• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS Vita a 'legacy platform' outside of Japan and Asia

SFenton

Make me legacy if old.

From BitParade

Speaking at Sony's 2015 Investor Relations Day, Sony Computer Entertainment's President and Global CEO, Andrew House, called the PlayStation Vita a "legacy platform".

What does this mean for the Vita to be labelled as a "legacy platform"? Basically, expect to see no more major commitments to it as far as major support and investments go outside of Japan and Asia.

I don't wish that I hadn't bought mine, but damn if I wouldn't be so sure about buying this thing if I could've seen the future.

EDIT: Direct quote from House

House also cast a dim view of the company's handheld business. While he noted that the Vita platform remains "strong and vibrant" in Asia and Japan, his outlook for the current fiscal year included declines in the US and Europe. Additionally, he referred to the PlayStation Vita and its microconsole counterpart the PlayStation TV as "legacy platforms" when discussing a write-off of hardware components for the two.

Andrefpvs

Then please give us multiple account support. If certain regions are going to have more content, I want to be able to buy it and play it on my account.

KHlover

Banned
Going by that definition of legacy platform it has already been like that since 2013 or so. Good on him for admitting it, though :/

Jomjom

Banned
Maybe if it becomes a legacy platform it'll be hacked faster and Sony won't care. I just want to be able to play every single PS1 and PSP game on my Vita.

Toki767

Basically just means Japanese publishers and indie developers will continue to make games for it.

So same as the past few years.

AmyS

So, PSN support for VITA is going to end, too?

Serious question, I just got VITA a couple weeks back..

That's fine. Because the indie support is magnificent and I have more games hitting Vita I want to play in 2016 than any other platform.

Vita is good enough for me. A fan until the end.

keit4

Banned
Old news but still a shame, I genuinely think that the Vita is an awesome platform (Sony's best platform since PS2 in terms of potential if you ask me). Sony abandoned it too early and the worst thing is that they barely tried.

Sophia

"We screwed up to begin with, so lets position our product so that it fails some more."

Responding to perceived or real failure by setting your product up so that it fails some more has never been a good business strategy. But it's been Sony's MO with the PSP and Vita in regards to western markets. It's devastating too, because the Vita is an impressive set of hardware despite it's flaws.

Alec

I appreciate them putting out the PSTV here, at least. They had to have known it wouldn't make any money but they did it because we had a petition and shit and they listened to us. I love my Vita and I'm glad they gave it a shot, but I totally understand why they're saying this. It's a bummer. :(

Top Bottom