depicted to be prior to WW.

EMT0

Banned
This is probably the best proof you could ask for that GAF is full of old people. Or rather that this speaks promisingly about the next generation of children who play video games.

Found it kind of weird that though boys cared less about gender as they got older, the girls started caring more. Now that I think about it though, it might be because of an overall lack of female protags.
Think it's because as you're older, you care more about that stuff and girls are not getting that while boys are already catered for so they don't worry about being represented.

Aeana

Thats some nice research.

Gaming was a mistake :(

Yes, I am also surprised that girls liked a character with a personality and not a blank avatar who only appears to be a girl if you catch her visage in a portal on occasion. I didn't even know the lead character of Portal was supposed to be a woman until I saw her on a magazine cover after I already played through the game.

Jawmuncher

I'm with the kids, I would love to see more Female Protagonists. The generations coming up are very different from a lot of posters own. So it will be interesting to see how it goes in the future.

Yeah I'm not surprised to see that most people don't care one way or the other about if the main character is male or female and stuff like that. I'll never understand the love for Glados though and that's all I'm going to say on that front.

Awesome topic, awesome OP. I'm on my phone so I really appreciate the clear and concise summary. I'll dig deeper when I get back on my PC.

It's really encouraging to read this stuff. This industry still has a long way to go, but the progress made just in the last couple years has been huge. The fervor seen in the resistance to said progress only serves as a testament to how far we've come, and how important it all is. I have two young nieces, and maybe some day I'll have daughters of my own, and I want them all to grow up in a world where they can love this medium just as much as I do.

Shantom

RIP Racing genre.

It is a smaller genre than it was in America. I do feel they could've phrased the genres a bit better. In my (very anecdotal) experience, boys tend to prefer COD and Fifa, while girls go more for Assassin's Creed. I can't really tell where a game like AC would fit in that list, since I wouldn't really call it a platformer.

Shaanyboi

Banned
There is hope for the future! That's what I take away from this. Thanks for sharing OP.
The over-sexualized female portrayal is one of the strangest things to me. I feel like it will never change no matter what.

No, i'm not saying there is no place for a scantily clad woman in a game. For some situations, it may fit the character perfectly. But there IS such thing as overdoing it and having it detract from the character's personality. If you have a female character who uses her sexuality to her advantage, then yes, having her scantily clad makes sense. If you have a character with a personality like... say... Hinata from Naruto, having her fight in a 2 piece bathing suit would make 0 sense whatsoever.
pretty much. I enjoy Bayonetta as she's a character who is all about enjoying her sexuality and having fun. It's part of who she is. It's the dumb out-of-place shit that bothers me. The girl in Lost Planet who, while everyone is bundled up and freezing, she has her jacket zipped down to expose her cleavage. Sonya in MK 2011, ironically became my favorite character to play as along with Ermac, wearing that stupidly revealing jacket for no reason. Don't even get me started in shit like DoA, or Kojima's bullshit reasoning for Quiet's design.

Wonder how Gaters will react to this. Well most likely poop slinging since they are uneducated monkeys
*drums*
tumblr_mu8a6ivh0d1s3ulybo8_r1_250.gif

Yeah the MK designs for female characters are pretty terrible.
MK 2011 compared to MKX are like night and day.

It is a smaller genre than it was in America. I do feel they could've phrased the genres a bit better. In my (very anecdotal) experience, boys tend to prefer COD and Fifa, while girls go more for Assassin's Creed. I can't really tell where a game like AC would fit in that list, since I wouldn't really call it a platformer.

Most of the kids(both boys and girls) were going crazy over Mario Kart and Forza at my daughters school and a lot of kids were not allowed to play M rate games. There are always those kids that got to so they would often go to their house to play.

The genre breakdown has a lot of cross over data. e.g. Mobile, puzzle/adventure, RTS.

A better way to prove your point is to break down dominant console used: Mobile, Console, PC.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Thanks for posting this, Messofanego. Really interesting.

Theo said:
This game, it's called Mortal Kombat. I really like it, but I notice a lot of the female characters are wearing very scantily clad clothing which doesn't make any sense because if you're playing a videogame like that, you expect everybody to be armored because it's a fighting game! If these girls are dressed how we think we they should be dressed, objectified like this, it just defeats the entire purpose of wearing armor. I just thought it's kind of polluting young kids' brains to think this is how they should dress. Like, this is how women will dress everywhere.

I kinda wonder if Theo is just saying this because he thinks he's expected to have these opinions, or if he really believes this. It's hard for people to be their true selves when put in a spotlight.

Rebecca said:
In Game Of War, Kate Upton plays a female and she's barely wearing any clothes and her upper area is bouncing and it's disgusting and it makes me uncomfortable and I know that makes other kids uncomfortable

Body shaming.

Top Bottom