• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRJam Finalists (Videos, Oculus Mobile VR)

Man

full_width.png

Oculus VR has for the last month been holding a 'VRJam' contest for promoting development towards GearVR.

I have gone through the list of finalists consisting of 37 games and 24 apps (these are the top 20% as voted by judges), all of them running on a Samsung Note 4 or Samsung S6 mobile phones.

Here are my personal favorites:
Captain Clark Adventures
Bazaar
Colosse
Comawake
Daydream Blue
Neuralgia VR
Andromedum
Private Eye - Case Files: The Wooden Lady
Ruins of Chronos
Scorched Battalion
Technolust: Thought Crimes

Samsung-Gear-VR-Innovator-Edition-for-Galaxy-S6-and-S6-edge-specs-price.jpg

Allforce

I just side-load these onto my Note 4 and then open in Oculus App on the Gear VR? Or do I have to do the trick where I don't plug it directly in like with Cardboard apps?

hohoXD123

I've tried a few, favourite so far is Neos, still got a lot to get through but space on my internal storage is running out

I just side-load these onto my Note 4 and then open in Oculus App on the Gear VR? Or do I have to do the trick where I don't plug it directly in like with Cardboard apps?

Na you don't need to use the trick, just open the app directly then connect your phone to the headset, don't go through the oculus app.

I just got the Gear VR for my Note 4, but haven't used it too much outside of the theater app and a few free games, so it's exciting to see more games are being made (even just conceptually).

If more games like the ones in these finalists start coming out I think I'll definitely want to invest in a bluetooth controller so I can play some of the more advanced one (I'd use the PS3/PS4 controller, but I think I need to root, and you can't root AT&T Note 4s yet).

They really need to fix the graphics driver issues with the US Note 4s and Lollipop. I'm lucky that I Airplaned during the update push, and it seemingly hasn't tried again. But everyone who gets the update to Lollipop from KitKat and has that processor in Note 4 reports massive performance drops with Gear VR, and some apps just not working now.

Because you want to spend $700 on a phone, and $200 on a branded headset, just to have the performance uncontrollably drop a few months later.

hohoXD123

I just got the Gear VR for my Note 4, but haven't used it too much outside of the theater app and a few free games, so it's exciting to see more games are being made (even just conceptually).

If more games like the ones in these finalists start coming out I think I'll definitely want to invest in a bluetooth controller so I can play some of the more advanced one (I'd use the PS3/PS4 controller, but I think I need to root, and you can't root AT&T Note 4s yet).

You can try your PS4 controller if you have one lying around, some will work without root and others won't. I invested in a Moga power pro for £18ish anyway, such a good investment especially with the option of using it for emulators.

They really need to fix the graphics driver issues with the US Note 4s and Lollipop. I'm lucky that I Airplaned during the update push, and it seemingly hasn't tried again. But everyone who gets the update to Lollipop from KitKat and has that processor in Note 4 reports massive performance drops with Gear VR, and some apps just not working now.

Because you want to spend $700 on a phone, and $200 on a branded headset, just to have the performance uncontrollably drop a few months later.

There should be a lollipop fix by the end of June.

atr0cious

Just saw this, currently downloading all of them to try out on gearVRs6. Some great ideas in here, especially that facebook wall digitizer.

I invested in a Moga power pro for £18ish anyway, such a good investment especially with the option of using it for emulators.

Yep, this is the one to use. Feels nice enough, works without hassle.

There should be a lollipop fix by the end of June.

Good to hear, but that's still quite a while, and then it has to go through carriers. T-Mobile takes forever because they add in their Wi-Fi Calling (which is nice, but requires a lot of alterations and testing, apparently).

Man

Andromedum is a super simple idea but pretty smart. Simply read your book inside VR and the environment around shifts depending on what you're reading.
Would love for some Lovecraft adaptions. I wouldn't want the voice-over though, just text.

Man

Did you happen to see any just straight browsers in there? Or good music visualizers? Not through the list yet, and it's driving me crazy these things aren't already stock.
Labster seems to have an integrated web-browser. Ony of my favorites but doesn't seem like performance is up to par so didn't include it in the OP.

atr0cious

Labster seems to have an integrated web-browser. Ony of my favorites but doesn't seem like performance is up to par so didn't include it in the OP.

Are you on the Note4 or s6?

Lol, the browser looks like it's part of the overall game? The concept looks great though, my girlfriend is a pathologist, so I'm gonna have her try this tonight.

atr0cious

Any tips for getting a game to run that goes to the Unity splash screen then directly to the Oculus home?
I think I read someone having that issue when they were installing to SD card. I guess make sure you're installing to the phone, and other than that I don't know.

Game4life

Banned
I dont understand why Occulus does not allow VR output on the screen to look like a normal gameplay video like Morpheus does. Seeing two images like that is irritating.

Bsigg12

I think I read someone having that issue when they were installing to SD card. I guess make sure you're installing to the phone, and other than that I don't know.

I'm using an S6 so unfortunately that doesn't help. I really want to see this Audio Arena game

Man

Seems like Carmack is feeling some side-effects judging the affair:

John Carmack @ID_AA_Carmack · 8h 8 hours ago
My head hurts from evaluating VR Jam entries that aren't even close to 60 fps.

supergiz

I made the mistake of trying out one of the finalists, Comawake, at 3am. I've never been so traumatized by a game since the original Silent Hill intro sequence. If you are ever curious what the Resident Evil mansion entrance area might look like in VR, Comawake does a pretty good job of coming close in appearance.

Man

Winners should be announced tomorrow.

If I was to guess I would say Ruins of Chronos. Looks like a genuine game that's well polished with good performance (based on videos) and plenty of meat. Seems to take VR design to heart focusing on teleportation for movement etc. Doesn't seem like a big hit or anything but looks nice.

Daydream Blue runner up.

Top Bottom