• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: New Hololens impressions "demo videos are all basically a lie"

nynt9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfC8RoQcez0

WATCH VIDEO BEFORE COMMENTING

See the video for explanation of the field of view issue.

Can recognize simple gestures and voice commands.

Hologram field of view is very limited, it's only in a small box, not immersive. Especially objects clipping in and out of FOV breaks immersion significantly. Nothing like the demos. Only works when looking straight at the hologram. "It's not augmenting reality, augmenting a little fraction of reality. Which is still amazing, but Microsoft is promising science fiction"

This impression stands out to me fro the rest of the hololens impressions which are overwhelmingly positive so I thought this deserved its own thread.

box me in a tiny FOV if old.

The FOV window example from Verge's video:
BgCkh9W.jpg

vWzZHAU.jpg

edit: apparently there's a written article for this as well. at the time of the posting of the thread it wasn't available:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/1/8527645/microsoft-hololens-build-2015-augmented-reality-headset

RoKKeR

Wrong side?

So the biggest problem with HoloLens seems like the FOV. Too narrow so it breaks the immersion. Wonder if it's something that can be improved, but I imagine only so much computing power is available on the headset.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Needs to be more big articles like this, but glad to see a few having the stones. I'm excited for the future of AR (especially when it converges with one VR/AR device), but Microsoft is going even further than their Project Natal level bullshit in some ways with what they're showing on HoloLens and it needs to be called out.

The company has to have a global sit down and "STOP FUCKING LYING" mandate put on every department as they've now cultivated a total boy who cries wolf reputation.

Servbot24

Banned
I for one, am shocked.

Really though I don't actually care too much. I think we all knew this was a long ways off. Still cool as a blueprint for the future.

VinFTW

Needs to be more big articles. I'm excited for the future of AR (especially when it converges with one VR/AR device), but Microsoft is going even further than their Project Natal level bullshit in some ways with what they're showing on HoloLens and it needs to be called out.

The company has to have a global sit down and "STOP FUCKING LYING" mandate put on every department as they've now cultivated a total boy who cries wolf reputation.

lol...

Anyways

When is this slated for release? Is this an early issue? Would hope these things get fixed as they go further into development/refining. Can't imagine this is close to release, I kind of expected most of the concept videos were just that and this is something they were aiming for.

Dynedom

It is exciting tech for sure but you think Microsoft could dial back on the BS a little. It's like they've learned nothing from Milo.

BTM

Needs to be more big articles like this, but glad to see a few having the stones. I'm excited for the future of AR (especially when it converges with one VR/AR device), but Microsoft is going even further than their Project Natal level bullshit in some ways with what they're showing on HoloLens and it needs to be called out.

Jesus christ

can't watch the video right now, but wasn't it fairly obvious when those hololens videos came out that they were just "proof of concept"? like they were presenting the best it could be in the future of this technology?

cakely

Yeah, I think we knew that. Obviously the "demo" isn't being shown from the perspective of the guy wearing the goggles.

Long-term, we might get a product that really does full AR, but it's probably not going to be what Microsoft is working on currently.

when I watched the demonstration vid I had jokingly assumed it was fake out like Kinect

my heart wanted to actually believe it though :/

There is still hope that they could reach that eventually in the coming years.... the whole description of the AR working well with the environment is pleasing though

Bluenoser

Yup, I've heard this bullshit somewhere before. Deja-vu. Why can't MS just be honest?

can't watch the video right now, but wasn't it fairly obvious when those hololens videos came out that they were just "proof of concept"? like they were presenting the best it could be in the future of this technology?

But that's the problem. They are always showing what they WANT to do as what they CAN do. And they don't make the distinction to the public.

It's always an afterthought apology. "we're sorry we put PC footage on the Xbox channel, with the XB1 logo in the corner. We didn't mean to deceive people"

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The FOV window example from Verge's video:
BgCkh9W.jpg

vWzZHAU.jpg

Juanfp

Or maybe we just wait for the final product that will be sell to the people to know if they were lying?

GnawtyDog

Banned
Lol... I mean common sense tells you those demo's are too good to be true on practice but those are some damn strict limitations - it does qualify as a lie.

An exaggerated tech demo that conveys very little functionality from the actual product?

Well, knock me over with a feather.

Seriously, this has to stop.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
AR and VR are still a good 10 years away from being how we all imagine it. People need to come to terms with this.

Krejlooc

Banned
I keep telling people - AR is much more difficult to solve than VR. AR is a subset of VR in terms of technological progression. The stuff we have to solve for VR, we also have to solve for AR.

This AR stuff is happening 10-15 years too early. Stuff like Google Glass and Hololens are absolutely awesome, I want both so bad to start tinkering with them (and yes, I've tried google glass).

But they are 1970's calculators whose pitchmen are promising with claims about modern desktop computers. AR will eventually become the most important, and transformative technology in our lifetimes. but not yet.

Of course, I will still be buying a hololens on day fucking one, without a doubt.

prwxv3

An exaggerated tech demo that conveys very little functionality from the actual product?

Well, knock me over with a feather.

Seriously, this has to stop.

Honestly there would be no fuss if they did not have the tech demo (which was obviously partially faked). Just show off what it can do and speak about what improvements it needs and that its being worked on. Its not that hard.

Afrodium

Banned
I know this thread is about how this is supposed to be a disappointment, but I haven't been paying any attention to the Hololens at all and this looks really amazing. I know, I know, the whole point of the video is about how the demo videos I'm gushing over are lies, but all that tells me is that Gen 1 will suck. That's normal. If I'm using technology like this in the next decade, or hell, 20 years, I'm going to be very happy. This looks like science fiction and unless something bad happens I'll be alive for it.

Kinyou

Yeah, the fov is a thing they really sidelined, but it still seems less fake than their kinect demos *cough* Milo *cough*

etta

my hard graphic balls
Err, is it not a work in progress? The biggest issue I see with it at the moment is the field of view, but I am sure in the coming years, the FOV will only get expanded.

Top Bottom