• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt by Gamespot

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
witch21osy.jpg

Lunar15

PC version in a window, downgrade confirmed, PS4 was stronger than PC all along, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria, etc.

PS4 version also doesn't have half of the HUD. Preorder cancelled here too. Gawd, devs these days...

ALso, I don't get how PC players can play with no HUD....

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
PS4 version also doesn't have half of the HUD. Preorder cancelled here too. Gawd, devs these days...

ALso, I don't get how PC players can play with no HUD....

We don't, we just turn it off for pretty screenshots.

Again, any The Witcher 2 spoilers in this video?

Ploid 3.0

These guys are good people. Nice history on games in their part of the world. Makes me want to buy their game for support even though I don't think I liked Witcher 2 much.

Einbroch

Banned
PC version shit. Using the same technique 3DS and Vita games use with the screen within a screen.

Seriously, though, as someone who got 2 hours into the previous game before quitting (not the game's fault, PC issues for myself), this should be useful.

maybe we can actually talk about the video.

very nice feature. i've seen some interviews with cdpr so i guess most of the stuff aren't new to me, still it is very fascinating.

i guess they did that potion-drinking before the fights in previous games because that is how geralt prepares for a fight in the books. that probably doesn't work that well in games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hope the PS4 version is up to par whenever they get around to showing it. Not even a single trailer or gameplay shot

erawsd

very nice feature. i've seen some interviews with cdpr so i guess most of the stuff aren't new to me, still it is very fascinating.

i guess they did that potion-drinking before the fights in previous games because that is how geralt prepares for a fight in the books. that probably doesn't work that well in games.

Danny is actually mistaken, TW3 is similar to TW1 where Geralt could drink potions in combat and he had to manage his "Toxicity" level. In the Witcher 2 they changed it so that you had to drink before combat and it was awful from a gameplay perspective. The only people who seem to like that change were the most hardcore of the lore nerds who want a "Witcher simulator" more than a good videogame.

misho8723

Banned

Well, in TW1 you can drink potions even if you're in combat - but there is an animation for that and I think the enemies can kill you if you're in that drinking animation.. but preparing before the battle is going to be more important in TW3 than in any other Witcher game I believe

I hope the PS4 version is up to par whenever they get around to showing it. Not even a single trailer or gameplay shot

due to MS having a deal that CDPR can only show the Xbox version.

Dont fear, the PS4 will be better than Xbox 1. so if your planning on picking it up on Console it should be the PS4 version no doubt

nullpoynter

Got this game free with my new GTX 970 card. Never played a Witcher game before, but looking forward to giving this a go. I just wish it was a Steam code instead of GOG. Oh well, still can't complain :)

Been looking around for video's like this. Never played 1 and 2, and can't find the motivation or the time to start them. Some nice content, and a nice history lesson in the beginning as well.

Danny is actually mistaken, TW3 is similar to TW1 where Geralt could drink potions in combat and he had to manage his "Toxicity" level. In the Witcher 2 they changed it so that you had to drink before combat and it was awful from a gameplay perspective. The only people who seem to like that change were the most hardcore of the lore nerds who want a "Witcher simulator" more than a good videogame.

okay, so what does toxicity actually do? does it just have a poison effect, or any other effects? what would a high toxicity mean for the player?

Well, in TW1 you can drink potions even if you're in combat - but there is an animation for that and I think the enemies can kill you if you're in that drinking animation.. but preparing before the battle is going to be more important in TW3 than in any other Witcher game I believe

so maybe for the mini-bosses or the quests, but what about just roaming around?

i hope we'd actually get difficult monsters even just for wandering around. the beauty of the witcher books is that the crazy monsters aren't just relegated to the quests that geralt takes up. would that be unfair to the player, though? especially if you haven't saved in a while and you're just trying to get from one place to the next. i can see how that would frustrate people.

okay, so what does toxicity actually do? does it just have a poison effect, or any other effects? what would a high toxicity mean for the player?
I think in this one it drains your health if too high. If I remember correctly it did that in W1 also. In W2 it was a meter to determine how many potions you could take (each potion has a different toxicity level), and staying at high toxicity would actually help you if you were highly specialized in the alchemy tree.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

The PS4 version is up to par. You just likely won't see it in marketing material.

One of the devs stated he will be playing on PS4, and that he wouldn't play his own game on PS4 if it wasn't up to snuff.

PC will look the best obviously. Mostly due to resolution, AA, frame rate, and Nvidia Hair Works.

But the PS4 version should look rather stunning as well.

I'm sure the Xbox One version will look good too, albeit at the lowest resolution of the 3.

erawsd

In TW1 getting too high meant you would lose health from drinking any more potions. Keep going and the screen starts to get distorted, and if you hit 100% you just straight up die. They haven't totally explained how toxicity works in this game, other than to say will be detrimental, you'll still need honey tea to reduce it, and that you'll see Geralt degrade visually. Here he is at the limit:

Witcher3ToxicityGI-610.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Toxicity is functionally just a potion cap to prevent you from abusing the game system.

Top Bottom