• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anandtech: AMD To Launch New Desktop GPU This Quarter (Q2’15) With HBM

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9235/amd-to-launch-new-desktop-gpu-this-quarter-q215-

AMDNextGenGraphics_575px.jpg
AMDGraphicsHBM_575px.jpg

Not mentioned in AMD’s GPU roadmap but now being mentioned by Dr. Su is confirmation that AMD will be launching new desktop GPUs this quarter. AMD is not saying much about these new products quite yet, though based on their description it does sound like we’re looking at high-performance products (and for anyone asking, the picture of the card is a placeholder; AMD doesn’t want to show any pictures of the real product quite yet). These new products will support DirectX 12, though I will caution against confusing that with Feature Level 12_x support until we know more.

The advantage of going with HBM at this time is that it will allow AMD to greatly increase their memory bandwidth capabilities while bringing down power consumption. Coupled with the fact that any new GPU from AMD should also include AMD’s latest color compression technology, and the implication is that the effective increase in memory bandwidth should be quite large. For AMD, they see this as being one of the keys of delivering better 4K performance along with better VR performance.

In the process AMD has also confirmed that these HBM-equipped GPUs will allow them to experiment with new form factors. By placing the memory on the same package as the GPU, AMD will be able to save space and produce smaller cards, which will allow them to produce designs other than the traditional large 10”+ cards that are typical of high-end video cards.

Nice to see confirmation that we can expect the new GPU's this/next month.

wachie

This was expected since HP slipped up in their PR release a few days back. The bigger (& more exciting) news I think is the confirmation of FinFet process for next year with "2X" improvement in perf/W efficiency.

mkenyon

Banned
This is the most interesting part to me:
In the process AMD has also confirmed that these HBM-equipped GPUs will allow them to experiment with new form factors. By placing the memory on the same package as the GPU, AMD will be able to save space and produce smaller cards, which will allow them to produce designs other than the traditional large 10”+ cards that are typical of high-end video cards.

They'll still need some ridiculous power management, but saving space on memory should allow people to put the highest end equipment in much smaller cases. Rad.

so now amd and nvidia will have different release schedules kinda like wiiu and ps4?

interesting. that just means comparisons are senseless, since without a doubt new amd will be better than a 980 but pascal will be better than the new amd fiji, etc. etc. what an endless cycle.

i am waiting for this one and skylake.

mattp

god please let amd put out some competitive cpus and gpus so intel and nvidia dont ruin everything for everyone

But I just sold my gpu cus I was gonna get Witcher 3 and Batman free with a 970. Why can't you guys put your cards out at the same time dammit

If this were to be true, I wonder what it really means.

Are there any IPC (or at least clock-for-clock) comparisons out there between Excavator and Haswell?

I hope it's true. Even if I'm comfortable with my Intel CPUs, I want AMD to shake them up a bit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really hope AMD can bring some fierce competition for both Intel and Nvidia.

Irobot82

so now amd and nvidia will have different release schedules kinda like wiiu and ps4?

interesting. that just means comparisons are senseless, since without a doubt new amd will be better than a 980 but pascal will be better than the new amd fiji, etc. etc. what an endless cycle.

i am waiting for this one and skylake.

No. Fiji is just a little later than normal due to getting HBM.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
god please let amd put out some competitive cpus and gpus so intel and nvidia dont ruin everything for everyone

I sure hope these go well and that their CPUs can actually compete this time around, we need some competition.

Yup, I went with Titan X for this round but I'm still hoping AMD hits it out of the park with this one. Need to keep that competition alive.

If it turns out the cards are great and standing as a clear best choice when Skylake drops, that could be a great boost for them. I expect there will be lots of people going with new builds. It'll be an interesting time for sure.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Cmon AMD, Competition is great, and very important!. I am an NVIDIA owner, but i want to see something mix it up and keep nvidia on their toes.

LETS GO!

Are there any IPC (or at least clock-for-clock) comparisons out there between Excavator and Haswell?

Excavator isn't technically out yet. Carrizo will be the first (and probably only) consumer product that will use it.

AMD claims Excavator is ~5% better than Steamroller, and Steamroller was ~10% better than Piledriver, so I guess someone could just apply those improvements to current desktop comparisons.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
If their 300$ card can outperform 980 comprehensively then day 1. Otherwise Nvidia as usual.

ViciousDS

Banned
hit home AMD.....would love some real competition and see intel/Nvidia shakeup from it.

Just bought a 970 but damn would love to own AMD stuff again....just like the good old days!

Kayant

Sounds great just reading on the other things on the CPU side. I likely will not be in a position or need to upgrade anytime soon but it's good to see that AMD may be become quite competitive on CPU and GPU doesn't like too shabby either.

Denton

They fucked up by not having this ready in time for Witcher 3 and by letting nVidia get its marketing on with it.
I want one, I really hope it comes soon, but damn I want to play TW3 on release maxed and 970 seems like the only available option at that time.

J-Rzez

I really, really hope these things turn out fantastic. We need them to in order to get Nvidia in check again. Hell, if they're spectacular, I'll go red again for the first time in, I don't know, a decade?

jaypah

My 290x is only a year old but I feel like I'll want this for VR. My current card handles my DK2 decently but shit is about to get real.

Durante

Excavator isn't technically out yet. Carrizo will be the first (and probably only) consumer product that will use it.

AMD claims Excavator is ~5% better than Steamroller, and Steamroller was ~10% better than Piledriver, so I guess someone could just apply those improvements to current desktop comparisons.
Using those numbers, Tom's hardware CPU charts, and assuming the 40% are true, Zen should be at least comparable IPC-wise to Ivy Bridge.

If they can reach good clocks and release an 8 core consumer version in 2016 at a decent price point that could be enough to be competitive.

That would be neat.

AJLma

They fucked up by not having this ready in time for Witcher 3 and by letting nVidia get its marketing on with it.
I want one, I really hope it comes soon, but damn I want to play TW3 on release maxed and 970 seems like the only available option at that time.

They didn't miss too much, Fallout 4 is still coming.

Would the 40% IPC improvement be enough to compete with the current i5/i7s?

Maybe. Seems likely they'll still be behind. It matters how they determine IPC, and having all the latest ISA extensions can make a big difference if a tool is programmed to use them.

On a sidenote, I wonder if there's any interest in putting HBM sockets on motherboards and/or GPU cards. I'm guessing maybe for the former, but no for the latter.

WolvenOne

Last I checked, single thread performance for Haswells was close to twice as good. As such, this puts AMD's new core right within spitting distance of Intel in terms of single thread performance. If AMD's CPU's follow similar pricing structures as they have been, they may be the best value gaming CPU.

I mean, if so it means you'll be able to get more cores with similar performance, for less money. If they can manage that then it's a no brainer.

Nachtmaer

Hmm, buy a 970 for my second PC or wait for one of these. What to do?

There's no harm in waiting a little while to see how things pan out. At least if you don't need anything new right now.

Would the 40% IPC improvement be enough to compete with the current i5/i7s?

It's hard to say without knowing at which frequencies Zen will be running and even then it won't be easy to say how fast the actual cores are. You could have all the IPC you want, but if your CPU is running at a low frequency, you still end up with a slow CPU. Putting it really simply, IPC * frequency = core performance. And that doesn't even include stuff like cache performance and other complicated stuff. We'll just have to wait until Zen is out to see how well it does against Intel. If AMD can come close enough at a good price, they've done well considering the state they're in imo.

Top Bottom