• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "Why can't I play GTA V like everyone else" thread

FuuRe

So, if you are like me, after all the downloading, unpacking, busy writing to disk and whatever steps the game needed to be ready to play, you are still wondering what in the hell those BEX64 and ERR_INIT_PACK3 errors mean, and all the F5's of the world just add to the pain in the other two GAF threads regarding the game's wonderful performance and solid framerate and how everyone is doing happy dances.

There's still people (like me) who can't even start the game.

At the moment, there are two known issues (both named in my first paragraph)

- The BEX64 error (a crash ocurring in the Rockstar Launcher) seems to be related to some problem with special characters in the windows account username, the current workaround is to create another account with an alphanumeric name and reinstall the game in there.

Seems like the primary culprit are laptops with dual graphic cards, like NVIDIA Optimus and AMD (whatever it is named, i dunno), the main workaround seems to be the following list of steps:

Reddit said:
- Disable dedicated graphics card in device manager
- Start game
- Kill game via task manager, launcher remains open and detects this
- Enable graphics card in device manager
- Launcher doesn't crash
- Press "retry" in launcher to now start game on dedicated card

Also this:

The current fixes for it include, but aren't limited to: disabling your main graphics driver, starting the launcher while on integrated, then re-enabling your graphics card; downloading and installing the RGSC manually; downloading a different launcher; running some command in command prompt; disabling all non-microsoft services in msconfig.

It is happening to AMD, NVidia, laptop users, Steam and RGSC users.

It hasn't been acknowledged by R* / Steam / anyone yet.

And also this, take it with a grain of salt, haven't tested it yet but worth a try:

Rockstar Forums said:
You will need to reinstall social club manually. I initially played fine for a few hours, but got the bex64 error after restarting my comp later. Here is the link for the manual installation
http://patches.rockstargames.com/prod/socialclub/Social Club v1.1.5.6 Setup.exe
Hope this helps! Runs great now again!

Also uninstall Comodo Firewall if you use it, two GAFfers ITT fixed their issues that way

- The *PACK* error is related to corrupted game files, the solution in Steam is right clicking the game, properties and click on the "Verify game data" so Steam can redownload the corrupted data, if that doesn't do the trick, you can redownload the entire game

MrJustinius seems to nail it with his post and the tools he found (this apply for non-steam versions as steam has it's own integrity checks, described in the last paragraph):

I had some peculiar issues with my game crashing continuously at the same point during the prologue. Turns out after a bit of research that over half of my RSC downloaded preload files were corrupt.

Follow this guide after downloading this program which runs a hash check on your GTAV files and compares them to a working games files, similar to how Steam does game cache integrity checks. The program is in German, but it's easy enough to understand for everyone.

Good luck everyone still dealing with this, i will update the thread when more solutions and workarounds appear

- The BEX64 error (a crash ocurring in the Rockstar Launcher) seems to be related to some problem with special characters in the windows account username, the current workaround is to create another account with an alphanumeric name and reinstall the game in there.
The BEX64 error isn't exclusive to the windows user name issue.

The current fixes for it include, but aren't limited to: disabling your main graphics driver, starting the launcher while on integrated, then re-enabling your graphics card; downloading and installing the RGSC manually; downloading a different launcher; running some command in command prompt; disabling all non-microsoft services in msconfig.

Khrno

So no one of the devs or testers have a special character in their windows account name? Thats interesting.

To prevent that kind of problems, network admins do not asign account names with special characters, because somewhere a program will show some gibberish instead of áèîøü

So I would say this is an overlook on their test plan and the lack of windows testing experience.

Caayn

Does this error only occur if the install path contains your username? My install path for games is A:%platform%%gamename%, yet my windows username is "Corné". Would the error still occur, or am I safe?

Was planning on installing it tonight.

Does this error only occur if the install path contains your username? My install path for games is A:%platform%%gamename%, yet my windows username is "Corné". Would the error still occur, or am I safe?

Was planning on installing it tonight.

Error would most likely still occur, because your settings will be stored in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA V and that includes your username.

xXJonoXx

The BEX64 error isn't exclusive to the windows user name issue.

I was getting this error last night and I was trying everything to fix it. Turns out closing my anti-virus (Webroot) fixed it.

KHlover

Banned
Seems like I dodged a bullet there. Since I connected my Win8 to my MS account my username is "user@email.com" BUT my personal folders still use my name from Win7 (did an incremental update), which doesn't contain any special characters.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Had the ERR_INIT_PACK3 on my non-Steam version when trying to start the story mode or benchmark. Brilliant of Rockstar to not include a file verification program like games from 10+ years ago have done on their absolutely massive game that dwarfs pretty much every other game ever many times over.

So I deleted everything in the folder but the launcher(probably not the best idea should have done a clean uninstall) and left my PC on last night to redownload the entire game again hoping that I would get uncorrupted files this time. Tried booting it up this morning and it immediately crashes before any title card can even come up, can't even reach title screen like before. So I uninstalled it completely and wiped everything I could, reinstalled the launcher and set it to redownload the entire game again while I'm at work. Hopefully when I get home there will something playable for me.

So no one of the devs or testers have a special character in their windows account name? Thats interesting.
Murica don't give no damn about UTF-8 being a standard
PC gaming at it's finest.
giphy.gif

Ishan

Murica don't give no damn about UTF-8 being a standard

giphy.gif

actually for many ppl this is why they like consoles. They just dont like the hassle. you would be suprised how many ppl just want a press button and works experience. (and yes patches etc but but console gaming is still way simpler)

madjoki

Seems like I dodged a bullet there. Since I connected my Win8 to my MS account my username is "user@email.com" BUT my personal folders still use my name from Win7 (did an incremental update), which doesn't contain any special characters.

I'm pretty sure it uses you first name as folder name.

It's incredible that very similar bug was in San Andreas. It would fail to load saves if folder name had dot in it.

I'm not playing because
my GPU sucks (HD6870) and I didn't even bother buying the game
. Technically it's above requirements, but I'm upgrading soonish, so it's better wait.

actually for many ppl this is why they like consoles. They just dont like the hassle. you would be suprised how many ppl just want a press button and works experience. (and yes patches etc but but console gaming is still way simpler)

+1 for this. One of negative sides of freedom on hardware, there's no way to ensure 100% compatibility. Thought, most of time PC are too just click & launch and you don't have to fiddle with settings unless you want to.

orava

For most PC gamers, it's just as easy. There are cases on consoles too where you had to rebuild databases etc. to get a game running.

Yeah I'm sure day one 20 GB patches aren't a thing

daycru

PC gaming at it's finest.

Pretty much! After a day of downloading, I got a black screen and immediate crash when trying to play the game. I somehow only had 40 gigs in my GTA V folder. Deleted everything, and redownloading. From the slooooooooooooooooowest servers on planet Earth. The game is going to be worth it once it works, but holy shit, why wouldn't they just let me have a Steam key and be done with it if they can't provide a working service?

I don't know what is standard to test for in game testing, but as a sys admin, I never make usernames or hostnames with special characters because they can produce strange errors in incompatible software. I would guess that in most cases the people who set up accounts and computers for testers do the same thing to avoid the hassle of having strange errors with other software than the one they are actually testing.

Pretty much! After a day of downloading, I got a black screen and immediate crash when trying to play the game. I somehow only had 40 gigs in my GTA V folder. Deleted everything, and redownloading. From the slooooooooooooooooowest servers on planet Earth. The game is going to be worth it once it works, but holy shit, why wouldn't they just let me have a Steam key and be done with it if they can't provide a working service?

*buys game for super cheap on a brazilian website using a VPN*
"ughhh why can't I have a steam key !"

I bought it through steam and had 0 issue downloading/installing/running, deal with it :p

Blinck

Pretty much why I got a PS4 instead of upgrading my PC.

Sure, the consoles nowadays do have one problem or another similar to PC, but no where near the fucking hassle that gaming on PC can be.
Insert the disc, enjoy the game.
I'd rather play at 30fps then sit through hours of troubleshooting and whatever else. ( or don't play at all, as some cases in here )

Best of luck with everyone dealing with the problem, and I hope R* does something about it.

daycru

So yeah, this shit still doesn't work.

Vintage

So yeah, this shit still doesn't work.

I started downloading with rsc installer, then paused and quit.
Then downloaded the whole 60gb preload from torrents and copied everything to the game folder excluding main executables.
Launched the rsc installer again and it said that everything is fine.
When the game unlocked it only downloaded ~350mb patch and everything works fine.

daycru

I started downloading with rsc installer, then paused and quit.
Then downloaded the whole 60gb preload from torrents and copied everything to the game folder excluding main executables.
Launched the rsc installer again and it said that everything is fine.
When the game unlocked it only downloaded ~350mb patch and everything works fine.

I've already downloaded this thing twice and have spent way too many hours. I'm just going to try to get my money back.

daycru

NfnclSi.png

It might take a few days to patch it, but this is a common situation for Day 1 software. Even console games have Day 1 issues that have to be patched.

I have never had a console game refuse to play. Problems? Of course. $45 set on fire? Never.

Patrick S.

Banned
Finally got this to work, had to download from a link on Mega because the RSC download speed was ridiculous to nonexistant. I will definitely get the boxed version once it hits 15 Euro.

I'm stuck trying to launch from Steam and nothing happens. No error messages, nothing showing up in the task manager that I can see, nothing.

wtzgU.gif

Fuck...

Vintage

I'm stuck trying to launch from Steam and nothing happens. No error messages, nothing showing up in the task manager that I can see, nothing.

wtzgU.gif

Fuck...

Have you tried unplugging all controllers and other usb devices? I remember it working for me in a couple of games.

The game itself is amazingly optimized but the social club is a hot mess wtf.

Also isn't there rumor about the game using Denuvo DRM? Could this cause issue just like FIFA15?

SirYoshi

This was fun.

> Open Social Club page
> Enter CD key into my account
> "Thanks for registering key"
> Start downloading client
> Social Club client starts
> Log in
> Asks for key again
> Enter key
> "Sorry bro that key is already in use"
> rage

Rockstar Social Club is literally worse than Origin and Uplay combined.

I guess I'll have to torrent the game to actually play it.

Exile20

This was fun.

> Open Social Club page
> Log in
> Asks for key again
> Enter key
> rage

Interesting.

Vintage

This was fun.

> Open Social Club page
> Log in
> Asks for key again
> Enter key
> rage

I had the same issue. When downloader starts, look for popup which shows what account is logged in. My problem was that I activated the game on new account, but my pc had old account info stored on it and the downloader automatically logged into it.
The only way to log out that I found is to change the password of your old account in rsc website. Stupid.

SirYoshi

I had the same issue. When downloader starts, look for popup which shows what account is logged in. My problem was that I activated the game on new account, but my pc had old account info stored on it and the downloader automatically logged into it.
The only way to log out that I found is to change the password of your old account in rsc website. Stupid.

It's the same account. When asked for the key you can choose to go back and log in manually. I did that aswell and it's still not working.

Sucks!

Top Bottom