• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome just broke their own bookmark menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

I mean, look at this shit:

cPem6qG.png

It’s “slick” and thus, it’s actually not functional at all. You can only move one bookmark at a time, you have to click a button to get the bookmarks in order and, worst of all, you can only open one bookmark at a time. Maybe some people don’t use bookmarks, but I currently have around 100 bookmarks, and now they’re all essentially useless thanks to this shitty update. Fuck you Google, you ruined my day.

Should I switch browsers to something else that’s more bookmark-friendly? I’m really pissed about this.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Every day the list of reasons I'm glad I switched to Safari gets larger and larger.

But at least you can sort the bookmarks. That's one thing Apple forgot for some reason. (Not that I ever need to do that.)

SimleuqiR

Weird. On my side I can click bookmarks in a list and drag them to a folder. Or chose a folder from the top menu to move.

cPem6qG.png

You can click the icons, they will turn into "select" boxes. Once you have selected which bookmarks you want to move, drag them to a folder of your choosing.

Or are we talking about something else?

Google have absolutely abysmal UI designs. They try and make then slick and cool but they're confusing, lack features, and half the time the things you want are buried 5 menus deep.

entremet

Every day the list of reasons I'm glad I switched to Safari gets larger and larger.

But at least you can sort the bookmarks. That's one thing Apple forgot for some reason. (Not that I ever need to do that.)

Yep. I was huge Chrome stan since day one. It just got so bad.

What is the Chrome team doing?

Majine

Banned
I think Safari handles bookmarks the best actually. It shows them in a grid of icons and folders, which helps the spatial memory instead of having a horizontal or vertical list. And it doesn't take up the whole window.

Ugh, just updated chrome to see how shitty it was for myself.

Can't believe the default view is great big tiles for each bookmark, who thought that was a good idea?

I use the Bookmarks Toolbar and haven't seen anything different. Chrome still working fine for me.

Go to the 'about google chrome' bit and it should start downloading the update.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?

Same deal. Switched to Safari and was blown away by how smooth it is. Gestures are great, too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Google have absolutely abysmal UI designs. They try and make then slick and cool but they're confusing, lack features, and half the time the things you want are buried 5 menus deep.
I used to be big into Google. But I dunno. I can't stand looking at their UI anymore. Even on Android.

The only things I use anymore are Gmail (Which I access via Mail.app) and searching. I used to be a huge Chrome supporter too. I even had a Cr-48. But then one day it just got shitty for me (On OS X) and never got better. Months and months went by and it literally got worse and worse. Numerous uninstalls and reinstalls. Switching between channels. I tried everything. (And yes I always made sure to completely remove it so I could install fresh each time. I was desperate.) It just got worse and worse. So when Mavericks and iOS 7 came out, I switched to Safari and never looked back. (Up until Mavericks, Safari was terrible and I couldn't justify switching. So when I was finally able to switch it felt so good to drop Chrome.)

Ahasverus

Chrome Lollipop don't work in tabs enymore, it opens a separate "task" for each one having the user navigate to system cards to switch between tabs.

WTF Google.

mrkgoo

What do you mean sort bookmarks?

At any rate u like safari for the ease of syncing between my devices all of which I enjoy safari. No doubt other browsers do it but I like simplicity of it just working through my iCloud.

pj

Banned
I stopped using bookmarks a couple years ago. Speed dial covers about 75% of my sites, another 20% comes from typing the first few letters of the URL and hitting enter when the site is auto-completed, the rest is from typing a couple key words and doing a google search.

Why aren't you me?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What do you mean sort bookmarks?
Everyone complains about this missing feature. Basically sorting a folder of bookmarks by name or whatever. I don't really ever need to do it so I don't really miss the feature. But people still complain about it. So I guess it's an issue.

At any rate u like safari for the ease of syncing between my devices all of which I enjoy safari. No doubt other browsers do it but I like simplicity of it just working through my iCloud.
That's exactly why I like it. Plus its integration into OS X and iOS. It has its problems but it works great. (Though Chrome has syncing too. And if Safari hadn't gotten syncing in Mavericks/iOS 7 I would have never even considered it. It was literally the main draw that got me to make the final decision to jump ship.)

Thankfully they haven't ruined the bookmark bar, go to the bookmark manager (ctrl+shift+o) and you'll see what OP means.

Gotcha. I never knew a bookmark manager even existed lol. I've used a bookmarks toolbar exclusively since I got Chrome. Sorry to the people that use it... change sucks sometimes, particularly if it favors looks over function.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I used to be big into Google. But I dunno. I can't stand looking at their UI anymore. Even on Android.

The only things I use anymore are Gmail (Which I access via Mail.app) and searching. I used to be a huge Chrome supporter too. I even had a Cr-48. But then one day it just got shitty for me (On OS X) and never got better. Months and months went by and it literally got worse and worse. Numerous uninstalls and reinstalls. Switching between channels. I tried everything. (And yes I always made sure to completely remove it so I could install fresh each time. I was desperate.) It just got worse and worse. So when Mavericks and iOS 7 came out, I switched to Safari and never looked back. (Up until Mavericks, Safari was terrible and I couldn't justify switching. So when I was finally able to switch it felt so good to drop Chrome.)

Material design is awesome in Lollipop IMO. Great design language for touch screens, very nice interfaces to use. The problem is when they try to make their desktop interfaces the same. Doesn't quite work.

Chrome Lollipop don't work in tabs enymore, it opens a separate "task" for each one having the user navigate to system cards to switch between tabs.

WTF Google.

Personally I prefer that (I can very easily switch from a browser tab to some app to another browser tab, etc, it's all there in one place - having a separate tabs menu in the browser just adds additional steps), but you know you can turn that off in the Chrome settings to get the old tab switcher back right? Well, obviously you don't. But you can.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Material design is awesome in Lollipop IMO. Great design language for touch screens, very nice interfaces to use. The problem is when they try to make their desktop interfaces the same. Doesn't quite work.
And therein lies the problem.

It seems Apple's the only company that knows you can't just take a touch interface and put it on a desktop. I love the way Apple's handling bringing features from iOS onto OS X. They make sure it will work first and foremost as a desktop mouse based interface instead of stupidly thinking "touch = click" and bam, you're done.
I can't wait to see what 10.11 and iOS 9 bring.

atr0cious

WTF Google.

LIterally the dumbest thing ever. What the fuck is the point of a tab if I have to go searching for it? I switched that shit back so quick.

Asturie

WTF Google.

You can change that in settings. Also when you open up Chrome for the first time on lollipop it does state that it does that and if you want to change it so that it operates in tabs like previously there is a option that says click here to change this.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Opera fo' lyfe
Sadly Opera was ruined with version 15, turning my favorite browser into a Chrome-like. And the latest "old" version is kinda broken for me, with sites that doesn't load (or load very slow) and momentary freezes that happen rather often (sometimes it completely crashes and I have to restart it).

I've mostly been using Chrome lately, which I don't particularly like, but at least it works OK. Maybe I should give the latest Opera version a try, but I'm unhappy with the direction it took.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
LIterally the dumbest thing ever. What the fuck is the point of a tab if I have to go searching for it? I switched that shit back so quick.

Searching? I mean... it's really with the OLD tab switcher that they are hidden and you have to go look for them. You gave no idea what tabs you have open until you switch to Chrome and open the tab switcher. With the new way of doing things your tabs are right there in your task switcher along with everything else. Like, I can see here that I have Gmail, GAF, Calendar, YouTube and Facebook open (let's say). Some are apps, some are tabs, all are activities/things in their own right. Why should half of them be hidden in a menu inside another app just because they happen to be web sites rather than native apps? I like being able to switch right from GAF (tab) to Gmail (app) to Calendar (app) to Facebook (tab in my case, as I don't want the app on my phone), all from the same smooth task switching interface. Once you're used to thinking of tabs that way - as equal entities rather than subordinate things that have to live within another app - it's better. I don't even think about it anymore, I just fly between apps and tabs effortlessly. But that's me!

I've mostly been using Chrome lately, which I don't particularly like, but at least it works OK. Maybe I should give the latest Opera version a try, but I'm unhappy with the direction it took.

The only issues I have with it is the occasional GAF GIF overload freeze frame jamboree.

Accoun

Sadly Opera was ruined with version 15, turning my favorite browser into a Chrome-like. And the latest "old" version is kinda broken for me, with sites that doesn't load (or load very slow) and momentary freezes that happen rather often (sometimes it completely crashes and I have to restart it).

If you don't mind the Chromium engine itself, you might want to take a look at Vivaldi Browser. It's still Chromium-based, but it's made by some of the people that made the Presto Opera and is made under similar philosophy. I don't really like the engine myself, so I haven't used it and can't say if it's usable for everyday browsing yet, but it's worth at least checking out.

Toothless

I stopped using bookmarks a couple years ago. Speed dial covers about 75% of my sites, another 20% comes from typing the first few letters of the URL and hitting enter when the site is auto-completed, the rest is from typing a couple key words and doing a google search.

Why aren't you me?

I have a long term project involving multiple threads on another forum; thus, I need the bookmarks to remember all 80-some threads.

There is not an inherent correlation between the two.

Obviously the problem is when they weigh form over function.

This is true, but in this case it is the latter. It's not functional.

What the hell is in that "experimental" folder, OP, and why is it private??

LOLOLOL, I had to make an experimental film for class a few weeks ago using archive footage. That folder is full of all the found footage and sound so I could go back after editing the film to make sure I credited everything. Nothing more, heheh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom