• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free-to-play Gundam Battle Operation Next announced for PS4 and PS3, beta out now

mankoto

Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Battle-Operation-Next_2015_04-30-15_001.jpg

PlayStation 3’s free-to-play Gundam title, Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle Operation, is getting a sequel on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 called Mobile Suit Gundam Battle Operation Next. And the beta is out now in Japan.

From the Universal Century to the Cosmic Era and so on, Gundam Battle Operation Next is said to be a high-quality free-to-play game for all Gundam fans. It features high-action battles, base capturing, relay point occupation, and other high-strategy situations, as well as modifications and new co-op tactics via the sub-flight system.

The beta will run from today through this Sunday, May 3. Queue it up on PlayStation 4 here (836mb) and on PlayStation 3 here (706mb).

http://gematsu.com/2015/04/f2p-gundam-battle-operation-next-announced-ps4-ps3-beta-out-now

I miss the PS2 days when most of the Gundam games made it stateside. I'm just gonna make a Japanese account so I can play this.

Is this region/account locked? There is a big lock icon that shows up when looking at the game info on my NA PS4 account that isn't there on my JP account. Still downloading so I can't check.

The original could be played from any region account.

Edit: never mind, had to activate the primary system for my JP account.

Keylow415

just downloaded it and and trying to get into a match.

could not find it in the store too so maybe a lot of people havent dl it yet

Damn, of course this has to come out the day I have surgery! At least it'll be downloaded by the time I get back home later, haha.

Thank you based PS4 remote download.

Was this the one that sort of looked like battlefront?

Like there was a heavy emphasis on ground combat and the actual suits were a big deal. Looked like my dream game if it wasn't Japan only and saddled with free to play nonsense.

Danneee

F2P? I need to fix myself up with a Jap account. Any good guides on how to do that, I guess the process will be completely in japanese?

Glowsquid

Was this the one that sort of looked like battlefront?

Like there was a heavy emphasis on ground combat and the actual suits were a big deal. Looked like my dream game if it wasn't Japan only and saddled with free to play nonsense.

You're thinking of either the original Battle Operation, Operation Troy (which wasn't F2P) or Gundam Online.

Yep, it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek1MFRBsSxg

This is the teaser trailer released during last TGS, and the OP has the official trailer.

Fuck. That's some bullshit. I'm fine with a F2P Gundam title, but as long as there was an actual full-priced retail Gundam game.

just downloaded it and and trying to get into a match.

could not find it in the store too so maybe a lot of people havent dl it yet

I had to search for ガンダム. I couldn't find it in the store any other way.

So, if this doesn't have much of a chance of getting localized, how easy is it to access from the U.S.? I'd like to at least mess around with it even if I'll be completely lost in the menus.

Fuck. That's some bullshit. I'm fine with a F2P Gundam title, but as long as there was an actual full-priced retail Gundam game.
There was an interview from Bamco recently saying future Gundam games will be on the PS4/Vita, so maybe Maxi Boost when it comes down the line later?

There was an interview from Bamco recently saying future Gundam games will be on the PS4/Vita, so maybe Maxi Boost when it comes down the line later?

Yeah, that's cool. I also enjoy the single player Gundam titles that graced the PS3 last generation (0081, Unicorn, Side Stories). I'd like one soonish. Just got my hopes up. :-/

So, if this doesn't have much of a chance of getting localized, how easy is it to access from the U.S.? I'd like to at least mess around with it even if I'll be completely lost in the menus.

Battle Operation on the PS3 was totally accessible from the US. You could level up, gain trophies, etc. The only thing you couldn't from a non-JP account was buy energy to play more than the daily limit allowed. I'm guessing Battle Operation Next will work similarly.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
What a weekend to get home!

Any word on which suits we can pilot in this?
Starters are GAT-01 Strike Dagger and MS-06 Zaku II. Looks like there's 8 more ships in the beta though. AFAICT (using google translate and wikia) they are MS-07 Gouf, RX-78-2 Gundam, RGM-79SP GM Sniper II, AMF-101 DINN, ZGMF-LRR704B GINN Long Range Reconnaissance Type, GAT-X105 Strike Gundam, and XXXG-01W Wing Gundam.

has anyone got in to some matches yet on ps4?
Just got into a match, playing in the US using my JP account. Matchmaking seems to be slow (~3+ minutes to find a group, first time it took ~15 minutes) and once it finds 9 other people everyone has 15 seconds to confirm or it kicks everybody out of the queue.

First three matches I was in the game didn't like my connection so I got booted out. Last match I did I was able to stick around till the end but it was a bit janky.

Top Bottom