• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So 120 FPS vs 60 FPS - As Noticeable as 30 vs 60?

Dubz

I have a 60HZ monitor, and I was thinking of upgrading to a 120Hz monitor. Because 120>60, of course. This got me thinking about what I might gain out of such an upgrade. I don't want to "waste" money if the difference is minute. So is 120 FPS a huge upgrade over 60 FPS? Or is the difference meh enough to stick with my current set up?

SliChillax

To me it definitely is. Especially just using the computer normally like web browsing and using dhr desktop feels incredibly smooth. 60hz feels like 30 to me.

The Llama

Eh, I have a 144Hz monitor, and I definitely don't think so. It's still noticeable, but once I get past ~90FPS I can hardly tell the difference. I just don't think that going from 60 to 120 is as noticeable as going from 30 to 60, to be clear. Getting a 144Hz monitor is absolutely worth it though.

Exuro

It's really easy to notice just browsing the web. Grab a window and move it around and you'll see it's a lot smoother.

KellyNole

It is noticeable, but I don't mind 60 or even 30 fps as long as its pretty solid. I get motion sickness if the frames aren't stable enough.

SliChillax

Waiting for the inevitable "60 FPS is a fucking slideshow" in a few years
Didn't want to sound like a PC elitist. I still think 30fps with proper implementation of motion blur is highly acceptable but 60 is preferable and 144hz is just mind melting.

Mechazawa

It's insanely noticeable.

The vast majority of games I play cap out at 60fps by virtue of them being modern releases, but the instant I boot up RE6 or Awesomenauts, I start freaking out at how smooth they look until I notice they're locked at 120.

elelunicy

Hell no. It's very noticable when comparing them side by side (such as using this site), but in most games it makes very little difference.

AJLma

I think diminishing returns starts at around 90 while gaming.

But yea, 60 to 90 is very noticeable.

On the desktop you'll feel it all the way up to 144hz though.

Tagyhag

Just like how playing games at 60hz for a while makes 30 look noticeably jerky.

Playing games at 120hz and going back to 60 does the same thing.

Which is why I'm afraid of going down that hole, because it means I'll have to keep upgrading at a faster pace that I do now to appease that sweet framerate lust.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Definitely not as noticeable as 30->60 but it is noticeable. I just picked up a 1080p 144hz g-sync monitor yesterday and it's awesome for fast-paced FPS games.

In my experience, it's not AS noticeable in games as it is in just normal usage. Simply using the mouse is a joy on a 144hz screen.
I might get one at some point, probably when I jump into Skylake, DDR4, Pascal, and all that for my next computer.

Will make CSGO an amazing experience.

Akronis

Hell no. It's very noticable when comparing them side by side (such as using this site), but in most games it makes very little difference.

It's a huge difference in terms of input responsiveness and overall smoothness. People that mainly play first person shooters will notice the difference instantly.

Noticeable sure, but I don't feel it's quite a noticeable as 30fps to versus 60fps relatively speaking; that's a lot more jarring.

For reference, yes I have a ASUS 144hz monitor, great to have certainly.

I can definitely tell the difference between 30FPS versus 60FPS, but when it goes to around 90FPS or higher I have a really hard time detecting the difference, It eventually just all blurs together.

30 vs 60 is negligible outside of feeling. It takes 16 frames of animation a second to create the illusion of smooth movement. Going beyond that is fluff. There is no reason to ever go beyond 60FPS for gaming just like there is no reason to ever go past 30 and 24 FPS for animation and film.

Fredrik

Not really, but most games won't run in 120fps, invest in a G-Sync screen instead, that's where the real difference is.

Shin-Ra

Yeah, it's like your, the naked eye cannot perceive the difference between 120 and 60 before 50 inches.

Zeth

Huge difference. 60 is suboptimal once you go 120+. My baseline for newer games has slowly crept up to 90

Not even close. Used a 120hz TN Samsung panel for a while prior to upgrading to my 60hz IPS AOC Ultrawide. My next monitor will be gsync, but the difference between 60fps and 120fps is nowhere near as noticeable

nkarafo

In fast paced scenes/games yes, very noticeable.

Minimum frame rate for Quake 3 is 85 fps for me.

30 vs 60 is negligible outside of feeling. It takes 16 frames of animation a second to create the illusion of smooth movement. Going beyond that is fluff. There is no reason to ever go beyond 60FPS for gaming just like there is no reason to ever go past 30 and 24 FPS for animation and film.
I disagree. There is a reason and that reason is smoothness. It feels better.

TSM

The best kept secret about 120hz+ isn't even playing games. It's general windows usage. 60 to 120 in windows feels like 30 to 60 in games. It's by far the best quality of life upgrade I made for my computer. 120hz+ for windows and g-sync for games is as good as it gets.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I noticed a difference in FPS games and GTA V.

Having to play at 60 FPS
tears.gif

orochi91

Any 120fps videos showing the difference between the 2?

And do I need to have a 120hz capable monitor to see the difference?

elelunicy

You have a 120hz monitor?

Yup. I owned one for one year and half. Went back to 60hz and I can't say I miss high refresh rate at all.

It's a huge difference in terms of input responsiveness and overall smoothness. People that mainly play first person shooters will notice the difference instantly.

I'd say the low input lag that comes with 120/144hz monitors is always good, but the increased smoothness in motion is hugely overrated. Especially considering 120/144hz is not high enough to eliminate motion blur.

Not to mention there are plenty of games that don't benefit from high refresh rate at all. Playing games like Cities: Skylines or Civilization at 144fps is the definition of a waste of frames.

Derp

I have zero problems with a stable 30fps.
Been running GTA V mostly maxed out at 4k stable 30fps. Glad there are others that don't mind the frame rate. IQ is just really valuable to me, especially when the game is actually made to look crazy good at high resolutions (thank you Rockstar).

TSM

I'd say the low input lag that comes with 120/144hz monitors is always good, but the increased smoothness in motion is hugely overrated. Especially considering 120/144hz is not high enough to eliminate motion blur.

Buy a 120hz+ g-sync monitor and you gain access to lightboost which gets you 85/100/120hz modes with nearly 0 motion blur by strobing the backlight. If you buy the IPS version you get the swiss army knife of LCD monitors that gains you the best of all worlds.

void666

Banned
I have a 60HZ monitor, and I was thinking of upgrading to a 120Hz monitor. Because 120>60, of course. This got me thinking about what I might gain out of such an upgrade. I don't want to "waste" money if the difference is minute. So is 120 FPS a huge upgrade over 60 FPS? Or is the difference meh enough to stick with my current set up?

Well, as you can see in this thread some people can't tell the difference between 30/60 fps, 60/120hz. Or hardly notice any improvement. Good for them.

I do, and it's big. When i see something like battlefield 4 running at 120fps/hz it's like thefountain.gif

My advice is to try and see it for yourself before you spend your money.

And keep in mind not all games support 120hz.

Going from 60 to 120 is not as noticeable as going from 30 to 60 as there are diminishing returns on what you perceive but it still has noticeable improvement.

Nuknuk

Neo Member
120hz is definitely a noticeable change for the better. You dont need SLI either to do it. I have a 980 strix and most games i can hit 120 fps in. Do it, you wont regret the purchase.

Nuknuk

Neo Member
Also, not a lot of televisions/monitors do 480 hz native. The common one is 120 hz. 240/480 is usually just each frame doubled and quadrupled.

Nuknuk

Neo Member
Not really, but most games won't run in 120fps, invest in a G-Sync screen instead, that's where the real difference is.

Most games can run in 120hz. You can use CRU overrider to create a custom resolution with a custom frequency, and every game you run will have the setting to run at that refresh rate. The only games that wont utilize it are games that depend on the engine to keep at 30fps i.e. some EA games.

Top Bottom