• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae 2.0 coming in May | Trailer at E3, more at Gamescom

LuuKyK

Full Active Time Report is out.

The (free) update should be coming out mid-to-late May, at least it seems to be the target. There will be a new Active Time Report video too, to be released just after the demo update in May.

9H4BWvE.jpg

lol DASCAE, Sqaure pulling a Capcpom.

Apparently the new demo will feature:

Confirmed:

- AXB enhancements
- Improved camera and targetting system
- additional combat actions and overall rebalancing, more joint attacks
- combat tweaks like MP usage, etc. more range of action for each weapon
- add dodge rolls

Maybe:

- party split-up for quests/stabilized framerate

- Still aiming for FULL HD.
- Frame rate has a higher priority than resolution since it affects gameplay directly.
- The only solution is to optimize the game until the end.
- They won't reduce the number of objects (or limiting the AI) that need to be rendered in order to obtain a more stable framerate.

Regarding the full game: there will be a short trailer/teaser at E3, but the full blowout will be on Gamescom (August). They will also be at PAX and TGS.

y0MuIMc.png

Some early reports/comments coming from the leaked video (yet to be confirmed, but probably true):

Top NA complaint: Noctis' voice is too deep -- sounds like Batman. Players felt they weren't able to connect with him since he looks like a young guy, and doesn't sound that way. The Director stated that he wanted to include voiceover in the demo, but timing was tight so by the time they realized the voice directing wasn't what they wanted, it was already late into the schedule, etc. The final game already has different voice acting.

Top Europe complaint: Cindy was too sexy. The Director stated "she's actually not meant to be an erotic character", but that she's supposed to be an energetic outdoorsy character. They didn't feel it would be too problematic for her to show up on screen while you parents are in the living room. They don't want to change the current concept, but they want to make sure they "maintain the boundary" by "maybe moderating the way she's presented, where it appears as though overly sexual themes are being brought to the forefront, because that's not who she's supposed to be".

Wanting a female party member: Their concept was in following the four guys "in an environment where they can be themselves". "Normally it's just the four guys, so the tent's probably not in tip top shape, but if a female character were thrown into the mix, you can expect things to be a little different than usual. They'll probably clean, and say things they wouldn't normally say around her. I think it'll be fun to see the differences when the guys are being themselves, and when it's not just the four of them. Please look forward to seeing the difference when a guest character joins the party"

15 main issues with the demo according to users(Tabata feedback included):

1. Lock-on
2. Camera too close.(planning to pull it back when in combat and possibly add camera controls for players)
3. Camera felt sluggish and heavy
4. A.I. is dumb. Allies get in the way of moving.
5. Jaggies, the drop in framerate.(anti-aliasing will be in the full game; will prioritize framerate over resolution although still aiming for full HD)
6. Motion and movement is slow, specifically battle movements(Speed from previous trailers like the E3 behemoth fight was reduced due to Noctis being near unstoppable and eliminating the need for a party)
7. Mini-map?(They will add one)
8. Want for a dodge action that doesn't rely on MP(the warp dodge was a leveled up version of the dodge roll, that doesn't need MP, which will also be in the main game)
9. Having to hide behind rocks to recover MP, Everything relies on MP(probably won't lose the focus on MP)
10. Battles are too difficult( Japan found battles difficult, NA found them easy; possibility of adding a difficulty option)
11. Game is too monotonous; repetitive battles, bad controls(looking to add button remapping for players)
12. The stamina for sprinting is annoying(looking to make certain foods may improve dashing distance and speed in the full game)
13. Warping as a regular means of travel( was implementable in February but caused many bugs so was cut; unlikely to be in the full game)
14. Cancel attacks by evading(even Tabata wanted this when playing; already implemented in the full game although you can't cancel out of every attack)
15. Bugs everywhere (lol they realized people could get to Titan)

Regional Complaints:

NA: Noctis vocie is strange, sounds like Batman( couldn't get re-recording in the demo; are working to make him feel younger)
Europe: Cindy is too sexy(not meant to be erotic; aren't looking to change her character too much)

Some other interesting screengrabs:

Hatchtag

Banned
Man the demo was disappointing. The visuals and music were cool, but the gameplay itself felt incredibly clunky and the voice acting was garbage.

I don't even know if the fixing the combat system would make the demo significantly better. It didn't really show off any role playing elements well, which is important in an RPG.

I saw on twitter that it won't be at e3 maybe that means that there will be a small trailer but no demo
I thought the demo was pretty poor, myself. Hope they fix it. I'll give it another go with the patch, but there were a lot of issues with it.
Did they mention what's in the patch? Does it help the frame rate, what combat changes are implemented?
I hope they can make the combat not boring, felt like a poor man's action game rather than a fulfilling JRPG.
Also hope they get rid of that mechanic where Noctis gets tired because who the hell thought that was a good idea.

They said they would put FPS at a high priority, even if they had to sacrifice resolution, so I'm all good.

As for the gameplay, I'm pretty much starting to ignore everything they show now. It's starting to shape up like poop.

Hopefully we get a story trailer soon...

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
"party splits up for quests"

So I can assign party members to go somewhere on the map to complete an objective? That sounds pretty cool.

Squire

Banned
It's really stupid they're upgrading the demo and even stupider they're not going to play through a new area of this in front of people in the same year they're bothering to hold an E3 conference.

Do I have to buy another shitty remaster to get Duscae 2.0?

Courtesy of apparently the same source on /v/

Video is down but I summarized some stuff from the 1:00 hour mark.

>Top NA complaint
Noctis' voice is too deep -- sounds like Batman. Players felt they weren't able to connect with him since he looks like a young guy, and doesn't sound that way. The Director stated that he wanted to include voiceover in the demo, but timing was tight so by the time they realized the voice directing wasn't what they wanted, it was already late into the schedule, etc. The final game already has different voice acting.

>Europe complaint
Cindy was too sexy. The Director stated "she's actually not meant to be an erotic character", but that she's supposed to be an energetic outdoorsy character and she's a mechanic, so the dress is normal. They didn't feel it would be too problematic for her to show up on screen while you parents are in the living room.
They don't want to change the current concept, but they want to make sure they "maintain the boundary" by "maybe moderating the way she's presented, where it appears as though overly sexual themes are being brought to the forefront, because that's not who she's supposed to be".

>Wanting a female party member
Their concept was in following the four guys "in an environment where they can be themselves".
"normally it's just the four guys, so the tent's probably not in tip top shape, but if a female character were thrown into the mix, you can expect things to be a little different than usual."
"They'll probably clean, and say things they wouldn't normally say around her"

"I think it'll be fun to see the differences when the guys are being themselves, and when it's not just the four of them."
"Please look forward to seeing the difference when a guest character joins the party"

At the end - not fully confirmed yet, but they'd like to update the demo to ver 2.0 in mid- to late May.. They already started working on this in April and hope to be able to distribute it to all (don't think they mean general public though -- they tell people to find Type-0 copies with the code)

They actually say that updating a demo is unprecedented but they really want to do it as thanks to the fans that fliled out their survey. They want to show that they're taking feedback seriously. After the openness of XIV's development this is a great direction for SE to move in.

Key fixes are:
>AXB enhancements
>Improved camera and targetting system
>additional combat actions and overall rebalancing, more joint attacks
>combat tweaks like MP usage, etc. more range of action for each weapon
>add dodge rolls

It's really stupid they're upgrading the demo and even stupider they're not going to play through a new area of this in front of people in the same year they're bothering to hold an E3 conference.

Do I have to buy another shitty remaster to get Duscae 2.0?

Game patch.

wmlk

Sounds like gameplay will be much different just by the probable dodge roll. It remains to be seen if it's for the better or worse.

I can't believe people were so caught up with the graphics for a demo that's 1.5 years out...

Sinfamy

People are so jaded oh my god.
I'm happy with any updates.

Also the battle system in Duscae was really good and in depth for being only 50% complete. If you found it over simplistic or unintuitive you were not doing it right. A bad ass a combo with the aerial phantom blades looks amazing.
Camera did suffer though.

Aeana

Cindy was too sexy. The Director stated "she's actually not meant to be an erotic character", but that she's supposed to be an energetic outdoorsy character and she's a mechanic, so the dress is normal.

Right. All of my mechanics dress like that.

sappyday

If they do anything to Cidney-chan I will kill them!!!! D:

Doesn't sound like they're going to change the design instead not have the camera focused on her ass and breasts. I still think we shouldn't be able to see a thong coming out of her. How in the hell can you tell me that is a design that you would feel comfortable showing to your parents.

sonto340

I'm very pleased to hear that Noctis will not sound like that in the final game.
Even my girlfriend casually overhearing me play would interject to say his voice is awful.

TomShoe

Banned
The presentation and music is grand, but the combat system just feels clunky. I have a hard time hitting and dodging enemies. Especially those dogs who jump around, it's really difficult :/

Takao

Banned
but e3 2015 is the 10th anniversary of the game's announcement!!!

has it really been that long???

sonto340

Doesn't sound like they're going to change the design instead not have the camera focused on her ass and breasts. I still think we shouldn't be able to see a thong coming out of her. How in the hell can you tell me that is a design that you would feel comfortable showing to your parents.
I never noticed anything objectionable about her design.
I'm not constantly looking for that sort of thing though. It's a video game, I don't feel like it's worth trying to force social commentary out of something as minor as a mechanic character in a JRPG.

SSReborn

Really cool that they are taking feedback seriously will play again when the demo gets updated.

Only hope this doesn't cut into the actual games development too much.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They should probably give the updated demo out as a free download on PSN/XBL so there's a much bigger player pool to give their opinions. You do want a ton of people to buy FF15 right Square?

Well whatever, i'm waiting patiently for the full game anyway

Jetman

So the demo was too difficult for the Japanese and they didn't understand the goals, based off of that graph. What's going on with Japanese gamers?

Mengetsu

As long as I get the option for dual audio all is well. Everyone can get what they like. I like the changes listed so far.

sensui-tomo

They should probably give the updated demo out as a free download on PSN/XBL so there's a much bigger player pool to give their opinions. You do want a ton of people to buy FF15 right Square?

They want you to buy FF type-0 HD and ff15, looks like I should be able to give away my 2 xbone codes i have next month or whenever the interest kicks back up for them.

They already will on PS4. They don't even need a demo to ensure this

_woLf

Couldn't finish the demo because of how clunky it was. Will gladly wait for 2.0 and give it another go....2.0 worked wonders for XIV :)

I have to say I didn't like Noctis' VA at first but it grew on me in a weird way. Somewhat sad and anxious at the same time to hear the one in the final game.

And there is nothing wrong with Cidney. What is wrong with you people?

I understand what they are trying to accomplish but relying too much on your fanbase to fix what you as a developer should already be aware of doesn't exactly exude confidence.

EDIT: dodge rolling is played out.

Jetman

Since it's not on smart phone it's too complicated for Japanese gamers.

Hopefully Nintendo doesn't do a study group in Japan for the new Zelda. We can say bye-bye to a big open in-game world that would just confuse and befuddle Japanese gamers.

Aeana

I have to say I didn't like Noctis' VA at first but it grew on me in a weird way. Somewhat sad and anxious at the same time to hear the one in the final game.

And there is nothing wrong with Cidney. What is wrong with you people?

We're reacting to the blatantly false assertions that her outfit is "normal for mechanics" and that the design was not intended to be erotic. Regardless of whether you like her design or not, hopefully you are at least still connected to the real world enough to recognize that those claims are laughable. They could at least be honest.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Cindy was too sexy. The Director stated "she's actually not meant to be an erotic character", but that she's supposed to be an energetic outdoorsy character and she's a mechanic, so the dress is normal.
Erm

Final-Fantasy-15-Cindy.jpg

I'm pretty sure she would've at least worn a T instead.

Griss

Man the demo was disappointing. The visuals and music were cool, but the gameplay itself felt incredibly clunky and the voice acting was garbage.

I don't even know if the fixing the combat system would make the demo significantly better. It didn't really show off any role playing elements well, which is important in an RPG.

Yeah. The divergence in my anticipation in hype for FFXV and Xenoblade has been incredible over the last three months.

That said, they mention changing the voice acting and are still working on the gameplay, so I'm not writing anything off yet. But it needs to be stressed just how bad the voices and dialogue were.

EDIT: Team 'leave Cidney alone'.

We're reacting to the blatantly false assertions that her outfit is "normal for mechanics" and that the design was not intended to be erotic. Regardless of whether you like her design or not, hopefully you are at least still connected to the real world enough to recognize that those claims are laughable. They could at least be honest.

I can imagine the feedback they got.
'What does Europe dislike most?'
'Cindy's design.'
'Well, what does Japan like the most?'
'Cindy's design.'

'Hmmm...'
'Okay, she stays as is, but we make some PR noises to calm the Euros. Sound good?'

Top Bottom