• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Give me your favorite tuna salad sandwich recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

I think most Western folks, at least Americans, I grew up eating tuna salad sandwiches.

I also ate tons of them in college, since they were cheap in terms of raw ingredients and packed tons of protein.

I used to eat them all the time before I learned about the mercury and later sea sustainability issues.

Now I only eat them probably twice a week.

I get the albacore since it's more sustainable.

Mediterranean tuna is amazing, especially the specialty Spanish and Italians ones, but I don't have them too much due to overfishing in that area. They're also pretty pricey, but worth from time to time.

Those don't need any mayo at all and I can just eat out of the can or jar.

But for tuna salad, I get the cheaper albacore found in most supermarkets.

The most common tuna salad is basically tuna and mayo.

But I've also messed with non mayo version, but I need my mayo in tuna.

This is my current recipe.

Can of albacore. I like the olive oil versions. I just drain it so I'm not eating too much calories. Water packed isn't as flavorful IMO.
Black pepper
Lemon Juice
Minced celery and onions
Mayo
I like my tuna on Rye or Potato bread. Not a fan of tuna melts, though.

Having a full time job leaves almost no time (nor energy) for a full fledged cooked meal, so this tuna recipe has been my go-to for quite some years now.

Thanks to friend's feedback (some of which work at fast food places such as corner bakery and the like) my recipe has been improved and streamlined over the years down to what it currently takes me to prepare in no more than 5 minutes give or take.

tuna_recipe7kuft.jpg

if you're going tuna in can I find these ingredients work well together...

tuna ( in water), lettuce, avacado, hot sauce. ate that as a salad my freshman year of college a lot.

grew up eating basic tuna/mayo/celery combo though

also you should try sardines in a can. another great product for sandwiches

Ultima_5

Tuna.
Mayo.
Celery.
Onion powder.
Garlic powder.
Pepper.

Mix well.

Tada!!!

i do this too. but i switch out celery (don't really like it) with onions.

serve on a toasted bagel with spinach and tomatoe and maybe more onion. delicious

Leunam

Tuna
Mayo
Lime juice
Onion
Sweet corn
Salt
Pepper

Sometimes I'll throw in a hardboiled egg. Eat it on toast with some pickled jalapeños and carrots on the side.

Quikies83

9oz albacore tuna
1 tbsp parsley
2 tbsp dill relish
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese (real kind)
1 tsp fresh chopped dill
Little miracle whip w/olive oil
Pinch of onion powder
1/4th tsp curry powder

Pickman

Plain tuna in water, none of that fancy albacore stuff.
Miracle Whip
Diced celery and onion
Sunflower Seeds
Slice of white american cheese
Very lightly toasted honey wheat bread.

Tuna
Mayo to preference
Diced red onion
Diced celery
Capers
Black pepper
Garlic powder
Touch of sea salt
Dash of smoked paprika
Dash of dried parsley

In grades k-5 our cafeteria had the best tuna sandwiches

Nice chilled tuna sandwiches they were perfect

I just wish I knew how to make them

snacknuts

we all knew her
Tuna of your choice
Mayo (Miracle Whip can GTFO and stay out)
Small amount of finely chopped onion
Black pepper
Capers

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Tuna
Miracle Whip
Diced onion
Diced celery
Black pepper
A little juice from a jar of sweet gherkins

codhand

cran_almond_tuna_sandwich_yes.jpg

i have a bunch but this is the GOAT

cranberry, almond, and red onion

use of Miracle Whip is an automatic DQ

Tuna
Mayo
Diced red onion
Diced celery
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Ground white pepper
Couple dashes of soy sauce
About 1 tsp yellow mustard
Celery salt

Served on toasted, buttered white bread and topped with shredded cheddar cheese.

DJ_Lae

Miracle Whip in tuna is one of the few good uses for it, I find (that along with some pasta salads and homemade honey mustard dip). Less futzing around with adding seasoning and such, and let's face it - you're just doctoring up cheap canned tuna, it's not gourmet.

I'll usually add diced celery or some red bell pepper (yellow or orange if I have no other option), a little bit of lemon juice, and salt and pepper (mostly pepper).

If I only have mayo on hand I'll also add some garlic powder, chives if it's in season in my garden, a little more lemon juice than I would otherwise, and perhaps grate some carrot in there too.

9oz albacore tuna
1 tbsp parsley
2 tbsp dill relish
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese (real kind)
1 tsp fresh chopped dill
Little miracle whip w/olive oil
Pinch of onion powder
1/4th tsp curry powder

I love curry powder in chicken/turkey salad sandwiches along with a bunch of apple (that is one instance where miracle whip is NOT okay), never thought to try it with tuna.

DopeToast

Banned
I like to have tuna, mayo, little chopped up things of celery, and salt and pepper to taste.

I love tuna salad. Such a great lunch sandwich.

Tuna
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Garlic Powder
Chopped Green Onion
Chopped Celery
Splash of Lemon juice
dash of Kosher salt

Recipe tastes better the second day after the green onion has had time to rest and flavor the fish.

Take two slices of bread, put them in the same toaster compartment, which toasts just the outsides. Butter, chop up some tomato and spread on one half, put tuna on top. Delicious.

Non-mayo Tuna salad.

Tuna
Olive Oil
Almond slices OR Roasted Pine Nuts
Diced Red Onion soaked in vinegar
Diced tomatoes
Kosher salt
Pepper

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My go to for sandwiches is relish, mayo, mustard and cayenne pepper. Mix it all together, put some cheese on top, sliced, or grated.

Krassus

Im going to have to try some of these recipes. I normally just put a squeeze of every dressing and sauce I have in the fridge and it comes out delicious.

Wags sounds like the winner, I do like people mixing in lime / lemon juice I might try that too.

Originally Posted by Wag

Tuna.
Mayo.
Celery.
Onion powder.
Garlic powder.
Pepper.

Mix well.

Tada!!!

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Mayo + tuna + pickle relish. Amounts very in the "that seems like enough" kind of way.

All these recipes without relish make me feel like a weirdo.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Tuna, very small amount of mayo for wetness, fuckload of onion. Sometimes hotsauce.
Surround in lettuce to keep bread dry. Then bread.

vikki

I can't remember where I got the tuna salad sandwich, but it had a burns like wasabi flavor in it that was incredible. I think it was a honey mustard that must've had horseradish or something. I'd be interested to see if anyone has a recipe for Tina salad that can singe my nose hairs a little.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Tuna
Mayo
Just a little bit of juice from the okra pickle jar
Paprika

Alternative: The above, plus some Frank's Buffalo Sauce. Buffalo Tuna Sandwich is heavenly.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Too many of you are skipping the onions.

Put more onions.

Leunam

I'm surprised by the lack of lime juice suggestions. I thought that was pretty common. Bunch of good ideas in here otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom