• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3's review embargo to end week before games launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

swit

I'm as hyped as everyone else who followed the development of the game so far, but:

He said review, singular... could this possibly mean some shady exclusive review deal with one of the bigger sites?

That is due to automated Chrome translation. Translate tools are not that good with Polish language. The line should be translated like this:
He added that first reviews of the Witcher 3 are expected to arrive in the week before the game is released.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Please be good. Please be good.

Also. Please don't be lying about no downgrade CDPR. I like yall.

Their pro-consumer approach is seriously making me consider buying this day one, it'll be the first game in years I buy at full price if I do.

Either that or they're just confident the game will review well and an early embargo will just build more hype.

I'm interested in when they get their review copies, cause will there be enough time for 100 hours or whatever long length that has been reported? They'd want a couple of weeks.

Sendou

Either they have confidence in their product or count on people forgetting mediocre reviews in the course of one week, harhar.

Prologue

They must be confident, everyone should follow Nintendo's method in this regard. Nice to see a title this big have scores a week in advance.

BigTnaples

Someone slow down and fig the clip?

Looks good from what very little we can see. Hope to see more soon.

Gestault

I loved it when Forza Horizon 2 did it, and I love it here. I'm excited for Witcher 3. After a slow start, W2 Enhanced Edition was something I got deep into.

erawsd

Not at all surprised. These guys are obviously super confident in their game. They've, literally, been touring the world and flying in Journalist and youtubers to play the game for as much as 12 hours in some cases.

I'm interested in when they get their review copies, cause will there be enough time for 100 hours or whatever long length that has been reported? They'd want a couple of weeks.

If the embargo is up a week early then they'll probably be getting them next week. I doubt we see too many of them doing a full playthrough, they'll mostly stick to the main story.

Gorger

Fuck, am I gonna drool over all those 9 and 10 reviews for one week before I can play the game myself? CD Project Red are sadists.

KKRT00

Its not week before, but in a week of premiere and going by that 19 May is Tuesday, it means that embargo should be lifted around Friday or Thursday [14/15 of May].

Maxxan

Does any EU gaffer know when regular press can expect review copies? That one-week-ahead-of-release-embargo sounds like something you'd need a dev kit to enjoy.

kpaadet

They must be confident, everyone should follow Nintendo's method in this regard. Nice to see a title this big have scores a week in advance.
Why does it matter if the reviews embargo is one week before launch or one day? It only matters if you are the type that pre-order and I don't have much sympathy for those.

I really hope that this isn't what they meant when they said they would be releasing console footage soon.

It did look good in the offscreen, but I hope they show more.

If anything, you could at least see that there was no slow down or chopiness during combat!

BouncyFrag

Loving CDPR's swag on this.
277e0-vince-mcmahon-walk.gif

Tovarisc

Why does it matter if the reviews embargo is one week before launch or one day? It only matters if you are the type that pre-order and I don't have much sympathy for those.

Reviews can also have affect on day 1 walk-in purchases as not all day 1 sales are pre-orders. Some people just walk into store and may purchase game that looks cool [judged by case, possible trailer on TV in store], but early reviews can affect these sales.

Daingurse

Just gonna make that last week even more brutal. Fuck, I want this game so bad now. I have plenty of games to hold me off till then, but I need Witcher man. Might have to pick up my 3rd (4th?) Witcher 2 play-thru and finish it. Need to finish Sword of Destiny and Blood of Elves as well. I'm in full hype mode now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It did look good in the offscreen, but I hope they show more.

If anything, you could at least see that there was no slow down or chopiness during combat!
Very true, although everything looks good offscreen. A steady 30fps at 1080p with a decent post process AA solution would be well above what I initially expected of this game on consoles anyway.

kpaadet

Reviews can also have affect on day 1 walk-in purchases as not all day 1 sales are pre-orders. Some people just walk into store and may purchase game that looks cool [judged by case, possible trailer on TV in store], but early reviews can affect these sales.
I seriouly doubt people that would walk into a store and buy a game "because the cover looked cool", have ever read a game review in their life.

BigTnaples

I seriouly doubt people that would walk into a store and buy a game "because the cover looked cool", have ever read a game review in their life.

True. But they will still use the phrase, ". I heard it got bad reviews".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom