• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom vs. Duke Nukem 3D

omg_mjd

Doom 2 came along when I had lots of free time so I played the hell out of that game (on an Apple Mac Performa 580CD, no less). When Duke Nukem 3D came around I was a lot busier so I didn't get a chance to play it much.

So, GAF, which do you think is the better game? Did Duke manage to snatch the 2.5D FPS crown from the doomed marine's bloody head?

Tagyhag

It's like choosing between 2 of your kids.

I guess I have to go with Duke 3D. Mostly due to more nostalgia and better level design.

You people are heathens. The meaty double barrel shotgun shot and reload sound alone makes Doom 2 the king.

I still love you all though.

Duke 3D is a really fun game. L.A. Meltdown is a memorable milestone in FPS level design, giving depth, a lively interesting look, and interactivity to a first person experience.

Doom is a masterpiece, and Knee Deep in the Dead is a timeless work of FPS art.

Duke Nukem 3D is Sonic 1.

Doom is Super Mario Bros. 3.

Unless we're just talking about Doom II here in which case yeah they're probably about the same

Doom is better for sure. Better music, enemies, weapons, multiplayer, and more consistent level design. There's something truly special about Doom. Duke is more novel, and was still great in its own way.

Doom > Duke 3D > Doom 2.

All are really great games with textbook FPS elements though (outside of the city levels in Doom 2) and I really do have to appreciate the cool shit that went into Duke 3D that Doom didn't have like the jetpack and the DUKE BOOT

NEO0MJ

I'd like to say Duke, but I haven't replayed it in over a decade so I'm not sure. I replayed Doom a couple of years ago and was wowed by how well it held up.

Both are great but Duke has a jet pack.

I loved that thing.

omg_mjd

Oh come on what about Barrels of Fun?

I loved Doom 2's puzzle-style levels. Of course they made no sense from a narrative point of view (why is a demon guarding a room full of explosive barrels?) but from a purely mechanical standpoint those levels were so much fun to play and figure out.

I feel like Doom 1 was the designers' chance to "tell" the story of Doom and with that out of the way Doom 2 was free to just be a game.

Moff

Doom for the gameplay, Duke for the level design

doom 1 is the only classic fps I replay every few years, though, it's one of the very few true milestones in gaming

Ragnarok

Doom, without question. Duke is ok. Mostly a novelty to me though. I started playing through classic PC FPSes for the first time a few years ago and after Doom, Duke seemed a bit blah.

Neiteio

You guys are more well-versed in classic shooters than me: Did any Japanese developers ever attempt a FPS on PCs around that time? It's just kind of neat to think about how FPS appears to be a genre very much pioneered in the West, vs. something like, say, stylish character action, which was bred and born in the East.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
duke-nukem-s-double-mighty-boot-o.gif

mighty-foot-engaged-o.gif

You can't actually do this anymore :(

Duke Nukem 3D for me. I preferred the level design a lot, I liked its style and tone and the gameplay felt more interesting with its emphasis on vertical movement.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I remember Build engine was better than Doom engine at the time?

Better at verticality I think?

It had features that weren't present in the Doom engine but it also came out after Quake, so it wasn't on the cutting edge of technology or anything.

KKRT00

Doom without a doubt and i love Dukenukem 3D.

---
You guys are more well-versed in classic shooters than me: Did any Japanese developers ever attempt a FPS on PCs around that time? It's just kind of neat to think about how FPS appears to be a genre very much pioneered in the West, vs. something like, say, stylish character action, which was bred and born in the East.
No, they worked on consoles only back then.

playXray

Really tough question. I guess Doom 2 is probably the better game, but, man, I have such nostalgia from playing Duke 3D with my buddies from school.

If I could only ever play one of them ever again? I might choose Doom 2, simply for the super shotgun.

omg_mjd

I remember Build engine was better than Doom engine at the time?

Better at verticality I think?

Build allowed areas to be on top of each other. In Doom you could have varying heights but only single levels (i.e. no bridges or staircases you could pass under).

That's like choosing between Picasso and Salvador Dali, or Van Gogh all three are fantastic painters within their genre and yet they are great for different reasons.

I'd have to give it to the DUKE. That said DOOM as a series has had much better luck in the sequel department and from what little we know of DOOM 4 it looks to be a return to classic asskicking DOOM II style. DOOM II shits all over the first game in the best possible way to be honest, super shotgun basically proves this. BOOM SHLACK BOOM.

For single player Duke 3D was much better than Doom 1 & 2 and Quake 1 and 2. Level design was simply better with more variety and interesting locales. Even underwater levels managed to be pretty good. I do have soft spot for Quake 1's simple and fast moving levels tho, and of course Doom 1 was very good at the time.

edit: All 5 of those games had great weapons, difficult to say which one had best... Doom 2's double barreled shotgun is legendary, but Duke's pipe bombs are hard to beat also.

As someone who probably has around double-digit copies of Duke Nukem 3D, well, you know my answer. Honestly though Doom, Duke, and Quake all occupy a special place in my heart. What a great trio of series from the 90s goddamn

Build allowed areas to be on top of each other. In Doom you could have varying heights but only single levels (i.e. no bridges or staircases you could pass under).

If I remember correctly the Build engine couldn't do that either, at least not visibly have two areas on top of each other. You could have two rooms above each other (which Doom could not I believe), but never have them both in your line of sight. I tried that in the Build level editor and the graphics would go all freaky.

I actually played both for the first time recently (still haven't quite finished either though).

I love how interactive the environments are in Duke, it really makes exploring feel rewarding and engaging, and some of the more crazy stuff is a lot of fun. Core gameplay is solid too.

But Doom is just way better crafted. Better level design, better gunplay, more satisfying weapons, better enemies, and better encounters.

Doom 2, of course.

Duke 3d has aged not that well. Though it's an "important" title in how it brings innovation to the genre with scripts in levels, interaction in the environment, weapons with special effects, etc.

Top Bottom