• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus CEO: The headset and computer to run it will cost you ~$1,500

BD1

Banned
At the Re/Code Code Conference today, CEO Brendan Iribe said Oculus users would need to spend around $1,500 for the headset & a computer powerful enough to run it.

“We are looking at an all-in price, if you have to go out and actually need to buy a new computer and you’re going to buy the Rift … at most you should be in that $1,500 range,” Iribe said onstage at Re/code’s annual Code Conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif. Over time, he’d like to see that cost come down to under $1,000.

Still nothing on the actual cost of the headset proper, but now we know around what the total rig will cost.

http://recode.net/2015/05/27/oculus-rift-total-package-price-around-1500/

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It sounds like you need a pretty powerful PC to use the Oculus, which could run up to around $1500 after tax pretty easily, especially if you're adding a monitor into the mix.

That wouldn't even leave all that much money left over for the Oculus itself.

Matush

Morpheus it is then I guess, I don't see myself spending over $1000 for VR to work, also, I don't think Morpheus will cost over $350.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
good luck with that.

basically giving sony a home run.

Sounds about right, really. It's not a budget platform. Morpheus will probably give you more bang for your buck but if you're looking for the top of the line experience you're paying a pretty penny for this.

If you break down the Morpheus cost you're looking at 400 for the PS4, probably that again, maybe 350 for Morpheus itself. Then the camera and move controllers on top. So 800-900?

Feep

Banned
Anyone with a PC and knowledge on how to upgrade it won't nearly be in this range, but that's a pretty small percentage of people. Looks like Morpheus and Gear VR should be opening things to the public, but it's a shame they won't get this kind of fidelity.

So if Sony comes in with a reasonable price for the Morpheus and drops the PS4's price by $50-$100, then the consumer would potentially have to pay nearly double for a gaming PC and a Rift? Yikes. Oculus better deliver one helluva better experience for that kind of price disparity, but I suppose the devices are likely aimed at somewhat different market segments anyway.

Stevey

People saying this wont be a success because they cant/don't want to spend the money on it?
What about the millions of people that already have a PC good enough to use it?

Alec

My PC meets the specs as it is, and it's from 2011 (except for the video card, which is recent). I think trying to sell an 'all-in' package would be a mistake. It might make people feel like they HAVE to buy that when they don't actually need to, which will give it negative attention.

Kysen

Mass market ambition dead in the water at that price. I guess those few PC folk with monster rigs will be happy.

Deadstar

Excellent. I love when new tech targets the high end. My pc is ready! Eventually the tech will get cheaper and more people can come in to enjoy it.

Let's see how many of the posters who like to spout how morpheus has no chance and that the rift and vive are gonna blow it out of the water turn up to this thread ;)

Why's that? The alternatives are all either more expensive or less capable. I don't think it'll sell gangbusters, but it's not badly positioned at all.
What are you drawing those conclusions from?

I just think the console space will prove to be a better trojan horse for VR tech. It will get into more hands because of companies like Sony, thus making it likely that consumers will more commonly associate Sony with VR.

And Oculus has some considerable competition in the PC space in the form of the HTC Vive.

Curious if Facebook would be willing to produce dedicated computing hardware for Oculus. Take advantage of scale, and get a pre-built machine on the market for $1K, headset bundled.

Sony is going to have the first step in the mass market, though. Which is worrying. They do not have the processing power available for the ideal VR experience.

bj00rn_

Banned
good luck with that.

basically giving sony a home run.

And that's a good thing, just like high end PC gaming today; let the masses have their linear front-loaded fun and let other people go their own ways. Let Oculus give people the option to go for a premium VR experience, and then people who doesn't care about that can go for the PS4 and a Morpheus. It's a win-win; everyone gets exactly what they want.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Let's see how many of the posters who like to spout how morpheus has no chance and that the rift and vive are gonna blow it out of the water turn up to this thread ;)

Considering we really know nothing about the Morpheus and the kind of experiences it can going to offer when running on a PS4... it's kind of hard to say at this point, no?

Having such a high price of entry isn't going to help VR in the slightest. Guess it's up to Morpheus.

It all depends on the content. Depending on the experiences that become available, this could easily be viewed as a new frontier for home computers. PCs costs thousands of dollars back in the 90s, but that certainly didn't stop them from gaining traction.

Horp

Creating a cheap and bad product is a way leading to certain failure. There are multiple, very obvious reasons for this.

1. The amount of people that will buy Rift right off the bat is still not a huge amount of people, so having a cheap product that relies on tons of sales just wont work. There just wont be tons of sales for the first generation of VR.

2. If the Rift is bad experience cause they cheaped on hardware or research to keep the price down, VR will get really bad word of mouth and will never ever take off. Word of mouth is everything since trailers or posters can't really sell VR well.

3. The enthusiasts and business customers (for anything from museums to B2B visualisation stuff) have no problems with a "high" price on the device (it's not high for a company), but they every problem with a bad device giving their end customers a bad experience.

I, in fact, think the first generation of Rift should be even more expensive (but better). Just like the first PCs were extremely expensive, or even how DVD players were really expensive in the beginning. They were succesful anyway cause they were good products and as years went on the hardware became cheaper and cheaper; right in line with the potential customer base growing, mostly based on word of mouth (as is always the case for new tech).

ekim

Mass market ambition dead in the water at that price. I guess those few PC folk with monster rigs will be happy.

You won't reach the mass market within a few months. Look at the costs of the first dvd or BluRay players. Combined with a decent TV back then you were in the same range if not even higher. Enthusiasts will pick it up and it will be more affordable as time goes by.

Did they just hand over the ball to Sony?

Wow.

Are they even really competing with Sony? It's not like you have the choice of going Rift or Morpheus on PS4. If you have a PC, you're not going to buy a Morpheus for it. Their competition is the Vive, and you can expect around the same price point if not higher on that front.

grtkbrandon

Neo Member
Anyone who thinks real VR is going to hit mass market appeal during the first generation launch is fooling their self. This is just the first step.

Why is that shocking? We all knew that you would need a relatively good PC to run it. Headset itself is going to probably run ~$300-400 dollars.

I thought we only learned that very recently. The thing is, a relatively good PC (my laptop can run Far Cry 3, Skyrim, etc) should cost at MOST $1000, which means the headset is around $500. Having said that, there is no way my $1000 laptop is going to be able to run Occulus optimally, so I'm hoping this means that he's expecting people to own a $1400 PC, and the headset will cost $100...and even still, there's just no part of me that can justify spending $1500 total on any kind of gaming experience. I know there are people out there to whom money is no object and will buy it regardless, but that price tag completely leaves out the vast majority of people in the world.

Curious if Facebook would be willing to produce dedicated computing hardware for Oculus. Take advantage of scale, and get a pre-built machine on the market for $1K, headset bundled.

Sony is going to have the first step in the mass market, though. Which is worrying. They do not have the processing power available for the ideal VR experience.

Shouldn't be worrying. Their demos look solid. Their hardware is solid. They have 22M consumers who already owns PS4, and they can sell Morpheus on Best Buy shelves.

Oculus can enjoy the high end experience, but Sony is bringing it to your general audience it's a good for everyone including Oculus.

Top Bottom