• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Bethesda just revoke my access like that?

The digital online future man! Remember you have no control so your best just to bend over and take it like a man lol

this is completely ignorant of what is actually going on here.

these are keys illegally obtained by the retailer. its the only thing bethesda can do.

The company is called "Glory Profit International Limited", works from Hong Kong (bad english is obvious over all of the website's FAQ and terms and conditions), this same exact address (Room 1202,12/F., AT Tower, 180 Electric Road, North Point Kowloon) in Kowloon operates other websites like gameholds/cdkeypascher/IGX4U which mentions WoW gold farming, and payments are limited to bank transfer, cash, Paypal, or check.

No debit or credit card.

breh...

breh!!!

Kyari

You bought from the grey market, you got caught, simple as that. Bethesda can do as they please. I guess best you can do is a chargeback?

Caught exercising his right as a consumer to seek out the best deal? That is ridiculous.

The onus should not be on the customer to be aware of reselling sites. There are vast swathes of members of Gaf that aren't aware of it being legally gray at the best of times, how would you expect everyone outside of the immediate core of games coverage to make an informed decission on that matter either? Its not like mainstream media particularly picks up on it.

I don't support key selling sites, but to act as if using them is tantamount to a crime is ludicrous.

Buying from grey market key resellers makes you the key reseller's customer, not the dev/pub's customer. You're really taking a lot of control out of your own hands by looking to save a buck at sites like this, not to mention furthering their shady practices. It's a lot simpler to go through legitimate or trusted channels to get your product.

Key resellers: not even once.

Heysoos

The company is called "Glory Profit International Limited", works from Hong Kong (bad english is obvious over all of the website's FAQ and terms and conditions), this same exact address (Room 1202,12/F., AT Tower, 180 Electric Road, North Point Kowloon) in Kowloon operates other websites like gameholds/cdkeypascher/IGX4U which mentions WoW gold farming, and payments are limited to bank transfer, cash, Paypal, or check.

No debit or credit card.

breh...

breh!!!

Lol if that didn't raise any flags I don't what will.

Obvious shady ass key reseller

Rising_Hei

This will show you that saving some bucks it's not worth the risk :)

When a place has it much cheaper than anywhere and has no official support from publishers... lol really, just run away of those :/

playXray

If you buy a car from someone that bought it from a car dealer, but has paid it with stolen money, I'm really not sure it's the case...

I guess a more accurate analogy is if someone buys a car with a stolen credit card and then sells it to you. Do you have the right to keep it?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Caught exercising his right as a consumer to seek out the best deal? That is ridiculous.

The onus should not be on the customer to be aware of reselling sites. There are vast swathes of members of Gaf that aren't aware of it being legally gray at the best of times, how would you expect everyone outside of the immediate core of games coverage to make an informed decission on that matter either? Its not like mainstream media particularly picks up on it.

I don't support key selling sites, but to act as if using them is tantamount to a crime is ludicrous.

Did you know it was illegal to buy stolen goods?

Patryn

Actually, there is some onus on the customer.

If a guy comes up to you and offers to sell you a brand new Samsung TV out of his van for $200, would you buy it?

It's the same deal here. You're going to a semi-sketchy site selling a product for vastly less than other sites are selling it for. There's enough red lights there that you had to have had some idea that something uncouth was going on.

hlhbk

Its not on the customer to research who they are buying items from and make themselves informed? If the person isn't willing or doesn't know to do this that is on them. Best bet: order the game directly from the source. You won't have this issue if you do that.

Hektor

He got caught buying a game on the "Black/Gray market" if you wanna call it that.

The onus should not be on the customer to be aware of reselling sites.

I strongly disagree. Its the job of every consumer to inform himself about the product and the store before making a purchase decision.

Though i'd say the publisher could help making the job of informing oneself easier, by offering a list of legitimate sites.

Kyari

Did you know it was illegal to buy stolen goods?

That is ridiculous, it is not illegal to unknowingly buy stolen goods, and that is my point. For publishers to expect all of their consumers to know that key selling websites are dealing in stolen goods, and then punish them for it, is ridiculous.

If companies really cared they would copyright strike twitchers and youtubers who keep advertising these shady sites.

Instead they punish the poors saps who parted with money for their game.

Why cant companies let them off one time, with a warning about dodgy sites.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
That is ridiculous, it is not illegal to unknowingly buy stolen goods, and that is my point. For publishers to expect all of their consumers to know that key selling websites are dealing in stolen goods, and then punish them for it, is ridiculous.

Yeah unknowingly buying stolen goods results in losing that property anyway. Just because you aren't criminally charged doesn't mean you get to keep it just because you bought it.

I feel like this is the first time you've ever heard of this

BUYER BEWARE

Armaros

You don't get to keep stolen goods.

To think otherwise is being naive and ignorant.

Just because it's not physical item, like a car, doesn't mean you get to ignore laws.

Hektor

A company is in no way obligated to keep offering their service to someone who didnt payed them for it.

MUnited83

For you.
You still don't get to keep the stolen goods in any situation. This how it works .

Minions

A company is in no way obligated to keep offering their service to someone who didnt payed them for it.

Agreed.

Stolen credit card = Chargeback by the bank/card holder

That means the company making the game cancels the key that was paid for with the stolen credit card. The game company has no way of telling if the person playing the game was the one that stole the credit card, someone who bought the key etc. As far as they are concerned they have no money, and someone is playing a game for free.

autoduelist

Similar story here when I tried to enter two inactive PSN US vouchers I bought from a small game shop. Now my US account is banned.

There has to be more to this story. There is no chance PSN banned you for trying to enter two inactive codes. Especially if you scratched off the seal and used them for the first time. No chance.

How do these grey market companies generate the keys to begin with? Surely they must originate from Bethesda themselves?
Bought with stolen credit/debit cards, stolen retail copies with keys stripped, stolen from publisher/developer by lying about being critic/media/youtuber, bought from cheaper region with middle man profit margin on top, bought in bulk during pay what you want/deep discount sale. Or it's just some person who bought a legit key they no longer want to keep for whatever reason.

First three would be black market, the following two grey, and the latter completely fine.
It's like a box of chocolates. I'd suspect the cheap RU/BR/whatever key approach is the most common.

Head.spawn

If someone steals my car, sells it to you and you purchase stolen goods, you can best believe I'm getting my car back. You can try to sue the person you bought my car from... Good luck. It would be none of my concern, and you'd be ass out on the money you blew on stolen goods.

Seek out the best deal you can, but some websites are clearly shady. It's on you, the customer doesn't have the right to play dumb.

rpmurphy

They are in the legal right to do so, but it is rather shitty to go after the end customer. Is Bethesda just cutting their losses and not attempting to recover the lost sales outside of forcing the end customer to buy a new key?

That stolen car analogy isn't exactly one-to-one. If the car dealer gets the stolen car back and then proceeds to destroy it so that no one can use it again because they have an infinite supply of cars, then that would fit this model.

Just go the following e-mail from Bethesda regarding my ESO account.

I didn't bought a Steam key, I activated my key via their own website. Got my key from gamesdeal.com, payed a normal price for it ($40). Just like I did with some other games, never had any problems. This is the first time I got an e-mail from a company stating that my key is somehow fraudulent and that they will deactivate my account based on that.

Can they just do that, leaving my account deactivated? Aren't they the ones that should be dealing with the resellers not me, the customer?

That's your problem. Buy CD key from known sources like steam or amazon.

Novocaine

Yeah gamesdeal sounds super dodgy. Maybe you'll get lucky and they will issue you a refund. If not let it be a lesson not to trust 3rd party CD key sites.

jesu

To avoid unknowingly purchasing a stolen digital Steam game key for ESOTU, we urge you to please only purchase digital game keys for ESOTU from official retailers. Please click here to see our list of authorized retailers or visit our online store here.

I take it gamesdeal.com aren't on that list?

foltzie1

File a chargeback with your Cc company, but stop acting like you didn't know you were dealing in potentially questionable goods.

Kyougar

Of course they can and should.

I work in customer relations and have hands on experience with such issues. As a supporter, you feel sorry for the Customer, but thats it. They bought a product for 10 to 50% of the Retail price. What were they thinking?

Spyware

The tone in the email was nice and informative, they let the account stay up for a couple of days so you can fix it without even interrupting the service and if you can't fix it in time you will still just be able to reactivate it later. Some are not that kind when you buy a stolen code. Good job Bethesda!

Of course they have to deactivate the basically stolen accounts. You have not payed them for it, nor have the people you got the code from.

It's definitely up to the buyer to research the goods and the store before purchase, and use caution and secure payment methods in case things go bad.

Something doesn't quite add up....

Got my key from gamesdeal.com, payed a normal price for it ($40)

If you were not getting a "special/discounted" price why not buy directly from the official site?

Bought the key a month ago and without a credit card, so I can't charge back the money.
The site shows "paypal" as the only option, why not get a refund through them ?

RichardKSJ

Some of those games are way too cheap to be legit for how new they are. Some not even being released yet and already below $30.

How are they making profit off of that, if not for them using stolen Credit Cards and pocketing everything.

KHlover

Banned
Some of those games are way too cheap to be legit for how new they are. Some not even being released yet and already below $30.

How are they making profit off of that, if not for them using stolen Credit Cards and pocketing everything.

How can you get new games up to 40% off before they even release on nuuvem and GMG? Just looking at the price isn't a 100% sure sign.

That About Me section made my sides fly into orbit:

Gamesdeal.com is a professional, secure and reliable game codes store.

Here you can buy online game CD-keys, pc game codes and other game time cards. We guarantee you will get cheap, safe and secure products from us.

We set out with one simple concept in mind. To put the customer first and let everything else, every business activity and consideration flow from that principle.

We understand importance of customer satisfaction to us in order to achieve sustainable development of the company in a long run.

Any valued suggestions will be taken into consideration to improve our service further in the future.

hemo memo

Gold Member
There has to be more to this story. There is no chance PSN banned you for trying to enter two inactive codes. Especially if you scratched off the seal and used them for the first time. No chance.

It's a long story really. Inactive not that the code is used but means it's not registered at retail (What the Sony customer support person told me after I gave him the code and the voucher number) so I think the codes sold to me were stolen or Sony deactivate old US vouchers.

Caayn

Why didn't you just buy it from Steam?

A legit seller of PSN codes is the Playstation Store and Amazon/Gamestop.
I avoid purchasing directly on Steam whenever I can, they are more expensive than other (physical)shop here.
Something doesn't quite add up....
If you were not getting a "special/discounted" price why not buy directly from the official site?

The site shows "paypal" as the only option, why not get a refund through them ?
I bought from them because they where the cheapest I could find without getting into ridiculous cheap territory. And I bought a few small other games from them, which I never had any problems with. I was well aware of how their site looked funny and off.

I can't get a refund through paypal because I didn't pay with paypal. It supports a payment option called "ideal", a payment method unique to my country. And as far as I'm aware ideal doesn't support refunds like that.

Edit: I recieved a response from the seller. But reading it doesn't exactly fill me with hope. Goodbye $40 :(
Hello,
first of all we apologize for the probem with your key. We see this kind of problem for the first time - the responsible departments has already been informed and will try to find a solution.

Derpcrawler

I can't get a refund through paypal because I didn't pay with paypal. It supports a payment option called "ideal", a payment method unique to my country. And as far as I'm aware ideal doesn't support refunds like that.

I guess this is not an ideal method of online payments then.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

This is the EXACT digital equivalent of buying stolen goods.

Because, if someone missed the memo, obtaining digital goods through stolen credit cards is theft, and also a slew of even worse things.

There's obviously going to be consequences to buying stolen goods - whatever knowingly or not, and even if they're just losing the good.

In the Polygon article, Kinguin\G2A point the finger at EA\Ubi\Steam\Blizzard\Whoever, digital purchases chargebacks, for whatever reason, can be delayed to sixty days plus investigation, which makes antifraud problematic.

The ultimate issue rests with Hong Kong's legal system, and the anonymity of sellers, which aren't suffering the full brunt of the law.

Patryn

No one is saying it's illegal. OP isn't being arrested.

Doesn't mean he gets to keep stolen property, however.

Not only is it literally the same as buying stolen goods, its also just an incredibly unwise choice as a consumer.
I certainly would not be giving any payment details to people whose business revolves around using stolen payment details to obtain goods fraudulently

Top Bottom