• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which console had the best version of street fighter II?

Ostinatto

I'm so sad for the PS4 version of SFIV, I wanted this game so bad and it turned up to be garbage!

So, i want to forget that game, and play some Street Fighter II !!!

Which Street Fighter II version is the best?

ANDDDD

Which Console had the best version of Street Fighter II?

street_fighter_ii-perfect_end.jpg

Probably this
20869_front.jpg

-unless you mean baseline II, then I have to think about it for a few minutes :D

EDIT:Snes version of SF II Turbo gets my vote but I also enjoyed the 3DO version of Super

bigkrev

If you are talking Vanilla SF2, SNES is basically your only option

For SSF2T, I'm fairly sure the 3DO or Dreamcast (import) versions are the best

But as far as best game, I'd probably say SSF2THDR on 360

There was a shady bar near my house with a SFII machine in a dark corner in which Zangief could fly through the screen throwing hadoukens with yoga flames coming out of his shins. I think that was the best version.

EDIT:
J/K ofc

RM8

C64 of course.

Street_Fighter_II_-_1992_-_U.S._Gold_Ltd..jpg

No but really, even if not arcade perfect, you can't go wrong with most home versions (SNES, Genesis, TG16, 3DO, etc,)

I thought that the Capcom Generations volume 5 for Saturn (and PS1) was the best one outside of the arcade, but I guess there might have been issues I wasn't paying attention to. I didn't really play the SSF2T for DC even though I bought it for my collection at the time of release, so I can't say I remember that version.

Ostinatto

Probably this
20869_front.jpg

-unless you mean baseline II, then I have to think about it for a few minutes :D

EDIT:Snes version of SF II Turbo gets my vote but I also enjoyed the 3DO version of Super

If you are talking Vanilla SF2, SNES is basically your only option

For SSF2T, I'm fairly sure the 3DO or Dreamcast (import) versions are the best

But as far as best game, I'd probably say SSF2THDR on 360

Wasn't the 3DO version pretty bad gameplay wise?

There was a shady bar near my house with a SFII machine in a dark corner in which Zangief could fly through the screen throwing hadoukens with yoga flames coming out oc his shins. I think that was the best version.

That's the Rainbow Edition i think.

I thought I read the Turbo-grafx edition of ce was pretty good.

Is AWESOME as a PCE game, but it has flaws as a port, more than Genesis CE i'm afraid.

The problem with old ports of WW/CE/Turbo is the lack of "CPS1 chains", but this is only relevant if you are truly hardcore to SFII.

entremet

It's gonna be Capcom Classic Collection volume 2.

I remember reading that's the closest.

Or MAME *cough cough*

RhyDin

I really like SNES Super Street Fighter II Turbo. Great roster, group elimination battle, speed options, Cammy's awesome stage music, etc.

OmegaDL50

I believe the Dreamcast version of Super Street Fighter II X Grand Master Challenge is as close to arcade perfect you are going to get.

Also the Saturn version of Street Fighter 2 Collection version of Super Turbo is fairly spot on.

Does anyone know if the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection version of Hyper Street Fighter 2 played exclusively in Super Turbo mode is accurate?

I do know that Hyper SF2 received a CPS2 Arcade release and version in SFAC is nearly identical.

jerry1594

I believe the Dreamcast version of Super Street Fighter II X Grand Master Challenge is as close to arcade perfect you are going to get.

Also the Saturn version of Street Fighter 2 Collection version of Super Turbo is fairly spot on.

Does anyone know if the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection version of Hyper Street Fighter 2 played exclusively in Super Turbo mode is accurate?

I do know that Hyper SF2 received a CPS2 Arcade release and version in SFAC is nearly identical.
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_2_Turbo#Game_Versions

damn that sounds shitty

It is! i had the pleasure of playing it in Japan in 2013 and, even if is exactly identical to the Arcade because CPS1 has a 68000 CPU, there is no native option for install the game on a HDD and you need to insert another disk every match. It is still one of the best versions anyway.

gafneo

Banned
The SNes version is the most fun. The 3do is the closest to arcade. HD remix is the most complete. Mame on a shield tablet is basically like a console port.

OmegaDL50

how accurate is MAME emulation?

Seeing how the roms from MAME are literally dumps from the Arcade board....

However the issue with is the delay on LCD screens.

Refer to this thread - http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/178437/official-shmupmame-super-turbo-thread

This guy compares the Arcade Board on a supergun with Shmupmame and times it via a lagless CRT and its very, very, close.

Dare I say this will be as close you are going to get to an authentic Super Turbo experience without A) owning the actual Arcade board yourself or B) playing on the Dreamcast version with adjust dipswitch settings which also has it's own caveats.

Ironically the Wiki from SRK is perfect for things like this, however they don't mention anything about HSF2 for either the console or CPS2 Arcade release when played in ST mode.

isn't the Street Fighter Collection on PS2 arcade perfect?

Because Hyper isn't considered a version of ST even though that is the base. The nuances that make ST what it is don't even reflect in Hyper in a way where even putting 2 O or ST characters on the screen would actually replicate ST in some believable way.

Hyper is its own thing and is considered as such. Just as no Savior player would even look at Chronicle in the same manner because the game is Savior 2 at its base and the Savior nuances don't reflect in Chronicle.

To answer the OP's question that game would be Grand Master Challenge on Dreamcast. Lots of cool stuff to fiddle with under the hood including putting the bonus games back in.

HD Remix has its basis on GMC and Remix Mode for all the shit it gets is pretty damn cool. 2 Hit juggling Tiger Knees are in fact the Bee's Knees!

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
It'll always be the SNES original for me. The amount of copies we sold at £70 each back then (small indie retailer) was phenomenal. I'm sure there are technically better versions but that's also the version we played in my uni days. Good times!

eso76

Not including emulated versions and late ports for collections and stuff..

The x68000 version is pretty much arcade perfect as is the case with all cps1 games afaik

Man if people here even suspected a machine existed that allowed them to play a perfect sf2 port at home back then..

I doubt it's perfect, but the Saturn collection is still my go-to version of SSF2 and SSF2T. It just feels so damn responsive compared to every other version I've played, mostly thanks to the Saturn pad.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
SFII: SNES
SFII' CE: PCE
SFIIT: Genesis
SSFII: Genesis
SSFIIT: Dreamcast

That's counting console ports and not collections. If I were going to play any of these games today, though, I'd fire up an emulator.

Also the best version of the soundtrack was Gametek's PC port of Super Turbo.

3DO version of Super Turbo is still the best console version of any of SFII's incarnations to my knowledge. People have been wanting a home version that matched it since it released.

The 3DO version is not the best port and was missing the warping floor effect. IIRC ghe Dreamcast version, with the right settings, is considered the closest, but it says a lot about the game when the arcade version is still used in tournaments.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Am I forgetting something? I don't recall there being a Street Fighter II collection on PS2. There's Hyper which was included in the Anniversary Collection.

Top Bottom