• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic SEGA games receive modern art treatment.

CookBeck

Preview of the upcoming Shenmue print. This first Shenmue print is made by John Sweeney - lead concept artist on The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 - who took a super cinematic approach. He is also a massive Shenmue fan :) We hope to release the print for purchase early next week as we want part of the proceeds to go to the Shenmue Kickstarter.

70MYS5K.jpg

gunstarhero

Preview of the upcoming Shenmue print. This first Shenmue print is made by John Sweeney - lead concept artist on The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 - who took a super cinematic approach. He is also a massive Shenmue fan :) We hope to release the print for purchase early next week as we want part of the proceeds to go to the Shenmue Kickstarter.

70MYS5K.jpg

Pretty awesome - is this going to be horizontal format like SoR was?

Beyond awesome of you guys to being doing this! Posted your update in the dedicated Shenmue 3 Kickstarter thread to give everyone the good news.

HORRORSHØW

70MYS5K.jpg
oh wow. my gf went to school with this dude. awesome print.

70MYS5K.jpg

Don't take this the wrong way, but is that a photo? Or just hyperrealism? Looks legit tho.

Maligna

Banned

70MYS5K.jpg

This is amazing of you.

IrishNinja

70MYS5K.jpg

this is fucking gorgeous, how much

Jachaos

70MYS5K.jpg

Wow, looks great. Thanks!

70MYS5K.jpg
Yo, this is great.

70MYS5K.jpg

This is stunning. Kinda inspiring too.

70MYS5K.jpg

Fantastic!

zeopower6

70MYS5K.jpg

Woahhh, amazing! O_O

Is this modeled in 3D like the Jet Set Radio print? Looking at some of his work on his blog though, I'd guess that may not be the case, lol. So gorgeous.

Codiox

Jesus Christ, these looks awesome! Do they ship to germany too??

Edit: they ship from the netherlands?

Sogood.gif

Sanctuary

Other than Jet Set Radio and Streets of Rage, I'm not seeing how this is specifically "modern" art. Art like this existed in the 80s and 90s too.

CookBeck

One other picture to show that is print is made on an archival photographic paper. The other SEGA prints were on a matte paper but the photo paper just suits this image better.

5PSqMoM.jpg

CookBeck

Fun new thing we did for those of you that are interested: We asked John if he would video capture the making of his Shenmue artwork. He shot a ton of photos on a trip to Japan recently and used all that (plus his friend as a model for Ryo) to create his Shenmue image. Anyway, his full process can be watched here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqcj4XIIkhs

sourc3d

I love the pure 80's ness of this digital painting inspired by Outrun from UK Artist 'Bones'. Details such as the license plates and checkpoint sign are nice touches, although the image would benefit from either the removal of the outrun text, or the inclusion of the official Outrun title logo.

http://artbybones.com/gallery.htm

Outrun%20130814%20logo%20800.jpg

There's a few other game related art works in his gallery so take a look.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Glad you like 'em.

We are going to do project with other classic (SEGA) games as well. What game do we really need to tackle would you say? And if you know artists we should engage, let me know. Here is the whole set by the way. More at www.candb.com

JeAdWE4.jpg

Outrun and Gunstar Heroes. Would get both in a heartbeat.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I thought when people talk about 'modern art', it's supposed to be shitty and random abstractions that people defend by going "BUT HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL?!"

These are neither. They're just fucking rad.

CookBeck

Outrun is impossible unfortunately because of the Ferrari's. You need to license the image rights for those separately. Or not include the Ferrari's :)

I love the pure 80's ness of this digital painting inspired by Outrun from UK Artist 'Bones'. Details such as the license plates and checkpoint sign are nice touches, although the image would benefit from either the removal of the outrun text, or the inclusion of the official Outrun title logo.

http://artbybones.com/gallery.htm

Outrun%20130814%20logo%20800.jpg

There's a few other game related art works in his gallery so take a look.

I like this better.

OTR-01_1200.png

OTR-04_1200.png

http://arkotype.co/Project-Red-Head-Out-Run

CookBeck

Cool print, love the framing too but I would be nervous about Ferrari getting wind of this.

But I guess that is the case with a lot of tribute projects. Most of these things are small enough commercially for licencors not to take notice or make too much of a fuss about it. Or your design should be 'parody' in that case I think your always covered under creative law I believe.

sourc3d

Cool print, love the framing too but I would be nervous about Ferrari getting wind of this.

But I guess that is the case with a lot of tribute projects. Most of these things are small enough commercially for licencors not to take notice or make too much of a fuss about it. Or your design should be 'parody' in that case I think your always covered under creative law I believe.

Yeah with these stylised images as far as Ferrari licensing is concerned, there is no use of the prancing horse logo or Ferrari name, so basically its just a graphic that happens to look like a testarossa. No legal infringement there on any front.

Much like how Sega themselves removed Ferrari branding and changed the prancing horse on the car to a bird style logo on the recent 3DS Outrun remake, to get around the licensing issue.

Very difficult for them to legally restrict any of the visual design elements that make up the look of the car itself. Its how companies get away with selling body panels which can make an MR2 look like a 355 etc.

CookBeck

OK, for anyone who's been following this thread, I have some answers back from SEGA:

Panzer Dragoon is not an intellectual property (IP) that is fully owned by SEGA. There are multiple rights holders involved. I don't know who (could be Moebius even maybe?) so getting the license to do a print is tough unfortunately.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
OK, for anyone who's been following this thread, I have some answers back from SEGA:

Panzer Dragoon is not an intellectual property (IP) that is fully owned by SEGA. There are multiple rights holders involved. I don't know who (could be Moebius even maybe?) so getting the license to do a print is tough unfortunately.
That explains a lot actually

Ampsicora

What?
Panzer Dragoon was made by Team Andromeda, which was a SEGA internal studio. How is possible? Also Moebius did only some art for the japanese box art, nothing more, PD is only inspired to Moebius. Is really, really, really strange.

CookBeck

I don't know. Was it maybe inspired by an existing story or comic book or other? Maybe the creators negotiated co-ownership at the time. The only thing SEGA could tell me was that there are many third-party owners.

Re: Moebius. French copyright law by the way makes it impossible for a visual artist to waive ownership of work created even in a work-for-hire situation. They have a very pro-artist system there.

Ampsicora

I don't know. Was it maybe inspired by an existing story or comic book or other? Maybe the creators negotiated co-ownership at the time. The only thing SEGA could tell me was that there are many third-party owners.

Re: Moebius. French copyright law by the way makes it impossible for a visual artist to waive ownership of work created even in a work-for-hire situation. They have a very pro-artist system there.

Panzer Dragoon was heavily inspired by Arzak (or Arzach, Arzack etc... lol) made by Moebius in the 70's and we know that. We also know Moebius did some art for the box art, but the artist for the game was Manabu Kusunoki, at least for the first one.
Pretty interesting the SEGA response.

Top Bottom