• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

got a blind date with a woman with her phd and I am nervous

Krejlooc

Banned
Topic title says it all, really. She is into cancer research, a field I am just entering. Normally, on blind dates, I feel supremely confident because (narcissism aside) I usually feel like the smartest person in the room. That typically leads to problems when dating, however, so ive begun looking for very intelligent women. This is the first woman I will have dated that has more education than I do. I dont want to pull a george costanza here - any tips for dating someone extremely intelligent? I feel like my typical off the cuff banter might seem low brow in comparison.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
people are people. smart or dumb, you're either going to hit it off or not.

over thinking it will probably stand a higher chance of leading to an awkward date than a successful one.

Be yourself and ignore the fact she's more educated (not necessarily smarter) than you. Have a good time and enjoy the small talk.

entremet

The problem is you're that putting too much value in your intelligence so when it's threatened or challenged you end up feeling this way.

Intelligence, looks, whatever are just gifts. Keep it in perspective. There will always be people smarter, fitter, and better looking. Just enjoy people for who they are.

As a corollary, we also have weaknesses and hangups. They don't show up in first dates, usually.

Again, people are people.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Is she an award winning neuroscientist? If so, meet her in the alley outside.

Haha boom.

tumblr_inline_nmvukpAMUX1tr65ve_500.gif

Easy ya'll have the same passion, common ground has been found and conversation should be no problem. Just keep the booze coming and you're golden.

Don't worry about the date.

Worry about how you can readjust your ego long-term to saner levels. You should not draw confidence from belittling others. Self-improvement is good, but you might have overlooked improving your ability to see the many qualities of others, in domains that go far beyond professional accomplishment.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Is she an award winning neuroscientist? If so, meet her in the alley outside.

Iunderstoodthatreference.jpg

Anyway, just try to be calm and composed rather than getting into nonsense arguments. Although, ego might be a factor in between you and her getting together.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Difference between intelligence & pretension
PHD holding cancer researcher doesn't mean she can't appreciate low class entertainment

This. In my experience, education and "braininess" do not necessarily correlate. The favorite movie of one of my PhD-exes was "Dude, where is my car?"

fuzzyset

PhD student here,

1) Having a PhD doesn't mean you're "smart". It makes you very knowledgeable in a very specific field. Don't expect her to be reciting sonnets to you because she does cancer research.

2) I generally don't talk about my work outside of work.

3) As a PhD student, I realize the volume of knowledge required to receive the degree. If you're just starting out, I would never expect you to know it all. If she does think you're "dumb" for lacking this knowledge, she's crazy.

4) Talk about how far video games have come since the NES.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You've already fucked Up by overthinking it and posting a thread. Might as well not go on the date now.

I didn't want to go this route.. but yeah... as just a reasonable amount of criticism... you put enough importance on yourself in your OP (intelligence, narcissism, etc) that it may indicate at some point a good idea to step back and reevaluate your own shit.

fwiw I used to be exactly like you (felt really intelligent, frequently one of the most in the room, etc) and by my early 30s realized that that and a buck fifty could get me a cup of coffee. who you are is 50000000000 times more important than what you are...

entremet

PhD student here,

1) Having a PhD doesn't mean you're "smart". It makes you very knowledgeable in a very specific field. Don't expect her to be reciting sonnets to you because she does cancer research.

2) I generally don't talk about my work outside of work.

3) As a PhD student, I realize the volume of knowledge required to receive the degree. If you're just starting out, I would never expect you to know it all. If she does too, she's crazy.

4) Talk about how far video games have come since the NES.

LULZ @ point 4.

Krejlooc

Banned
Don't worry about the date.

Worry about how you can readjust your ego long-term to saner levels. You should not draw confidence from belittling others. Self-improvement is good, but you might have overlooked improving your ability to see the many qualities of others, in domains that go far beyond professional accomplishment.

Thats quite a leap to take to assume I belittle others. I typically try to hide my intelligence, actually, because I dont want to sound like a braggard.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Just treat her like anybody else? The fact that she has a PhD makes her no better or more intelligent than anybody else...

Top Bottom