• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Should you install The Witcher 3's day one patch ( XO version )

Wereroku

This thread lol. If anyone's curious, DF did conclude that the game should be updated.

Not going to respond about how you were wrong?

Except for the part where the resolution changes during gameplay like DF noted (inside buildings for example).

This delightful statement. The resolution seems to be coded to change only in certain locations not inside all building like you suggested. I wouldn't call that dynamic would you?

because the difference between 900p and 1080 is a non-essential trait to many who have experienced them in person. your post is so mindless that it literally repeats the same exact message that has been repeated thousands and thousands of times in the corridors of this board, and adds absolutely nothing of substance to the argument, to bear out the motivation behind your point of view. because there is nothing there, the difference between 900p and 1080p is just about a bunch of petulant teens with nothing better to do [other than the slight blur effect that if you really cared about, you would just buy the PS4 and build a bridge somebody actually cared about]. how can people not understand this or ignore that someone else may have different feelings from them?

simple, they choose to ignore common rationality and what other people have to say in order to continue with the dominating narrative and tone of discussion, because they feel it's necessary to topple the giant MS doomdaddy.

So basically you're saying we can't spot the difference because that difference doesn't really exist except in our minds.

C6E9FYz.gif

Wereroku

About? Changing resolution during gameplay is something I would consider to be dynamic. They didn't mention anything about it being hardcoded in the article iirc.

No they mentioned that staring at the sky doesn't change it. The only thing that changes it is moving into specific indoor areas. That means it doesn't change on the fly like most other dynamic res games. If it doesn't change automatically then it is probably coded to change unless the game has so little overhead it can never get close to 1080p so again it would be completely false advertising.

Mastperf

Yes. That bad. CDPR should be embarrassed, IMO.
I don't have the game but I noticed it in the Gamersyde videos. This is the first game I've noticed it on and it's terribly annoying. I really can't see how it would go unnoticed by anyone playing the game. I really hope they fix it for XB1 owners sake.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I don't have the game but I noticed it in the Gamersyde videos. This is the first game I've noticed it on and it's terribly annoying. I really can't see how it would go unnoticed by anyone playing the game. I really hope they fix it for XB1 owners sake.

I imagine it'll be the first thing fixed. It's terrible right at the opening cinematic.

Prine

Banned
Yes. Not playing it again until it's fixed now.
? I'm playing this right now, where are you facing this.
I imagine it'll be the first thing fixed. It's terrible right at the opening cinematic.

Just the cinematics or game too? I noticed issues when with the cutscenes but not seeing this in game. First time ive seen pre rendered cutscene hit performance issues , quite embarrassing really. Not unplayable though.

RyudBoy

15mins in, XB1 version is atrocious. Stay away until they patch the stuttering. I didn't think it would be that bad but holy shit.

Mastperf

I'm getting it on PS4 but I'd hate for XB1 buyers to have their enjoyment ruined by something like this. I can live with frame-rate drops but I could never play a game like this without constantly noticing the stutter. People play these games to get immersed in the world they've created so the fact that they shipped the game in this state is baffling. Oh well, hopefully it's their top priority in the next patch.

Mastperf

Can you guys upload a video so we can have a look from more varied sources?

Thanks!

Surely it has to be patched in short order if it's as bad as you guys are implying.
The videos on Gamersyde are very high quality so try those if you haven't already.

Three

Yes. That bad. CDPR should be embarrassed, IMO.

It's noticable but I don't think it's that bad. I mean if you bought it on XB1 already it might be worth holding out for a possible patch but I think that's a little harsh on CDPR there. It's actually playable at least.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
It's noticable but I don't think it's that bad. I mean if you bought it on XB1 already it might be worth holding out for a possible patch but I think that's a little harsh on CDPR there. It's actually playable at least.

For me, I'd rather play something else until it's fixed.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Shit still on the fence on what version to keep.

Xbox: prefer controller, space on system is a non issue

Ps4: little better performance

And Destiny dlc comes out tomorrow as well, no way is my ps4 controller battery gonna stay charged :/

Why is life so hard.... J/k

About? Changing resolution during gameplay is something I would consider to be dynamic. They didn't mention anything about it being hardcoded in the article iirc.

Noob, give this one up. Unless they patch it again it looks like all the evidence shows a predominance of 900p. And that's OK. Not ideal, but OK. There's no getting out of how Mattrick and crew gimped the XBO. This generation it's going to have to be about compelling content for MS because the tech war is over. And that's Ok too. They're going extra on games because they can't rely on third party carrying everything.

Chobel

Shit still on the fence on what version to keep.

Xbox: prefer controller, space on system is a non issue

Ps4: little better performance

And Destiny dlc comes out tomorrow as well, no way is my ps4 controller battery gonna stay charged :/

Why is life so hard.... J/k

Well it's even harder than that lol, XB1 version can be patched to be almost locked 30fps, but will it be patched? and how soon will it be patched?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Well it's even harder than that lol, XB1 version can be patched to be almost locked 30fps, but will it be patched? and how soon will it be patched?

Yeah, still leaning a bit towards Xbox, will my controller preference and the fact I will be playing destiny at same time on ps4 (can't charge and go on my set up), looks like that would be the better choice.

Think it would be an easier choice if the ps4 version was perfect 30fps with no dips.

Well still got a few days till I need to decide, I'm sure I'll flip flop some more.

Anyone wanna give me a gtx 980 make my decision easier ;)

Cidd

because the difference between 900p and 1080 is a non-essential trait to many who have experienced them in person. your post is so mindless that it literally repeats the same exact message that has been repeated thousands and thousands of times in the corridors of this board, and adds absolutely nothing of substance to the argument, to bear out the motivation behind your point of view. because there is nothing there, the difference between 900p and 1080p is just about a bunch of petulant teens with nothing better to do [other than the slight blur effect that if you really cared about, you would just buy the PS4 and build a bridge somebody actually cared about]. how can people not understand this or ignore that someone else may have different feelings from them?

simple, they choose to ignore common rationality and what other people have to say in order to continue with the dominating narrative and tone of discussion, because they feel it's necessary to topple the giant MS doomdaddy.

I honestly can't tell if this post is serious or not.

I think I need a break from GAF.

I pre ordered this game from amazon for the XBOX ONE..will hold off on getting the patch til the issue is resolved hopefully by the time the game is delivered a fix will be in place

Noobcraft

Noob, give this one up. Unless they patch it again it looks like all the evidence shows a predominance of 900p.
I didn't say otherwise. I said the resolution is dynamic in gameplay, and it is. The article says it is and the developers said it is. I didn't make any claims as to how often the resolution changes, but only that it was noted to change in some indoor areas as the article stated. My initial reply was to a comment stating it was just a 1080p start screen which is incorrect.

And a bit off topic, my copy may not come for a few days so hopefully they at least lock in the framerate at 30fps/fix the frame pacing. That would be nice xD.

Three

It's worth mentioning that it can't be locked to 30 either. The issue being discussed with the pre-rendered scenes post patch is an actual framerate issue. It's lower than 30, as low as 22, it's not just frame pacing stutter.

Stormy

I do not post much, but I just thought I would put my own $0.02 in here.

I have the game, and it is all patched up. To me it is totally playable. Only real hitches I have noticed is a couple in the first CGI intro, and then when you meet the griffon for the first time at the cart. Once actual gameplay starts, seems fine to me. Maybe others are just more sensitive to it I guess. Does not bother me at all though.

Top Bottom